[FM23] Athletic Club (Bilbao) - Aupa Athletic!

bowieinspace

Just now, bowieinspace said:

I think the biggest surprise for me was the lack of any strong prospects within the youth ranks - usually you expect 1-2 who look decent but I really had nothing from within the under 19s or B/C teams who looked likely to reach first team level (maybe just bad luck on my save though). 

That kinda links in to the second question - I guess not a hidden gem but I've been so impressed with Nico Williams on this addition - such a good player in this years edition. 

Yes in the last 10 FM's there has always been a few youngster that you could promote to the first team squad after a season or two.

Watching irl Nico looks like such a solid players.

I really like the away shirt this year. It's sexy!

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Branst23 said:

Yes in the last 10 FM's there has always been a few youngster that you could promote to the first team squad after a season or two.

Watching irl Nico looks like such a solid players.

I really like the away shirt this year. It's sexy!

Agreed the away shirt is beautiful this year

1 minute ago, dothestrand said:

Wow, that first Winter transfer window is interesting. I'm rebuilding my squad earlier than expected!

I'm glad you're enjoying the first window cause if your save is anything like mine, you won't make any more transfers for a few seasons haha

1 hour ago, Branst23 said:

I suppose its that time of year to spend an evening reading my favourite thread! 

Couple of questions:

What surprises you most about the team on FM?

Who's your hidden gem within the squad?

Aupa! 

a) Not a surprise but that each year becomes a harder challenge. You've got to do a lot of rebuilding really quickly!

b) Lander Arenal (RB) is pretty decent in my save. He'll be my backup RB by the end of the first season. Luis Bilbao is a decent AML - potentially as good as Morcillo or Berenguer imo, so could cover for Muniain within a couple of seasons. Ibon Sanchez plays the same position and has as much promise. Hopefully one of more of the CM players in the current u19s comes good.

a) Not a surprise but that each year becomes a harder challenge. You've got to do a lot of rebuilding really quickly!

b) Lander Arenal (RB) is pretty decent in my save. He'll be my backup RB by the end of the first season. Luis Bilbao is a decent AML - potentially as good as Morcillo or Berenguer imo, so could cover for Muniain within a couple of seasons. Ibon Sanchez plays the same position and has as much promise. Hopefully one of more of the CM players in the current u19s comes good.

Yes it's definitely getting harder. Miss the days are Aduriz leading the line and keeping Laporte!

Even Munian and Inaki are aging! It feels like children have left the nest!

2 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Yeah in fairness Luis Bilbao and Malcom Ares both actually ended up being potential back up options for me so it wasn't a complete write off in terms of the young options at game start...neither would have been more than back up though, probably about Morcillo levels. My Lander Arenal is going to be playing in the 3rd/4th tier for sure. I think Alboniga-Menor ended up being the most promising option but again back up at best. I've had some decent intakes now though so all are surplus.

4 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the first window cause if your save is anything like mine, you won't make any more transfers for a few seasons haha

So far I've shifted on Balenziaga, Zarraga, Garcia, De Marcos, Lekue, Martinez, Garcia, Morcillo, Guruzta, Vesga and Yuri. Most got offers, I didn't try to purposely sell them.

Moncayola, Munoz, Alvarez (on loan, 5m optional fee), Guerrero, Odriozola, Butinza and Dani Rodriguez in to replace them.

Mostly squad players gone, or big earners leaving whilst we can still get fees. First XI is still strong but less depth.

Just now, Branst23 said:

Yes it's definitely getting harder. Miss the days are Aduriz leading the line and keeping Laporte!

Even Munian and Inaki are aging! It feels like children have left the nest!

Haha totally does that's a great way to describe it. Muniain just broke the all time appearances record in my save, he will potentially hit 500 before he retires. Only seems like yesterday he was the next hot young prospect. 

So far I've shifted on Balenziaga, Zarraga, Garcia, De Marcos, Lekue, Martinez, Garcia, Morcillo, Guruzta, Vesga and Yuri. Most got offers, I didn't try to purposely sell them.

Moncayola, Munoz, Alvarez (on loan, 5m optional fee), Guerrero, Odriozola, Butinza and Dani Rodriguez in to replace them.

Mostly squad players gone, or big earners leaving whilst we can still get fees. First XI is still strong but less depth.

Getting those guys in for your first window is a nice squad turnover - interesting you decided to let Martinez go early...good fee? I was worried about depth if I took that path.

2 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

Haha totally does that's a great way to describe it. Muniain just broke the all time appearances record in my save, he will potentially hit 500 before he retires. Only seems like yesterday he was the next hot young prospect. 

Getting those guys in for your first window is a nice squad turnover - interesting you decided to let Martinez go early...good fee? I was worried about depth if I took that path.

Best part of 6m to one of the Saudi clubs just before he reached the pre-contract period. Bustinza came in for 150k for six months (with a one-year optional extension) and he's a solid backup before Nunez comes back. 

5 hours ago, Branst23 said:

I suppose its that time of year to spend an evening reading my favourite thread! 

Couple of questions:

What surprises you most about the team on FM?

Who's your hidden gem within the squad?

Aupa! 

Surprise for me was how quickly interest develops in some of your players. The first window I was fighting off bids for both Williams brothers, Dani Vivian, Munian, Martinez, and Vencedor. If you are not quick to renew some of their contracts and up their release clauses you can find yourself in a bit of a pickle trying to replace them with the Basque only policy. The only one I lost was Nico Williams and I've not been able to replace him.

Hidden gem would be Sancet for me. He's become first name on the team sheet now I'm in the 3rd season. I play him CM (a) in a 433 DM Wide and he's a goal and assist machine. There isn't much from the starting B, C, U19s that's threatened my first team. Nico Serrano the best of them so far.

Another surprise is how your intakes always favour certain positions. Maybe that happens in other games, or maybe it's down to the preferences of the HOYD/Asst Mgr. But I always get a surplus of wingers, particularly AMLs. I try to retain anyone with moderately decent positioning as a LB. I get a decent number of AMCs come through too, despite never playing that formation, so they get retrained to MCs. The good thing about Athletic Club is that you need to encourage versatility amongst your young players as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

Another surprise is how your intakes always favour certain positions. Maybe that happens in other games, or maybe it's down to the preferences of the HOYD/Asst Mgr. But I always get a surplus of wingers, particularly AMLs. I try to retain anyone with moderately decent positioning as a LB. I get a decent number of AMCs come through too, despite never playing that formation, so they get retrained to MCs. The good thing about Athletic Club is that you need to encourage versatility amongst your young players as much as possible. 

Yeah always seems to be loads of wingers…especially ones with loads of pace and largely garbage in every other area. 

I would say this time around though, after a few seasons it’s nice to have talent coming through in that area knowing Muniain and Inaki Williams are getting older. I have been keeping an eye out for one I can retrain to lb or rb but no good candidates yet!!

I really enjoyed reading about the transfer dealings on the first page of the thread.

Considering the small scope of transfer targets, do any of you find yourselves using aggressive recruitment tactics for potential targets? When I managed Athletic Club a few years ago my main transfer targets played for Real Sociedad, obviously, so I often found myself trying to unsettle them through the media, by asking my players to comment, by attending their games etc :D  Often the players will be quite reluctant to join a competitor though, but prolonged flirting in the media tends to slowly sway them

Question, will hiring a Head of Youth Development who is Italian with no knowledge of Spain be a good idea? He has 20s for Working with Youngsters & Judging Potential, with 19s for Judging ability and Determination. Also has my preferred formation. Just concerned nationality and knowledge could cause a problem?

2 hours ago, Dereka said:

I really enjoyed reading about the transfer dealings on the first page of the thread.

Considering the small scope of transfer targets, do any of you find yourselves using aggressive recruitment tactics for potential targets? When I managed Athletic Club a few years ago my main transfer targets played for Real Sociedad, obviously, so I often found myself trying to unsettle them through the media, by asking my players to comment, by attending their games etc :D  Often the players will be quite reluctant to join a competitor though, but prolonged flirting in the media tends to slowly sway them

Real Sociedad players often either a) have no interest in joining you at all so you can't even negotiate, b) have to be paid-off big time or (if they're a young player) be bribed with promises you probably won't deliver on re: game time, etc. You just hope they don't complain much! Or c) are out of favour/listed and are therefore much easier to sign.

Players from other Basque clubs are generally more gettable because of reputation difference and money. Osasuna players may have a dislike of Athletic Bilbao, but Alaves and Eibar players are seldom an issue.

Edited by dothestrand

4 hours ago, jippo45 said:

Question, will hiring a Head of Youth Development who is Italian with no knowledge of Spain be a good idea? He has 20s for Working with Youngsters & Judging Potential, with 19s for Judging ability and Determination. Also has my preferred formation. Just concerned nationality and knowledge could cause a problem?

I’ve generally never found this an issue to be honest, and they develop the language etc quickly anyway. Don’t forgot to check his overall personality as well, really important for HOYD

2024/25 Season Update

La Liga - 2nd place, 88 points (Real Madrid winners)
Copa Del Rey - Lost in QF to Sevilla
Supercopa - Lost in final to Real Madrid
Champions League - Lost in quarter finals to Chelsea

Another solid year without winning anything, constantly falling short of Real Madrid! Overall though this year we saw lots of really positive youth development and the start of a transition of some of these players into the first team. I enjoyed the new Champions League format and had some great performances in the group stage, going through in the top 8. We then beat Napoli in the round of 16 before progressing to play Chelsea in the quarters. A very even game unfortunately saw us go out 3-1 on aggregate, a scoreline which flattered them somewhat but they took their chances and we didn't! We got done by a half time team talk turnaround in the Copa Del Rey unfortunately, so another opportunity missed leaving us with a very similar season to the last couple!

Karrikaburu was the standout player, scoring loads of goals and forcing Inaki Williams out of the first 11! Muniain had a long term injury so has seen some decline, this has left Inaki deployed on the left wing a bit more.

Transfers

We have signed a player! A budget of 26 million allowed us to bring in one of our targets - sadly Guillamon and others remain out of reach, but we have splashed our budget on an 18 year old from Sociedad's academy called Mikel Gallego (screen below). He will come in to central midfield this year to back up Aimar, but I have high hopes for him - this means Julen Jon Guerrero who has not developed very well will go on loan somewhere. With a couple other youngsters coming through I was also able to sell Berenguer for 10million to Aston Villa.

Youth Intake

A really strong intake this year has left me with an academy flooded with potential first team talent, many will be representing the B team in the Segunda this year, while the 16 and under players will stay with the U19s. 

Looking Ahead

GK - Simon, Agirrezabala, Padilla (Ayeza to go on loan)
RB - Gorosabel, Capa (Capa likely in his final year)
LB - Javi Lopez, Munoz
CB - Yeray, Vivian, Nunez, Nolaskoain
DM - Vencedor, Peio Arregi
CM - Oroz, Sancet, Moncayola, Mikel Gallego
RW - Nico Williams, Serrano
LW - Muniain, Alain Garai/Andoni Etxabe
CF - Karikkaburu, Inaki Williams

My plan for screen shotting newgens this year is to show them off when they are making their break into the first team squad - this should make it a bit more exciting than pics after the youth intake, as we'll start to see them a touch closer to their potential - so welcome Mikel Gallego (signed this summer from Sociedad for 26million), Peio Arregi, Alain Garai and Andoni Etxabe!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

I’ve generally never found this an issue to be honest, and they develop the language etc quickly anyway. Don’t forgot to check his overall personality as well, really important for HOYD

Good stuff, his personality is 'Determined'. Roberto Samaden is his name, looks to start as Inter's HOYD but was available on a free at the same time my HOYD contract expired

Season 22-23: Exceeding Expectations

Our first season (as it was for others) was a successful one, far ahead of the club's vision. We finished 3rd - 7 points behind Real Madrid and 2 points behind Barcelona (who overhauled us on the last day when they defeated us at the Nou Camp). After around 30 games, we were pretty much even, but we had an inconsistent run-in, which was fair enough given that the squad is lacking depth. We did pretty well in the cups, reaching the later stages, losing to Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

image.png.74583691da2960a5e190dd6319e2a66f.png

As previously mentioned, the squad had a huge overhaul, particularly in the January window. We moved on some of the older, higher-paid guys before their contracts expired, as well as some of the fringe players who were never likely to be first choices. Getting fees in and those salaries gone meant we could invest in younger talent to refresh the squad. Coming in were some of the usual suspects (Moncayola, Munoz) but one especially welcome addition was Dani Rodriguez from Barcelona. I had to offer him a lot of assurances, but he's settled into the first team squad already and played some of the run-in in the AMR position. 

image.thumb.png.6879238e4caee76845f730b00b940e00.png

We had a solid youth intake. A good GK, and some attacking midfielders and forwards who should be first teamers in a few seasons. I'm going to try to avoid signing regens from the other Basque clubs, but if there are Basques elsewhere, I've fewer qualms! Hopefully my affiliate clubs have some regens - there are often some gems there. 

In terms of youth players who started the game, Lander Arenal (RB) looks good and could be the backup for Odriozola next season if we move Capa on. Asier Santolaya, Peio Canales and Gaizka Alboniga-Menor look really handy in CM and got a few games in the run-in. Luis Bilbao, Ibon Sanchez and Aimar Vicandi look really promising in the AML and AMR positions. So, that's 6-7 guys who could feature in the future, as well as the annual intakes.

In terms of real transfer business this Summer, Aimar Oroz is the main target as we could hopefully move Berenguer on if that happens. I'm hoping that Alvaro Fernandez becomes available but I've got an option on Iker Alvarez. Not that I'm desperate for a GK but as Simon might be a target, it's best to cover that position. Returning loan players will help - Nunez in particular at CB. I'll see whether to pull the trigger on Herrera but want him on far less money so let's see what PSG does.

Another job is to really overhaul the backroom staff - usually I wait for contracts to expire before really getting to work on this.

Next season, CL qualification would be awesome, but will still need some work.

Edited by dothestrand

10 hours ago, jippo45 said:

Good stuff, his personality is 'Determined'. Roberto Samaden is his name, looks to start as Inter's HOYD but was available on a free at the same time my HOYD contract expired

Yeah nice determined is ok. Personally I prefer something that has a defined professionalism level, eg professional, model pro, resolute etc. if you can find a perfectionist or model citizen type then even better. 

Oh Lord, the Summer 2023 transfer window slams shut. Next day, PSG try to low-ball me for Inaki Williams, but I talk them up to 9m (his value was around 6m). His wages are killing us and he certainly isn't worth the best part of 200k per week, particularly when I think he's starting to decline. Now we're relying on a combo of Nico Williams, Oroz, Muniain, Serrano, Dani Rodriguez and Aimar Vicandi (who's developing nicely but coming into the first team squad a season sooner than expected) to cover the three attacking positions until January (but realistically there's no-one to sign anyway!)

2024/2025 Season Review

League - 3rd

Copa Del Rey - Beaten by Real Madrid (again) in the quarters

Supercopa - Winners on pens! First silverware :cool:

Champions League - Lost to Spurs in the last 16. I had lost 1-0 at home and was winning 2-1 away. Thinking I'd go through on away goals I shut up shop only to find out that had been abolished and is no longer a rule anymore :seagull:! I then went on to lose in an eventful extra time losing the tie 5-3 on agg.

20221107110543_1.thumb.jpg.e8c11fd5bebfc59516b9fbda89b24a39.jpg

In other news my B team won the Primera Federación Grupo I and will now compete in the Segunda, whilst my under 19's also won their league. Promising signs :cool:

The season was a real breakthrough season for a couple of my first youth intake. Striker Rubén Aizpurua has fast established himself as my first choice striker coming into the new season, whilst left Gaizka Alberdi is vying with Munoz for first choice left back. Both featured in the next gen list also. Some screenshots of their attributes below;

20221109131223_1.thumb.jpg.919b4c7192b9a1f3c941ea136ef8b7d5.jpg

20221109132055_1.thumb.jpg.70d358cc43b1a9f756b345204af65a48.jpg

20221106204415_1.thumb.jpg.2070891598464a71c93a5ecd37d4adb8.jpg

New Season transfers

The only first team transfer in this summer has been Andoni Gorosabel for £5m who found himself transfer listed at Real Sociedad which gives nice competition at RB with Álvaro Odriozola. The transfer budget was at £25m this season which unfortunately isn't big enough to bring in any big name Basque player. Therefore the squad is largely the same as the previous season. Yuri retired but he was backup anyway falling behind Alberdi and Munoz. Apart from loans the only other person of note out was Zarraga for around £1m. I did also lose out on a promising young CB from my first intake who had 12 months to run on his contract. West Ham came in with a bid which I rejected making the player unhappy he then decided to throw a paddy and refused to sign a new deal. Therefore I've cashed in and sold him to West Ham with a 25% sell on. I was a little disappointed in how this turned out given the lack of CBs in my team and in general.

Similar to this I now have a problem with Munian, whose captaincy I've taken away and given to Dani Vivian (whose leadership & determination attributes are now higher). He has also thrown a paddy and now apparently won't sign a new deal with only 12 months left. I'm hoping he'll change his tune over the season but who knows :confused:.

Given I have no realistic chance of signing any established players I've brought in 9(!) youngsters from elsewhere paying their sub-£1m release clauses. We'll see if any of these turn out well and if so I'll share a screenshot when they are breaking into the team.

39 minutes ago, jippo45 said:

As a follow up to the last post I am having some success finding good youngsters at the club 'Pamplona'. I've picked up 4 youngsters so far. Worth scouting definitely. 

Pamplona is just Osasuna, who are one of your biggest rivals! Serrano and Sancet started in their youth teams and it caused quite a stir when they moved!

2 hours ago, jippo45 said:

Sorry for the triple post, but this just occurred in game from mentoring and I've never seen it before. Sancet has developed the trait 'play for as long as possible'. Is this new?

20221109145132_1.jpg

I can’t remember when they put this in the game but it’s fairly new, basically means he will happily drop down the levels as he declines to keep playing rather than retire when he’s no longer cutting it at the top level.

And yeah as @dothestrandsays Pamplona is Osasuna, they have an excellent youth system and is where you’ll find a decent number of talented youth players. Usually as the club rep is a bit lower than Athletic you can poach them more easily than you can from Sociedad.

3 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Pamplona is just Osasuna, who are one of your biggest rivals! Serrano and Sancet started in their youth teams and it caused quite a stir when they moved!

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

I can’t remember when they put this in the game but it’s fairly new, basically means he will happily drop down the levels as he declines to keep playing rather than retire when he’s no longer cutting it at the top level.

And yeah as @dothestrandsays Pamplona is Osasuna, they have an excellent youth system and is where you’ll find a decent number of talented youth players. Usually as the club rep is a bit lower than Athletic you can poach them more easily than you can from Sociedad.

No they are not. This is the club I mean, they have no affiliation with Osasuna. No affiliated clubs at all in fact and their own under 19's side.

20221109185037_1.thumb.jpg.c32b4eb4b3358f20f9ac877185a9f0ac.jpg

I'm really enjoying hearing how other people's saves are going.  I am just starting my save and I have been trying to increase the reality levels this year.  I have been trying to ignore other people's purchases and only exploring those that appear as recommendations through my staff.  I'm also not using the player search function.  So during the first transfer window, I have only made one purchase, Julen Jon Guerrero for the fairly hefty price price of £12 million.  I tried to buy Jon Karrikaburu but whilst in negotiations with the agent his price leapt from £11 million to £23 million so he was unaffordable.  I have got rid of a few back-up players and most noticeably I cancelled the Herrera loan due to his wages.

Like many others, we have been going with a 4-3-3

image.png.cfdeba272d9bbb1d8d7fd1e72e0ce9bb.png

After six games, we are unbeaten with the highlight being a 4-1 victory away at the Camp Nou.  We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

1 hour ago, jippo45 said:

No they are not. This is the club I mean, they have no affiliation with Osasuna. No affiliated clubs at all in fact and their own under 19's side.

Ah, I've got a couple of their u19s on my shortlist but nobody I'm likely to purchase just yet.

1 hour ago, jippo45 said:

I found a couple of players from this club a few years ago.  I'll keep an eye on them for further gems.  Atletico Pamplona are Osasuna under another name and also often a good source of players.

On 08/11/2022 at 14:55, dothestrand said:

Oh Lord, the Summer 2023 transfer window slams shut. Next day, PSG try to low-ball me for Inaki Williams, but I talk them up to 9m (his value was around 6m). His wages are killing us and he certainly isn't worth the best part of 200k per week, particularly when I think he's starting to decline. Now we're relying on a combo of Nico Williams, Oroz, Muniain, Serrano, Dani Rodriguez and Aimar Vicandi (who's developing nicely but coming into the first team squad a season sooner than expected) to cover the three attacking positions until January (but realistically there's no-one to sign anyway!)

That seems very cheap.  Very early days but he has been exceptional upfront.  His wages are an issue which I haven't worked out what to do with yet.  He is valued at £56 million and I have PSG, Liverpool and Man City circling.  I would be very tempted at that price if they bid.  I guess I would then have to go all-in on Karrikaburu.

12 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

That seems very cheap.  Very early days but he has been exceptional upfront.  His wages are an issue which I haven't worked out what to do with yet.  He is valued at £56 million and I have PSG, Liverpool and Man City circling.  I would be very tempted at that price if they bid.  I guess I would then have to go all-in on Karrikaburu.

Player values are often all over the place, but Williams was definitely on the low side. Yeray and Sancet have pretty low values too in my save. Losing Williams has been a blow but Nico's played up top. Aimar Vicandi has come into play AMR and is developing very nicely in the first squad. Gets a 10.0 every week in training and performs well.

2 hours ago, jippo45 said:

Ah true yeah a different Pamplona! I've not really paid much attention to this one in the past but will take a look going forwards :)

@bowieinspace They're way out ahead in my game too. Speaking of which.

Season 23-24: Consolidation.

After last season's third place, there were grounds for optimism at San Mames. But being ahead of the club's ambitions can sometimes be a double-edged sword. Maybe by exceeding expectations, you set them too high for when things get difficult. And we certainly had a bit of a pre-Christmas wobble that set doubts in. 

We started the season with hammering Gijon 7-0 at home with Nico Williams scoring a perfect hat trick! Then Atletico Madrid brought us straight back down to earth with a bump! We were performing well in the league, beating most of the sides we would expect to (both home and away) and only dropping points against the top 7-8 sides. The Champions League was a different issue though. Whilst we had trouble dispensing of Braga home and away, we took only 1 point from 12 against Milan and Leipzig, so we only finished third in the group - and the board and some players were upset. 

Post-Christmas went pretty much as pre-Christmas in the league with a steady accumulation of wins and draws and defeats against rivals. We looked good against Anderlecht in the first knockout stage of the Europa League and were beating Porto 3-1 after the home tie in the next round. 0-1 down, we get a penalty, which Nico misses, and we end up getting hammered 1-5! Domestic cups were not so great. We lost to Real Madrid in the Super Cup SF, then playing a weakened team against Eibar in the Spanish Cup fourth round backfired.

Overall though, third place will do nicely. The xG table, which I've never looked at before, had us 8th, which presumably means we overperformed!

In terms of performances, only Simon, Javi Lopez, Muniain and Vencedor averaged over 7, with a lot of players in the 6.8-6.9s. A lot of tepid wins where few players really excelled were the story of the season. 

Dani Rodriguez was in a funk for a lot of the season because I was playing him out of position in the AMR role, but he has developed really well across the season and is sharing that role with Aimar Vicandi. Nico often makes an unwilling CF and I'm losing some of his potential perhaps but he's our only real option there.

Now we're starting to see a lot of young players emerge after two good intakes and some purchases of regens from other teams (generally non-Basque - I pick those up from across Spain who have Basque nationality who seemingly turn up in random places!) Some are going to be fine players in a few years. Generally, very well stocked in AML/AMR positions, but some GK, CM, CF and the odd defender too.

Transfers were really just filler for the B squad, plus Herrera (couldn't get the wages down much) and Illaramendi - who was surprisingly willing to join but his legs have gone already! The stars you see are my 'nicknaming' style for the guys with high potential so I can just see them straight off. I also sold Guerrero as he was never developing and was endlessly targeted by other clubs. I can't see him improving much, but if he becomes a better player at Old Trafford, I'll try to go back for him.

image.png.0630134a79be1434dad46a7501ae4605.png

image.thumb.png.42279998266a4962de97a86e63225e74.png

Edited by dothestrand

Nice work @dothestrand! Quite funny seeing everyone following pretty similar paths in their updates - I think generally the squad has enough quality to finish top 4 consistently at the start but it’s hard to beat Real Madrid. They’ve made some lovely buys in my save too, Darwin Nunez and Scalvini stand out, alongside Declan Rice and others. 

super tight title race in my save…in Feb and we have 5 teams within 3 points of each other!

I'm struggling to compete with Real as well.  They were far too good in my first season winning with 97 points.  We managed to hold off Barcelona to take second place so overall no complaints.  We did well in the cup until we met Real in the semi-final where our run came to a rather abrupt end.

image.png.4630afee35bbb57a8f8540d00a9edcb9.png

I expect next season to be harder when we have Europe to compete in as well.  I would love to strengthen the squad but I have struggled to find and secure targets in the market.  In terms of transfers, Jon Julen Guerrero was the only purchase and we moved on a few of the back-up players.  The most noticeable being Dani Garcia who we sold in January after he agreed to join Ajax in the summer.  We also terminated the loan of Herrera purely because of the wage costs.  I hope to bring him back again in future but on better terms.

image.png.53d845e3963eb8ee47150bed42a1cf37.png

Rather than transfers we secured the key players on new contracts with longer terms and higher release clauses.  There were a couple of promising youngsters in our intake so we may have to wait for these players to develop before we make any significant improvements.  We moved through a few formations depending on availability of players but we generally favoured a 4-3-3

image.png.e12cf3973f493e88b8fb9b3b033ff350.png

The Williams brothers contributed 44 goals between them.  Berenguer was moved to left back when we sold Balenziaga and was a good offensive outlet on this flank.  Jon Morcillo has performed much better than his rating and never lets me down.  Iker Munian is his usual challenge floating between amazing and ineffectual with not much in between.  I got improved performances when I moved him into the centre of the pitch.     

2025/26 Season Review - We Beat Real Madrid!

We finally beat Real Madrid in a final, and we followed it up with some other success:

La Liga - 4th, 83 points (Barcelona champions on 93)
Copa Del Rey - Winners, beat Real Madrid in final 2-1
Champions League - Winners, beat Liverpool 4-1(!!!) in the final
Supercopa - Lost in SF to Real Madrid

Oh my goodness we only went and won 2 trophies! We firstly defeated Real Madrid 2-1 to win the Copa Del Rey with two goals from Karrikaburu - we then had the league and Champions League still to go. Following the Copa Del Rey we absolutely collapsed in the league, winning only 2 of our last 7 games against pretty mediocre opposition...it was a horrible run where we were comfortably winning the xG battle only to keep conceding goals from nowhere. It was a tough watch - a cup winning hangover perhaps? We did however manage to get ourselves up for the Champions League, where our run to the final saw us beat Juve, PSG, Arsenal, Sporting CP and then a fantastic final win over Liverpool!

Transfers

With just the additional of Mikel Gallego last season, we had our biggest budget by far coming in to the summer of 2026 (current time). We've decided to draw a line under this current squad somewhat with the Champions league win, so a bit of squad turnover is coming. Although we won trophies this season we were incredibly inconsistent at times so I am a touch frustrated with the group. We've started off with a 50million signing of Hugo Guillamon - he will play alongside Vivian at CB mostly. 

We have elected to let Muniain go (new challenge), Nolaskoain, Unai Nunez and Ander Capa. We're also letting Agirrezabala go (Julen, GK) as he was keen on a move to be a more important player. Replacing these guys will be young players. I'm tempted to now phase out Inaki Williams also, as well as Aihen Munoz.

Youth Intake

More wingers, although one of them can be a good RB!

Squad Planning

GK - Simon, Padilla, Ayeza
RB - Gorosabel, Chevalier
LB - Javi Lopez, Munoz (two youth prospects waiting in the wings if we sell Munoz)
CB - Vivian, Guillamon, Yeray, Mikel Goni
DM - Vencedor, Arregi
CM - Sancet, Aimar, Gallego, Moncayola
RW - Nico Williams, Serrano
LW - Inaki Williams, Ander Pascual
CF - Karrikaburu, Alain Garai

Welcome to the new first team promotions!

spacer.png

ZFN0104.png

g1HIsLd.png

Congrats bowieinspace ! Like you and others Real Madrid are too strong. They bought Son for like £97m in the second season and have Dayot Upamecano too but otherwise they are very similar to how they started but with a well developed Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde midfield trio plus Vinícius Júnior & Rodrygo on the wings. Barcelona are also ridiculous. They had a poor first season where I finished above them but since then they score an insane amount of goals and have won La Liga 3 times on the trot. Lewandowski is still a beast at 38! He scored 73 goals (53 in the league) in the 24/25 season. I can't wait for him to retire!

Can I ask are those newgen faces? How do you get those? They look really good

53 minutes ago, jippo45 said:

Congrats bowieinspace ! Like you and others Real Madrid are too strong. They bought Son for like £97m in the second season and have Dayot Upamecano too but otherwise they are very similar to how they started but with a well developed Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde midfield trio plus Vinícius Júnior & Rodrygo on the wings. Barcelona are also ridiculous. They had a poor first season where I finished above them but since then they score an insane amount of goals and have won La Liga 3 times on the trot. Lewandowski is still a beast at 38! He scored 73 goals (53 in the league) in the 24/25 season. I can't wait for him to retire!

Can I ask are those newgen faces? How do you get those? They look really good

Thanks!

Yeah here’s a video about the faces https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmdIkhfmY6w

2025/2026 Season

League - 3rd (84 points)

Copa Del Rey - Semi's lost to Real Madrid

Champions League - Knocked out last 16 v Barcelona

Supercopa - Lost Semi's to Barcelona

Same old same as I finish 3rd again and struggle to lay a finger on the big 2. In the cups I just cannot compete away from home against these 2. I am still tweaking and tweaking a tactic and way of playing away against the elites. Even if I could just kill the game and take a 0-0 away I'd be over the moon but I'm losing these games by 2+ goals everytime meaning there is just too much to do at home. League wise I right amongst it coming into Feb but injuries and suspensions to Vivian, Guillimon, and Martinez saw us play a number of games with makeshift centrebacks and a sub standard CB bloke called Jeremy Blasco I bought in a panic during Janurary. We dropped cruical points during this period and even with a strong run in we weren't able to catch up the big 2.

The B side actually went and finished 6th in the Segunda which was a nice surprise and giving plenty of game time to my talented academy graduates and the collection of young newgens I brought in. I'm very happy about this as it gives me a great base to develop my youngsters in.

Transfers 

Jan 2026

As well as the aforementioned Blasco we brought in Beñat Turrientes for £10.25. He is a DM who starts at Real Sociedad but was sold to West Ham on my save first season. He is a squad player and I plan to train him up at CB to give me some more depth there although he is lacking in aerial ability. I have no newgens, bar maybe 1, coming through and even he is unlikely to threaten the first team anytime soon. I could tempt Zubeldia or Robin Le Normand from Sociedad according to their agents but my board are too tight to give me the transfer budget to do so.

I was able to get Munian to sign a new deal come the new year after he threw a paddy about losing his captaincy. I did have to promise to win a cup the following season though so hopefully we can bring some silverware back to add to the Supercopa win in the 2024/2025 season.

Summer 2026

Post season I let Martinez go when his contract expired as well as 34 year old RB Joseba Zaldua who had been one of the emergency centre backs previously. Centre back was now a major priority so I went crawling back to Yeray and Unai Lopez. Yeray wasn't interested and Brentford weren't keen to sell him back to me either. Lopez on the other, who I had sold to Mexico, was keen on a return so a deal was done for £11.5m (£8m more than I sold him for). I also brought in 2 18yr old newgen CBs my scouts found for a few hundred thousand each. Time will tell if they have any great potential but for now they are around segunda level.

Squad (newgens in italics)

GK - Simon, Agirrezabala, Romo

RB - Odriozola, Gorosabel

LB - Munoz, Alberdi

CB - Vivian, Guillamón, Lopez

DM - Venecedor, Turrientes

CM - Sancet, Moncayola,  Julen Jon Guerrero, Ander Bilbao

RW - Inaki Williams, Morcillo, Nico Serrano, Xabier Bengoetxea

LW - Munian, Aimar, Mikel Castelo

CF - Ruben Azipurua, Rahmani, Iñigo Serrano

The season was a real breakthrough for Ruben Azipurua becoming undisputed number 1 striker at the club, scoring 35 goals in all comps, getting a Spain call up, scoring for his country, and winning European Golden Boy in the process! :applause: I'm unsure on how to pronounce his name so he is now simply nicknamed Ruben on my game lol.

20221111172306_1.thumb.jpg.d142b1f1e3d902f57144c0b4d46021fe.jpg

20221110115855_1.thumb.jpg.13cc1750d14a418678560b0e12a0c15b.jpg

World Cup 2026

Won by the dutch this time around. England again losing in the final this time 2-0 with Teun Koopmeiners (now at Arsenal) scoring both.

In other world news West Ham have been bought out by a Chinese Tycoon and have spent the summer bidding for a bunch of my players and getting nowhere near an acceptable bid in for any of them. :herman:

Youth

Another 'excellent' intake but at the minute only 1 elite talent. I give you Xabier Gabilondo (DC DM). No pressure but hopefully the solution to my CB problems going forward :cool:

20221113170854_1.thumb.jpg.74494a40808d966b94e84359f19574fa.jpg

On 08/11/2022 at 14:55, dothestrand said:

Crikey. I am now in a similar position.  Summer 2023 and various teams are after Inaki.  No proper offers until the day after the Spanish transfer window closes and Man City have tabled a £79 million offer.  It seems like an amazing price for a 29 year old who is currently earning considerably more than twice as much as any other player.  The problem is he scored 25 goals last season and has scored 3 in 2 games so far this season.  I do not have Karrikaburu and I'm not sure I can rely on a 37 year old Garcia or Villalibre.   

36 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

Congratulations.  It is always good to see Athletic win trophies.  It seems harder this year but it will make it more rewarding when it happens.

I'd say it's been tougher this year for sure - unsure if that's changes to the game or simply Real being in a good place on the game, or maybe both? Historically within the first 4-5 seasons the big teams would all have a bad year and you'd win a title with points in the late 80s, at least in my save that's not been possible. 

My ruthless squad turnover this summer has stepped up a notch!

Inaki Williams, gone.
Nico Serrano, gone.

Ander Barrenetxea - in!

I elected to go hard - I've been considering Barrenetxea for a while, but decided to let Inaki go and bring him in instead for a few reasons:
1) Barrenetxea has a perfectionist personality and I need mentors
2) He's 24 and his wage is a fair bit lower
3) He can play right back! My young right back Chevalier is pretty weak for the top level, so if Gorosabel gets a bad injury I can utilise Barrenetxea as an attacking wing back. 

Nico Serrano may surprise a few - unfortunately he's not developed that well for me (as a rough guide he looks set to max out at 2.5 or 3*). I have a good young player coming through in Andoni Etxabe, and Serrano has been pretty 'meh' when he's played, so I elected to take an offer of 21million for Serrano.

Aihen Munoz is hanging on in there, I think I'll keep him and reassess the left back scenario in January or next summer.

17 hours ago, MattyC78 said:

Crikey. I am now in a similar position.  Summer 2023 and various teams are after Inaki.  No proper offers until the day after the Spanish transfer window closes and Man City have tabled a £79 million offer.  It seems like an amazing price for a 29 year old who is currently earning considerably more than twice as much as any other player.  The problem is he scored 25 goals last season and has scored 3 in 2 games so far this season.  I do not have Karrikaburu and I'm not sure I can rely on a 37 year old Garcia or Villalibre.   

No idea what Inaki was so undervalued in my game. I did well to get 9m to be honest based on his value but I'd have expected somewhere around 40m for him really. Not that he's flourished at PSG tbh.