Anybody ever made a Brazil style setup?

rusty217

10 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

I'm wondering if anybody's ever made a league setup for a country similar to Brazil, with the national/state leagues.

I wanted to do this for India myself, but the sheer amount of work needed is kind of offputting :D

No, but it sounds interesting. How exactly does it work?

7 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

No, but it sounds interesting. How exactly does it work?

You play the state leagues at the beginning of the season, then once those are over the national league starts, so every team has 2 separate leagues they play in. Makes it quite interesting facing some different opponents and it probably helps to make the national league more competitive with a bunch of extra silverware up for grabs that's usually easier to win than the national league (although highly competitive states like Sao Paulo still have quite a few contenders for the state league).

20 hours ago, rusty217 said:

You play the state leagues at the beginning of the season, then once those are over the national league starts, so every team has 2 separate leagues they play in. Makes it quite interesting facing some different opponents and it probably helps to make the national league more competitive with a bunch of extra silverware up for grabs that's usually easier to win than the national league (although highly competitive states like Sao Paulo still have quite a few contenders for the state league).

So it would be like having Canada play provincial leagues for half the year and then combined leagues for the second half? Interesting. I may have to look into that.

I've thought about it as an optional preseason for North America. Imagine CA's state league with both LA teams, San Jose, USL teams like Sacramento and Orange County, and the USL2 Southwest champ?

Other areas could be regional like the Midwest (Chicago, Columbus, Detroit City etc) and Cascadia Cup, maybe played in Arizona or Florida like in baseball

I have started this a couple of times in England, but usually get distracted before I get onto the complicated parts

My plan is to use the 9 regions of England with each having its own league system similar to the Brazilian state leagues, that run in the first part of the season.

For the second part of the season the top 4 tiers in England run as usual, but with a reduced number of teams (16-18). With the National league being similar to the Brazilian Serie D, taking the best teams from each of the regional leagues that are not playing in the top 4 tiers.

I think the furthest I've ever got is setting up the regional leagues and the national leagues, but have never managed to get the 2 systems interacting

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So it would be like having Canada play provincial leagues for half the year and then combined leagues for the second half? Interesting. I may have to look into that.

Pretty much, yeah. Try playing in Brazil some time. It's really interesting. It does mean an absolutely packed schedule though, the state leagues run from about Jan - Apr then the national league from May - Nov. Very little pre-season time.

Hey, I've been working on this on and off for the past year or so for FM 21 & a bit on 22. You are right it's an insane amount of work, specially with the variety of clubs and the way the system is set up.

I know that you mentioned that we have a system similar to Brazil, but we actually do not. Sure, the I-league teams do play their first teams in the state leagues in some cases, specially the NE teams, but the ISL clubs' calendars is simply too full to afford that, so they either don't play in their state league (like MCFC, or NEUFC, or Odisha FC), or they use their reserve teams (Mohan Bagan & EB were planning to but ultimately pulled out)

Also, the secondary divisions system makes designing the I-league 2 an absolute nightmare. I've managed to make this work in both main and secondary divisions' case, but it works correctly only if secondary divisions are not used at all. It also makes dynamic relegation very difficult.

I did figure out a new way of getting it right with secondary clubs as a major issue is that FM does not show secondary leagues structures or job vacancies unless you specifically search for the club, but I haven't gotten a chance to try this out or test it.

Finally, AIFF itself clarified in their recent roadmap meeting that they consider state leagues as part of the pyramid, unlike what you see in Brazil, with the state leagues at level 3.

I will be working on a fully realistic pyramid and releasing it sometime later next year if time permits, I was hoping to do this sooner, unfortunately going through a transitional phase in life. I'm also waiting to see what they decide about the changes in I-league 2, and the ISL relegations and all that.

Edited by Dinda

I did something like that last year but on a European scale (Iberica League, Balkan League, Visegrad League, etc.) adding restrictions on the number of foreign players, salaries and so on. It was great but the udate broke everything and I didn't have the courage to fix it.
But it's great and it gives a great variety of different matches!

03 SL North-South (Carlitos Revival) 28.fmf

Edited by Samuel77