How many tactics do you have at a time?

I think I've realised that I'm playing the game all wrong. Essentially for the last years I've set up 3 completely different tactics for my teams, generally using the presets recommended by the coaches. I'll use them all during pre season and then start with the one offering the most familiarity. But after 3 defeats in the tactic, I'll change it to one of the other presets and repeat.

How many do you set up for your teams? Is it a case of settling on one depending on team strengths or personal preffered style of play and just using the odd tweaks here and there?

One tactic across all slots; help for tactical familiarity to be gained (and maintained) faster. According to manual:

A maximum of three Tactics can be worked on at any one time. The Primary Trained Tactic benefits from 60% of the contribution towards the team’s Tactical Familiarity, with the other two each gaining 20%. Familiarity rises and falls depending on the team and player instructions set in a tactic and is remembered across all tactics. For example, if a player is tasked with Short Passing in all three tactics, the Familiarity will be higher in that regard, which contributes towards the overall score when extrapolated across all players and instructions.

4 hours ago, Dolphin85 said:

I think I've realised that I'm playing the game all wrong. Essentially for the last years I've set up 3 completely different tactics for my teams, generally using the presets recommended by the coaches. I'll use them all during pre season and then start with the one offering the most familiarity. But after 3 defeats in the tactic, I'll change it to one of the other presets and repeat.

How many do you set up for your teams? Is it a case of settling on one depending on team strengths or personal preffered style of play and just using the odd tweaks here and there?

I wouldn't say it's right or wrong, it's a simulator and there are coaches like Graham Potter irl who utilize multiple formations they'll switch to in match. It's only the avant-garde managers that are trying this rn and it's an approach that would require more attention to positions you're training you're starting 11 to play. With 5 subs available it's a lot more feasible than previously. 

That being said 3 variations of the same tactic is a very solid approach and I second what others have said in the thread. It'll allow you to switch from your normal tactic to protecting a lead, to looking to score much more easily. 

Edited by Cloud9

I'd love to have 4 slots, but unfortunately only 3 will do. I have the main tactic, normally on Positive. While it doesn't take up a slot, my 2nd tactic is usually the same, but on attacking, made for weak teams, or 5-20 minute periods from the start of either half or when I think we can go at them. The 3rd tactic (2nd slot) is a more defensive version (with DMs vs CMs, or LMs/RMs vs LW/RW). And the 4th tactic (3rd slot) only happens on certain saves, where I think the team could achieve a 2nd formation

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got 3 tactics currently. A high block gegenpress, a low block fluid counter and I also train a tactic designed to see out games, time wasting, play for set pieces etc.

I will always train these 3 styles and switch between them depending on opposition and situation. Works well for me as I don’t trust myself to make changes on the fly. I’ll forget something.

5 hours ago, Skora11 said:

For a player to gain role familiarity, do you need to have their individual training on that role?

Then if you were to change this, do they start to lose that familiarity even though it is a role within a tactic that you are training?

If you assign a role according to tactic role, then tactical familairity will be hitted faster and will maintained. 

13 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

If you assign a role according to tactic role, then tactical familairity will be hitted faster and will maintained. 

Yeah, that is what I thought but do they still become familiar even if you weren't training them in the role you were playing for the formation?

1 hour ago, Skora11 said:

Yeah, that is what I thought but do they still become familiar even if you weren't training them in the role you were playing for the formation?

Will be slower process, and according to some roles like Central Midfield At, CF At, RPM Su etc will take longer. IMHO, I can't find a solid reason why players to not train according to their tactic roles.

10 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Will be slower process, and according to some roles like Central Midfield At, CF At, RPM Su etc will take longer. IMHO, I can't find a solid reason why players to not train according to their tactic roles.

Telling a player to train in a role outside of his tactic role means he'll focus on developing specific attributes.

For example: You have BPD you want to be more defensively sound so you train him as NCD or a BBM as a BWM. It can be good way of increasing stats like Bravery/Tackling which you can't do individualized training for.

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

Telling a player to train in a role outside of his tactic role means he'll focus on developing specific attributes.

For example: You have BPD you want to be more defensively sound so you train him as NCD or a BBM as a BWM. It can be good way of increasing stats like Bravery/Aggression/Tackling which you can't do individualized training for.

From my experience, assign player to train according to tactic role does not train only the desired attributes and rest not. Same apply for training someone as BBM while you don't have BBM. According to my finds so far since FM19, players grow attributes according to training schedules (what training schedules you use) and from match experience (like corners etc).

Take an example Pressing Forward. In all attacking schedules, Bravery does not exist. If you see someone which have increased Bravery because of individual training and not other factors, I would like to see it.

Summary: Because you assign a player to train in specific role, does not increase only the highlighted attributes. It helps his tactical familiarity. Like this one below:

Screenshot2023-02-23000913.png.10c1f482bfe823eec457bc26e60cf07b.png

So no reason to train players in roles outside from my tactic. If I want a lighter individual training workload (which helps for some players), I leave it as blank (no assignment role).

Edited by fc.cadoni

1 hour ago, fc.cadoni said:

From my experience, assign player to train according to tactic role does not train only the desired attributes and rest not. Same apply for training someone as BBM while you don't have BBM. According to my finds so far since FM19, players grow attributes according to training schedules (what training schedules you use) and from match experience (like corners etc).

Take an example Pressing Forward. In all attacking schedules, Bravery does not exist. If you see someone which have increased Bravery because of individual training and not other factors, I would like to see it.

Summary: Because you assign a player to train in specific role, does not increase only the highlighted attributes. It helps his tactical familiarity. Like this one below:

Screenshot2023-02-23000913.png.10c1f482bfe823eec457bc26e60cf07b.png

So no reason to train players in roles outside from my tactic. If I want a lighter individual training workload (which helps for some players), I leave it as blank (no assignment role).

I'm not sure if I follow, I'm not saying he won't improve other attributes or that the focus overrides training schedules/match experience. My understanding is that it's just another component of his individual training which you can specialize.

Edited by Cloud9