Field Dimensions: How to leverage this option?

Groundskeeper asks this every year. I'd like to take advantage of this option.

I typically run smaller poor clubs, favoring counter style, exploring my two fast wingers on a defensive 4-1-4-1.

Which option should I choose?

Any simple rules you can share?

Thank you.

image.png.2dea5ac2458c594cfcab6287fb2f97aa.png

Edited by phd_angel

Generally, I click 'Confirm' and continue after playing since FM 2014, but whenever I care too much about everything like attending every meeting and press conference, I have basically 2 rules. 

1-)  If I play direct football, select long and narrow.

2-) If I play passing football, select short and wide. 

I don't know if these affects the game really or if my perspective is correct, but that's how I decide. 

If it works via common sense, then you should pick the option that fits your style of play best.  Tight passing and pressing football would be better on a smaller pitch to strangle the opposition.  Direct football on a larger one.  Width adjusted to how wide you need your team to be.  Whether it works like that under the hood, who knows

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

If it works via common sense, then you should pick the option that fits your style of play best.  Tight passing and pressing football would be better on a smaller pitch to strangle the opposition.  Direct football on a larger one.  Width adjusted to how wide you need your team to be.  Whether it works like that under the hood, who knows

Surely you want as large a pitch as possible for a Man City style passing team, because a bigger pitch leaves bigger spaces for you to exploit gaps via passes.

Direct counter attacking football you'd want a smaller pitch so you can strangle the opposition and increase the changes of the game being a choppy affair with more transitions and turnovers.