[FM24] Managerial Realism: Eric Castel's Bath City Chronicles

Eric Castel

Greetings fellow FM enthusiasts,

After years of being a dedicated reader and silent observer, I've decided it's finally time to make my debut as a poster. My journey with Championship Manager (CM) and Football Manager (FM) dates back as far as I can remember. I've always sought ways to push the boundaries and create unique challenges within the beautiful game.

The inspiration for this venture came from a widespread sentiment that FM24 might be, for some, a bit too easy and not challenging. As someone who has been immersed in the world of virtual football management for a lifetime, I felt compelled to share my own perspective and a distinctive approach to the game.

My intention is to offer a fresh perspective and an exciting twist on the traditional Football Manager experience. With this simulation, I'm not just aiming for difficulty. I'm striving for an unparalleled level of realism. The heart of this endeavor is to provide a platform for fellow (probably few) enthusiasts who, like me, want to make their managerial journeys truly challenging, meaningful, and authentic.

Welcome to " Eric Castel's Bath City Chronicles," a journey that will take you through the trials and tribulations of a football manager like no other. In this story, we will dive deep into the world of football management as we follow the fortunes of Eric Castel, the newly appointed manager of Bath City – a modest, low-tier English football club.

This simulation is not about achieving instant success or winning every match. No, dear readers, it is about realism and the genuine experience of managing a club from the lower echelons of English football. Our primary goal is to create an engaging, immersive, and authentic football manager story. To that end, here are the key rules and principles that will guide our journey:

• Realism Over Optimization: Eric Castel is an unknown manager and Bath City is far from a football powerhouse. Our main objective is to reflect the struggles and challenges faced by a real-life lower-tier manager. We'll make decisions that prioritize authenticity and sensible long-term development over immediate success.
  • Squad Management: Transfers will be conducted with a keen eye on the club's financial stability and adherence to lower league budgets. Castel will have to make the best of the players he has, focusing on youth development and prudent scouting. 
  • Youth Development: Building a strong foundation for the future is crucial. We'll pay attention to nurturing and promoting young talent from our own academy, keeping an eye out for potential gems.
  • Tactical Flexibility: Our manager, Eric Castel, will adapt to circumstances and opponents. We'll take a realistic approach to tactics and formations, evolving as we see fit.
  • Financial Prudence: Managing a lower-tier club means adhering to tight financial constraints. Transfers will be balanced against the club's revenue, wage budgets, and the need to remain afloat.

Our journey with Eric Castel and Bath City promises to be a rollercoaster ride filled with challenges, triumphs, and the realism that every true football manager enthusiast craves.

So, fasten your seatbelts, and join me as I embark on "Eric Castel's Bath City Chronicles" – an adventure through the beautiful game's uncharted territories, one match at a time.

Roots in Two Worlds

Born to a French father and an English mother, Eric Castel inherited a dual identity. He was immersed in two rich footballing cultures, exposed to the flair of French football and the English grit. From a young age, his parents recognized his profound love for the sport, and his room was adorned with posters of French and English footballing legends alike.

Sundays in the Grassroots

Eric's own playing career was modest at best. A dedicated Sunday league footballer, he wasn't gracing the pages of football magazines, nor did he ever make it to the professional stage. But the local Sunday leagues were where he truly belonged. His love for the grassroots game, the camaraderie of the amateur players, and the pure joy of playing drove him week in and week out.

The Call of Coaching

As his playing days waned and his knees grew less forgiving, Castel found solace in coaching. A chance encounter with a Bath City Academy Director during one of his Sunday league matches changed the course of his life. The Director saw something in Eric that transcended his modest playing abilities – an innate understanding of the game, a passion for teaching, and an unwavering commitment to improvement.

From Academy to Aspirations

For years, Castel honed his coaching skills in the academy, nurturing young talents, instilling discipline, and instigating a deep appreciation for the sport. His journey was defined by the countless hours spent on the training ground, in classrooms, and on the sidelines of youth matches. The academy's players respected him not just for his knowledge but also for his genuine care for their development.

The Call to the First Team

Then, at the age of 41, an opportunity arose that would change the course of Eric Castel's life. Bath City's first-team manager had fallen ill, and they were in need of an interim coach. Despite his lack of professional playing experience and his unassuming presence, Eric Castel was chosen to lead the first team. It was a leap of faith, a decision that raised eyebrows among the footballing pundits, but it was a chance he wasn't going to let slip away.

A Journey Begins

Eric Castel's journey with Bath City began, not as a storied manager with a glittering career, but as a humble, passionate individual whose love for the game had driven him from the grassroots to the professional stage. The odds were stacked against him, but his resolve was unwavering. Castel's story is one of unlikely beginnings and a relentless pursuit of the dream to turn Bath City into a force to be reckoned with in English football.

As we dive into "Eric Castel's Bath City Chronicles" remember that every match, every decision, and every step he takes is imbued with the spirit of someone who has come a long way in the world of football, against all odds. Together, we'll follow Eric Castel's journey, sharing in the trials and tribulations of a manager whose love for the game knows no bounds.

image.png.278bb02129846f651ce41c017f9ef58d.png

image.png.09829cbb9fa45cba25460d3e477726ed.png

As Eric Castel took his first steps into the world of Bath City management, he knew that the path ahead wouldn't be a stroll in the park. The expectations, the budget constraints, and the sheer challenge of turning a modest club into a force to be reckoned with weighed heavily on his shoulders. With a board aiming for mid-table safety and fervent supporters dreaming of playoff glory, Castel had his work cut out for him.

The board's expectations were clear: a mid-table finish in the Vanarama South. Bath City was a club that had come to terms with its limitations, and the board's priorities were grounded in realism. Their aim was to maintain stability, avoid financial pitfalls, and gradually build a platform for the future. Eric Castel understood this perspective and recognized that the path to success would be a gradual climb.

image.png.3e9e30c3f3fd0b18a1d4ab5e3e171b75.png

On the other hand, the supporters, fueled by unwavering passion, had grander aspirations. They yearned for the excitement of playoff football, the thrill of promotion, and the prospect of reaching new heights. For them, every match day was an emotional rollercoaster, and their loyalty was unwavering. Castel had to find a way to manage these heightened expectations while staying true to the board's more cautious approach.

image.png.be43273eb82d4add7ab5d5528be4b290.png

One of Castel's initial challenges was the club's financial situation. The annual payroll was substantial, hovering around €428,000. With a squad of 19 players, ranging from the lowest-paid at €300 per annum to the top earner at €39,500 per annum it was evident that managing the budget would be a delicate balance. Eric knew that any misstep could plunge the club into financial turmoil, a situation he was determined to avoid.

image.thumb.png.dd99d870b826d0936725b55c6df04567.png

image.thumb.png.97812d311ae72ae3a92a25189e2b0c4e.png

The league itself presented a competitive landscape. Bath City was pegged to finish 11th out of 24 teams, right in the middle of the pack. Castel saw this as both a challenge and an opportunity. To meet the board's expectations, he needed to find the right blend of experience, emerging talent, and tactical acumen to secure mid-table safety. At the same time, the possibility of playoff football remained tantalizingly within reach...

image.thumb.png.c4514997e6ba12c1d7102eca3b258b6a.png

As the summer sun bathed the training ground in a warm glow, Eric Castel stood amidst the players of Bath City, lost in his world. His mind buzzed with tactical intricacies, a plan carefully woven to make the most of the resources at his disposal.

A Symphony of Asymmetry:  4-1-3-2 Asymmetric

Defensive Shield: Batten, Parselle, Raynes, and Greenslade

Castel had envisioned an asymmetric 4-1-3-2 formation, a tactical symphony where each player's strengths would harmonize to create a formidable unit. At the defensive core, Batten and Parselle stood tall as the central defensive duo, the bedrock upon which Bath City's fortress would be built.

On the right flank, Raynes emerged as the lone sentinel, a complete wingback with the entire right side to conquer. Meanwhile, Greenslade would grace the left side, his role defined as a supporting wingback, a tireless presence to both defend and join the attack.

Midfield Maestros: Ruse, Clarke, and Smith

Ruse, the midfield enforcer, positioned himself in front of the back four, ready to disrupt opposition plays as the ball-winning midfielder. Beside him, Clarke and Smith formed a dynamic midfield trio, orchestrating plays, and dictating the tempo with a blend of creativity and industry.

Frontline Dynamics: Fletcher, Wilson, and Cooke

Moving forward, Fletcher took up the mantle of an inside forward, cutting in from the left with finesse and flair. Ahead of him, Wilson assumed the role of a pressing forward, applying relentless pressure on the opposition's defense. Cooke, as the advanced forward, poised himself to capitalize on opportunities and spearhead the attacking charge.

image.thumb.png.d6a370d802ac05b30d8841cc81e51abe.png

With a balanced mentality, Castel aimed to strike a harmony between defensive solidity and attacking flair. The ethos was clear – a team capable of adapting to various situations, blending resilience and creativity in equal measure.

In possession, the team would orchestrate overlapping movements from both flanks, a tactical melody designed to stretch opposition defenses and create avenues for penetration. The players were drilled to seamlessly transition from defense to attack, each movement a note in the beautiful symphony Castel envisioned.

Out of possession, the team adopted a standard defensive line, a cohesive unit ready to repel opposing advances. The mid-block line of engagement signaled a proactive approach, aiming to stifle opposition creativity in the middle of the park.

In transition, the players were encouraged to counterattack swiftly when possession was regained, turning defensive moments into potent offensive opportunities.

And so, with the tactical blueprint laid out, Eric Castel led his squad into preseason. The training ground echoed with the sounds of drills, the players adapting to the nuances of the 4-1-3-2 formation. The journey had begun, and as the first friendly fixtures loomed on the horizon, Bath City was poised to unveil a brand of football that would captivate hearts and defy expectations. The stage was set, the players were primed, and Eric Castel's vision for Bath City was about to unfold in the rhythm of the beautiful game...

Edited by Eric Castel

Great start to the thread. Most narratives in this forum, like the YouTube FM careers are a succession of success after success. I share your desire for a proper challenge, as my own thread here indicates. However, a warning - I'd ported over a save from FM23 and in the "early access" game I was struggling, close to the sack. The moment I upgraded to the full version, all the criticisms people were pointing out in the GD forum hit me - high scores, easy victories. I coasted to a title I should never have been near. As I result, I'm looking for ways to 'manipulate' my save to make it difficult again, at least until SI release an update that gets the balance better. Even if you can achieve a sense of realism for your own managerial style and your team, there is the ongoing problem of AI squad management making the challenge stupidly easy in future seasons - again, I've had to work in a "fix" to keep the abilities on incoming players lower than the game gives me.

Anyway, good luck with this one - I'll be following your progress with interest.

The Preseason

image.png.2dd55fb1e07dc35c2b9a4bce8b05f247.png

Eric Castel watched with satisfaction as his team notched four wins out of five friendly matches. The weaker opponents may have been chosen strategically to boost confidence and foster team cohesion, but victories were victories, and the players reveled in the taste of success.

The training ground buzzed with positivity, and the lack of serious injuries provided an extra layer of relief for the gaffer. The squad was shaping up, the pieces falling into place. However, a stark reminder of the challenges ahead came in the form of a 4-4 draw against Hereford FC. A halftime lead of 3-0 evaporated into an unforeseen second-half struggle, hinting at potential issues in squad depth beyond the starting eleven. Eric Castel took note, realizing that the upcoming season might demand more than just a strong first eleven.

Transfers

Amidst the preseason victories, the transfer market remained eerily quiet. Eric Castel, wise and patient, opted to give every existing player a chance to showcase their worth. He wanted to establish his authority as the manager and build a rapport with the squad, supporters, and the board before making any significant moves. The only addition to the roster was Kinsley McKechnie, an amateur goalkeeper who had trained with the team during the summer. Castel saw potential in the young shot-stopper and offered him a youth contract, a testament to his commitment to nurturing talent within the club.

image.png.17e63ea74269ded470d88d8a8524e5b6.png

As the preseason curtain fell and August arrived, the anticipation for the first competitive game hung in the air. The opponent: Dartford, a formidable side expected to contend for playoff positions. The road ahead was challenging, and Castel knew that this encounter would serve as a litmus test for his squad.

image.png.63ff2c6f4436553da01968da42a7c6de.png

August Summary

The day arrived, and Bath City geared up for battle. The bus rumbled along the highway, carrying the hopes and aspirations of a club on the cusp of a new era. Dartford's stadium loomed large, a fortress awaiting the clash of the two teams.

The game was even and very close, a true test of Bath City's mettle. However, superior finishing ultimately tipped the scales in Eric Castel's Bath City favor. Things didn't start well for the manager and his team in his debut match. In the 14th minute, Dartford's target forward, Harvey Bradbury, broke the deadlock with a close-range effort, putting Bath City on the back foot.

Despite the early setback, Bath City players showcased resilience and determination. The turning point came in the 25th minute when inside forward Alex Fletcher leveled the score, capitalizing on an assist from attacking complete wingback Joe Raynes. The momentum swung in Bath City's favor, and just before halftime, pressing forward Scott Wilson unleashed a rifled drive, giving the visitors a well-deserved lead in the 37th minute.

The game all but sealed its fate when poacher Cody Cooke calmly converted a penalty just after the second half kicked off, extending Bath City's advantage to 3-1 in the 49th minute. With the comfortable lead in hand, Eric Castel strategically instructed his team to drop the tempo and adopt a more cautious mentality. The focus was on preserving the lead and securing the win.

Dartford, desperate to claw their way back, tried to mount a comeback, but Bath City's defense held firm. The clock ticked away, and the score remained unchanged until the final whistle. It was a very good start for Eric Castel and Bath City, a match where everything went as planned.

image.png.5f8c28c96533d8ae48529a784280bb9a.png

Gaining confidence and morale from the first win, Bath City burst into the league with a dazzling display, claiming victory in their first three games and igniting the hopes of supporters who dared to dream of glory. The exhilarating start was like a symphony of success, each win a note in the melodic journey of Eric Castel's managerial debut.

The celebrations echoed through the pubs of the city, the cheers of triumph ringing in the ears of those who believed that this could be their season. Bath City, once perceived as underdogs, had become the talk of the town.

However, the euphoria was fleeting, and reality soon set in. The momentum that propelled Bath City to a perfect start began to wane. In the subsequent three games, the club faced the harsh reality of the footballing grind—a duo of draws and a defeat. The dream start was replaced by a dose of humility, a reminder that the road to success in football is often winding and unpredictable.

The root cause of the dip in form became glaringly evident—squad depth. As Eric Castel sought to rotate his starting eleven, providing much-needed rest for key players, the replacements struggled to fill the void. It was a stark realization that Bath City's roster, while formidable in its first-choice lineup, lacked the depth required for a sustained assault on the league.

The players who stepped onto the pitch in lieu of regular starters fought valiantly, but the gap in quality was palpable. The team that once danced seamlessly through opposition defenses found itself stumbling. Castel, the astute tactician, recognized the need for reinforcements, understanding that success in the long and demanding football season required more than just a talented starting eleven.

As Eric Castel delved into training sessions, tactical meetings, and the complexities of managing a lower-tier club, his vision for the team evolved. The early setbacks were not viewed as roadblocks but as opportunities to learn, adapt, and fortify the squad. 

image.thumb.png.c67075ef17116c961e0be90f201ff675.png

Eric focused on the challenge that lay ahead in September.

image.png.0a1214edb56014957504149d6837dd3d.png

This is excellent. I love the focus on realism, particularly on the financial side. I've always found balancing the books one of the most intriguing parts of the game, especially at the lower levels.

More than that, I really like the narrative style you've got going on this. It's inspiring me to take a shot myself (just discovered these forums). Above all, I think Football Manager is an RP game, and it's nice to see the way you've leaned into that. I laughed when you managed to sneak the ever present "raised eyebrows" of the footballing world into Castel's biography.

Best of luck!

This is exactly how I play FM, slightly overachieving once in a while is ok, but what I'm always looking for is to be as realistic as possible even if that means struggling for years. I'll be following for sure!

Edited by Icy

September Summary

September unfolded like a promising chapter in Bath City's football narrative. The fixture list seemed to favor them, with encounters against teams languishing at the lower end of the league table. Eric Castel eyed this as an opportunity for his squad to capitalize, gain momentum, and make a significant ascent up the standings.

The players embraced the challenge with gusto, displaying their skill on the field. The month kicked off with three impressive victories, each a testament to the hard work and cohesion fostered within the squad. Bath City seemed to be hitting its stride, the collective effort pushing them into the upper echelons of the league table.

A lone hiccup came in the form of a home draw against Dover, a minor blemish on an otherwise stellar month. Despite the missed opportunity for a perfect record, the squad's resilience and commitment shone through.

image.png.f1c516d79615a144ebe81d6c09d77fe2.png

League

As the final whistle blew on the last September fixture, Bath City found themselves in the 5th position, a commendable climb up the ladder. Eric Castel couldn't help but feel a sense of pride in the team's performance, the players living up to the expectations set at the beginning of the month.

image.thumb.png.300ed8b92bcda1ee68961c8258ad2eb4.png

Cup & Finances

The success on the league front was mirrored in the FA Cup qualifying rounds. Bath City, facing lower-tier opponents at Twerton Park, navigated through the second and third qualifying rounds with ease, securing two more victories. The cash balance swelled, injecting a healthy dose of financial stability into the club.

image.png.bf3ed9836d0ab62c837a25986b5beb67.png

Job Security

The dawn of Eric Castel's tenure as Bath City's manager heralded a promising era for the club. From the outset, the echoes of optimism reverberated through the hallowed halls of the team's headquarters. The board, tasked with overseeing the club's fortunes, wore smiles of approval, their satisfaction evident in the affirmative nods exchanged during meetings. Their expectations were not only met but exceeded.

image.png.1b3a2a6615e519abb426d1e5a9877c74.png

The supporters, the lifeblood of Bath City, were also very pleased with the promising start. Eric Castel's impact extended beyond tactics. The manager's decisions, both on and off the field, reflected a keen understanding of the club's ethos and a commitment to its upward trajectory. It resonated in the hearts of those who had invested their passion and loyalty into the club. The terrace discussions buzzed with approval, and the once-critical voices now echoed sentiments of satisfaction.

image.png.4bfabf90cdf4ebb689d6620263375657.png

Winter (October) is Coming...

The night settled into Eric Castel's office, the air heavy with the weight of forthcoming challenges. As the clock ticked, he found solace in the familiarity of late hours, a routine that allowed him to navigate the intricacies of management. A bottle of Bordeaux, uncorked with a satisfying pop, awaited on his desk—a small luxury to punctuate the intensity of the managerial grind.

Sipping the rich red wine, Eric took a moment to reflect. The recent successes had painted a canvas of optimism, but the looming October fixtures cast shadows of uncertainty. The fixture list, like a daunting maze, promised a stern test for Bath City. Leading the charge were encounters with league leaders Worthing, not once but twice—once in the league and again in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup.

In the midst of the formidable challenges, a historic rivalry awaited. Yeovil, the undisputed favorite to win the league with a staggering annual salary three times that of Bath City's, emerged as a formidable opponent. The sheer financial gap threatened to overshadow Bath's spirited campaign.

Adding to the complexity, a journey to face the formidable Tonbridge, currently holding the third spot in the league table, loomed on the horizon. The away match presented its own set of trials.

As Eric contemplated the trials ahead, he acknowledged the fragility of success in football. A bad run in October could unravel the hard-earned momentum. Yet, for now, he chose to set aside the tactical board, the looming fixtures, and the weight of expectations. Instead, he immersed himself in the warmth of Bordeaux, allowing the velvety notes to transport him to a realm of dreams—dreams of future glory, of victories against formidable rivals, and of Bath City etching its name in footballing history.

image.png.8d8f11ea3c3c2aee68484ae898ee5cdf.png

October Summary Part 1:  The shadows of a bogey team

October dawned with Bath City riding the coattails of a triumphant September, the winds of success billowing their sails. Eric Castel and his squad approached their first challenge, Braintree on the road, with a cautious optimism. The mid-table team had the potential to be a threat if not approached with the respect it deserved.

As the whistle blew, Bath City found themselves in a contest where the performance didn't quite match the soaring expectations. Despite being dominated for the majority of the game, the squad showcased a remarkable trait—clinical finishing. The final scoreline read 2-0 in Bath City's favor, a testament to their ability to seize opportunities even on an off day. Spirits were high as they packed their bags for the next challenge.

The next rendezvous was set for Twerton Park, a stage ablaze with excitement for the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round against league leaders, Worthing. Bath City's faithful supporters, electrified by the fantastic start to the season, infused the air with palpable energy. The anticipation translated into an extraordinary first-half performance, leaving the pitch at halftime with a commanding 3-0 lead. The stadium reverberated with cheers, and the players, fueled by the energy of the crowd, felt invincible.

However, the sweet melody of success abruptly shifted into a discordant nightmare in the second half. Worthing, refusing to bow down, mounted a formidable comeback. The 3-0 lead dissolved into a 3-3 draw, a cruel twist of fate that sent the FA Cup tie hurtling towards a rematch on Worthing's turf in just three days. The already challenging and packed October fixture list now loomed even more hectic, testing the resilience and depth of Bath City's squad.

The high spirits that had characterized the month's beginning now faced a stern test. The tantalizing taste of victory had turned bittersweet, leaving Bath City with a bitter aftertaste of what could have been. As Eric Castel gathered his players in the aftermath of the draw, he knew that the journey through October had taken an unexpected turn, and the squad would need to dig deep to navigate the challenges that lay ahead. The magic of September lingered in the air, but the true test of character awaited in the unpredictable twists of October's footballing tale.

image.png.a278533de8fc15f2e656d2e2c58ea78a.png

The rematch against Worthing was more than a game for Eric Castel and his resilient Bath City squad; it was an opportunity for redemption, a chance to set the record straight. Determination radiated through the players as they took to the pitch, fueled by the memories of the previous draw that had denied them victory.

From the first whistle, Bath City dominated proceedings, displaying a level of control that was both commendable and necessary. The breakthrough they sought arrived just before halftime, a well-deserved 0-1 lead that hinted at the determination pulsing through every player on the field.

With the taste of the previous draw still lingering, Bath City aimed to secure their triumph definitively. The players pressed forward relentlessly in the second half, launching wave after wave of attacks. However, Worthing, a team that seemed to defy defeat, held their ground with remarkable resilience.

In an incredible turn of events, just minutes before the final whistle, Worthing once again managed to find the net, leveling the score and forcing the match into overtime. Eric, on the sidelines, could hardly believe the unfolding drama. The opposition, refusing to yield, had once more risen to the occasion.

Overtime passed without significant incident, and the fate of the match hung in the balance as the tension heightened. The inevitable conclusion arrived — a penalty shootout. Eric, with a heavy heart, rallied his players, trying to infuse them with the confidence needed to face the crucial moment.

Bath City executed their penalties with precision, each kick raising hopes of redemption. Yet, in a cruel twist of fate, the decisive moment came when J. Thomas's kick missed the mark. He was the last shooter. Worthing, despite being outplayed in both games, secured their passage to the next round.

image.thumb.png.72999b57e8faa9649ed35d4c3e5b2529.png

image.png.5971875c029a4b11c7739f291f5e0072.png

Eric, who had witnessed his team's dominance on the pitch, was left grappling with the harsh reality of elimination. For him and his squad, the defeat posed profound questions. Could this be a turning point, a moment that would define their resilience and character in the face of adversity?

October Summary Part 2: Redemption

The aftermath of the Cup defeat against Worthing in extra time cast a shadow over Bath City, not just in terms of disqualification but also in the team's spirit. With just a scant three days to recover, a daunting challenge awaited them – an encounter with the formidable Tonbridge side, riding high on a six-game winning streak and pushing for the top spot. Adding to the complexity, the psychological toll of the Cup loss was compounded by fatigue, as this would be the third game in seven days, two of which were played away from home and one that had gone into extra time.

Eric Castel, knowing the importance of preserving the squad's fitness and preventing injuries, made the strategic decision to rotate key players, hoping for the best against the relentless Tonbridge. As anticipated, Tonbridge showcased their prowess, securing a 3-1 victory as Bath City struggled to resist.

The defeat intensified the pressure on the squad as they prepared for a crucial home game against mid-table Taunton. The goal was clear – Bath City needed a win. It wasn't just about the result; it was a psychological imperative. Eric needed his team to bounce back swiftly from the recent string of disappointing outcomes. The players, without dazzling, delivered a 3-1 win, and the job was done.

Now, the stage was set for a league clash against Worthing, the team that had proven to be a persistent thorn in Bath City's side. The haunting memories of the Cup defeat loomed large, and Eric sought to ignite a spark in his players by urging them to seek revenge. The match began with Bath City taking an early lead, mirroring previous encounters against Worthing. However, a sense of déjà vu unfolded as Worthing responded with two quick goals just before halftime, seizing the lead once again.

In disbelief, Eric grappled with the sense that history was repeating itself for the third time in the same month. The second half, fortunately, unfolded differently. Bath City rallied back with determination, claiming a resounding 5-2 victory. The win was not just a redemption; it was a crucial morale boost for the team before the impending showdown against fierce rivals Yeovil at home.

image.png.0e18712bd30cc5cab3be7d2e03cbb22a.png

The game against Yeovil, marking the culmination of October's demanding fixture list, loomed as the pinnacle of the month's challenges. Bath City, fueled by the recent victory, would need to draw upon every ounce of resilience and skill to close the month on a high note. 

October summary Part 3: The Somerset derby

The Twerton Park faithful, adorned in the black and white of Bath City, gathered early, creating a buzz around the stadium and the surrounding pubs. For Bath City fans, this was more than a game—it was the Somerset derby, an event etched into the fabric of their footballing identity. The anticipation hung thick in the air, and for some, a victory over Yeovil would define the season's success, transcending the rest of the results.

This year, the stakes were higher. Bath City's promising start had elevated the atmosphere to a fever pitch. As the players received their final instructions from Eric Castel, the significance of the game resonated. This match was not just about points. It was about winning over the hearts of the fans, especially the skeptics. Eric urged his players to seize the moment, to play for the passionate supporters who had filled the stands.

The game kicked off with a bang, and the intensity was palpable. In the fourth minute, Yeovil's experienced striker, Frank Nouble, capitalized on an error by Ollie Wright to give the away team an early lead. Bath City, undeterred, responded swiftly. Cody Cook, with a tidy finish from 21 meters, leveled the score in the sixteenth minute, igniting Twerton Park with jubilation.

Passion and raw emotion fueled the contest, making it more about power than finesse. Then, in the 56th minute, all hell broke loose when the referee made a highly controversial decision—a penalty awarded in favor of Bath City for a challenge in the edge of the box. The challenge, though apparent to all, was ruled as inside the box, much to the dismay of Yeovil. Cody Cook capitalized on the gift, securing his second goal and giving Bath City the lead.

Screenshot2023-11-10162508.thumb.png.9f7a06a38be88193947ff5777c897066.png

The atmosphere in Twerton Park reached a crescendo as ecstatic fans celebrated the turnaround. The controversial penalty became a talking point, intensifying the rivalry between the two clubs. After the match, Yeovil's manager didn't mince words, declaring the referee a disgrace in the heat of the moment.

image.png.25ab3460f5cb22cb2e52f9fd4d78ba1e.png

For Eric Castel and his Bath City squad, the victory marked the culmination of a demanding October fixture list. The win not only exceeded expectations but also propelled the team to an impressive second place in the league. Bath City had triumphed in the Somerset derby, etching a new chapter in the storied rivalry and solidifying their standing in the Vanarama South.

image.thumb.png.51a135978918ce433c93eb5ea7260966.png

With November approaching fast and the echoes of the Somerset derby victory still vibrating, Eric Castel, faced a pivotal task that would shape the club's future. Fifteen games into the season, the time had come to negotiate with the players whose contracts were set to expire at the season's end. As the orchestrator of Bath City's footballing destiny, Eric needed to navigate the delicate dance of contract negotiations, making decisions that would lay the foundation for future success.

image.thumb.png.d474bc5b81600d5f8ee83b0b43f9cc42.png

The crossroads of decision-making

As November colds arrived, ushering in a new phase of Bath City's footballing journey, Eric Castel found himself standing at the crossroads of decision-making. The task at hand was no small feat — navigating the intricate realm of player contract renewals.

Armed with the invaluable insights gleaned from each player's performance on the hallowed pitch, Eric embarked on a journey to assess the squad's potential and identify the linchpins for the seasons to come. His discerning eye scrutinized not just the goals scored or saves made but the intangibles — the unspoken chemistry and influence that players wielded within the squad dynamic.

The manager, a tactician on the field, now assumed the role of negotiator and visionary. Conversations with players were going to be more than contract talks; they were going to be dialogues seeking to unearth aspirations, commitments, and visions for the club. In each negotiation, Eric sought to do more than secure a signature on a dotted line; he aimed to cultivate a shared purpose, a commitment to a collective journey toward glory.

Eric's criteria for decision-making were clear — a delicate fusion of on-field performance and off-field influence. Quickly, he identified the first group of players with whom he would initiate contract renewal negotiations. However, he knew the road ahead was full of challenges.

Recognizing the gravity of the task, Eric delved into the intricacies of financial considerations, player ambitions, and the strategic vision he harbored for Bath City. Months of studying the club's financials and payroll details, coupled with numerous dinners alongside Bath City's chairman Nick Blofeld and some directors, equipped him with the acumen required for the negotiations.

Leveraging the insights gained from these preparatory sessions, Eric and his team established a structured framework. Star players could be offered a maximum of 38,500 euros per year, important players capped at 34,000 euros, regular starters at 25,500 euros, squad players at 20,500 euros, and fringe players at 15,750 euros. The total payroll, a critical constraint, could not surpass the predetermined limit of 442,000 euros per year.

Armed with these guidelines, Eric Castel was ready to summon the players to his office for negotiations. Each call held the promise of shaping the future of Bath City. The office, typically a space for tactical discussions and post-match analysis, now transformed into a realm of financial strategy and team building.

image.thumb.png.c2cc189d873fe39b30c85bfc7e545845.png

Tom Smith

The air in Eric Castel's office held a mix of anticipation and determination as he prepared to negotiate the first player contract renewal. Bath City's No. 10, the 25 year old box-to-box maestro, Tom Smith, was the focal point of this crucial conversation.

image.thumb.png.2984ddf5d620c866f3219e71dd8e9a70.png

image.thumb.png.a29a01e6c8bc166f29a15614863acc3b.png

Tom embodied the qualities that every manager dreams of in a player — stellar performance on the field, a high level of influence among teammates, and a cherished spot in the core social group of players. His fantastic personality, coupled with a reputation as a model citizen, made him a beacon of inspiration for the younger talents in the squad. Beyond the statistics and tactics, Tom shared a personal and close bond with Eric, supporting the manager in every conceivable way.

image.thumb.png.e8f33982c6caaa6d3c34eb5c71083167.png

image.png.f6f28df90c8871f2142a2d72bc0f70db.png

As Tom entered Eric's office and took a seat, the manager couldn't help but feel the weight of the impending negotiation. He knew that keeping Tom was crucial for the team's cohesion and success. The conversation began with Eric outlining his vision for the team, emphasizing the indispensable role he saw for Tom in the squad's core.

Tom, appreciative of the sentiment, expressed his happiness at the prospect of staying but laid out his conditions for commitment. With a baby on the way, he needed to secure a more substantial salary to provide for his growing family. He requested a 10,000 euro raise, pushing his annual salary from 24.5K to 34.5K. Eric, recognizing the significance of Tom's presence, engaged in a delicate negotiation.

Aware of the financial constraints and the importance of retaining Tom, Eric skillfully negotiated down the salary increase to 32.5K while agreeing to grant him the status of an important player. The negotiation was a balance between the club's resources and the personal needs of a valued player.

With the terms settled, smiles adorned both faces as Tom verbally agreed to the terms. Eric, true to his word, assured Tom that the club's lawyer would swiftly draft the contract. The handshake marked not just the renewal of a player contract but the preservation of a crucial pillar in Bath City's foundation.

As Tom left Eric's office, the atmosphere carried a sense of accomplishment. The journey of negotiation was a testament to the mutual respect and understanding shared by player and manager. The impending arrival of Tom's baby added an extra layer of significance, emphasizing the human side of football — where contracts are not just numbers but commitments that shape lives.

November Summary: Top Dogs

November came, and for Bath City, it became a chapter of victory. The team, now a well-functioning machine, rolled through the month with style.

Four wins against Weymouth, Aveley, Slough, and a particularly extraordinary one, a 4-0 on the road humiliation of Torquay, a title contender. The Bath City supporters were witnessing a team that had evolved into a force to be reckoned with. A solitary draw against Hempel was the only blip in an otherwise perfect month.

In the FA Trophy second round a rotated squad was enough to secure qualification against lower league opponent Cray Valley.

image.png.db1d0895e5b38975e43074d03a11f4d9.png

As November was ending, Bath City found itself perched at the summit, looking down upon the league. Eric was happy but knew that reaching the top was one thing — staying there required an even greater commitment.

Every team would now be vying to dethrone Bath City, and the battles ahead promised to be fierce.

Yet, Eric dared to dream. The team had not only reached the top but had done so in style having the best attacking and defending record of the league... 
image.thumb.png.2ef5445986a16d1a342a0145b97a86d4.png

Hard Choices

In the wake of the successful contract renewal with Tom Smith, Eric Castel now focused to the next group of players that he wanted to renew. Bath City's trio of standout players—complete right wingback Joe Raynes, left inside forward Alex Fletcher, and pressing forward Scott Wilson—had been instrumental in the team's recent success.

image.thumb.png.34a3c6099c0a0c27ddc493812ba5faf7.png

image.thumb.png.f6b9a54cdb712a4eaa37ce19d9ff21b7.png

image.thumb.png.d73d09a97293af1165e9f42bf6efe255.png

image.thumb.png.393f57d067e5b18ef0e476536bf97c7a.png

image.thumb.png.a4851189fed59b0e8769ead50d98ef67.png

image.thumb.png.0be2c38a2ebac3de68144c06bfd24cfd.png

Their exceptional performances demanded recognition, and with it, an inevitable demand for improved contracts.

As Eric delved into the intricacies of the budget, a harsh reality emerged—there was little room for the financial adjustments required to retain the stellar trio. The significant raise granted to Tom Smith had exhausted the available funds, leaving the manager grappling with hard choices.

The dilemma was clear: to keep the shining stars, someone had to be sacrificed.

The weight of decision-making pressed upon Eric's shoulders. Sacrificing any of the team players meant disrupting the harmonious ensemble that had propelled Bath City to the top. Still, it was the only way. 

image.thumb.png.be116f9c5952d50510279bd9d07702a3.png

Departures & Renewals

Sacrifices were necessary, and though it pained Eric to disrupt the harmonious club atmosphere that had propelled Bath City to the top, the manager's focus extended far beyond the current season.

With a team already walking on a thin line, the prospect of further thinning the already small squad of just nineteen players was risky. Eric, however, remained true in his commitment to building for the future, even if it meant missing out on the immediate opportunity for promotion. The horizon of his vision stretched beyond the confines of the current campaign.

After careful consideration, Eric identified two players whose departure could justify the financial adjustments needed for contract renewals. Chris Lines, the 38-year-old veteran midfielder, and Elliott Frear, the 33-year-old left winger, stood on the periphery of the starting lineup, their performances failing to justify their hefty salaries. 

First to depart was Chris Lines, a seasoned midfielder whose role had shifted to that of a backup player. Despite his veteran status, Lines commanded the highest salary in the team—39.5K per year. When Basingstoke expressed interest, Eric facilitated the move, clearing a significant portion of the payroll.

image.thumb.png.411b5f4f076829096944e54bdc3bd845.png

image.png.e852da5eb164ebed0630c37060d56917.png

Next on the list was Elliott Frear, a fringe player with a salary of 24.5K per year. Eric orchestrated his move to Darvel, providing the winger with a fresh opportunity while further alleviating the financial burden on Bath City.

image.thumb.png.86aad2e99d86ec69533510a46e7610fb.png

image.png.f80e2eb1280c37e9a3ca895b685db0c1.png

With the departure of these two players, Bath City's payroll saw a notable reduction, freeing up 64K. Now armed with the financial flexibility he needed, Eric turned his attention to the pivotal task of contract renewals. Joe Raynes, Alex Fletcher and Scott Wilson were handed their new contracts. Together with Tom Smith who had already renewed the previous month, Eric had succesfully managed to renew his four best players and free up budget for more future renewals.

image.png.2b587b64e195fdc7a16775cf0d66e74f.png

But this came with a cost. The squad, now worrisomely thin with just 17 players, faced the challenge of potential injuries and fatigue. However, Eric harbored hope in the form of promising youth players from the season's upcoming intake. The Head of Youth Development had identified a couple of talents with the potential to make the leap to the first team, offering a glimmer of optimism amid the squad restructuring.

image.png.63c0f68cad3e9babf965770004808d27.png

image.png.fe12a0ec136cdb1e97a13eccc594594e.png

December & January Summary: A storm is coming

December arrived as a bittersweet month for Bath City. On the league front, the team continued its good form, securing victories against Chelmsford, Farnborough, and Dover, along with a hard-fought draw against local rivals Chippenham. The good results helped the team to continue to lead the Vanarama South in the end of the year.

image.png.aeb6a233c2aa206f7238216a7cfd21a3.png

However, the cruel hands of fate intervened in the FA Trophy third round, subjecting Eric Castel and his squad to the agonizing sting of a penalty defeat, once more, this time at the hands of Tonbridge. 

image.png.3dd4cf7b600d46578f3922813e51e5eb.png

January was catastrophic. Bath City, already grappling with a thin squad of 17 players, was dealt a severe blow in the form of an injury crisis. The timing could not have been worse. Cody Cooke, the leading goal scorer with 15 goals to his name, fell victim to a hip injury, sidelining him for a grueling four months. In his stead, the inexperienced 18-year-old youth, Jacob Cook, faced the daunting task of filling the scoring void. 

image.png.107bb169c18e3c694ae7fd128c871ca5.png

The blows kept coming as star goalkeeper Ollie Wright, a loanee vital to the team's defensive solidity, suffered a broken finger, condemning him to a minimum of four weeks on the sidelines. His replacement was the amateur 20-year-old youth Kinsly McKechnie. More injuries continued to plague the squad, turning January a month of misery and Eric Castel's managerial life into a relentless struggle.

image.png.3bc3ae0f2a01a85e12849e39d8833297.png

image.png.eca50a2044b2af96b2a84080ede49faf.png

The consequences were reflected in the results on the pitch. A dismal month marked by four defeats, including setbacks against bitter rivals Yeovil and Weston-super-mare, a solitary draw, and only two wins out of seven games. The momentum that had propelled Bath City to the top now wavered, replaced by an unsettling series of setbacks.

image.png.7f8e73f9f42136039302988003681c58.png

Yet, amid the storm clouds gathering above Twerton Park, a silver lining remained. Despite the awful month, Bath City clung to the first-place position, albeit on goal difference. The chasing teams, too, had missed a lot of points creating a chaotic situation to the top.

image.thumb.png.76b6e4dd21a9fde7cf7560cfb49cef6b.png

January drew to a close casting shadows over Bath City's promising season. Next month would be crucial...

Edited by Eric Castel

February Summary: Fasten your seatbelts 

As February unfolded, Bath City found itself in the midst of a challenging period, grappling with a series of mediocre results that tested the spirit of the squad. 

image.png.7c1886b857c357f6d3d96e49e526a025.png

Within the ranks, whispers of doubt circulated among some players, questioning the decision to part ways with the two veteran players in December. They attributed the team's unstable results to a perceived lack of squad depth.

image.png.e1006cd140237271cb806c4ffcf3f38a.png

Eric Castel, aware of the concerns, sought to maintain a positive atmosphere. He assured the players that help was on the horizon, pointing to promising youth prospects that he believed could provide the much-needed cover for the squad. Crisis was averted, at least for the moment.

While some players harbored doubts, the board displayed unwavering confidence in Eric's managerial prowess. Recognizing the qualities he brought to the team, they made a resounding statement by extending his contract for an additional year. The endorsement from the board served as a vote of confidence in Eric's ability to navigate the challenges and lead Bath City to success.

image.png.1902a55330b6ae6d9bab92219a4f7489.png

Despite the less-than-stellar momentum, the team clung to its position at the top. As February drew to a close, the league standings revealed a fierce competition. Bath City, Yeovil, and Tonbridge were locked in a tight race, each standing at 71 points, with Worthing trailing closely behind at 70. 

image.thumb.png.9e869528e8fc47bd9ce21fcd2fe648f6.png

The stage was set for a pivotal March, where the battle for the title would intensify..

March Summary: Title Race & Youth Intake

March unfolded as a month of mixed fortunes for Bath City and Eric Castel, marked by positive results but a slide from the coveted top spot in the league standings. Despite securing four wins, one draw, and one defeat in six games, the intense competition among title contenders meant that Bath City found itself now sitting in 3rd place. While the quest for the title seemed more challenging, the consolation of securing a spot in the playoffs provided a glimmer of hope.

image.png.7a94f21c6ff26eea70671268e8523d49.png

image.thumb.png.cd29689a67f585173fb1f7d27f29fed9.png

With four more games to go and a mere three points behind the league leaders, optimism lingered within the Bath City camp. The dream of clinching the title remained alive, awaiting a strong finish in the remaining fixtures. The battle was far from over, and every point gained or lost held the potential to shape the destiny of the season.

image.png.e60fecea03d857214606a6f3f561a14b.png

Amid the competitive struggles, a significant development brought a sense of renewal and promise. The much-needed influx of youth intake players finally graced Twerton Park, injecting fresh talent and vitality into the squad. Eric Castel wasted no time in securing the future by offering youth contracts to 12 promising players. Among them, top talents were earmarked for potential breakthroughs into the first squad, while others would find valuable playing time with the U18 team, honing their skills for the challenges that lay ahead.

image.png.3b724ad6db73c760edab0a5df7c0793a.png

image.png.a3985c4a8c9f1e4c2f494a4f6ca262d6.png

image.png.df9c29fef078d82e2311a396290f8017.png

15-year-old young striker Callum Richards was considered to be the top talent of this intake.

image.thumb.png.f7b1919b97e94183553260825d213dc5.png

As April loomed on the horizon the four teams gladiators remained locked in the race for the title...

April Summary: The moment of truth

April dawned with Bath City standing at the crossroads of destiny, needing four consecutive victories to try and win the title. However, the initial optimism was quickly overshadowed by a disappointing 1-0 defeat in the first fixture of April against a strong Taunton side on the road, dealing a substantial blow to their championship aspirations. Despite the commendable efforts for recovery (that included an impressive 5-1 triumph over the challenging Tonbridge)  Bath City and Eric Castel would settle for a 3rd place finish in the league standings.

image.png.e5de93b0dfc85c78713e3314624aa610.png

Adding to the sting of disappointment, the title slipped into the grasp of fierce rivals Yeovil, leaving Bath City supporters nursing their wounds.

image.thumb.png.a92ccec303bb0c7e3a5d580b9c389d67.png

Yet, the season offered a final chance at redemption through the playoffs. Bath City's playoff journey began with a semi-final clash against Tonbridge, the very team they had recently dismantled with a resounding 5-1 victory.  Bath City was drawn as the home team for the crucial match, setting the stage for a high-stakes encounter at the hallowed grounds of Twerton Park.

image.png.45d1a9fa4d908d2bcbf364d20bc569fd.png

The big day arrived. The supporters filled Twerton Park with hope, and Eric Castel stood on the touchline, ready to lead his team through the intensity of the playoffs, where every moment held the promise of redemption or the bitter taste of disappointment. Fueled by the desire for redemption, Bath City players dominated the game and claimed the important victory.

image.png.97744ec6aa24fce947d2fac6c44b4e64.png

After beating Tonbridge there was one final obstacle for Eric and his Bath City. Their amazing journey led them to a decisive encounter, a final showdown against Worthing that would determine their fate and the prospect of an unexpected promotion. The Vanarama South Playoff Final, a contest that held the key to unlocking the doors to higher tiers of English football.

image.png.e5c32c069754d977d1180933c01ba955.png

As the higher-seeded team, Worthing had the advantage of hosting the playoff final at the Sussex Transport Community Stadium. The stage was set, and the air crackled with tension as the two teams prepared to battle for the ultimate prize...

Fantastic season from the initial mid table prediction. Always tough when miss out on the auto promotion spot by a tiny margin.

Love a little asymmetric tactic also :applause: is always a joy of mine to see and use them as something a little different.

Good luck in the final, these games are often pot luck and what team has the legs left after what seems about 100 games at this level!

Josh Richie

As the sun dipped casting shadows across the training ground, 16-year-old poacher Josh Richie diligently went about his routine, helping with the balls after the conclusion of the day's training, as academy players were accustomed to doing. 

"Josh," Eric called out, his voice carrying a sense of purpose. "When you finish, I want to see you in my office."

Josh complied, making his way to Eric's office once the training ground duties were completed. As he entered, Eric motioned for him to sit.

"I just wanted to tell you that you are on the team for the final," Eric revealed, his words hanging in the air. "The team will leave on Saturday, and you need to inform your parents to have you here at 16:00."

Shock registered on Josh's face. The prospect of breaking into the first team, especially for the final, was beyond his wildest expectations. Eric, sensing the young player's nervousness, offered reassuring words.

"Don't worry, lad. You are going to be fine. You are ready."

The date of the grand showdown was set for Sunday, May 5th at 15:00. The 117 miles separating Bath and Worthing meant a lengthy journey of around three and a half hours by bus. Ordinarily, the team would depart from Bath on the morning of the game, but Eric, recognizing the gravity of the occasion, opted for a different approach.

This was no ordinary fixture. It was the game of their lives. Eric decided to take the team to Worthing the day before, securing a hotel for the squad to ensure they were well-rested and prepared for the challenge ahead. Chairman Nick Blofeld, understanding the significance of the moment, granted Eric's request for additional hotel expenses. It was a gesture acknowledging the rarity of such an opportunity for Bath City—a chance at promotion that might not come around again soon.

As Eric Castel was making his plans for the impending final, Josh Richie found himself at the heart of this story, a young poacher thrust into the spotlight for a moment that could shape the destiny of Bath City. The countdown to a defining clash had begun...

image.thumb.png.a69d3d3756cde0e502ab24efab6b8c27.png

Edited by Eric Castel

Season Finale

The loud voices of more than 3,000 Worthing fans filled the air, creating an electric atmosphere inside the dressing room at Sussex Transport Community Stadium. Bath City, with around 250 dedicated supporters behind the south goal, prepared to face a pivotal moment in their footballing journey. Josh Richie could feel the tension, his sweating hands betraying the anxiety as Eric Castel delivered the final words of encouragement to the starting eleven. Grateful that he wasn't among them, Josh took his seat on Bath City's bench, eyes fixed on the unfolding drama as the referee's whistle heralded the start of the match.

The rain poured relentlessly, a fitting backdrop to the intensity of the playoff final. Worthing, buoyed by the energy of their supporters, seized control from the outset. On the 11th minute, Joan Luque, the dynamic Spaniard gracing Worthing's ranks, unleashed a sublime shot into the bottom corner, giving them an early lead. Despite their dominance, Ollie Wright, Bath City's goalkeeper, had a good game, preventing further damage until halftime.

The second half brought a change in fortune for Bath City. Just three minutes in, on the 48th minute, Alex Fletcher leveled the score with his 23rd league goal of the season. Undeterred, Worthing continued their assault, seeking the elusive winning goal. In a tense moment, as Worthing earned yet another corner, Bath City's pressing forward turned defender, Wilson, committed an ill-timed challenge, conceding a penalty at the 85th minute. On the bench, Josh witnessed Eric, the manager, bracing for the worst, but star goalkeeper Ollie Wright had other plans. He saved the penalty, sending the game into overtime.

image.png.e6fe737bbde9c67624e92e25cf5004cc.png

With Wilson fatigued and disheartened, he asked to be substituted. Then came the magical words from Eric: "You're in, kid. I have faith in you. Go and make me proud." As Josh stepped onto the field, reality blurred with surrealism. He showcased some deft touches but mainly focused on defensive duties as Worthing persisted in their attacking endeavors.

And then, against the run of play, Bath City launched a counterattack. The ball found its way to Danny Greenslade, the left wingback, who discovered space. Sensing an opening, Josh positioned himself strategically, drawing defenders away. His movement confused the opposition, creating room for Danny, who surged forward and netted a decisive goal. It was his first and only goal of the season.

image.thumb.png.9c9ab0a56f6b1586ebd6cb4520d130fb.png

Bath City had snatched victory from their better opponents. The team defended resolutely, and when the referee signaled the end, the dreamlike quality of the moment enveloped them. Eric, the players, and Josh converged in a jubilant celebration. Promotion had been secured. They had defied the odds, and 16-year-old Josh Richie had played a central role in their unexpected success.

image.png.5a90a87bfdd789b43ac7c44bbac24f3d.png

image.png.61602654cafc02bab0a2c53c7b9c8f3d.png

image.png.91ea0801eb921f722f4234f96d70549c.png

Just caught up and love to see a fellow enthusiast for lower league struggles! Also congratulations on taking the plunge. I too have been an insanely long term reader on these forums and I'm currently writing the back story to what will be my first ever post on here, so thank you for further inspiration to get involved in sharing stories! Good luck with the save.

Season 2 Preparation | Part 1: Squad Building

As Eric Castel embarked on the challenging task of preparing Bath City for life in the Vanarama National League, he stood by a steadfast principle: loyalty and strategic planning. Despite the clamor for high-profile signings and the anticipation of significant squad upgrades, Eric opted for a path less traveled.

His decision was clear – retain the core of regular starters who had fought alongside him for promotion. The players who had shown resilience and determination, earning Bath City a place in the higher division of English football. These warriors, battle-tested and loyal, would form the backbone of the squad.

image.png.51dd416a5a3f95800114d3f8e2ce17fd.png

In the midst of increased budgets and expectations, Eric stayed true to his philosophy. Rather than seeking external reinforcements, he turned his gaze inward. Bath City's youth academy had been quietly nurturing talent, and now was the time to let it flourish. Eric resolved to promote talented youth players to the first team, offering them opportunities to contribute as backups and rotation options. This strategic move wasn't just about filling squad spots. It was an investment in the future. Eric believed in the potential of the young talents within the club, seeing them as more than just substitutes. They were the next generation, poised to learn, grow, and eventually take on more significant roles in the squad.

The decision was met with a mix of skepticism and curiosity from fans and pundits alike. Many expected flashy signings to herald Bath City's arrival in the Vanarama National League, but Eric Castel had different plans. He was a manager who valued loyalty, continuity, and a gradual build-up.

image.png.7ba382cbf2ce33c92357306d3562fe0f.png

image.png.b082fa2b2edeea5e6890e68d69e6e935.png

In his mind, only two positions needed reinforcement – those of the departing loanee players, first-choice goalkeeper Ollie Wright and important deep-lying playmaker Ewan Clark. Eric tried to expand their loans for another season and keep them at Twerton Park, but their clubs were not willing to make a new deal.

image.thumb.png.4dec72b280985af704036c4a9039043d.png

image.thumb.png.0b526083277161bab6f10824ddcd7ca1.png

In their stead, 23-year-old Scottish goalkeeper Brian Kinnear and seasoned 32-year-old midfielder Jordon Mutch were brought in. These moves allowed Eric to maintain wage balance while addressing the specific gaps in the squad.

image.thumb.png.f5917a556a16752d9fe69af7c6e72250.png

image.thumb.png.7c4e717995258995cf8677b3016b0fce.png

The payroll spending remained unchanged from the last year, a deliberate decision by Eric to strike a balance and avoid unnecessary disruptions. While others clamored for high-profile signings, Eric's focus was on team dynamics and ensuring that every player felt a sense of responsibility and ownership.

image.thumb.png.4817fb7599f55eb03c8490304ac0bf90.png

image.png.f6146a6be1f33db51c2b198947ad84c1.png

image.thumb.png.ddbece728b300d8951fb190b875ff504.png

image.png.26845bf231d0e1e58b3bc6516ed93e2f.png

The challenge ahead, avoiding relegation from the Vanarama National League, was not an easy one. Critics doubted the squad's ability to compete at this level, but Eric remained undeterred and hoped to defy the odds once again. The loyalty shown to his players was a gamble, but one that Eric believed could reap dividends on the pitch.

Season 2 Preparation | Part 2: Preseason Friendlies

The preseason had gone really well for Eric and his team. The players, a blend of seasoned campaigners and emerging talents, underwent drills and tactical exercises, fine-tuning their roles in the upcoming campaign.

image.png.d4b3310247f6150983a2d02a46f09504.png

The only negative event was an untimely injury to Cody Cooke, the experienced attacker integral to Castel's  plans.

image.png.4f1e82f574df4f3d90d3986fbf282228.png

This setback, however, paved the way for the emergence of Callum Richards, a young striker who would now shoulder the responsibility in Cooke's absence during the first games of the season. Eric, known for his pragmatic approach, saw this as an opportunity for the young talent to prove his skill on the field.

image.thumb.png.635355b2cb30c85bc3e3e85cda575d27.png

In the lead-up to the season, Eric dedicated substantial effort to working with the young players, instilling in them the tactical details of Bath City's style of play. Moreover, he implemented mentorship groups, aligning experienced players with their youthful counterparts.

image.thumb.png.4e26513cd0c0cb53d13d46e0927a7874.png

image.thumb.png.89eeaf041e7bd027ae8786d6f91655bb.png

With the opening day arriving, Eric's belief in team cohesion, combined with strategic promotions from the youth ranks, would be tested in the crucible of higher-level competition. Only time would reveal if this unconventional approach would pay off or if Bath City would need to adapt to the unforgiving reality of the Vanarama National League.

image.png.d9c46264a029de16a0cafa8f1cd00974.png

Edited by Eric Castel

Season 2: Opening Day

In a heart-stopping season opener at Twerton Park, Bath City faced Solihull Moors. The atmosphere was charged with optimism as Bath City took to the field, demonstrating their prowess with a 2-1 lead that seemed to secure a victorious start to the campaign. However, fate dealt a cruel hand in the dying minutes of the game. At the 86th minute, the first-choice goalkeeper, Brian Kinnear, leaped to thwart an opponent's strike, only to suffer a devastating blow—torn wrist ligaments. The severity of the injury was immediately apparent to the team's medical staff, prompting an urgent call for a substitution.

image.png.664102124e6b36a485cb2493708fec00.png

Enter Leighton Viney, a 16-year-old youth player who had never tasted senior-level action. With Kinnear's departure, Viney found himself thrust into the spotlight, facing the daunting task of defending Bath City's goalposts for the remainder of the opening day. The pressure was incredibly high for the young goalkeeper.

image.thumb.png.39c3b5f65e04b09879adf55d81fb86de.png

As the minutes ticked away, the unthinkable unfolded. Solihull Moors, seizing a last-gasp opportunity, managed to level the score at the 95th minute, a mere five minutes into injury time.

image.thumb.png.3373bb83e558954b5703c20e76829190.png

The 2-2 draw, instead of the anticipated triumph, left Bath City in a state of frustration.

image.png.e5752c41702a05646c655693512c2d5e.png

The promising start had turned into an unexpected challenge, with a crucial position left vulnerable and a young player thrust into the unforgiving arena of senior football. The spirit of Bath City would now face a test for the rest of August.

image.thumb.png.e97db0deab68bccc9fd0efc0c4e410c4.png

Amidst the disappointment, there emerged a silver lining in the form of Callum Richards. Stepping into the void left by the injured Cody Cooke, Richards seized the opportunity and wrote his name in lower league football history. With a debut goal against Solihull Moors, the young striker not only became Bath City's youngest-ever scorer but also left his mark on the Vanarama National League records.

image.png.663cef060c17a8c14f3ff12c6425a173.png

image.png.99170ae5c1746da09a5aca8e70a4f8db.png

image.png.43029e299df364675fa8621719aa253a.png

Season 2 : August Summary

August proved to be a testing month for Bath City, marked by a mixed bag of results that left both frustration and encouragement in its wake.

image.png.868788e0fc021736f7bd6ba4e9ed219d.png

The squad encountered challenges, notably in the form of penalties conceded in four consecutive games. Eric Castel, feeling the strain of defensive lapses, worked to address the team's vulnerabilities. The frustration aside, Eric remained committed to his philosophy of nurturing young talent. Throughout the month, he continued to provide valuable playing time to the youth players, recognizing the importance of their development and the fresh perspective they brought to the team.

image.png.76c3d8cb30368bde766b0ea1167f4ee8.png

image.png.81696637337f678d1a74adae9a74437e.png

The end of August saw Bath City perched at the 18th position, four points clear from the relegation zone.

image.thumb.png.412ca063068bd5aff4fac801c94d616f.png

September Summary: Recovery and promise

September unfolded as a tale of recovery for Bath City, overcoming a rocky start to find their rhythm as the month was progressing. A home defeat against struggling Scunthorpe served as a catalyst for change, triggering a shift in fortunes. Bath City rallied, securing three wins and a draw, with the pinnacle being a sensational 5-1 triumph over league leaders, Haterpool.

image.png.bdd585f6e04aad18948027e61bfc7b67.png

image.png.8d8e1b737a0bb6e76d6f19862ae63910.png

Eric Castel's commitment to nurturing young talent remained a focal point of the team's strategy, and amidst the emerging stars, one player, in particular, stole the spotlight. Callum Richards, at a tender age of 16, not only broke records but continued to dazzle with stellar performances, contributing two goals and three assists in the initial 11 games. The youngster's brilliance didn't go unnoticed, attracting attention from Carlisle, who expressed interest in securing his services for their U-18 team.

Eric Castel, convinced Callum that his brightest future lay with Bath City, where he could continue to thrive with regular first-team football. However, the manager acknowledged the difficult challenge of retaining such a promising talent if his standout performances persisted.

image.png.b51f081a07e4b3dad8a8eab15a50c92b.png

As September drew to a close, Bath City found themselves ascending in the league standings in the 8th position and holding a comfortable eight-point buffer from the relegation zone. The team stood just one position shy of the playoff spots.

image.thumb.png.9aaa66990d35a597d88263bb9368b227.png

Edited by Eric Castel

October Summary: Another recovery

October commenced with a stutter, marked by a goalless draw against Gateshead and a resounding 4-1 defeat at the hands of Eastleigh, threatening to derail the positive momentum gained in September. However, once again, Bath City rallied.

image.png.31b89ab2b42d6696c71489243c37a7f7.png

The team's response was emphatic, notching up victories against Alfreton and Oldham, coupled with a commendable draw against Bromley in between. This restorative run of form culminated in a well-balanced record for October—two wins, two draws, and a single defeat. The eight points accrued during the month propelled Bath City to climb one more position in the league standings, in 7th-place and the playoffs spots.

image.thumb.png.2945a86879ec228b59a79fe9abfff70c.png

The FA Cup added an extra layer of excitement to Bath City and Eric Castel as a convincing 2-0 win over Hastings sealed their passage to the FA Cup first round, where they would face a daunting challenge against League One giants Bristol City at the iconic Ashton Gate. The clash promised not only a footballing spectacle but also the valuable income from the splitting of the gate receipts.

image.png.8dd9a6a1d6abd542ea37f7e722b70b62.png

November Summary: Financial Boost

November proved to be a month of highs and lows for Bath City. Their FA Cup journey took them to the imposing Ashton Gate, where they faced the League One outfit Bristol City. In front of a crowd of 9300 spectators, Bath City attempted to put up a fight against their higher-tier opponents. However, the gulf in class was evident, and Bristol City emerged victorious with a 3-1 scoreline.

image.png.1413fb9ae7e57dc14ce28a806fc271aa.png

The team navigated through the remainder of November with a mixture of results. Two wins, a draw, and two defeats in five games and a total eight points.

image.png.723462ab1797d88d5731ee1f3486b040.png

As the month drew to a close, Bath City found themselves in the 8th position, a single spot away from playoff positions.

image.thumb.png.5ae5a9de6c7b54acda21c0bdea5aa43f.png

The sizable crowd at Ashton Gate during the Cup clash against Bristol City, despite ending in defeat, injected a much-needed financial boost into the club's coffers.

image.png.2b499c255f0d92e570b3fcc8ff08eb67.png

With the newfound resources, Eric Castel could now shift his focus to securing the future of the core team through contract renewals in the upcoming month. 

December Summary: Securing the future

In December, the team navigated through the challenges of league fixtures, securing two wins, two draws, and facing a solitary defeat.

In the midst of the league campaign, a heavily rotated squad encountered Southend in the FA Trophy 3rd round. The outcome saw Bath City succumb to Southend, marking the end of their journey in a competition that Eric Castel didn't rank high in his priorities.

image.png.458257f22a0a1e19774e04ff2a85f62a.png

Despite the mixed bag of results, Bath City held firm in their quest for playoff contention, concluding the month by ascending one spot to the 7th position in the league standings.

image.thumb.png.78eb7a44c4a1b763ad3d07cb81b1d6eb.png

December, however, bore significant importance off the pitch. Eric Castel, with a keen eye on the future, initiated the crucial task of securing contract renewals for the core team players. Among those committing to Bath City's cause were key figures like 29-year-old attacking full-back Joe Raynes, 26-year-old midfielder Tom Smith, versatile 25-year-old inside forward Alex Fletcher, and the resolute 28-year-old central defender and team captain, Jack Batten. The signings symbolized a commitment to continuity and stability, laying the foundation for the team's journey ahead.

image.png.93b9cef67e2c8741bf2510eff7ecb284.png

image.png.d5bd638e81487b0b9991e9885f0ce8d9.png

image.png.d864e8407bd84df923e34b1f1b3c9931.png

image.png.32d56301589fc0776f487990a47937e6.png

January Summary: New kids on the block

In  January Bath City found themselves achieving balanced results on the field, securing one victory, drawing three, and experiencing one defeat.

image.png.e6b75356795283872fdf18dee15bb16a.png

The team's resilience was evident, but so was the challenge of consistently clinching the coveted playoff positions. Bath City ended the month in 8th place, positioned just outside the playoff zone. For Eric Castel, the situation presented a welcome sense of stability. The team seemed comfortably distanced from the relegation battle, and the prospect of playoffs lingered as a genuine possibility. Eric, however, remained pragmatic. He was aware that Bath City was not ready for a potential promotion to League Two. This fact of course did not mean that if he had the chance he would not take it.

image.thumb.png.8e0cd795f53de5521d33031aea583085.png

With this newfound calmness, Eric seized the opportunity to engage in discussions with Adam Stockwell, the Head of Youth Development. Together, they scrutinized the latest youth intake, and Eric's initial impressions were optimistic. He sensed the emergence of promising talents that could potentially bolster Bath City's ranks in the near future. The groundwork for sustained success, it seemed, was being laid both on the pitch and in the promising talent pool of the youth.

image.png.af59d3cf1500883cfb492c8cc0ba54c2.png

image.png.f9e078f7f90a49c35977b5227da79b86.png

February Summary: We are family

February arrived and Eric's gamble to not bring in many new players despite promotion was paying off. His unwavering loyalty to the existing players was not just a gesture but a strategic move, banking on the chemistry and camaraderie within the team. Bath City became more than just a football club. It transformed into a close-knit family.

image.thumb.png.a40c0b6df4312ffa29aad9354fce8ff7.png

image.thumb.png.f1fe29315582630b41399ab99f164656.png

image.thumb.png.8e51e07bc0c8f72f5a805b9523b80a4a.png

The players, divided into two social groups – the seasoned veterans and the promising youth blending together – fostered harmonious relationships both on and off the field.

image.thumb.png.4300907d9ca2feaa9bcb67d82492b625.png

This sense of unity bore fruit during February, as Bath City enjoyed an almost flawless run with four wins and one draw in five games.

image.png.1a377452da3fc74b1e06eae0d13dc51a.png

The team's exceptional performance elevated them to the 5th position by the end of the month. 

image.thumb.png.cbc0bf349bcd1de87c7a263342d4461b.png

Playoff football a realistic and tangible prospect despite Bath City having the second smallest payroll of the league .
image.png.d4f87cd5ed30a1d320d66d30b08c383e.pngimage.png.a55768d0010a4d9f799b47f344e51189.png

March April Summary: One last push

As March and April unfolded, the battles on multiple fronts intensified in the league. Under the guidance of Eric Castel, Bath City navigated through highs and lows, ultimately securing a 6th-place finish and the chance for promotion through playoffs.

image.png.f0b54cca0ec8074d4010de6b47a2622f.png

image.thumb.png.60dd07f7007dfa40fb5026c8b57f20ee.png

Their first hurdle was Aldershot Town, a team that, just a few days ago, had handed Bath City a 3-0 defeat at Twerton Park. The question loomed: could Bath City exact revenge when it mattered the most, or would they face another crushing defeat?

image.png.adba48e667d7129aec8dc3ff749f14b6.png

During this pivotal period, Eric Castel reached a significant milestone—100 games as a head coach. To mark the occasion he treated the team and their families to a celebratory dinner. As he observed the joyous faces of his players, laughing and joking during the gathering, Eric couldn't help but feel a deep sense of unity.

image.png.dcf423fa77535b47cb0c016ff29ac397.png

He knew there was no other group he would prefer to lead into the crucial battles that lay ahead.

Edited by Eric Castel

Playoff First Round vs Aldershot: The Game of the Century

The stage was set for an intense battle as Bath City prepared to face Aldershot at the Recreation Ground. The memories of a recent 3-0 defeat at Twerton Park were fresh, and the absence of key players Luke Russe and Scott Wilson only heightened the challenge. Nevertheless, young attacker Josh Ritchie, instrumental in the previous year's playoff final, found himself back in the squad.

The Recreation Ground was buzzing with the energy of 6,000 fans, creating an electric atmosphere. Eric Castel, seeking to ease the pressure, reminded his players that they had already achieved success for the season and had nothing to lose. The match kicked off, and both teams fought for dominance, resulting in a balanced game with chances for each side.

Aldershot took the lead in the 39th minute with a close-range effort from Cameron Cresswell, but Bath City swiftly responded. Jordan Dyer, usually a central defender but deployed as a defensive midfielder in the absence of Russe, leveled the score with a stunning low drive just before halftime.

The second half, however, unfolded as a nightmare for Bath City. In a span of three minutes, Aldershot's Joe Haigh netted two goals, seemingly securing a substantial advantage. Bath City's hope flickered, but the players had other plans. In a whirlwind two minutes, Cody Cooke and Kieran Parselle scored, bringing the score to a heart-stopping 3-3.

The momentum shifted in Bath City's favor, and as Aldershot faced disappointment, Eric Castel urged his team forward. Bath City pressed, but in the 96th minute, against the run of the play, Aldershot's Jevon Mills with a header from a corner scored what appeared to be the winning goal. Bath City's dreams were shattered.

image.thumb.png.4c1347919e90b04d1bca1f6e1abf8135.png

But then a small miracle happened. With seconds remaining, and the home fans already celebrating the certain win, Josh Ritchie who had come in to replace Alex Fletcher, found the net in the 97th minute, sending the game into overtime.

image.thumb.png.d3e5b3023b13dad07961ed3282fc7af2.png

Overtime unfolded cautiously, with both teams drained physically and mentally. The drama reached its climax with penalties. The first three kicks saw both teams score, but Bath City's Scottish goalkeeper, Brian Kinnear, etched his name in history with two crucial saves in the last two penalties.

image.thumb.png.3c066988759f882c893d364445e2cd02.png

image.png.1a83acf93d6504761a9a00b22dec08bb.png

This epic encounter, dubbed "the game of the century" by Bath City fans, propelled them to the next challenge against Bromley. The emotional rollercoaster had drained Eric and his team but could they make one last miracle and book their tickets for the Webley Final?

Season 2 Finale 

The playoff semifinal paired Bath City against Bromley, a very hard task given Bromley's home advantage at Hayes Lane. Bath City, still riding the emotional high from the intense penalty victory against Aldershot, faced additional challenges as Scott Wilson received a two-match further suspension, leaving young Josh Ritchie once again in the spotlight.

image.png.5a6e4c909252b811e8e2cbef79393d6d.png

Being the underdog, Eric Castel strategized for a more cautious approach, aiming to withstand Bromley's dominance and capitalize on counterattacks. The game unfolded with Bromley controlling possession and securing a 26th-minute lead courtesy of Joel Cotterill's skidding drive. Bath City's fortunes took a darker turn when Callum Richards received a red card in the 57th minute for a bad tackle to Charlie Weston.

image.thumb.png.08c936b69f8ded8fc8795235cdf2df0b.png

However, despite being down to ten men, the team found hope once more as  Josh Ritchie equalized with a close-range finish at the 74th minute, just a few seconds after entering the field as a substitute.

Screenshot2023-11-16093951.thumb.png.32d55238bd3da8e7132abb34736f5f31.png

Bath City defended valiantly, pushing for overtime, but their dreams were shattered when Olufela Olomola secured a late winner with an impressive header in the 85th minute.

Screenshot2023-11-16094144.thumb.png.5e235e3a6fbfce0adb601e223425e22b.png

Despite the defeat, Eric Castel praised his players for their remarkable effort, emphasizing their pride in an exceptional season. Already looking ahead, Castel remained optimistic about Bath City's potential for future successes.

image.png.faa3dcc4263ba27a7bf50c0d9e07951b.png

Edited by Eric Castel