How do you press 5 at the back?

Seems like it’s impossible to press them properly on this game unless you match it with a  narrow 343. When playing a 433/4232 the 3 at the back always has numerical superiority and you can’t alter your pressing shape unless changing formations.

any suggestions?

Let's remember that a lot of teams IRL build as a back 3  just to beat  the high press so your question should be, "is it possible for my team to press the back 3 opposition? should i change how i view the game?"

Having one defender more means that they lack  a player somewhere else and you can get the ball there

Edited by Andrew Marines

To beat a 5 at the back , just overpower their wingbacks. A lot depends on what you are using. So a 5212 needs to play high up the pitch with wingbacks on the front foot, a 433 has wingers who if attacking will almost always force wingbacks to more defensive work. Then you adjust your defensive line to win the 2nd balls

On 28/12/2022 at 10:53, _mxrky said:

Seems like it’s impossible to press them properly on this game unless you match it with a  narrow 343. When playing a 433/4232 the 3 at the back always has numerical superiority and you can’t alter your pressing shape unless changing formations.

any suggestions?

You are right it’s impossible to press three at the back properly unless you have three central forwards. 

in real life pressing shapes are different to the shape a team will defend as deeper, unfortunately FM is so basic it’s STC will press a DC and that’s it, you may get a AM line player press but it’s from to deep to win the ball so it’s largely pointless. 

49 minutes ago, jeru said:

You are right it’s impossible to press three at the back properly unless you have three central forwards. 

in real life pressing shapes are different to the shape a team will defend as deeper, unfortunately FM is so basic it’s STC will press a DC and that’s it, you may get a AM line player press but it’s from to deep to win the ball so it’s largely pointless. 

Yeah it’s making games vs 3 at the back teams unbearable when their virtually impossible to press

There's a couple of ways I'd attack it but ultimately it's a position of needing to change tactic to suit who you are playing against. 

• Ask the AMR, AML and ST to specific man-mark the three central defenders. Get the full backs to provide the width (assuming the AMR and AML are cutting inside). 
  • If the wide players are wingers or a mixture of IF/IW and winger:
    • IF/IW and ST to pick up CD's as well as AMC
    • i\In a 4-3-3 I'd consider getting an CM-AT to pickup the third CD.
    • Not pickup any CD's but play wide and draw the CD's out of position for the ST and AMC/CM-AT to exploit.
  • Picking up from the above; don't pressure them directly but indirectly by dragging their players out of position. Play the ball wide. Exploit their flanks and put their full back under immense pressure so the CD's have to help and thus leaves gaps centrally
  • If you are playing a mezzala I'd change role to CM. Reason being you are already overloading that particular flank so don't need a 3 vs 1 when a 2 vs 1 is fine and the third man can be used elsewhere
  • If there is a DM you will also need to potentially overload this position. Again, it shouldn't be hard if you have the ball on the flanks

Ultimately, there is no need to change shape but you may need to change roles, duties or instructions.