Does TV Rights deal update for saves imported from FM23?

Apologies if this was answered elsewhere, but has anyone imported their save into Beta from FM23 and managed to get TV Rights deal updated? 

I have simulated whole season and it was not changed in value (league reputation & ranking was significantly improved since original start of career?)

tv money only really works if your league is well below 100 rep and if tv money is off or blank. then once you get to 100 tv money kicks in. and if you get to like top 5 then its like 80-100 million. it is what you see when people do Gibraltar saves.

but say you pick hungary who has tv money listed and isnt 100 but now in the low 40s like Gibraltar your tv money will never grow as high as them.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's broken. A league suddenly growing in stature doesn't always mean it's going to get a big TV deal. Fans around the world already support clubs in traditionally big leagues and aren't like to switch - that tradition they have matters. Just look at Saudi Arabia - a relatively high-rep league in FM now, with tons of the world's top players there, and nobody gives a damn about watching it. There was a roughly 25-year window from around the early-90s to the late-10s where football went from barely been televised, to everyone around the world who's likely to ever be interested in the sport picking a favourite team/league and following it. Now it's completely globalised, those countries (e.g. Scotland) which failed to take advantage of this are pretty likely to be permanently shut-out of the big bucks.

I confirm that my TV income has remained the same over 4 seasons, comprising both FM23 and FM24. As in the image below, I moved my FM23 save into FM24 in January 2032. La Liga TV revenue seems to be the same over 2031 to 2034.  Does this help?

image.thumb.png.91e09bc7d39029a800e56cb5e8f43ca1.png

Edited by phd_angel

On 01/11/2023 at 07:43, JimmysTheBestCop said:

tv money only really works if your league is well below 100 rep and if tv money is off or blank. then once you get to 100 tv money kicks in. and if you get to like top 5 then its like 80-100 million. it is what you see when people do Gibraltar saves.

but say you pick hungary who has tv money listed and isnt 100 but now in the low 40s like Gibraltar your tv money will never grow as high as them.

That's because it's based on increase in reputation and not at all on the total reputation. You would think that when SI announces "NEW AND DYNAMIC INCOME STREAMS" that this system would change, so leagues that start above this 100 reputation mark with realistic values would also be able to generate income from TV deals over time. Like you would think Dynamic Youth Rating would mean something and then it doesn't. 

Seems like the only thing that's actually new here is the design of the mail you get. 

Edited by trviggo

This gets brought up a lot and it would be nice to grow a nation to have the same TV deals that we see in England but it depends how realistic you want a game to be.

In real life I will watch every Premiership game that's on TV and I pay for Sky and BT to be able to do so but I only occasionally watch games from other nations and those are usually between the big clubs if they are on a channel I don't need to pay extra for. If say Scotland became the biggest league in the world with some of the best players, I still wouldn't watch it because it doesn't interest me, I have no affiliation with any clubs and don't care who wins the league which is the same for pretty much most other countries football and I imagine a lot of fans are the same, so in this scenario there wouldn't be a massive increase in TV deals because no matter how big the league gets, fans outside that nation wouldn't suddenly be interested and start paying more money to watch their games a long with paying to watch games in their own nation they are more interested in.

If the Saudi clubs keep signing the best players in the world and you had the chance to pay £20+ a month to be able to watch their games would you do it? I certainly wouldn't even if they had all the top players so their TV deals wouldn't go up that much if people aren't willing to pay to watch their games on TV.

Of course saying that, FM is a game and you could argue that you don't want that kind of realism in a game and we just want to be able to build Gibraltar into the worlds biggest league (which my save is trying to do) and have a billion pound TV deal which would be nice, if not realistic.

2 minutes ago, Weed07 said:

This gets brought up a lot and it would be nice to grow a nation to have the same TV deals that we see in England but it depends how realistic you want a game to be.

In real life I will watch every Premiership game that's on TV and I pay for Sky and BT to be able to do so but I only occasionally watch games from other nations and those are usually between the big clubs if they are on a channel I don't need to pay extra for. If say Scotland became the biggest league in the world with some of the best players, I still wouldn't watch it because it doesn't interest me, I have no affiliation with any clubs and don't care who wins the league which is the same for pretty much most other countries football and I imagine a lot of fans are the same, so in this scenario there wouldn't be a massive increase in TV deals because no matter how big the league gets, fans outside that nation wouldn't suddenly be interested and start paying more money to watch their games a long with paying to watch games in their own nation they are more interested in.

If the Saudi clubs keep signing the best players in the world and you had the chance to pay £20+ a month to be able to watch their games would you do it? I certainly wouldn't even if they had all the top players so their TV deals wouldn't go up that much if people aren't willing to pay to watch their games on TV.

Of course saying that, FM is a game and you could argue that you don't want that kind of realism in a game and we just want to be able to build Gibraltar into the worlds biggest league (which my save is trying to do) and have a billion pound TV deal which would be nice, if not realistic.

I disagree. If Scotland were to become the biggest league in the world, a lot of people would either suddenly be interested, or have their interest increase over the course of only a couple of years. It's the same with clubs. Before Abramovich, no non-UK person thought of becoming a fan of Chelsea. Or what about Manchester City? Now they have loads of fans all over the world. It grew in just a couple of years. (Or what about Barcelona in the era between Cruijff and Pep? I'm sure they saw their fanbase dwindle.)

If Saudi Arabia keeps this up, they might become one of the top 5 leagues in the world and a lot of people will tune in.

3 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

I disagree. If Scotland were to become the biggest league in the world, a lot of people would either suddenly be interested, or have their interest increase over the course of only a couple of years. It's the same with clubs. Before Abramovich, no non-UK person thought of becoming a fan of Chelsea. Or what about Manchester City? Now they have loads of fans all over the world. It grew in just a couple of years. (Or what about Barcelona in the era between Cruijff and Pep? I'm sure they saw their fanbase dwindle.)

If Saudi Arabia keeps this up, they might become one of the top 5 leagues in the world and a lot of people will tune in.

Doesn't like over half of the EPL's TV revenue come from the domestic market though? Sure, interest in the league would definitely go up and the international rights would be worth a lot more than they currently are. But domestic rights are more important, people are more likely to watch a league (and are willing to pay more to do so) if it's their own country's rather than another country. With the size of Scotland their domestic TV rights deal is never going to be able to match up to England, Germany, France etc. even if their international rights do so they'd still be (potentially far) behind.

16 minutes ago, Weed07 said:

Don't think I've ever seen someone argue for parity with England. There's a lot of room between 3 million and 300 million. 

20 minutes ago, Weed07 said:

Due to the way TV income works in FM you can already get substantial income in Gibraltar. Is it realistic that Gibraltar can get TV deals of 100m but Scotland can't? 

23 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Doesn't like over half of the EPL's TV revenue come from the domestic market though? Sure, interest in the league would definitely go up and the international rights would be worth a lot more than they currently are. But domestic rights are more important, people are more likely to watch a league (and are willing to pay more to do so) if it's their own country's rather than another country. With the size of Scotland their domestic TV rights deal is never going to be able to match up to England, Germany, France etc. even if their international rights do so they'd still be (potentially far) behind.

Fair point, but maybe there could be new ways of selling tv rights, focused on new media? Just spitballing my thoughts.

On the other hand... China and India have huge potential markets, but don't think they do well in that regard? Guess a lot has to do with marketing. Again - not sure about his.

1 minute ago, jens_dewit said:

Fair point, but maybe there could be new ways of selling tv rights, focused on new media? Just spitballing my thoughts.

On the other hand... China and India have huge potential markets, but don't think they do well in that regard? Guess a lot has to do with marketing. Again - not sure about his.

Yeah, marketing is an issue. With many football fans in China/India preferring to watch foreign games over the local league. That would no doubt change if the league actually improved though. I believe viewing figures in India have improved actually in recent years with the quality of football going up there. Finances would also be an issue, just having a lot of people doesn't mean there's a lot of disposable income. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some laws in China regarding TV rights as well, something like x number of games have to be on free to air TV, affecting TV right prices.

That said, India definitely has the potential to match top leagues. The IPL (cricket) rights cost £5.13b over 5 years, compared to the EPL making £5.1b over 3 years. On a per year basis the EPL is still some way ahead, but still if football were as popular as cricket in India and their league was good, they could certainly be one of the wealthiest leagues in the world!

Simulated 10 seasons in Norway now, taking it from 135 to 159 reputation. These "new and dynamic income streams" I must say seem rather subtle if they exist at all. TV and prize money are on the same level as previous games. Sponsorships did get a decent boost for 2 of the 3 teams I used to develop the league, but interestingly not for the most reputable and performing of the three. And the lesser of the other two got the biggest boost.  Not quite sure what to make of that. 

Also checked my old Gibraltar save from FM23 in FM24 and again, expected income is the same. The pre-game editor doesn't appear to have any new fixed year TV-deal sections either, like the marketing screenshot would have you think. 

Edited by trviggo