[FM22] Is finishing off?

Hey all, this is more of a general asking rather than a complaint or an issue.

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with finishing? I only ask as in my MacArthur FC game I’m creating several chances and quite a lot of high quality chances per match but I’ve noticed that my strikers either hit it straight at the keeper, hit the frame of the goal or blast it wide or over and very rarely will they actually score.

overall it’s not a massive issue as I’ll just keep trying to fine tune my tactic until I improve the goals scored to chances created ratio but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it or if I’m just in a bad patch with my strikers

2 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with finishing? I only ask as in my MacArthur FC game I’m creating several chances and quite a lot of high quality chances per match but I’ve noticed that my strikers either hit it straight at the keeper, hit the frame of the goal or blast it wide or over and very rarely will they actually score.

overall it’s not a massive issue as I’ll just keep trying to fine tune my tactic until I improve the goals scored to chances created ratio but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing it or if I’m just in a bad patch with my strikers

Post your striker player stats then we will know what is actually going on. How does his xG looks like? How many shots is he taking per 90? How many of those are on target? And make sure you have a big enough sample size with at least 20 matches played.

Thanks for getting back to me @zyfon5 I’m gonna leave it for now purely because my striker seemed to hit a real purple patch of form and ended finishing joint second goal scorer in the league so I’d probably say it was more of a form issue rather than anything else as the team as a whole were playing poorly at the time

17 horas atrás, Zeonflux disse:

I am not playing FM 22, but I have been facing the same problem in 21. It doesn´t have a clear explanation - I have good strikers for the league´s level, but they waste almost all the chances, in different roles and duties. it is always the same, we create a lot but are scoring just a few.

I thought it was because of the higher Line of Engagement, as some people say it could reduce the space that my strikers have to play, so I reduced LOE but the problem continued. Then I thought it was intensity, but even reducing intensity they continued to waste everything. Why? They are not the worst strikers in the world, why this is happening every game? And why they do it even if we play without any TI?

To solve this I have been following the mentality clue. I play LLM, so I suspect that my players - which can be good for the level of the league, but of course they are not the best ones in the world - are rushing things out when we play on the Positive mentality, and they don´t have the quality to compensate that. So I reduced mentality to Balanced to great effects during a game, we finally scored and won 2-1. I will observe during the next matches if a higher mentality could be the problem, last season we did very well on Balanced and it was our best moment on the season, so maybe yes, mentality can be the answer.

22 minutes ago, Tsuru said:

I am not playing FM 22, but I have been facing the same problem in 21. It doesn´t have a clear explanation - I have good strikers for the league´s level, but they waste almost all the chances, in different roles and duties. it is always the same, we create a lot but are scoring just a few.

I thought it was because of the higher Line of Engagement, as some people say it could reduce the space that my strikers have to play, so I reduced LOE but the problem continued. Then I thought it was intensity, but even reducing intensity they continued to waste everything. Why? They are not the worst strikers in the world, why this is happening every game? And why they do it even if we play without any TI?

To solve this I have been following the mentality clue. I play LLM, so I suspect that my players - which can be good for the level of the league, but of course they are not the best ones in the world - are rushing things out when we play on the Positive mentality, and they don´t have the quality to compensate that. So I reduced mentality to Balanced to great effects during a game, we finally scored and won 2-1. I will observe during the next matches if a higher mentality could be the problem, last season we did very well on Balanced and it was our best moment on the season, so maybe yes, mentality can be the answer.

Refer to my reply above and post your striker stats. I will have a look at it.

• 9 months later...

The answer I think lies in a lot of places all at once. Finishing and Composure both play an important part in the accuracy of the shot, as does the Tempo the team plays under. I've always found that when seeing a lot of misses or a lot of balls right into the Keeper's bread basket, that lowering Tempo is a good place to start. While we are fortunate we have an opportunity to address Finishing and Composure through the application of Focus training, but once a player is over 24 improvements are likely to be negligible. Check your Tempo, perhaps lowering it a little and see if it helps. 

Cheers,

Kel

I don't think there's a significant problem for finishing in FM22. Although I do believe that they have programmed confidence to be a bit too powerful in the game. Obivoulsy strikers in real life tend to go on scoring streaks and dry runs, but I feel like in FM almost everyone does it and it swings wildly from one way to another. For example my starting striker has about 15 finishing and has scored a goal a game for two seasons running. Almost every chance he gets, he buries. In that time I've had two backup strikers with similar attributes for finishing and composure, and neither have scored any goals and miss multiple chances every time they play.

On 17/11/2021 at 14:19, Tsuru said:

There's no way poor finishing can be due to anything tactical like this. The only thing I can think of tactically that could possibly cause poor finishing is using shoot on side with forwards with poor long shots and finishing, and floated crosses with short players bad in the air.

If you have genuinely poor finishing (as in you've checked in the datahub and you're underperforming) , it's a man management issue. Your strikers are getting into good positions and making the correct runs, they're obviously working hard but low on confidence. You have to use press conferences, team talks, and private chats to take the pressure of your striker. You normally get hints of players low on confidence when the press start asking you about it, and when you get that dreaded news item in the inbox "x player determined to break dry spell".

• 4 months later...
On 24/08/2022 at 09:04, kelabb said:

The answer I think lies in a lot of places all at once. Finishing and Composure both play an important part in the accuracy of the shot, as does the Tempo the team plays under. I've always found that when seeing a lot of misses or a lot of balls right into the Keeper's bread basket, that lowering Tempo is a good place to start. While we are fortunate we have an opportunity to address Finishing and Composure through the application of Focus training, but once a player is over 24 improvements are likely to be negligible. Check your Tempo, perhaps lowering it a little and see if it helps. 

Cheers,

Kel

The Tempo thing worked in my case, I was just playing on a extremely high tempo and a lot of my players were missing sitters. Thanks

On 16/11/2021 at 12:23, Zeonflux said:

I know that the in game match engine is purely a representation of the numbers being crunched behind the scenes ie: if your player has an open net and is sure to score and misses, the game meant him to miss. The match engine is just doing a poor job of showing you how.

Aside from that: Composure and Concentration seem much more heavily weighted in this FM (with the "chaos" element they tried to introduce, mistakes are more commonplace) so perhaps that's a contributing factor.

Edited by Cloud9