[FM 23] Olympique de Marseille: Igor Tudor's project

nico_france

3a88c6b48aed5873db95525206b2a706.png

tudor.png.4ebbf5914a8d40fdd444d3397764b0dd.png

Welcome to The Olympique de Marseille thread 2023

Founded in 1899, the club plays in our beloved "farmers league" and have spent most of their history in the top tier of French Football . The club has won ten Ligue 1 titles, ten Coupe de France and three Coupe de la Ligue. In 1993, belgian coach Raymond Goethals led the team to become the first and only French club to win the UEFA Champions League, defeating Milan 1–0 in the final, the first under the UEFA Champions League branding of the tournament. In 2010, Marseille won its first Ligue 1 title in 18 years under the management of former club captain and France icon Didier Deschamps.

12 years without any titles is far too much for such a club

Now you inherit Tudor's vision with a solid core of players, will you bring back trophies to the Velodrome and make the fans proud ?

Stadium

If you take in charge Marseille you will discover the wonderful Stade Velodrome, fully renovated in 2014, you now have a breath taking place of 67.354 fans which are going to help you to win !

It's obviously the biggest stadium available for a French Ligue 1 team so far, but you will have to be good enough to fill all the empty seats that the stadium used to have in the last years...and Marseille fans are really tough to convince so be smart !

Your facilities are also excellent, and will need few improvements

Vel.png.473fcfc4ab481182ccebab025e7323c5.png

Board expectations and club vision

1229545736_OMpredict.png.6bbc129cc687d32fa8d5c2dceea38202.png

The board wants you to achieve a top 3 finish, as usual, PSG will be the favorite for the league tittle, but you'll have others teams to compete with, such as Monaco, Lyon, Rennes and Nice

This year you have interesting players in important aeras, but you will need to work on the transfer market to strenghten some weak positions, as usual with marseille...

You will get 11M€ available, and no wages left at all

Fans Expectations

1629075871_Fansexpectations.png.2a6ded0dbccbdfcc432a51723c09c34d.png

At least you know which are the matches you should not lose :)

Kits

1720473390_omkit.png.f6c8ed86353be2e9941dee987664c5d2.png

ALLEZ L'OM

SQUAD ANALYSIS

Goalkeepers

pau.png.b9933df5b9258b50cf247b51202cc8b0.png

PAU LOPEZ

On loan, last year, the deal is now permanent

Your starter between the stick,s, reliable lad

RUBEN BLANCO (on loan, no buyout)

Useful back up, as you don't have good replacements options in your youth teams

Transfers Recommandations: Not a priority area for this season, but you will need to invest in a near future

Defenders

Centre Back

mbemba.png.b136ee363f0188d72e4d3d618a6c1b84.png

MBEMBA

Superb find from Longoria's here, the solid CB joined Marseille on a free from FC Porto, and it's a great addition to the team

Your best CB in the squad

BAILLY (on loan, 9.75M€ buyout clause)

For PL lovers, a well known face joined Marseille from Manchester United this year

For the team you inherit, and for Ligue 1, it's obviously a good CB

Bear in mind that the buyout clause will be automatically triggerred if Eric plays 19 games in Ligue 1, to consider if you don't want to keep him as his salary will be important in that hypothesis

BALERDI

Surprisingly remained at the club this summer

Like last year, not your starter, but will provide depth in this area

GIGOT

Again a nice freebie brought in by Longoria

The french lad signe a precontract last January to leave Spartak Moscow and join Marseille this summer

Good CB here, you can rely on him to start a lot of matches for you this season

TOURÉ

The giant (2m04!)  french national left footeed CB is considered as a real prospect in France,

19 y/o and room to grow, you might be consider loaning him this season

Transfers Recommandations: If you want to play like Tudor with a back 3, investments are mandatories in this area during the first season, lack of quality when a starter is missing

Wingbacks

888243912_nunoom.png.0929d4b6decd2b0ae808992c406e927a.png

Right side

CLAUSS

French full international is joining your side this year, and it's great addition to the squad

He has all you need to shine in a WB position where his attacking abilities will be fully exploited

Can cover your left flank in case you need it

KABORÉ (on loan from City, 19.75M buyout clause)

Nice option to cover your right wing as well,

Less impactful than Clauss, but will definitely do the job for you this season as a back up

Left side

NUNO TAVARES (on loan from Arsenal, no buyout)

Season after season the connection beteween Marseille and Arsenal is still working hard

No room for Nuno in Arsenal this year ?

No problems, we need him in Marseille !

Great addition for our set up, your starter

And who knows ? The lad might be as efficient as Saliba this year when he will be coming back to London ;)

KOLASINAC

Arsenal's connection strikes back

Joined Marseille last winter, the bosnian will cover the left flank and the CB spot, will run out of contract at the end of the season

Transfers Reccomandations: The leftback spot is a concern in the short term, investements are a priority here

Midfielders

veretout.png.1f7e8ccbd0350fe2807fb951814d0e76.png

VERETOUT

Summer signing from AS Roma, the french international is a great addition for the team

Good defensive abilities and also gifted with his feet to deliver passes

Definitely a starter

GUENDOUZI

Deal is now permanent for the former (oh surprise) Arsenal player

Matteo is now a full french international player, and a reliable impact player for most of the teams

Your starter for years to come and obviously a must keep

GERSON

A more attacking minded midfielder

Great player for the team, the brazilian international is a viable option for the AMC spot as well

A must keep

RONGIER

Club vice captain, he can provide depth as B2B midfielder and also in more defensive role

Can help you out on the right flank as well

Useful team player with good mentality

GUEYE

Useful for the rotation, not a starter imo

Transfers Recommandations: Not a priority area for the current season, this is where you have the more quality in the team

Attacking midfielders

170334094_haritom.png.fd9dbff3d252d260087337b4d8db63b3.png

Right side

UNDER

Deal is now permanent for the former AS Roma player

Only natural option for the spot, he can be really interesting in AMC position if you want to stick with Tudor's approach

Left side

HARIT (on loan from Schalke, 5M€ buyout clause)

Loaned once again this year at the end of the transfer window

He's completely capable to play in this position if you want it to

But he has more impact as AMC for my taste

5M€ is cheap for this quality, Homegrown player

Central

PAYET

Club captain, ageing player but can offer a lot

Your best set pieces taker

Up to you if you want him to be a starter or more likely a super sub and a rotation player

Transfers Recommandations: Lack of depth in this area, you should be considering investing shortly

Strikers

alexis.png.6c0c7b9b23fafca4a77dd651f0fadbc6.png

ALEXIS SANCHEZ

One more freebie snapped by Longoria in Inter, and again one great former Arsenal player

Even if the chilean is already 33y/o he still has to offer a lot for your team

A starter, only one year contract for him

LUIS SUAREZ

The colombian joined the club this summer, interesting striker as he can play alone upfront

Definitely a good option, i've been really surprised by its performance IG

Play him

DIENG

Winner of the African Nations Cup with Sengeal

The young striker has room to grow, useful for the rotation

Transfers Recommandations: An area where you don't need to invest right away, but next summer you will have to do something especially if Milik is joining Juventus on a permanent deal

INTERESTING PLAYERS ON LOAN

Milik is in Juventus this season, and they have a cheap buyout clause for him, if hopefully they dont buy him, you will inherit a very good striker next season

Pol Lirola is Elche this season, with a buyout clause, if he's coming back in Marseille next season, you will have a good right WB to cover Clauss

De la Fuente is in Olympiakos this season, buyout clause as well, can be decent for the AML spot

Radonjic is in Torino with a tiny buyout clause, and he's running out of contract in 2023, might be some changes for release as the buyout clause is not working properly at the moment

Edited by nico_france

TACTICS

If you want to stick with Tudor's vision, as i do, this is the set up i will recommend, obviously there are others options, like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

273460103_startingXI.png.b842ab1b93e47946c511e27fcc179693.png

This set up will allow your WB to be part of your matches, your midfield will be harrasing your opponent, Tudor's mentality is definitely gegenpress oriented, and you have the right players to do so

Best of luck with your stay in Marseille this season !

Edited by nico_france

Great thread.

I'm doing an online save with a friend, we did a wheel spinning mega draw to disccover our teams, he landed Newcastle United and i got Bordeaux. My goal with them is to win Ligue 2 first season then solidify the clubs position in Ligue 1. I done this last year where i started out at Auxerre in our online save before moving onto Lille, this year my eye is firmly on Marseille & Issak Toure.

Will definitely be checking in here throughout FM23.

Il y a 21 heures, Hoarau a dit :

Great thread.

I'm doing an online save with a friend, we did a wheel spinning mega draw to disccover our teams, he landed Newcastle United and i got Bordeaux. My goal with them is to win Ligue 2 first season then solidify the clubs position in Ligue 1. I done this last year where i started out at Auxerre in our online save before moving onto Lille, this year my eye is firmly on Marseille & Issak Toure.

Will definitely be checking in here throughout FM23.

Thanks for your words, Bordeaux is definitely another good shout this season, same for St Etienne, where the challenge could even more important, especially because only 2 spots are granted for promotion

Hopefully Touré could become a good player, I did not go that far in the save in order not to spoil myself ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well after one season,

These are the firsts observations

First of all PSG is definitely in another galaxy, Mbappé scoring like 50 goals in the League

The struggle will be real this year to clinch the title

Regarding Marseille, if you start with transfers disabled like I do, there is something a bit annoying, you will be given more than 20M€ to spend in the winter, which is good to strengthen the team BUT, despite getting champions league football this season, I'm getting almost no money to spend for the summer, which is annoying

Will post a proper recap  when possible, but bear in mind this if you start a save

There are good freebies available in S1 so, I will recommend this area to strengthen the team on a budget

On the other hand, I would not recommend signing Bailly on a permanent deal (buyout triggered automatically after 19 leagues appearances) as he we will be earning around 500K€/month, which is completely absurd

SEASON 1

LIGUE 1

Well, as I mentionned in my post above, "the farmers league" is a complicated one, when you have to face PSG billions and stars

As a result, and as expected, I could not even compete with them for the domestic title

Mbappé scoring roughly half of the goals for his team (53 league goals), might have helped them a little bit to reach these numbers ;)

image.thumb.png.466bd2989bae87fb7a8070f6a6e75610.png

OGCNice had been a real pain for me this year, they beat me home and away, still manage to lose only one game against PSG this year, but definitely, there was nothing I could do

COUPE DE FRANCE

Long story short, unlucky to draw Monaco away for my first game, lost on penalties

See you next year !

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Obviously, this is not our competition at the moment, it's most of all important money wise for a club like Marseille

But surprisingly, we did better than expected

image.png.1ca9b072b1004d0a52ed8259ac2764fd.png

I reckon, starting in the 4th bracket, we've been extremely lucky with the draw, no "big boys" actually

The really good surprise had been to beat Juventus, it was a disappointment to lose against Porto after our brilliant win at home 

Hopefully, we'll do better next year

TRANSFERS

image.thumb.png.fd3f1174eb8b34fa1ad7395f67efb016.png

No big surprises here, nor big moves, given 23M€ to spend for the winter window, secured almost all these moves during the World Cup

VALERI: Really good attacking left wing back on a budget, as I can afford Tavares next year and I don't have any back up in my team atm, it was an absolute priority for me, 23 y/o as well, important for the club vision as well

FARIAS: Really promising Argentinian AMC, good addition for the team as backup right now, but definitely an important player for the future, can't recommend him more

GOMEZ: Once again, an Argentinian talent, the left footed CB is here to replace BAILLY in my back 3 , I don't want to trigger his automatic buyout clause (19 league games) and giving him nearly 500K€/month is absolutely not considered

BORSET: Found by my scouts at the end of the transfer window, young Norwegian CB on budget, to hopefully develop into a good player, will remain on loan till next season

HARIT: his move will become permanent next season, his automatic buyout clause (5M€ after 15 league games has been triggered), btw top performer for me from the AMC spot, scoring 17 goals and also really interesting on set pieces

On the other hand, for the outs, I tried to shift as much deadwood as I could, quite happy to get this money from Gueye, who was barely playing for me, same for Kolasinac who was running out of contract

I would have liked to strengthen more positions but, this money, in the current economic state of the game, is not so much considering the asking price for average players

I've been lucky enough to snap a few interesting freebies for the upcoming season, and this is an area I will strongly recommend to focus on, as your board won't giving you money to spend despite Champions League, think smart before you make a move

TOP PERFORMERS

LUIS SUAREZ: Played him a lot after Alexis injury, this guy is just too good (I will review it next winter), banging for fun as an advanced forward or complete forward, I wish he would have done half of this IRL

AMINE HARIT: AS mentionned above, impact player, good in scoring goals and assist, 5M€ is a great deal (home grown btw)

CLAUSS: This WB position is perfectly adapted to his quality, excellent crossing abilities, assisting for fun, 14 in the league

Next season, we'll try to do better obviously, and most of all for the domestics competition, I don't want to go through the qualifying fixtures to reach Champions League football

Edited by nico_france

SEASON 2

LIGUE 1

That was better this year, but PSG i still flying high in the league, Glatier left the club to manage France, and Lucien Favre is now in charge, Mbappé still banging more than 50 goals in the League :lol:

The good thing  for us is that we now reach Champions League football directly

Hopefully next year we'll be closer in order to struggle against PSG

Still a disappointing Lyon, i kind of like it ;)

414660962_S2Classement.thumb.png.eabcaf045a67f68b546c1b18d4adf9ce.png

COUPE DE FRANCE

This is the good surprise this season !

First trophy on our shelves under my management !

And against our more competitive rival !

2000255834_coupedefrance1.png.4ed2219f14711022c0965c380802b6e9.png

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

That was a tough group for us with Inter and Chelsea, but i'm really happy with the results

Some of my new signings had a really good impact on those games, especially against Inter, will detailed it just below ;)

1367468687_CLS2.png.977762a079c85e1455ef9903d5cd36e4.png

Liverpool was far too good for me this season, we're still learning at this level, i'm building a squad for the future atm

TRANSFERS

As stated in my previous post, the biggest downside with Marseille this year, is that your board won't give you money to spend, even if you have good results

So you rally need to play smart on the market

1245123238_transfersS2.thumb.png.ae6c421ced02e8a29e7e9735ce6678f9.png

HARIT: Seen in my previous post, best 5M€ spend for this player, must keep

BARAK: What a deal for this guy ! He's total class as an AMC, he qualified me in CL against Inter on his own, as a result, because of his age and the lack of money, when...Inter came in in January, those 58M€ were too good to refuse for a feebie, i recommend to have a look to this player, real quality

NDOUR: Top prospect from the wonderkid factory of Benfica, a must buy for any side, as the lad should be developping in a really important player,

GAGLIARDINI: Another good freebie for my CM spot, will be perfect for my rotation, not asking for big wages

TRUFFERT:Transferlisted by Rennes, the young left FB will provide depth for this position, Tavares is now back to Arsenal and i can't loan him anymore

THIAW: Great find here for the CB spot, he has everything to shine for my sweeper spot, i hardly recommend him

ESCALES: Freebie GK, raised in the club, only brought in for Champions League registration, not good otherwise

FABIANSKI: Brought in as an emergency signing, Pau Lopez was injured

SEIMEN: May be the better GK in the game, Loan with a 22M€ buyout clause that i can't afford at the end of the season

LUNIN: Opportunity signing for a great GK at a very convenient price, must sign at these conditions

FOFANA: Great box to box and superb opportunity for a player City bought one year ago for 40M€, already knows the league, good addition to the team

AMPADU: Nice addition to the team for that money, will strengthen my CB spots as a cover

Already arranged an exciting move for the next summer window, you'll see ;)

Reagrding  the outs, Luis Henrique departure is set at the beggining of the game

Shift Rongier out for good money, Amavi and Dieng are not good for my team

Would not have sold Pau Lopez, but when the opportunity of signing Lunin was there, it was mandatory to sell him

Already talked about Barak, after only 6 months and really good performances, 58M€ in my financial situation for a 29 y/o player are just impossible to refuse

Payet was still good as a super sub during the first season, but he's declining way too much physically

Overall feeling is that i could strenghten the team in a lot of areas with better players, i'm more confortable to play each competition now

But i need to find better options in the short term

TOP PERFORMERS

MILIK: Thanks God, Juventus did not trigger his ridiculous (8M€) buyout clause, i renewed his expiring contract and give him the keys upfront, lethal

FACUNDO FARIAS: Brought in last winter, he's now a starter for me, goals and assists for fun

THIAW: Wonderful sweeper, nice pairing with Mbemba

Next season, we will try to chase PSG for the title, on Champions League as usual, we'll do our best and quite curious to see this new CL formula !

Edited by nico_france

19 minutes ago, nico_france said:

SEASON 2

LIGUE 1

That was better this year, but PSG i still flying high in the league, Glatier left the club to manage France, and Lucien Favre is now in charge, Mbappé still banging more than 50 goals in the League :lol:

The good thing  for us is that we now reach Champions League football directly

Hopefully next year we'll be closer in order to struggle against PSG

Still a disappointing Lyon, i kind of like it ;)

414660962_S2Classement.thumb.png.eabcaf045a67f68b546c1b18d4adf9ce.png

COUPE DE FRANCE

This is the good surprise this season !

First trophy on our shelves under my management !

And against our more competitive rival !

2000255834_coupedefrance1.png.4ed2219f14711022c0965c380802b6e9.png

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

That was a tough group for us with Inter and Chelsea, but i'm really happy with the results

Some of my new signings had a really good impact on those games, especially against Inter, will detailed it just below ;)

1367468687_CLS2.png.977762a079c85e1455ef9903d5cd36e4.png

Liverpool was far too good for me this season, we're still learning at this level, i'm building a squad for the future atm

TRANSFERS

As stated in my previous post, the biggest downside with Marseille this year, is that your board won't give you money to spend, even if you have good results

So you rally need to play smart on the market

1245123238_transfersS2.thumb.png.ae6c421ced02e8a29e7e9735ce6678f9.png

HARIT: Seen in my previous post, best 5M€ spend for this player, must keep

BARAK: What a deal for this guy ! He's total class as an AMC, he qualified me in CL against Inter on his own, as a result, because of his age and the lack of money, when...Inter came in in January, those 58M€ were too good to refuse for a feebie, i recommend to have a look to this player, real quality

NDOUR: Top prospect from the wonderkid factory of Benfica, a must buy for any side, as the lad should be developping in a really important player,

GAGLIARDINI: Another good freebie for my CM spot, will be perfect for my rotation, not asking for big wages

TRUFFERT:Transferlisted by Rennes, the young left FB will provide depth for this position, Tavares is now back to Arsenal and i can't loan him anymore

THIAW: Great find here for the CB spot, he has everything to shine for my sweeper spot, i hardly recommend him

ESCALES: Freebie GK, raised in the club, only brought in for Champions League registration, not good otherwise

FABIANSKI: Brought in as an emergency signing, Pau Lopez was injured

SEIMEN: May be the better GK in the game, Loan with a 22M€ buyout clause that i can't afford at the end of the season

LUNIN: Opportunity signing for a great GK at a very convenient price, must sign at these conditions

FOFANA: Great box to box and superb opportunity for a player City bought one year ago for 40M€, already knows the league, good addition to the team

AMPADU: Nice addition to the team for that money, will strengthen my CB spots as a cover

Already arranged an exciting move for the next summer window, you'll see ;)

Reagrding  the outs, Luis Henrique departure is set at the beggining of the game

Shift Rongier out for good money, Amavi and Dieng are not good for my team

Would not have sold Pau Lopez, but when the opportunity of signing Lunin was there, it was mandatory to sell him

Already talked about Barak, after only 6 months and really good performances, 58M€ in my financial situation for a 29 y/o player are just impossible to refuse

Payet was still good as a super sub during the first season, but he's declining way too much physically

Overall feeling is that i could strenghten the team in a lot of areas with better players, i'm more confortable to play each competition now

But i need to find better options in the short term

TOP PERFORMERS

MILIK: Thanks God, Juventus did not trigger his ridiculous (8M€) buyout clause, i renewed his expiring contract and give him the keys upfront, lethal

FACUNDO FARIAS: Brought in last winter, he's now a starter for me, goals and assists for fun

THIAW: Wonderful sweeper, nice pairing with Mbemba

Next season, we will try to chase PSG for the title, on Champions League as usual, we'll do our best and quite curious to see this new CL formula !

Is the exciting summer signing a young Brazilian wonderkid striker by any chance :D

Il y a 1 heure, Ronaldo Beckham a dit :

Is the exciting summer signing a young Brazilian wonderkid striker by any chance :D

When you see 2024 coming, he is the only one you can have in mind actually :lol:

• 6 months later...

It's official: Igor Tudor will no longer be coach of Olympique de Marseille next season.
The project will be in new hands.
Discussions are open.

Edited by Batigoal__

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well we're gonna switch to a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1

I'm a big 4-4-2 fan so I will try to work something good for FM24

This year's set up was really fun actually but now, back to basics ;)