[FM23] Ernst Happel Challenge - The Energy Drink Sugar Daddy - Part 3 RB Salzburg

keeper#1

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/05/2023 at 13:39, keeper#1 said:

The late stoppage time goal Orellana was just enough to push us into 8th place and earn direct qualification into the Europa Conference Round of 16.

YES!!!  It's all rather tight, crazy how you can leap up/fall down in those new European leagues as it's the slimmest of margins that make the difference.  It looks like you're in not even on GD, but on goals scored!

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Congratulations on the title win! Time to move on or stay at Basel?

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Congratulations on the title! Does this open a next stage of the challenge?

I want to say that it opens the next stage of the challenge. I’m completely smashing everyone in the league and it only took one summer’s worth of transfers to do it. Financially, Basel isn’t going to contend for the Champions League. I’d like to move either back to The Netherlands or Portugal. Build a club that can compete for the domestic title and the Champions League. 

Plus with only 12 teams, the Swiss Super League gets very repetitive quickly.  

3 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

I want to say that it opens the next stage of the challenge. I’m completely smashing everyone in the league and it only took one summer’s worth of transfers to do it. Financially, Basel isn’t going to contend for the Champions League. I’d like to move either back to The Netherlands or Portugal. Build a club that can compete for the domestic title and the Champions League. 

Plus with only 12 teams, the Swiss Super League gets very repetitive quickly.  

Fair enough, that makes sense. 

Made quick work of your Swiss adventure. Time to head back to the Netherlands then? I wonder if PSV is open they have a pretty good squad and…okay, sorry.

This part of the challenge is going to be tricky, as there’s such a huge financial gap between the top CL clubs and even the Ajax/Porto type clubs that winning the thing will be much harder than it was in Happel’s time…

2025-26 Season Recap

c267150237a15b3119e277a0e9d098ee.png4b02a752a1ca3e49df58a071c8d96e93.png

Domestically, we did not lose a match.  We went 31-7-0 in the league and then won the Schweizer Cup.  A domestic double.  We lost three matches all season - all in the Europa Conference.  The loss to Toulouse in the Round of 16 was enough to knock us out of the Europa Conference.  A great season by all accounts.  Next season would bring the Champions League and a big step up in quality of European play.  We tailed off toward the end of the season as I did some heavy squad rotation to be ready for the Schweizer Cup Final.

eedc258ac48b4e5369f813a6fe1b78af.png

A 100-point Swiss Super League campaign.  Won the league by 21 points.  Almost doubled the point total of seven teams in the league and actually doubled the point total of four teams in the league.  St. Gallen will join us in the Champions League while Young Boys will spend next season in the Europa League.  Zurich and Sion go to the Europa Conference.  Lugano was a trainwreck all season and won just one league and earned only five points this season.  114 goals allowed (3 goals/match).  10 goals scored (0.26 goals/match).  At the other end of the table sit my Basel squad.  84 goals (2.21 goals/match) and just 12 goals allowed (0.31 goals/match).

7609442c3aa2d52331960a6d2da7d94e.png

Everyone got playing time.  Everyone but the backup and 3rd string goalkeeper got 800 minutes of playing time.  Great for squad morale and squad development.  The offense was led by the trio of Bradley Fink (27G 4A) at center forward, Liam Millar (9G 10A) at left forward and young German winger Adriano Onyegbule (13G 14A) at right forward.  Sitting behind those three forwards were a pair of goalscoring midfielders: Svit Seslar (13G 3A) and Michel Aebischer (10G 10A).  That's a lot of offensive firepower for the opposition to deal with.  Lots of scoring options coming at you from a variety of levels and positions.  We had both the vertical and horizonal layers of the attacking zone covered.  If Fink was not scoring, we had 18-goal scorer Nicolas Siri sitting on the bench waiting to score off the bench or take the starting role when Fink needed a rest.  This is a great group of players and I really don't want to leave them.  I want to see what they can do next season.

But, the 12-team Swiss Super League is very repetitive.  You see some teams four or even five times per season based on where the team falls when the league splits and if you draw them in the cup.  I want to move back to The Netherlands or head into Portugal.  Those nations, in my opinion, have the best chance of winning the Champions League.  It's going to be tough.  One of those teams is going to need the right young-ish squad and get the right draw in the Champions League.  Even the Ajax, a couple years ago, had a great chance to pull it off but fell to Tottenham on away goals.  

Well....the goal was Holland or Portugal.  However, only one of those jobs opened up after the 2026 World Cup: Benfica - they wanted nothing to do with me.  They took my application and threw it right in the trash as they bring in Gerardo Martino who stepped down as the manager of Argentina after the World Cup.  I thought about doing a Stage 2a like Happel did.  He had a brief stint at Sevilla when they were in the Spanish 2nd Tier.  None of those options appealed to me either.  So, Stage 3 will be at another 3* or 3.5* league with a club that dominates the league.  They have a higher club rep than Basel.  

7f4c7e6296757620900ee23b114f676b.png

I take a step back in league rep.  The Swiss Super League is 8th and the Austrian Bundesliga is 10th.  However, RB Salzburg has a club rep that ranks 56th in Europe.  Basel do not even crack the Top 75.  Clubs in Holland or Portugal who have club reputations near Salzburg:

Feyenoord 48th

Braga 49th

Sporting CP 53rd

PSV 54th

Anderlecht (yeah, they are Belgian) 58th

Stage 3 requires two league wins (easily attainable) and one league cup win (also easily attainable).  Achieving those while having a good showing in the Champions League; Salzburg have not qualified for the knockout phase in the last two season; should boost my rep and Salzburg's rep to make those jobs in Holland and Portugal more attainable.

30659af0045043313bab9f2c1bc75c1f.png

The board wants one thing: winning!  Nothing else is acceptable.

• keeper#1 changed the title to [FM23] Ernst Happel Challenge - The Energy Drink Sugar Daddy - Part 3 RB Salzburg

Good luck in Salzburg! High levels of energy should not be a problem for you, your staff and players :lol:

If it was me managing any of the RB sides, I'd really try to work the network to recruit progressing players from them that can play in Austria, help you in Europe, and/or be sold for massive profits to bigger and better sides (including RB Leipzig).

@Jogo Bonito That’s what I’m trying to do. Bring in players from the RB Brazil and NY Red Bulls teams to Austria and build them up. 

@13th Man The domestic part of this stage, with RB Salzburg, should be very easy and hopefully get me to a club that win the CL in Stage 4. 

It will be about 10 days until my next update. I have my laptop with me but this is my current location. 

IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.f55164510549295099da233ef008a4ae.jpegIMG_6490.thumb.jpeg.f1027143ca9ae0788881b7a1600aca30.jpeg

5 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

@Jogo Bonito That’s what I’m trying to do. Bring in players from the RB Brazil and NY Red Bulls teams to Austria and build them up. 

@13th Man The domestic part of this stage, with RB Salzburg, should be very easy and hopefully get me to a club that win the CL in Stage 4. 

It will be about 10 days until my next update. I have my laptop with me but this is my current location. 

IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.f55164510549295099da233ef008a4ae.jpegIMG_6490.thumb.jpeg.f1027143ca9ae0788881b7a1600aca30.jpeg

Not. Jealous. At. All. 

• 2 weeks later...

RB Salzburg Mid-October 2026

RB Salzburg is clearly superior to every team in the country so the updates are not going to be that great.  O'Brien can roll out anyone at the club for the Starting XI and likely win the league without breaking a sweat.

685ca58b99a740fb4bb680bd6f37e9e0.png

The table, pretty much, shows what O'Brien is dealing with when it comes to the league.  The squad has allowed just four goals in 11 matches.  Some of the matches have ended with the opposition not even getting a shot off.  In contrast, we have scored 40 goals in those 11 league matches - that's over 3.5 goals per match.  Not much to analyze here except that we are winning and winning easily.

3c34f46e857ec597f3dafc7af128b925.png

Congrats to Altach for being the only club to take points from us in the league thus far.  In the Champions League, it has been a tough affair with hard matches against Atletico Madrid and our parent club, RB Leipzig.  Both of those matches ended in 2-0 losses.  As a result, we sit toward the bottom of the table.  We have winnable matches against Galatasary and Anderlecht coming up in the Champions League.  Win those matches and we have a chance of getting into the top 24 to advance to the knockout stages.  However, the other matches remaining are against Milan, Rennes, Chelsea and Benfica.  So, it's not an easy road to Champions League qualification.

bc38c55a7ebafb63450e7f4c6ca36461.png

0137302d37424c73641495a078d583fd.png

19 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

1-0 win and zero shots allowed.  Yawn

Looks like you need to take the reputation boost of winning the title and hopefully a decent win or two in the CL and get out of there! Guess it’s nice for lying around in a beach though?

Edited by 13th Man

Red Bull gives you wings, and hopefully your wings will be in the form of a flight out of there soon. It's a bit like Switzerland, a small league and ultra dominance of one club. Europe is a challenge, but then from a gaming point of view the bread and butter (and numerically, most of your time) will be a little mundane.