Why doesn't drawing fouls win (more?) match rating for players?

I've noticed that players who draw fouls (even winning penalties or drawing yellow/red cards from opponents) don't get rewarded in terms of their match rating. This seems wrong to me because a tricky inverted winger who gets an opponent full back sent off and wins a penalty has done exactly what you would think his job is, but can still finish the match on 6.4 because he didn't take the penalty and, bizarrely, a dribble ending in a foul doesn't even seem to count as a successful dribble.

Is there a reason SI has designed match ratings this way? Is there some exploit this is meant to balance out? Kind of frustrating, as it makes it harder to develop a style of player I really like.

This is a very good point!

In fairness to SI, I think, esp. as they're adding more and more data / analytics as football IRL has evolved that way, it takes time to include this in the player ratings in a way that is balanced. May well be they're working on this and other metrics.

8 hours ago, 2feet said:

There's also an issue with pre-assists.

The key pass forward that breaks the defensive line, releasing a player who then crosses for a forward who taps in.

That pre-assist doesnt get recognised.

It would count as a key pass no?

Or do you mean another new statistic of 'pre-assist'?

With regards to OP, I agree being fouled to win a penalty should count as an assist, as should having the shot that deflects off a defender for an own goal.

I think getting a better rating for getting someone sent off can be subjective depending on the foul. A tricky dribble leading to a foul, second yellow, yes. Going up for a header and getting smashed by an elbow, no.

1 hour ago, Grifty said:

It would count as a key pass no?

Or do you mean another new statistic of 'pre-assist'?

With regards to OP, I agree being fouled to win a penalty should count as an assist, as should having the shot that deflects off a defender for an own goal.

I think getting a better rating for getting someone sent off can be subjective depending on the foul. A tricky dribble leading to a foul, second yellow, yes. Going up for a header and getting smashed by an elbow, no.

A key pass is any final pass before a shot (usually one that doesn't lead to a goal). A pre-assist is the final pass to the player who makes the assist.

Edited by autohoratio

6 hours ago, autohoratio said:

A key pass is any final pass before a shot (usually one that doesn't lead to a goal). A pre-assist is the final pass to the player who makes the assist.

But is that what FM class as a key pass? Or SofaScore?

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2022 at 00:55, Grifty said:

But is that what FM class as a key pass? Or SofaScore?

A key pass in FM is one that leads to a shot, the second assist, isn’t in the game, but I remember a few requesting for it a while back. That along with numbers regarding progressive passing that we can filter, would be nice.  I would recommend raising this as a feature request if you are keen, I do tend to get annoyed too when a player who spots the pass doesn’t get rewarded via ratings for a  second assist.