Finishing attribute just does not increase despite focus on shooting for years...

I have this newgen, who I am trying to retrain to a striker and like my other players as well, I just can not improve the finishing attribute... Is that a bug? Has anyone had any success and if yes, can you share your methods with me? I am playing with Brighton in my 6th season and I have one of the best facilities and great coaches. My assistant manager is responsible for general training, while I am taking care of individual training.

image.thumb.png.ef11de5c10100d53402b521e1f7731d0.png

3 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Does the training schedules include "Finishing"? Your AM pick schedules according to his preferred tactical style (eg. Route-One for example)

This is my assistant manager's profile.

How can I check whether he is training finishing?

image.thumb.png.bc536b708c99231ab3a3aa16c0826f76.png

1 hour ago, goku4 said:

This is my assistant manager's profile.

How can I check whether he is training finishing?

image.thumb.png.bc536b708c99231ab3a3aa16c0826f76.png

Let's see what the Control Possession trains:

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.bad9b1cde373f99f1fccc03e061ac5a6.png

So, the only training schedule which train "Finishing" for Attacking Unit is "Attacking Patient" which give 60% focus.

Screenshot_2.png.5e130ad230b4b7725a1f05d33e63b1ac.png

====

A little light approach I would call. Also:

1. Do you play Control Possession football?
2. Do you train him in the position - role which play? For example AF.
3. Do you have a dedicated attacking coach for Technical? Image below:

Screenshot_3.png.389283ec1d2a3e2d94f158e1bc3ae24d.png

====

In general, his gap between CA - PA is not very far away to be reached (20 years old is close to reach his PA). "Finishing" attribute has

Spoiler

in weighting for ST position. Means that increasing from 12 to 13 is not an easy, especially if the player is already close to reach his PA; plus rest training schedules focus in other attributes as well. Physical eats A LOT CA points as well.

1 hour ago, goku4 said:

Is that a bug?

No.  There are no guarantees when it comes to player development - different players will develop in different ways and at different rates due to a whole host of different factors.  All we can do as head coaches is to provide the best environment we can.

Both training and game time at a relevant level are important for development - below the age of 18 training takes precedence, 18 and over game time takes precedence.  Player attributes are also important, especially Determination, Ambition and Professionalism.

In this particular case, clearly the player has bags of Determination, plays a lot of matches and is being trained at decent facilities by good coaches.  What’s less clear is how much Ambition and Professionalism he has - something to check in his coach report.  If he is lacking he might benefit from being placed into a Mentoring group with a senior player who may give him some positive influence.

Just remember: players develop at different rates, some will peak early, others will be late bloomers and everything else in between.  Some players may not even develop to their full potential no matter what we do.  Kind of like real life…  We just have to be patient and, if patience runs out, we move on.

15 hours ago, goku4 said:

My assistant manager is responsible for general training, while I am taking care of individual training.

Here is your problem.

If you really want to experience the benefits of attribute training you 100% have to take control of general training. I think when SI adjusted the way training worked back on FM19, they mentioned how in most attributes, once at a professional level, you can't exactly get so far by just doing indivdual training.

Take dribbling as an example.

You and I would most likely be able to improve our own dribbling skills by practicing every day dribbling through cones. But any pro footballer will probably already have mastered this. The only way for them to realistically improve their dribbling would be to actually practice against top quality defenders. This would be done by using general training dribbling drills (putting the attacking and defending unit against each other and focusing on the attackers) and by giving the player actual match experience in a role that requires dribbling.

Some attributes, such as strength, will be easier to train individually.. Just send them to do gym workouts after general training. But then again, for maximum improvements, they will be required to know how to use their strength in game situations against other high quality and high strength players. And this, you guessed it, will only be able to be done in general training, and real life matches where their role requires them to use their strength (Centreback, Targetman etc..)

Finishing probably lies somewhere in between dribbling and strength. You can get quite far indiviudally by aiming for the corners with power in an empty net, but to reach your maximum potential, you'll need to be practicing  reguarly in training against top quality goalkeepers, also with top quality defenders trying to put you off balance / block the shot. Then you'd need lots of finishing practice in real game situations, to improve confidence, consistency, game pressure etc.

Even if you do everything optimally, this won't mean that it will be guarenteed to work. Think about how many players in real life have one glaring weakness that will clearly take their game to the next level if improved, but one that never really improves throughout their career. It probably isn't due to a lack of coaching, more due to the player hitting their absolute maximum potential, or them not being professional/ambitious enough to take the next step.

If I were you, and my only priority was to improve this player's finishing. I would:

• Train and, more importantly, play him as a poacher
  • Find any individual focus that includes finishing (not sure if there are any, if not, leave it blank)
  • Schedule as many chance conversion sessions as possible, once those are maxed out, find any other sessions that focus on finishing and max them out. Match practice can also be useful as this is basically just a friendly game where the player will play as the role being trained.
  • Mentor him with a high professional / high ambition player
  • Keep him as happy as possible

This will almost certainly come at the expense of results, and happiness of other players. As well as ideal development of attacking unit players, and general development of your defenders / keepers. It's up to you to find the balance.

Edited by Jack722

• 1 month later...