[FM23] Nessie Awakes!

phnompenhandy

Fourth wall breaker ahoy!

I'm delighted to see Flut has released a 3.0 version of his brilliant skin that includes a mod to hide attributes. I can show you player screens now in the way I want to play the game. Here's an example:

flut 3 player screen 1.jpg

For myself, I'll default to this screen

flut 3 player screen 2.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are our newest recruits who have already made first team appearances:

john b.jpg

slawomir.jpg

andy s.jpg

stuart r.jpg

I probably won't post player overview shots too often - I know it's the attributes you guys like to scrutinise - I just like to play the game .... differently.

Edited by phnompenhandy

The run commenced away to King’s Lynn, still the bookies favourites for the title despite lying in 6th place before kick-off. Having tweaked our training sessions in this final run to focusing heavily on the upcoming games, we dug in and battled hard; it was a slugfest with no quarter given. Then, in the 88th minute Rostock bagged the only goal of the game in a crucial 1-0 victory. We noted FC United had put five past Glenafton. We’d be hosting them next. That was a cracking game – we had to be at our best and we were. We won 3-1 and we were starting to get our belief back,

If we'd won the toughest two games of the run-in, we still had the hardest set of fixtures amongst our rivals. Don't let this slip!

last 4 matches.jpg

Whitby – a tough place to go. We were up against it and did well to come away with appoint in a 1-1 draw. A bitter-sweet result, we reflected on the journey home. Sweet in that the point guaranteed us a play-off spot; bitter in that we lost first place to Matlock and probably wouldn’t get it back.

whitby 1-1.jpg

An excellent performance from our front three including Harkiss who returned from his three-match ban to score a brace, ably supplied by Innes Smith from wingback, saw us beat Ashton United 3-1. With Matlock losing at home, we were back in the driver’s seat.         

If all the stars had aligned, we could have won the league down at Gretna. As it was, they defended resolutely, and despite them needing a win to have a chance of securing a play-off berth, the game ended 0-0. That allowed Matlock to overtake us again, but the point does bag us automatic promotion barring a 13-goal turn-around in the last round of fixtures.

The coaching staff have expressed great pleasure in recent training performances. Not a single player is shirking their efforts in training. A combination of enticing facilities, carefully nurtured and selected characters and a ruthless pruning of bad eggs in the squad has put us in a very good place indeed.

Right, on to face Buxton to see if we can grab a trophy after all.

The pressure got to the boys a bit and too many chances were spurned. In the end, our 1-1 draw was immaterial as Matlock beat King’s Lynn so we finish promoted as runners-up for the second time. No trophy, but the process progresses apace.

promoted.jpg

I'm convinced we'd have won the title if Cunningham had stayed with us until the end of the season, but there you go. He's got off to a good start in Port Vale's first team, but he won't get any awards this season.

final league table

final table.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Season review:

review - money.jpg

Hold up, Shane just called me in to inform me he's spending the TV money already!

Shane couldn't offer further upgrades or coaching courses in the latter part of the season due to our finances, but hopefully TV money at the start of next season will put us in the black and we can improve our coaching and facilities further.

This is how we lined up for most of the season. We changed our formation later on, Cunningham left us and Kelly faded, but most of this lot will be starters at the beginning of our next adventure in Tier 8.

lined up.jpg

accolades.jpg

youth up.jpg

cat 3.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Our U23 emulated the senior side by finishing runners-up of their league, but a point short, whilst the U18s won theirs on goal difference.

King’s Lynn got promoted through the play-offs. Let’s see what else went on in Britain and Ireland:

Tier 1 - Rangers and Celtic just about survive again!

t1.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

t4.jpg

Our senior affiliate, Ross County is midtable in Tier 4, and you can see Dundalk is the top Irish side.

Tier 5

t5.jpg

And coming out of Tier 6, more Republic of Ireland clubs

t6.jpg

The New saints peaked and are back down, and far more Scottish sides are continuing to get relegated rather than go the other way.

Edited by phnompenhandy

At Tier 8 we have four regional leagues:

Note the champions in Wales and Ireland are English sides that found themselves victims of administrative errors like ourselves:

t8 ire.jpg

t8 wales.jpg

Here's Scotland (with Peterboro Sports failing to make fools of their hosts):

t8 scot.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

And finally, the eight tier in England - the league we're being promoted into:

t8 eng.jpg

Now, it needs to be noted that half the teams here are professional. Shane demands a midtable finish (while playing hoofball, but let's not go there again). That means beating every part-time team - a heck of an ask. And to gain promotion in the next two years - our target I discussed earlier, I'd say we have to turn professional. We need to fully utilise our terrific training facilities, and we need to pay wages to keep our best players, or at least get a decent transfer fee if they do leave. Shane candidly notes that I'd require a full time salary when he pays me a part-time wage for doing a full-time job - and that he has no choice. He says my task is to secure an away tie in the British FA Cup at Anfield or Old Trafford; until then, we're unlikely to have the finances in place to go professional.

Edited by phnompenhandy

WOAH! He listened!

prof.jpg

So with one more season as part-timers, we have to match the bookies' expectations in a league with ex-Tier One club Oldman Athletic (and will open our tier eight league account with them). Peterboro Sports have managed to slide over to our division. Did you notice above SIX teams get relegated!

bookies odds.jpg

Over the summer we got our first internationals, too

internationals.jpg

Boylan's been called up for the UEFA U19s competition, which might take him out for most of the pre-season.

Edited by phnompenhandy

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

The run commenced away to King’s Lynn, still the bookies favourites for the title despite lying in 6th place before kick-off. Having tweaked our training sessions in this final run to focusing heavily on the upcoming games, we dug in and battled hard; it was a slugfest with no quarter given. Then, in the 88th minute Rostock bagged the only goal of the game in a crucial 1-0 victory.

You were lucky They (apparently) fired me in your alternative time-line!

Also, little tip so that You get along with Your Polish defender. Łuczak is spelled kinda of like "Woochack". I'm sure He'll appriciate You taking effort to learn proper Polish pronounciation and He will be very loyal to the team in return :D.

18 hours ago, LeLaga said:

You were lucky They (apparently) fired me in your alternative time-line!

Also, little tip so that You get along with Your Polish defender. Łuczak is spelled kinda of like "Woochack". I'm sure He'll appriciate You taking effort to learn proper Polish pronounciation and He will be very loyal to the team in return :D.

Oh, thanks for that. I wouldn't have known, and he looks to have a big future.

Here's what we're doing. I can't quite decide whether to go with inside forwards or not, so we're working on two tactics - our structured 4-3-3 with attacking wingbacks and inside forwards, AND our flexible 4-3-1-2  - a previous tactic that we know well. I'm even working on polishing up our fluid possession-heavy version of the 4-3-3 to hold on to a lead or use away. Shane and the fans hate it, but needs must. That way we can switch if one starts to get sussed out - even in-game if necessary. We've scaled back on pre-season friendlies in order to concentrate on cohesion and tactical familiarity as well as getting fit, doing two sessions a week at Dingwall.

Oldham have sold a player for £150,000. Three other players in this league have gone for over £50,000. This is what we ought to be doing, but not until we’re professional.

£50,000 in TV money, shirts sales royalties and compensation for travel expenses all came in over June, putting the club temporarily in the black.

I'd been trying to gently move on Brian Severin. Now aged 19, he was too old for the Under 18 squad, and I couldn’t ensure him much time in the first team. He eventually accepted an offer from Strathspey Thistle. On the other hand, vultures are circling around my best players – Benn Rostock, Ross Jack Nelson, Liam Macangus and Innes Smith at the moment. I have said I must ensure no players are indispensable, but I mean later, after second-string new recruits have bedded in. Pre-season is too soon! I’ve been debasing myself by resorting to the usual unctuous flattery to hang on to them. It might work in the short term – they’ve all signed new contracts with more appearance bonuses, but will surely lead to expectations I won’t be able to meet. Full-time football can’t come soon enough to this club.

Edited by phnompenhandy

The three-week pre-season is over. It felt like three months given the amount of time and effort we put into fine-tuning tactics and choosing personnel. As I mentioned, we're going with three set of tactics, and we've settled on a first team squad of 23. Reid covered for Boylan extremely well, giving me confidence in sending him off to internationals during the season. Out of hats, we've been given two pretty easy first round ties in the cups.

If you look at the attendances, you can see that despite us being compensated for travel expenses, we're losing more than money in being in a league with English teams - the ties with Scottish teams not too far away bring in wonderful crowds.

friendlies.jpg

As it says on the tin, this is to hold on to a lead, or when we see ourselves as underdogs

433 hold on.jpg

This is what we go with when we're feeling pretty confident

4213 confident.jpg

This is how we saw out our promotion season and will be our default for now. You can also see the full first team squad (non-starting members will also play for the U23s)

formation from last season and full squad.jpg

Liam Macangus announced he didn't wish to be considered for the captaincy this season. I was relieved - it had affected his form. Ewan Bell is happy to take the armband, and Liam Jardine will be his deputy.

Edited by phnompenhandy

Shane tells me he’s had a lot of the older lads in to convert their contracts from youth contracts to part-time. He reckons it’s costing him now, but it protects their value and ensures we get transfer fees when the inevitable happens. He also says it will keep frivolous bids at bay, allowing him to focus on important matters.

The bookies have Benn at 8/1 and Cailean at 25/1 to finish top scorers division this year. I’d advise you to keep your money in your pockets – they appear to have been influenced by them filling their boots against local minnows in pre-season. I’m hoping they will both do well, though.

top scorer odds.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

The first cup tie against Dunstable Town was the ideal opportunity for Bell and Smith to serve suspensions due to picking up yellow cards in the final game of last season. That and the Golspie Sutherland match were the walks in the park I expected them to be, but some of the boys were a little bit less fit than I thought they’d be after our carefully calibrated pre-season, and I had to make some minor adjustments for our first league game in tier eight against Oldham Athletic

The fans were expecting the monsters to devour the fallen giant, but it just goes to show, no matter how well you prepare in pre-season, you can never know how things will turn out. An early set-back – we’ll ready to go again.

fixtures.jpg

gw1 oldham.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

It’s tough at this level. I know I knew that, but I’ve gotten a little over-confident again. Goals were raining in in pre-season but it’s proving very difficult to create and convert chances against these defences. With 90 minutes up, we were heading to a 0-0 draw at Oxford City, but I’d clocked they’d player three days before and were wilting; I played the late sub card, turned up the spigot and hey presto! Rostock pops up with an injury time winner. 1-0 and we’re up and away!

gw 2 oxford.jpg

The positive vibes were reinforced by a handsome victory against Slough Town despite two missed penalties.

gw 3 slough.jpg

Lyall Barclay turned down an offer from Thurso – he says it’s not far enough away and is waiting for a bid by Orkney. We went him gone – he’s been a faithful servant, making 116 appearances for us, but he’s cooked, and he knows it.

We did well to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw against St. Albans after Schumacher earned himself a red card. I did misjudge in pre-season, despite the great equipment we have access to, these young boys can’t manage two games a week and I’m having to call on the new boys far earlier and more than I’d like. In addition, we're getting parents on the phone and marching into our office complaining we’re pushing their boys too far and that their sons come home exhausted. ‘No pain, no gain’, we tell them – it’ll be worth it in the long one for those who want it enough.

We went down to Barnet, and I quickly saw that we were better than them, so we went at them. We should have won, but in fact they stole it in the 93rd minute, and we lost 1-2. I didn’t feel down; in fact, I realised that we didn’t need to feel intimidated by these big professional clubs. Apart from Ebbsfleet who are sailing away into the distance, we can beat anyone in this league on our day with fair wind.

Edited by phnompenhandy

Ayr United made a bid for Boylan. Thanks to the contract Shane made him sign, we could reject it, but I’m bracing myself for a very angry young goalkeeper.

Yup, his agent couldn’t convince him his best interests are here; we’ll have to see how things pan out.

Even though I was concerned about his state of mind, I sent him down to Scarborough with ten second-choice outfield starters due to the midweek cup clash. It almost cost us – we were second best, but Rostock came off the bench to score a 90th minute winner and luck balanced out with a 2-1 win this time.

Avian identity crisis on the north-east coast: flamingo???????

scarboro win.jpg

Only one automatic promotion spot in this league, which I'd say is bagged by Ebbsfleet. Fifth is the last play-off spot. We can dream, can't we?

Edited by phnompenhandy

We’re going for it in the British Cup. Shane was only half-joking when he requested an away draw with a top flight team. We have to travel to Newtonards in Ulster to play Ards. That’s why I rested the entire first team. There was nothing in it and 1-1 was a fair result. So we bring them back to our place, causing a bit of fixture congestion but I feel we’re better placed to cope now.

ards.jpg

We got back from Ireland the day the transfer window was closing. East Fife came in for Innes Smithy but he turned them down flat. The window closed without us losing anyone although Boylan’s in a grump.

The boys rested and didn't train. I decided on the positive version of the 4-3-3 since we were at home. That did the trick – we smashed them 4-0. Campbell got a hat trick – all fed by inside forwards and attacking wingbacks, and they never had a shot on target.  In the third round we’re at home to minnows Pike Rovers from Limerick, but maybe we’ll strike gold in the fourth.

ards 40.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Kidderminster Harriers were a professional side that proved too strong for our second string and we went down 1-3. I hope our ambition for cup glory doesn’t cost us in the end.

I took a chance on ignoring that lesson to save my strongest line up for the second round Regional Cup tie at Oxford City, whom we beat narrowly 1-0 in the league the month before and are now propping up the league. I hoped the second-string would do better at home in a game with Guiseley. With us short in midfield whilst better supplied at centre back, I tried moving the young Pole Luczak into the middle alongside Hungarian Szmeredi. Despite half the lineup having player fewer than five senior games, they collectively played very well, restricting the opposition to two off-target shots all match. Unfortunately, the experience striker Campbell couldn’t convert any of the six chances he was presented with and the game ended 0-0. But again, it was a game that reinforced my confidence that we have real strength in depth now.

We swatted a poor Oxford City aside 2-0 in the Regional Cup. In retrospect, I should have sent the second string down to the Dreaming Spires and avoided dropping two points to Guiseley. The reward is a home tie against Hendon, struggling in the ninth tier. I will play the rather excellent second-string in that match.

Next up we were away to South Shields, whom we beat 2-0 in the cup last season when we were a tier below them. With the upcoming fixtures, I calculated that I needed my strongest side to play Saturday games, and second XIs to play in the midweek games. The front three of Harkiss, Rostock and Taylor were imperious against South Shields, grabbing five in a 5-1 win, reminding me that one of them needs to spearhead a weaker line-up in midweek.

what the heck? Ross!!!!

dives into tackles.jpg

We were home to fellow promotes Matlock Town next. They were riding high in sixth place. Topped and tailed by Boylan (maintaining a professional attitude despite his grievance) and Taylor, the (can’t keep calling it) second-string side faced them at KGV Park. It turns out with this line-up the centre forward position is diminished – Taylor was pretty anonymous, but the inside forwards produced the goods with Ryan Henly getting his first goals in a narrow 2-1 win.

The best XI went down to Worthing, lying in third. It was a tough, even game with a corresponding 1-1 result. In midweek Innes Smith nobbled himself training and would be out for a few weeks. I think our strength in depth can cover the loss. As we turned into October we slipped up against struggling Gloucester. It was a match we dominated and should have won easily, but it took a 90th minute goal from Rostock to salvage a 1-1 draw.

One point off a play-off spot - what a terrific start. And I know it's the kiss of death, but I must confess, I am looking up the table

fixtures after 10.jpg

table after 10.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Salaries in our league:

salaries top.jpg

salaries bottom.jpg

It doesn't make a lot of sense out of context - our salaries are paid primarily via bonuses, although it's still the lowest in the division. This will change when we turn professional; I leave that all up to Shane.

This is more problematic and on the face of it, insolvable - we're just not a footballing region -

attendances.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Liam has brought me the league data after 12 games - our patterns are exactly the same as last season when we got promoted, which is encouraging. We seem to have settled on our more offensive tactic as things are going well.

This is what we do:

Possession, passing, pressing

press.jpg

possess and pass.jpg

Resulting in:

final 3rd.jpg

shots 2.jpg

shots.jpg

This is what we don't do: lacking in size and strength, we make up for them in aggression - don't try to intimidate us!

Tackles won

tackles.jpg

Headers won (we keep it on the carpet!)

head.jpg

fouls.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

The last time we went down to King’s Lynn they beat us 0-3, so there was a sense of a revenge mission on our minds. They, on the other hand, we keen to demonstrate their superiority over us continued from tier nine to tier eight, and this time they won the argument as we lost 1-2. Schumacher reminded us that he’s not ready for the first team against quality, so we’ll cover Smith with one of our new kids, Blair Cooper, in future.

To be honest, we didn’t know anything about our cup opponents Pike Rovers over the sea in the Sceptred Isle, but focussing on our tactics in training we felt prepared when we welcomed the men from Limerick. They did a good job nullifying our threats down the flanks, so at half time we switched to our 4-3-1-2 with a couple of substitutions. From the kick-off Harkiss came on and opened the scoring, and Taylor added a late second on the break to make the final score 2-0. It wasn’t easy, but aided by Cooper who was everything Schumacher wasn’t, we were through.

Immediately after that game we hosted league leaders Ebbsfleet. We were at full strength bar right back. Smith was still a week away and Cooper had exerted himself in midweek, so I called up another debutant, Anthony Sandhu to do his best.  He did as well as anyone, but they were simply too good for us and we went down 0-1.

Just as Scottish-Hungarian Adam Szemeredi was securing himself a first team squad spot, a club from his motherland approached, and he left us. Another gap in midfield to plug. Why is it always the midfielders? He leaves in January, but as he's no longer part of our future, he drops to the Under 23s and untried Connel Carling is called up.

bottom half: don't be fooled - we're better than it looks

bottom half.jpg

New kids on the block, 'Coopy' and 'Jesus' (no relation to the boss)

cooper.jpg

carling.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

17 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Ayr United made a bid for Boylan. Thanks to the contract Shane made him sign, we could reject it, but I’m bracing myself for a very angry young goalkeeper.

Yup, his agent couldn’t convince him his best interests are here; we’ll have to see how things pan out.

Even though I was concerned about his state of mind, I sent him down to Scarborough with ten second-choice outfield starters due to the midweek cup clash. It almost cost us – we were second best, but Rostock came off the bench to score a 90th minute winner and luck balanced out with a 2-1 win this time.

Avian identity crisis on the north-east coast: flamingo???????

scarboro win.jpg

Only one automatic promotion spot in this league, which I'd say is bagged by Ebbsfleet. Fifth is the last play-off spot. We can dream, can't we?

Flamingo Land is an actual theme park in North Yorkshire (and I've been there). It makes for an odd name as a stadium sponsor though :D

Has it only been six days? This is a one-club academy challenge; I thought I'd try a contrasting challenge, so made up a CELTIC JOURNEYMAN save and started at a low amateur level in Wales. Here:

game 5.jpg

The idea is to win promotion then resign and restart in another Celtic nation one tier higher. Which happens to include Tier 6 in Scotland - which has brought me back to Loch Ness and this save. I'm due to continue tomorrow once I've got myself reacquainted.

My CELTIC JOURNEY thread is here:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/571591-a-celtic-journey/

Edited by phnompenhandy

I might have miscalculated a bit – I thought our squad was sufficient for rotation with two games a week but in fact by now we’re absolutely exhausted and not recovered as well as we should. Fortunately, our next two matches were at home, after which with huge relief, we move into the once-a-week phase (cup ties aside). The first was against Darlington. We were fortunate to get away with a point in a 1-1 draw when, astonishingly, BOTH our left wingbacks earned themselves red cards! The suspensions will hurt but the move to Saturdays-only will help, so long as another emergency debutant, Connan Lobban, steps up.

two red cards and lengthy suspensions :seagull::seagull:

2 red cards.jpg

With Smith back on the right and Lobban filling in on the left, we hosted basement-dwellers Peterborough Sports and finally got ourselves three points with a 3-1 victory. Our goals all came in the first half hour – after that the pace fell right off and the boys dragged themselves over the line. We have a WEEK to recover for the first time this season!

I plan to do much more than recover, however. I'm leaving all the training sessions in the trusted hands of my coaching staff and spending a week on observation at St. Georges' Park National Football Centre in Burton, England. It's part of my training for my Continental A coaching licence. My intention is to soak up their philosophy of creating and instilling an 'England DNA' and apply it here - a 'Highland DNA', if you like.

Edited by phnompenhandy

The course was, for me, transformative. Rather than spelling it out exhaustively, it's all here in this video:

Introduction to the England DNA - Burton Albion Youth Academy Only

I will immediately set about inculcating new tactics and training. If results are adversely impacted in the short term, that will be no bad thing - we just need to stay in this league this season - one step back to go ten leaps forward, as it were.

The week included a practice match behind closed doors at Glenelg. I loved what I saw. I would never have contemplated asking 15- and 16-year-old kids to play roles such as Complete Wingback, Ball-Playing Defender or Libero, but that’s what ‘DNA’ is all about – developing rounded players with a host of skillsets while they’re so young – and by constantly training and implementing what they learn in matches, the muscle memory will remain.

The formation is the one we used for four months last season – the 5-2-1-2 that the squad is familiar with, but the roles and duties are new. It will take time to bed in but it’s not completely alien really. It brings two 16-year-olds into the first team who’ve only played half a dozen games each – Blair Cooper looks more comfortable in the new wingback role than Innes Smith, And Johnie Rothnie has taken to the role of Segundo Volante quicker than Andy Smith or Jay Cook. You met ‘Coopy’ above – ‘Here’s Johnny’!

rothnie.jpg

And THIS is the front end of 'Highland DNA'

Highland DNA.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

I'm late, but congrats on promotion. Reasonable start at the new level, especially based on that quite startling wage comparison.

Maybe I missed it (or most likely forgot it with age) but who is filling up all the Welsh, Irish and Scots clubs in Europe? Just a smaller European competition? 

2 hours ago, anagain said:

I'm late, but congrats on promotion. Reasonable start at the new level, especially based on that quite startling wage comparison.

Maybe I missed it (or most likely forgot it with age) but who is filling up all the Welsh, Irish and Scots clubs in Europe? Just a smaller European competition? 

I'd never thought of that, being so deep down the pecking order. Looking at last season's final top table, it seems no non-English sides qualified for Europe

Screenshot 2022-12-29 090309.jpg

But then I found this - first preliminary round of the Champions League

europe.jpg

Teams the creator of the fantasy pyramid left out, or are too low even for his tier 9 of Scotland, Wales and the Irelands qualify.

I doubt I'll ever get far enough for that to be relevant to this campaign. I'm waiting for a poster named 'angryscotsman' to release his fantasy Scottish ten-tier database in a month or so, which I will combine with a 10-tier English and discrete Welsh, Norn Irish and Rep Irish lower league add-ons (if my rig runs all that) and start a "Highlands & Islands DNA" campaign that hopefully will take me until FM24.

Edited by phnompenhandy

As mentioned earlier, my plan was somewhat undermined by both my left wingbacks getting three-match bans simultaneously, but we cracked on in the first game at Chippenham anyway. We played like Brazil for an hour, but we were up against a keeper plying the game of his life. The tactic is super-intensive and the boys will need time to get fit enough – as they tired and I dithered over substitutions, Chippenham struck and we fell 1-2. It was unlucky – ‘trust the process’ I told them back in the locker room.

Our next opponent, Welling had a midweek game just three days before meeting us. Advantage The Monsters. And we outran them and controlled the game from start to finish, pacing ourselves well and cruising to a 2-0 win.

As I failed to return calls from Reading, lying 20th in the Championship (tier 2), I prepared an entirely different squad for the visit of Hendon (21st in a 9th tier league) in the 3rd round of the Regional Cup. Asa Millard took his opportunity to start as a striker by bagging a hat-trick, and promising defender Jonathan Munro scored in a 5-2 trouncing.

Refreshed, our first team scored an away win at Blyth Spartans with Danny Taylor converting a hat-trick of penalties in a 4-0 victory. The next weekend, taking on Havant AND Waterlooville was a step too far for Liam Macangus. With us winning, he got himself sent off again, and as a result we lost our way and lost the game 1-2. That boy’s for the high jump. The following Saturday, the second string did a better job and despatched basement-dwellers Wealdstone 3-1. The reason the first team didn’t play was due to the impending midweek FA Cup tie home to Norwich City.

We could have played cautiously against Norwich City – should have, I suppose, with memories of home drubbings by Galway and Crystal Palace fresh in our minds, but I still reasoned if we were going to lose, we should go out all-guns blazing. And we did. Another heavy defeat, 1-6 in front of a sell-out crowd of 500. My only regret was starting Benn Rostock – I ought to have remembered he crumples in the spotlight, but it wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome anyway. Additionally, Rothnie picked up an ankle-nack that will keep him out for six weeks, and none of these players will be fit to start the next game in three days against 2nd placed Maidenhead. A few regrets, actually.

our seasonal reminder of who we really are

837382924_Norwich1-6.thumb.jpg.886c007350e08db511ddb6119ec15a8e.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

A fair few of the supporters who paid to see us slaughtered on the Wednesday returned on the Saturday to see the second string put in a far better rear-guard effort against a superior team in the form of professional outfit Maidenhead United. Millard put us in the lead but we succumbed to the by now drearily predictable stoppage-time goal to draw 1-1. The result kept us in 10th spot as Maidenhead went top.

The first team needed a win to get their heads back up after Norwich. We took them down to Dorking where Macangus made a valiant effort to stay on the pitch after his three-match suspension, but saw the other wingback, Cooper get redded after 12 minutes. That, combined with Rostock back in his depression, it was no surprise we didn’t have a single shot on target and were fortunate to only lose 0-1.

Muir Morton's been in touch.

intake preview.jpg

I've told him not to worry, as we don't need fullbacks. The goalkeeper could be important as Preston North End are the latest club to snoop around Boylan. The centreback and striker look intriguing. We might need to lean on the Royal Academy to replenish our midfielders and wingbacks if they have any. As Muir points out, it's far too early to even speculate on that front, as they effectively recycle academy rejects from Inverness and Dingwall for us.

Edited by phnompenhandy

At home to Oxford City, the after-effects of the Norwich massacre could still be felt. Millard led the line in place of Rostock, banished to the reserves, but we were still flat and owed our 2-2 draw to the determination of Danny Taylor.

Our second- and third-stringers got a chance to impress me in the Regional Cup 4th Round tie against Open Goal Broomhill. In a crazy game, Benn Rostock came on late when we were losing, grabbed a late equaliser to make it 2-2 and then two more in extra time. We won 6-4.

The draw for the next round sent us to Oldham, where we were going with our first team this weekend, the last game before Christmas. The extra time left us sparse of bodies for the bench. They’re a professional club on the path to recovery and it was a tough ask, but we were doing fine, winning 1-0 when Andy Smith took his turn in the red card stakes and we ended up going down 1-2.

results since dna.jpg

Results since introducing our “DNA”. A mixed bag, but there was always going to be a readjustment period. I’m already looking forward to next season when we turn professional. Many of the players are over the honeymoon period with the training facilities at Dingwall and are complaining about the extra workload – but when we’re full-time, and they can quit their part-time jobs and Highers, we should really push on.

Edited by phnompenhandy

With Andy Smith banned for three games, Rothnie’s return from injury was timely. I would have given him an extra week, but needs must. I dropped a few underperforming players and took the rest down to Slough – just the kind of team you want to face when you need to restore some self-belief. We played well, and we won 2-0 with both goals courtesy of Innes Smith. We closed out 2025 on a high, safely ensconced in mid-table.

New Year 2026 rolled around. We resolved to spend the year establishing the club DNA in our hearts, minds and bodies. I reminded the lads that when we go professional, not all will make the cut. Any who can’t get their lives in order so they can give the club 100%, or anyone who can’t make the mental adjustment, would be released. We’ve been within a shout of promotion or in danger of relegation this season, but there’s to be no slackening off. We’ve got six or seven months to make a winning mentality our muscle memory.

Which is not to say we had to win our next match, against full-time ex-league outfit Barnet. We had a steady succession of Saturdays only - bar the cup tie(s), and I was looking for more consistency in our performances. I considered asking them to go a bit gentler and avoid all those cards (we lead the league for red cards with six, and are third on yellows), but reasoned it would undermine our DNA and lead to considerably less possession. Instead, I hoped that with experienced, they’d eventually learn to tackle more legitimately.

We drew 2-2 with Barnet – it was a fair result and a decent performance against a stronger side, as Adam Szemeredi signed off on his time with us in a reserves game before departing for his home country of Hungary.

Blackpool came in with a cash money offer for our goalkeeper, Andy Boylan. He really wanted to go, but the offer wasn’t enough and we couldn’t afford to lose him at this point. I made some vague assurances. They came back with a non-negotiable deal of six grand and a loan-back for the season. It wasn’t good enough, but Andy’s form had dipped in the last two games since his head was turned, and I knew he’d kick up if we rejected the offer. Dejectedly, we agreed. The day after forms were signed, Cardiff, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday came in with offers worth double. Shane was fuming – negotiations is not the greatest skill.

Amidst all the business shenanigans, a crazy game of football broke out in St. Albans with Benn Rostock scoring four in a 5-3 win. Then we got back to our habitual drawing ways at Darlington, with Harkiss getting both in a 2-2 tie. The underlyings were looking good - I'd hoped to trot out the same line-up for the next game - alas, we had two suspensions to deal with. Of course we did.

We despatched Scarborough very tidily in a 4-1 win, and closed out January with a 2-2 draw against Kidderminster Harriers.

If we’ve found any semblance of consistency this season, it’s our commitment to mid-table mediocrity.

reaults jan.jpg

midtable.jpg

February opened with that cup quarter-final at Boundary Park, Oldham. If we’d won it and reached the semis I’d have felt obliged to go all-out to win the Regional Cup, but our seconders lost gallantly 1-2. There was an empty spot on the bench as Innes Smith had disembarked the coach at Stirling – he’d abruptly announced he was off to sign for East Stirlingshire. It was transfer deadline day.  At 18, he was one of our senior players and has 92 appearances under his belt. He’d declared how delirious he was to sign a new (non-)contract the week before. It’s a hard one to take.

At the weekend we hosted South Shields. The first team was back, although I had to shoehorn Schumacher into the space Smith had vacated. He did alright – it was Boylan who let us down at the last minute to confirm a 2-2 draw. Our backup keeper, Stuart Reid is vastly inferior to Boylan, but he needs match experience and I might give him that sooner rather than later at this rate.

Reid did play at Guiseley and was fine. We got a rare away win, beating them 2-1. Then we did it again – braces from Rostock and Campbell (in for the suspended Harkiss) helped us to a 4-2 win at Matlock. Week on week, you could see the progress in understanding and implementing our tactic. We ended February by dominating but failing to kill off 6th placed Worthing, drawing 1-1.

unbeaten in the league for two months

300905533_2monthsunbeaten.thumb.jpg.5e57b69ca84a904d7329aa5edb67cf95.jpg

dirty wee monsters (hey, it's in our dna!)

discipline.jpg

Functionally illiterate to professor in under four years

the scholar.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

March – and Taylor scored the goas that gave us a 2-0 victory in Gloucester. The clean sheet was the first we’d kept since December and only our second since early November. I don’t want to tempt fate, but it did look as if the boys are getting fitter and more capable of lasting 90 minutes.

In a huge marker, we went down to first-placed Ebbsfleet and beat them 1-0. We really suffocated them and repeated our feat of keeping a clean sheet.

We are on a roll.

on a roll.jpg

The feeling around the club is great, the bank balance is healthy, the new youth intake is imminent, and we're readying to turn professional. The time was right to soften up Shane. Boom!

extra coach.jpg

u18 2nd coach.jpg

Followed by the big asks:

yth recr up.jpg

exceptional junr coch.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Hmm, slim pickings. £20 appearance fee contracts to eight of them. The rest will be recycled through the Royal Academy at Inverness.

retain 6 yi.jpg

The Royal in turn expects four rejects from Ross County and Inverness Caledonian Thistle to seek us out.

Edited by phnompenhandy

Shane and Muir share my assessments

evaluated.jpg

I'm hoping MacKay will be our next Boylan (eventually). McKee might be not far off the first team squad as a backup to Danny Taylor. I don't think any others will see first team action for a season or two. Off-screen is Leo Kennedy, who we'll try to mould into a right wingback, although he's one I'm not confident about - it's really because Innes Smith left us short. On the other hand, Muir is raving about a kid who is a super-fast forward who fell out with the youth coach at Caley Thistle and is heading our way.

In the midst of all the comings and goings we did play a game of football. I inadequately prepared the boys for the match at home to Kings Lynn and we lost 1-2. A twelve-game unbeaten streak gone. Hands up, that’s on me. We weren't much better down at Peterborough Sports, but we stopped them playing. I was decisive in removing Rostock once I was aware it was one of his stinker days, and we coasted to a 1-0 win. The result officially relegated the Turbines.

Between those games I felt a bit disappointed in myself when the chairman called me in to discuss a new contract. This time I just accepted the same terms. I'm prepared to see how the first season as a professional club goes before making any moves.

Edited by phnompenhandy

3 hours ago, Vakama2619 said:

Hey what database is that?

United Leagues Of Britain - 10 Tiers - 9 Cups

I found it on Steam workshop. The creator doesn't appear to have a presence on this site, or twitter, so I couldn't find out any more about it. I used to make systems like this myself back in FM17 or 18 or something, but it was so much work!

With some reshuffling of the pack, after twelve incomings, eight youngsters were let go. We decided that after a few run-outs in the first team, Roland Virag is far from ready and drops to the Under 18s. Seven players who played a few first team games will be based in the Under 23s; Asa Millard and Jason Kelly have done little wrong but I want to take an extended look at a couple of new prospects who usurp their places. The same goes for Reid in goal, Carling and Brown. The more dedicated ones will likely get chances in time; the less committed will fade away. We're also experimenting to see if the solution to our right wingback problem is Ryan Henly. He had been quite successful last season as an inside right in our old system, and hasn't really fitted in anywhere since we went 5-2-1-2. He just might be able to convert to an attacking wingback. He'll trial it in the Under 23s until the end of the season.

The three forward new entrants to the first team are all speed-merchants. The board and fans wanted counter-attacking – we’re going there. The quickest is Stan McConnachie. Mentally, he’s very mature, but physically he’s small and slight, and Sara tells us his health is delicate. He’s possibly even less consistent than Rostock – we could start with both, but be ready to make quick subs.

This is the squad to take us to the end of the season

squad to end of season.jpg

This is the report on Stan. You'll see more of him when we've had the players' photographs done

stan mcc report.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

We were due to play four teams fighting for survival in April, followed by three chasing automatic promotion in May. I hoped that sequence would help us bed in any new kids and set them up well for the late run.

First up was Chippenham. They fought hard and deserved their point in a pulsating 3-3 draw. Our three goals were shared by our new front pairing – the partnership shows real potential but required a little tweaking. We then beat Blyth Spartans, who are all-but buried, 3-2. It should have been more comfortable, but they exploited our right flank weakness. Rostock’s maintaining his current form.

Opponents seem to be aware of Speedo Stan. They sit deep and don’t give him the chance to turn on the after-burners. Maybe he’ll show what he can do against the top sides.

In fact, it was Welling who came out and tried to play – maybe because they were the home team. Stan opened his account with an astonishing four goals in a 6-2 demolition. Scarily, the win takes us up to 6th, one off a play-off space albeit three points behind – with a healthy goal difference. Promotion was never on the table – dare we dream?

It’s a pity the supporters don’t travel 600 miles each way to see a match like this – just going off results they don’t appreciate the long-term benefits of instilling the club DNA. In the short-term, defenders clogging the ball into Row Z might result in fewer goals conceded, but we’re trying to develop a footballing culture, with defenders developing their composure and skills on the ball. The results are not evident yet and might not be for a good long time, but it will be worth it!

We ended April down in lowly Wealdstone. They’d clearly had a scout watching us at Welling. They snuffed out our efforts at playing football and tied up our forwards. It took Harkiss, on as alate sub to do something different to open the scoring although they quickly hit back to end the game 1-1.

Since the adjustments to the squads after the fleshing out of the squad as a whole along with pruning of less professionally-minded characters, all complaints over training have dried up and everyone is putting in proper shifts now.

3 to go, and Dorking look dead

3 to go.jpg

And those three don't look as foreboding as they did a month ago. Like a marathon runner timing his strategy to perfection, we have the wind in our sails. :brock:

last 3.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

The one position we don’t have cover for is right wingback, so naturally Blair Cooper got himself suspended with a silly yellow card. After just one trial in the reserves, I asked Ryan Henly to do his best against Havant & Waterlooville – league leaders for most of the season but recently doing a bottle job. Henly played well; the defence played better, preventing even one shot on target. The forwards won the game with Rostock scoring both goals in a 2-0 win. Dorking remembered how to win so we were still one off a play-off spot. We play them next - it will be a cup final. Cooper will be joined two more in the stands as three are banned. Even without both first-choice wingbacks, we pinned them down, but lacked a creative dimension. The match was petering out when Harkiss came on as a late sub and grabbed a goal in a crucial 1-0 win. With one game to go, we were in the play-off spots for the first time!

one to go

one to go.jpg

The last game is away to Maidenhead. They need the win to have a chance of the title and the one automatic promotion spot. And they are in red hot form.

If we fail to win, Dorking play the 4th placed team who Havant anything to play for. Kidderminster could catch us too. Shane says he'll be glued to Twitter for updates in their matches.

Edited by phnompenhandy

The home side seemed nervous – we didn’t care. We laid into them from the first whistle and never let up. Rostock got three, Taylor two – our front three were imperious. We smashed Maidenhead 5-1 – a team that had won their last seven and not conceded in three. As it turned out, we’d have stayed in fifth even if we’d lost. We’d seen off the two sides immediately above us; the only problem was we’d be facing second-placed Ebbsfleet next – and they’d also scored five.

what a phenomenal run - even I had never imagined this

the run.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy

Turned out I didn’t know how this league worked. The play-offs were delayed because one league game between two midtable sides had been postponed a couple of times. With the delay, my plyers were losing match fitness so I arranged a friendly with Fortrose. Suddenly the league game was completed an immediately afterwards, a draw was made for the play-offs. We drew Ebbsfleet anyway, but it was scheduled for the next day at Fylde, so the friendly had to be cancelled and the team embark on the long drive without being able to prepare.

I’m not going to say the clusterf0ck affected us, but we never truly got going; to be fair Ebbfleet are a very good footballing side. But we were doing fine, drawing 1-1 and heading to extra time when in the 94th minute Ewan Bell decided on a backpass to end all backpasses. So near yet so far.

94th minute.jpg

Sigh. We got back home, dejected to a last man, woman and boy. But I've time to reflect.  It's probably for the best.

Liberos, ball-playing centre backs, complete wingbacks, Segundo Volantes – none of these are born. They’re made and that’s what we do. It takes time, which is why I had been apprehensive about bagging promotion too quickly. Now we'll turn professional and have twice the amount of time to train on these roles and skills. If we carry on with the form that carried us through the second half of the season, we will run away with this league and be a year more mature when we do reach Tier 7. We're all good.

No time to be sad - it's all go go go

Just as we turned professional, Shane presented me with another contract – same money but for two years. This time he was amenable to a bit of negotiating and I got a decent 30% rise.

pro.jpg

contract.jpg

Edited by phnompenhandy