Jump to content

Mentality for a progressive possession game


Recommended Posts

Most top level teams play a brand of total football nowadays with a focus of playing vertically and dominating the game. The likes of City and Chelsea focus more on possession of the ball and suffocating opponents that way while Liverpool are more well known for their off the ball pressing work, though they have made significant strides in the former in recent seasons. Even mid to high tier teams like Villa are looking to play in this way. Examples of teams who are learning and picking up this style of play include Arteta's Arsenal and Xavi's Barca.

I have been trying to replicate this type of football in FM, trying to buildup in a 235 or 325 shape and playing a fluid controlled possesion game. The sticking point at the moment appears to the mentality. There have been 2 schools of thought I have encountered so far. 1 is to use positive or even attacking mentality as this allows all outfield players to maintain a good amount of risk taking, fufilling my wish to play vertically. However, I find players can rush decisions or go gung-ho on these higher mentalities which I feel disrupts what I'm trying to do. (Of course this can be attribute related) On the other hand, using balanced mentality allows for the game to be played at a controlled pace, allowing us to retain the ball better and control the game. The reduced mentality allows for the use of aggresive roles without them going solo as I mentioned. The reduced intensity also reduces injury risk. The drawback is the defensive players can become too passive and hoof the ball at times.

What is everyone's experience of trying to play this brand of football and any suggestions for my selection of mentality?

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, KCHDD said:

I find players can rush decisions or go gung-ho on these higher mentalities which I feel disrupts what I'm trying to do. (Of course this can be attribute related) On the other hand, using balanced mentality allows for the game to be played at a controlled pace, allowing us to retain the ball better and control the game. The reduced mentality allows for the use of aggresive roles without them going solo as I mentioned. The reduced intensity also reduces injury risk. The drawback is the defensive players can become too passive and hoof the ball at times.

I've always played on positive for no specific reason but during games I tend to go up and down sometimes and when I go to Vattacking for example as you mentioned the team can start rushing their decision making etc so I try to reduce that risk by adding instructions such as "work ball into the box", reduce attacking width, ask players to shoot less even the striker, reduce passing directness etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found the team instructions and player instructions on a balanced mentality the best was to do this.

I leave the width, passing and temp all at default. Do not play out of defence, but do have my GK distributing to any of my back 3 or 4. I have dribble more on my BPD to ensure he progresses play if not under pressure.

That combined with no ball magnet roles (playmakers, target forwards) generally allows my teams to play a progressive game without taking undue risks while also maintaining the ability to play out from the back without the ball getting "stuck: on my back 4/5 players. 

Currently playing this way.

https://gyazo.com/86fa053354715904cccf0f8b2b587608

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the balanced approach (or at least it was on FM21, still early doors for me on FM22).

I like the baseline of balanced and then through roles and PIs tailoring it for certain things, make it more aggressive. And I've not had any extra hoofing from the backline because of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would make my decision on how I generally want my players to move around the pitch. If you are looking for direct movement and more players supporting the final third, then definitely go with positive or higher. 

if you just want a few players behave like that, then go with balanced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CARRERA said:

I would make my decision on how I generally want my players to move around the pitch. If you are looking for direct movement and more players supporting the final third, then definitely go with positive or higher. 

if you just want a few players behave like that, then go with balanced. 

I'm not sure you 100% need the mentality to be higher to create runs from deep - I've found it easier to create that through roles. The CM - Attack Role and the Mezzala role in general make those aggressive forward runs even on a cautious or balanced mentality, they'll just pick and choose what they do based on their individual mentality (I.E Willingness to take risks).

I still get good vertical runs from Gallagher and Chisholm in the below despite the balanced mentality.

 

image.png.4a275fc29c88d0a7d873d1caaaaadd9f.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, khodder said:

I'm not sure you 100% need the mentality to be higher to create runs from deep

I didnt say that :-) I was talking about the general behavior of all the players. Also neither istruction (including team mentality) is a do or dont, its always a do it more or less

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.