[FM22] The Long and Corrupt Road to the World Cup

forameuss

2022 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia

The World Cup.  The pinnacle.  The majesty.  The spectacle.

The...slave labour.  The greed.  The weird trail on that T in the logo up there.  Game's gone.

The issues with the decision to award Qatar the World Cup in 2022, and then the subsequent myriad issues with the preparations for the tournament itself...well, there's more learned people than me that can talk about that.  So after this sentence, this one right here, I'm going to treat it like it isn't this Frankenstein's monster of a tournament, and delve straight back into what a World Cup should be.  Bloody brilliant.  Ready?  Let's go.

---

There aren't many competitions in World Football that have such a long and gruelling process of qualification.  Way back on the 6th of June 2019, it all kicked off in Africa, and on the 11th, just days later, we had our first eliminations.  Timor-Leste probably wished they hadn't bothered, getting smashed 12-2 on aggregate.  Macau were perhaps harshly eliminated after having the temerity to not feel safe to travel following a spate of bombings in Sri Lanka (FIFA treated it as a forfeit, well done lads).  But near enough three and a half years before the tournament starts properly, the journey had begun.

So what's this one all about then?  Well, I had always planned on doing some "real-time" save this year alongside other, faster-paced saves, so this is my first attempt at it.  I will be loading a save, with ALL nations added, starting in the Summer of 2021, and then simulate through whatever qualifying games are left worldwide, then taking control of one (probably randomly chosen) country at the tournament.  I'll then only play one day per real-life day, giving (hopefully) a wealth of coverage of what's going on in that mad, unique tournament.

But of course, we've a lot more to cover before we get to that point, because when we pick up our save, there's a lot of football still to be played.  Join me next time, on the as yet properly titled thread...

eLaXpvG.png

So here we are.   Day 1.  We started the save at a random point in the summer, knowing that some qualification games had already taken place.  That means that for some, the journey is already over, whereas others have already reached the promised land.

ADo8JXj.png

Above is a record of all the countries that were involved in qualification in some way or another.  212 countries began, and at the point the save began, we have 130 still in it in some fashion.  3 nations have already qualified, all from Asia.  Qatar obviously, due to hosting, but also Japan and Australia as they predictably smashed their way through qualifying.  No big casualties just yet, and only a few notable situations.  North Korea completely withdrew for mad, tenuous reasons.  Saint Lucia also did the same, and didn't play any games.  Shame.  I bet they would have gotten there.  

In terms of a more detailed run-down...

Confederation of African Football - Wikipedia

SRSqorR.png7RpRmeS.pngxB5gAG3.png

Stage: 2 of 3
Qualifiers: Group winners go through

Africa.  For me, the most cut-throat qualifying process, even though on the face of it there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between that and the European system.  Both have ten groups, both are complete longshots, but it seems like a far tougher ask, particularly in certain groups.  Only one team will go through out of the four, and even then they all face one final knockout round before going to the World Cup.  Given that, there's a couple of very tasty groups out there.  Groups 4 and 7 jump out specifically, meaning that two of the Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Ghana or South Africa will definitely not be at the tournament.  Looks like both South Africa and Ivory Coast ended up as second seeds in the draw, so they've certainly made it hard on themselves.  Particularly when you look at the groups the likes of Tunisia, Nigeria or Algeria got.  

Anyway, let's have a wee bet on who goes through - Algeria, Tunisia, Nigeria, Cameroon, Mali, Egypt, Ghana, Senegal, Morocco, DR Congo.  Book it.

Asian Football Confederation - Wikipedia

XxddyIM.png

Stage: 3 of 4
Qualifiers: Top two sides go through from each group, two third placed sides face a playoff

There's something ruthlessly efficient about Asia.  Even in Covid times, we're just about done with qualification here, with only a few places left to play for.  Austraia and Japan have been largely untroubled, and they're going to Qatar.  Syria are on the brink, just needing a point from their final two games to join them.  South Korea could end up being pipped, but it looks unlikely and they're surely massive favourites.  From there, the playoff spots are a big question.  Saudi Arabia and Iran are the favourites, but Iraq, UAE and Oman could force their way in there.  Even Jordan aren't totally out of it yet.  

Qualifying completes in October.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

kWKVMHz.png

Stage: Final
Qualifiers: Top three go to the World Cup, fourth enters an intercontinental playoff

Not much to talk about here as no games have taken place.  Quite a schedule to get through with a massive 14 games to play in a year.  Favourites are obviously going to be USA and Mexico, but in real life neither seems to have lit the place up.  Could we see a shock here?

Probably not, but let's hope.

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

wAt5JiW.png

Stage: One and Only
Qualifiers: Top four go to the World Cup, fifth enters an intercontinental playoff

If Africa is the most cut-throat qualifying campaign, South America probably deserves the award for the most gruelling.  18 games for each side.  

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the standings didn't change by the end.  Brazil already look sorted, Argentina are stretching away.  Would be nice to see someone different, but can't see it.

The official website for European football | UEFA.com

0A9F3B7.pngk0Ts868.png

de8mjJN.png3Z44vaX.png

Stage: One and Only
Qualifiers: All group winners go through, runners-up go to a playoff with two Nations League group winners

Your traditional qualifying campaign, where the haves and have-nots get to come together, with the latter getting the **** kicked out of them.  The chances for any side pot 3 and below to qualify are very slim, but the playoff situation is slightly improved.  Still though, I'd be amazed if there are any surprises in the qualifiers.  Early days yet, but already looking ominous for a few of the top seeds.

Oceania Football Confederation - Wikipedia

MJ6n4wb.png

Stage: 1 of 3
Qualifiers: Two group winners go through to a playoff

We've talked about the most gruelling and the most cutthroat qualification campaigns, but Oceania has to be the most...pointless?  It's been really hard hit by Covid (don't believe there are any plans on how to get the games completed in real life) but even then it's just a procession to see just how New Zealand are going to qualify.  New Caledonia, Solomon Islands and Tahiti will join them, the two former looking very impressive in their group.  New Zealand will play Solomon Islands, New Caledonia will play Tahiti.  The two winners face off at some point before November 2022.

tgwKb0c.png

The picture looking a little clearer now.  212 nations started, 87 eliminated, 129 remain.

68BhjLQ.png

G4ETP0l.png

A3UdHDR.png

Still early days in Africa, but it's looking good for my prediction.  Only Guinea are breaking from it, and look to have taken a big step towards the next round over Morocco.  However, they've yet to play each other, so could all change.

I5qRcUS.png

History made as Syria qualify for their first ever World Cup. Quite amazing that with one game left to go, they could end up finishing top of the group.  The top two play each other in that final game, and it would be wonderful to see them beat the Aussies.

Away from that, there's still one matter to resolve with either Saudi Arabia or Oman taking that final playoff spot.  Saudi Arabia play Jordan, Oman play South Korea, so you'd imagine the Saudis are still the favourites to book a playoff against Iran.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

zWQQPJm.png

So far so boring to be honest.  Mexico drew 3-3 with Honduras in the opener which was perhaps a bit of a shock, then followed it up with a 1-1 draw in the USA.  A 5-1 against Jamaica puts them back on track, and I'd be amazed if they didn't go on to extend their lead.

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

akmSKeC.png

HThe South American train rolls on, and...well, what's the point really?  What's the actual point in South American qualifying?  Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Colombia still top 4, Uruguay still on course for a playoff.

Boooooooooooooooooring.

ZtVLLL2.png9jKhatR.png

4wX2ai1.pngDI65BAA.png

Onto more traditional groups, and Europe gets towards the business end.  Just two international windows left, and several nations on the brink of making it to Qatar.

But then I criticised South America for being boring, so only fair I do the same here.  Top seeds all having very, very little trouble.  Denmark have yet to even let a goal in in real life, yet they dropped points to Scotland and got beat off Israel early in the campaign, but they still look like they'll make it through with little bother.  England have drawn twice, but again I can't really see Poland overhauling them. Everywhere else it's just domination.  The playoff battle is a lot more interesting and at this stage there's a fair few nations still in with a shout.  

DuHtUEr.png

WI'm shocked.  Utterly shocked.  New Zealand have somehow, against all odds, made it to the final.  They pumped the Solomon Islands 6-0, while Tahiti bested New Caledonia in a much more interesting game. 

It's just a question at this stage of how many New Zealand will win by, unfortunately.

oe74Xq2.png

b2O9z7k.png

uJb0FaT.png

SThe picture clearing up a little in Africa, and it looks like the one possible story has up and left.  Morocco beat Guinea in their anticipated battle, and now look like they'll stroll their way to the top spot.

A few of the groups look like they could go down to the wire though.  Egypt and Mali will be nervously looking over their shoulders going into the final round of games, but should have enough.

0ZlgjnX.png

HOman completely choked in their must-win game, so Saudi Arabia took the playoff spot.  They'll play Iran in November to decide the final Asian qualifier.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

6vM8fIM.png

Honduras have really fallen away after their early promise, and despite being pummeled in their only defeat, Jamaica have really had a good international window.  With Canada struggling a bit for form, the fans of Reggae stand a decent chance.

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

ohdsW6e.png

Boooooooooooooooooring.

Booooooooooooooo.

We need some kind of fight to liven this up.

CqnuZiB.pngKjnqGei.pngIJwv3fQ.png

October is usually the time things start to get sorted.  The bigger nations can usually seal their spot, or at least take huge steps towards it.  France, Portugal and Holland are already there with perfect records.  Germany, Belgium and Italy are a point away.  

A few groups still retain some interest though.  Group B still remains in the balance with Spain and Sweden both hoping for top spot.  Group F also, with Denmark, Austria and even Scotland in a position to take top spot (the latter pretty surprising given they've already lost to the Faroes this campaign.  Aye.  I said previously that Poland probably don't have it in them to catch England, but they're still hanging in there.  But it's Group H with the most interest, with four sides still able to take top spot.

Finally some interest!

FgYfVI3.png

*Slow, uninterested clapping*

New Zealand, unsurprisingly, are going to Qatar.

RSM5JSO.png

9 Nations Qualified, with 23 spots remaining

212 nations entered, 90 remain

vRTJcxG.pngHb5YZYt.pngmg0YpV8.png

We've had an actual shock! Group 7 was surely Ghana or South Africa's to lose, but turns out they both lost with Zimbabwe taking the only qualifying spot.  They were dead and buried last round, but two wins in two games, against Ghana and South Africa allowed them to take the top spot on goal difference.  Absolutely wonderful stuff, and an unexpected face in the final round.

Pity the rest of the groups couldn't raise much.  Ivory Coast and Cameroon served up a bit of intrigue, with the former taking the top spot on goal difference.  In the rest of the groups the favourite ran away with it.

zTc3zjj.png

The final round is drawn, and there's some very tasty ties in there.  I'm pretty sure Algeria vs Egypt is one of the biggest rivalries on the continent.  Two legs, winners go to Qatar.

eaUV9Tg.png

Iran were Tehran it up (HA!) in the first leg, but struggled a little bit in Riyadh.  Still, a 1-0 defeat was enough after the 3-0 win in the first leg, and they'll be joining their pals at the finals.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

0Ryox5f.png

Group seems to be just about there by the halfway stage.  Obviously not impossible for it to all change, but now that everyone's played each other, I'd be surprised if much changes in the final 6.

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

lcDok1B.png

Finally something happens, but unfortunately it's just a really expected qualification.  Brazil have run away with the group, and they've booked their spot.  Just four games left, and probably not enough time for anyone South of 5th to mount much of a challenge.

Z45kCCD.pngT6xCY8p.pngoQOa2hA.png

Everything's coming to an end, and now it's Europe's turn.  Still the playoffs to come, but we have our group winners sorted.  And in the end it was exactly what everyone expected.  All top seeds go through, and all of them (Croatia and England maybe excepted) did it with little trouble.  

The playoff battle will be very interesting.  A lot of nations around the same level all fighting it out for just three spots.  I *think* that Wales and Austria will join the ten runners-up after winning their Nations League groups, but couldn't find that inside FM.  Assume it'll follow real life.  Those games come in March.

7qnknML.png

17 Nations Qualified, with 15 spots remaining

212 nations entered, 62 remain

22 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Always enjoy your careers and I like international football (remembering the first 40 or so seasons of your Scotland save a few FM's back!) All I can say is, poor Djibouti, -38 GD from just 6 games! :lol:

It's a wee bit disappointing that I couldn't start a save riiiiight at the start so we could take in the likes of TImor-Leste getting an absolute pumping.  Must be a weird case for these multiple stage qualifying campaigns.  Djibouti did enough to get through to that group stage, but then...well, that happened.

Actually, I've just gone and checked, and although that's an average of a little over 6 goals conceded, that's actually not the height of it.  Here's their fixtures...

CVxwr2O.png

They scored their only goal in the 87th minute of the game against Niger, and clearly angered whatever God they held dear.  16-0 against Algeria.  Deary me.

10 hours ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

The story of qualifying is certainly Zimbabwe. Love the idea behind this thread.

Definitely the big story so far.  Was quite the final window for them.

hlt2SAz.png

es8W5pD.png

They were 2nd going into the final 2 games, point ahead of South Africa, point behind Ghana.  Went into that penultimate match knowing that a defeat would eliminate them.

AtBETn1.png

Twice they went ahead in both games, fighting back from equalisers to take six points from six, and charge into the final round where they play Senegal.  Will be VERY interested in that tie.

Edited by forameuss

Bit of a weird one this one, as we have two mini international windows in just CONCACAF and CONMEBOL in January of 2022.  Probably more down to Covid than anything else, but can just imagine the consternation from the clubs.

Anyway...

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

kbmgaHj.png

To be American about it, we're approaching the End Game in the CONCACAF qualifying.  Four games to go, and one team have started to pull away.  Of course it's Mexico, did you really need to ask?

Aside from them, USA and Jamaica appear to be almost there.  Two wins will almost certainly secure their spot.  The intercontinental playoff spot is a little more up in the air.  Canada in pole position now, but a nervous 1-0 against Haiti and then a 3-1 bruising at the hands of the US isn't going to raise too much confidence.

Next games are in March.

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

p3mb58E.png

GwRQMW2.png

LxpGlVO.png

I don't know how anyone can get excited about South American qualifying.  

Looks like the intercontinental playoff spot is the only real piece of intrigue left, with Peru, Chile and Paraguay still in with a shout.  Just two games left to go, and they'll be played in March.

wN4MOnO.png

19 Nations Qualified, with 13 spots remaining

212 nations entered, 59 remain

March 23rd 2022

Slight change in format as we move into the key days of qualifying, moving more towards how it'll be once we get to the World Cup.  Late March sees the European Playoffs, the Final Round of African Qualifying, and the final fixtures of the long, long journeys in South and North America.  By the end of the month almost all of the spots will have been taken, with only the Intercontinental Playoff spots left to decide. 

But today...

qmctcM6.png

First leg is in the books, and everything still looks like it's in the balance going into the second leg in a few days time.  Big late goals for the Ivory Coast and Egypt to take control of their ties, but unfortunately Zimbabwe took a damaging 2-0 defeat.  Still not out of it of course, but a big task for the return leg back in Harare.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

p6oxiet.png

VwtIP47.png

FThree games this window for North America, which will conclude the group and see who goes to Qatar.  One round of those three down, and we've got two more qualifiers.  They are, of course, Mexico and the USA.  The former have rarely been troubled outside of those couple of opening games, the latter have just about managed to keep their noses in front of a very impressive Jamaican side.  Panama qualified for 2018, Honduras for 2014, and Costa Rica for both, but it's possible none of them will be there in 2022.  Costa Rica's defeat to Canada has probably ended their hopes, although they're still mathematically in it.  Jamaica need a point to secure qualification, Canada need a point to secure a playoff spot.  Two relatively fresh faces.  Lovely stuff.  

B5NkeHW.png

21 Nations Qualified, with 11 spots remaining

212 nations entered, 49 remain

(And yes, I ballsed up the counts in previous posts)

March 24th 2022

jjoRZZb.png

Trainspotting. (it's shite being scottish)

The unlikely dream of World Cup 2022 is over for Scotland after a bitterly disappointing defeat to a team they had already beaten to 2nd in the group.  Even more disappointing given that this setup seems to be wrong in-game.  The two Nations League qualifiers - Wales and Austria - should have been unseeded, with the best 2nd placed sides seeded, and playing at home.  There's no second placed table in FM, so looks like a completely random draw, and we definitely came off worse in it.  An insipid performance, surrendering a lead and then having Fredericks booked in the 51st, and then sent off in the 53rd.  Limped out, and the dream of managing Scotland in Qatar is over. 

But if that was a pointless, tedious match, at least elsewhere we had some excitement.  First up, Finland put on a near flawless performance to put out Poland.  An early sending off probably turned the tide, but credit to the Finns for managing to get in at half-time 4-0 up.  Second half was a procession, despite that goal back.

Then we come to Norway.  In real life, they struggle to put a team around Erling Haaland that can compete.  So clearly they've now gone for a different approach - just give him the ball and have him win it on his own.  Patrick Schick had a tremendous Euros, including scoring at Hampden after taking a shot from the vicinity of Edinburgh, and he looked like he was going to be playing at another tournament with an early double.  But then big, mad Erling woke up, scoring a 10 minute hat-trick before half-time to turn the tie on its head.  Then he calmed down a wee bit, probably had a wee sleep, but again was awoken at the sound of a Czech goal.  So he decided another hat-trick was in order, this time in a frankly pathetic 18 minutes.  Unplayable.  There was time for a late consolation, but I expect they were all in tears by that point.

And the stories kept coming in Bucharest as Romania shocked the Russians with a 5-star performance.  An early goal must have settled the nerves, because they were utterly clinical from there.  Six shots on target, five goals.  Russia weren't exactly terrible, created chances, but when you're up against that kind of efficiency, what chance do you have?

Welsh dreams continue as they managed a very impressive 3-1 victory over Switzerland.  Again, probably benefited from a home draw they shouldn't have had, but I'd imagine Cardiff quite enjoyed that.  Talisman Ramsey got the double either side of half-time, and Joe Rodon made it three.  I'd say there was a nervous end after Switzerland scored a minute later, but from the looks of the stats, they were utterly dominated.  A deserved win for the Welsh.  Which I hate saying.

And Serbia beat Sweden.  Not sure what else I can say about the least interesting tie of the round.

w6IU3Md.png

The final line-up is now set.  Three of these sides will go to Qatar, and three will fall just yards from the finish line.  

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

tqylrRy.png

GdQrK2o.png

In considerably less exciting news, we had the penultimate games in South American qualifying.  Colombia now join Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil in qualifying automatically, but at least we do have some intrigue going into the final games.  Peru, Chile or even Paraguay still stand a chance of getting that final intercontinental playoff spot.  

nsqYwKu.png

But if Paraguay are going to do it, they're going to have to do it the hard way.  They need to beat Brazil and hope that both Peru and Chile are beaten.  More likely, we have a straight shootout between Peru and Chile - a win for Peru almost certainly sees them qualify, as I can't see Chile beating Colombia by enough.  A defeat at altitude against Bolivia for Peru though?  Things could get interesting.  

Honestly, they could.

aJA75hI.png

March 26th 2022

LKCf2z4.png

Years after the journey started, it's all over in Africa.  And unfortunately, it's all over for Zimbabwe.  When Sadio Mane scored to make it 3-0 on aggregate, not even a near instant reply could rouse much of a fight back.  They can definitely hold their heads high though, and maybe it's something to build on for 2026. 

Elsewhere, the stories likely come from two matches.  Algeria completely turned their tie with Egypt on its head, going from 2-1 down after the first leg to 3-2 on aggregate just 26 minutes in.  Egypt threw everything at them for the rest of the game in a febrile home atmosphere, but they couldn't make the pressure count.  Delort's goal in stoppage time started the party in the away end, and likely the riot in the home end.  Sharif's reply came far too late to matter, and Algeria take the spot.  Morocco also managed to do similar, shocking the Ivory Coast by turning another 2-1 defeat in the first leg into a 3-1 win in the second.  Perhaps even more impressive given that Ivory Coast scored first.  Morocco replied, but faced an agonising wait.  IN the 85th minute, they got the equaliser, and then the winner in the 92nd.  Ivory Coast stunned, devastated, but it's Morocco who go through.

Elsewhere, Nigeria pummelled Tunisia in their own back yard, and DR Congo unconvincingly saw out their tie.  Which completes the set.  Five go through, five stay home.

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

IGBs6MJ.png

xyjxxFx.png

All matters resolved in CONCACAF now too, with one game to go.  Mexico and USA were already through, and Jamaica and Canada needed a point each to seal their respective places.  A Scott Arfield inspired Canada produced a very mature performance against Cuba to eliminate that small chance that Costa Rica could pip them.  They played out an absolute classic with Honduras, but it's ultimately for nothing.

Jamaica themselves had their own classic with the US, eventually settling for 2-2 with a 90th minute equaliser.  Very impressive from them, and they've qualified convincingly.

PJT3LQb.png 

March 28th 2022

cVQ4iT7.png

Europe's now also in the books, and boy are there some deflated footballers after these.  The least remarkable tie was probably Austria vs Serbia.  The latter were the unlucky losers in Belgrade on penalties for the Euro 2020 playoff finals, but they've righted that wrong here.  Deep, deep into stoppage time, a nothing through ball was sent up.  Gregoritsch just had to control it and the ref would have likely blown for full time.  But, about 40 yards out, he fumbled it, and Vlahovic stole in.  He still had a lot to do.  A whole lot in fact.  But with the Austrian keeper standing on the six yard line, Vlahovic looped in an unstoppable drive to send his country to Qatar.  Scenes.

Haaland and friends also join them, but they didn't have it all their own way like in the semi final.  Romania also had quite a semi final with their dismantling of Russia, and the two were very evenly matched here.  Norway were all set to take a 2-1 win but were thrown a curveball when Thorsby was sent off.  Their resistance broke in the 74th minute which took it to extra time.  In truth, Norway had battered Romania all game, and they got their reward in the 99th when Sahraoui snuck in from the right and slotted in at the near post.  Haaland will get a chance to show off his skills on the world stage.

In the final match, an expectant crowd in Cardiff was treated to a record of a crime.  A theft, to be accurate.  Better chances, more of the game, but they just couldn't turn that pressure into goals.  An XG of 1.89 against 0.5 tells the story.  Wales should be going to the World Cup, but instead it's Finland.  It was yet another period of pressure for Wales in extra-time, but it came to nothing, intercepted just outside the Finland box.  A few touches, a route one pass, and Forss was clean through.  He kept his nerve and chipped it past the Welsh keeper.  

lu0lcbL.png

That's almost a full complement of nations qualified, 30 out of 32.  The only things left to decide are the Intercontinental playoffs, and which of Peru, Chile and Paraguay will take the final spot in those playoffs.  I thought New Zealand had made it automatically, but they'll take a playoff spot instead.  

New Zealand
Iran
Canada
Peru/Chile/Paraguay

They'll face off in June.

March 29th 2022

CONCACAF - Wikipedia

21t66CM.png

4kpv31L.png

Before kick-off, there really wasn't much left to play for.  Canada, USA, Jamaica and Mexico were safe, the rest were just playing for pride.  The only thing arguably at stake is World Ranking points to control your seeding for the main tournament.

Given that, Jamaica are going to be going in there with confidence sky high after securing a second placed finish.  Their result wasn't a surprise with how poor Haiti have been, but what was a surprise was the USA completely evaporating in their final game against Costa Rica.  It doesn't really matter of course, but with a little over 6 months to go, will that play on US minds?

CONMEBOL - Wikipedia

exbYOuV.png

mgn0iAK.png

And finally, South America's long, long qualifying campaign is over, and our final question mark has been rubbed out and replaced with a big sign saying "Peru ****ed it".  They went in to this game level on points and with a superior goal difference.  I mentioned they had a tough game at altitude against Bolivia, and I was proved right.  Still, they managed to take the lead, and just had to see the (admittedly long) rest of the game out.  But Bolivia roared back, went in at half time ahead, and secured the win with minutes to go. 

That result meant that the door was open for both Paraguay and Chile.  The former needed to beat Brazil and hope that both Peru and Chile lost.  One of those had, but unfortunately for Paraguay, they just couldn't find a way past the Brazilian defence.  Tensions boiled over with Sanchez sent off at the death, but it was all for nothing.  That draw was creditable, but not enough for them.

Which left Chile.  With Paraguay and Peru both failing their tasks, all Chile needed was a draw. It wasn't the most comfortable of matches, and Colombia probably deserved to win it, but Chile got the point they needed, and they take that final playoff spot.

Excitement at the last.  Cheers South America.

TYhQJaI.png

EThe playoffs have been drawn too, and two of these sides will fill those last two spots.  Got to feel for Canada.  They've been brilliant in this campaign, and now they're rewarded with arguably the toughest match.  New Zealand and Iran both have to be happy with their respective draws

14mHRkw.png

Intercontinental Playoff Special

So here we are, June 2022, when we probably should be at a tournament.  Instead, we still have two ties to go, and then a few months wait for a Winter World Cup.  What a time to be alive.

Chile travel North to Toronto, while Iran have near enough an entire day's travel to Auckland, then the same again for the return.  

7I7tYVG.png

And did that travel have a role in those results?

We'll start in Toronto, where Canada have put on quite a shock, absolutely humbling Chile 4-2.  They went 2-0 up in just over half an hour, but on the stroke of half time, Vargas got a goal back and threatened to turn things around.  If they'd made it to half-time like that, maybe things would've been different.  But just two minutes later, with the referee's whistle to his lips, Chile decided that defending was for geeks.  Buchanan marauded down the right wing, eager to get his hat-trick.  His cross was long, reeeeeally long, but Millar picked it up on the left, largely unmarked.  He checked onto his right foot, took a moment, and squared the ball to the feet of a completely unmarked Osorio.  He took his chance, and it was 3-1 at half-time.  They never really recovered from that, adding to their tally early in the second half after some more dreadful, dreadful Chilean defending.  They did get one back with a late penalty though, and given away goals matter, could that be critical when they return to Santiago?

In the other match, New Zealand almost produced the perfect first leg performance.  Two cracking volleyed finishes from loose balls put them in a commanding position.  A fairly even game, but New Zealand had taken their chances.  They were home and dry.  But then deep, deep into added time, Iran won a corner.  Just hold out.  That's all you need to do.  The corner was floated in, and Azmoun attacked it like his favourite post-match meal.  The crowd held its breath, but the header crashed against the bar...and then cannoned straight into Cheshmi and into the empty net.  A fortuitous goal, and one that could be so, so important.

LzWPL5R.png

We'll start again with Canada and Chile.  The latter took the lead to reduce arrears to 4-2, but when they conceded a penalty and Jonathan David converted it, that ended any realistic chance of the tie being turned.  Canada added a 2nd in the second half to make it 6-3 on aggregate, and they will be going to only their 2nd World Cup, their first since 1986.

But poor New Zealand are out, and that 95th minute goal for Iran in the first leg has done them.  They had a job to do, and that was to get a goal of any kind.  That would negate Iran's slim bargaining chip. But they just did not turn up after their long, long journey.  Iran needed a goal, and they just wanted it more.  They'd been exerting more and more pressure as time went on, and New Zealand finally made a mistake, not closing down early enough out wide.  The ball was sent in dangerously and Azmoun got in front of his marker to steer it in.

New Zealand and Chile are out, Iran and Canada are through.

6ZuEi7X.png

No teams remain.  We have our 32.

The Draw

I was all suited and booted ready to head out to Qatar to attend, but seems my invitation was lost in the post. 

But in FM terms, I didn't get invited to view the draw, presumably as I'm on the dole queue and wasn't directly involved.  Shame.  So no nicely presented draw or screenshots of pots unfortunately.

Top seeds, I believe, would've been Qatar, Brazil, Portugal, France, Argentina, Italy, England and Belgium.

INKuQKm.pngVFKbjrH.png

And there we have it.  And you know what?  I'm not exactly enthused.  Each group seems to have, at most, two "big" teams, with none throwing up any kind of Group of Death energy.  I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but I can see a situation where the top seed and then next biggest side goes through in all the groups, and that'd be a big shame.

While we're here, may as well throw out my predictions so that, hopefully, I can be completely wrong and we have Syria vs Iran in the final or something.

(1) Germany
(2) Spain

(1) Portugal
(2) Uruguay

(2) Canada
(1) Brazil

(2) Mexico
(1) England

(1) France
(2) Jamaica

(1) Italy
(2) Norway

(2) Holland
(1) Argentina

(2) Japan
(1) Belgium

Quarter Finals

Germany
Portugal

Brazil
England

France
Norway

Holland
Belgium

Semi Finals

Germany
Brazil

Norway
Holland

Final

Brazil
Holland

The Teams

So this is the big question.  So far I've basically done a High School level English project on this save, rather than doing anything particularly interesting.  So I'll need to actually get involved in, you know, the managing part.  But who to choose?  Now there's a question.

My original hope was that my own country would have made it through the playoff and made it to the tournament.  What better way to do this save than to fail valiantly with Scotland?  However, they decided to fail valiantly all by themselves, so that's off the table.  

Now there's a few groups of options.  Do I pick a complete diddy side and hope for a fairy-tale run?  Certainly a challenge, but does it make much of a good story for me to manage a team for three games and then it all be over?  Do I pick a top team in the hope I make it to the latter stages?  I could, but seems a bit of a cop-out.  Do I just randomly pick?  

So out of those, I picked option 3.  A proper Excel-style draw with random IDs, then open your eyes after a few draws.  And, of course, every option just seemed ****.  There's a serious lack of options out there that really jump out at me.  So I got thinking - I've tried multiple managers previously, but on most saves it just becomes a bit unwieldy as you churn through the same time periods multiple times.  However, given I'll be progressing one day per real life day, that's less of a problem.  

So with that in mind, let me introduce you to the managers.  Plural.

jt1VzKG.pngbjmzubA.png

Edited by forameuss

The Managers

5dm2HOg.png

Meet Vincenzo Rossi.

He was born on the same day that Italy won the World Cup in 1982.  After that day of joy, and sharing a name with that tournament's Golden Boot Paulo Rossi, it was no wonder Vincenzo had a career in football.  He was an ever-present for his country during his long and storied career, and now he's retired and Roberto Mancini has moved onto different pastures, he's going to try and steer his country to a European Championship and World Cup double.  

He's very much on the "motivator" side of things, which will hopefully make up for his lack of real world experience.  With Roberto Mancini sensationally leaving his post on the eve of the World Cup, Vincenzo took his post on Halloween.  He'll have just days to meet with his backroom team and work out what squad to call up, as that list needs to be submitted by the 2nd of November, with Italy's first game coming on the 24th.  Just the one friendly against South Korea planned, and Vincenzo will be looking to organise one other before they jet off to Qatar.

Why Italy?

Put simply, I love the country.  Unfortunately, although I've probably just about got the complexion, I don't think I'm anywhere near what it would take to actually be Italian.  But if I could spend time anywhere in the World, it'd be at various spots I've spent time in Italy.  Beautiful country.  Can think of no better option to take control of, and hopefully I can add the World Cup to that European Championship.

The focus will be on the sort of football they played last summer, or as close to it as possible.

bAHPsXA.png

Meet Miles Tremblay.

Whilst Rossi was a well-known name in football, most would struggle to place big Miles.  And I say big, because I mean it.  He's 6'9", which served him well as Canada's record caps holder.  When John Herdman had to step down, he personally suggested Miles to succeed him.  He's been working hard on getting the required coaching badges, but many fans have questioned whether he's the right man to lead Canada to their first World Cup in a generation.  Like Rossi, he's considered a motivator, so hopefully he can keep the good feeling that exists in the camp going.

Why Canada?

It seemed fitting.  When I was working through the random choices, the USA was one that popped up and didn't seem too unappealing.  A mid-range side, one that could spring a few surprises, but then I thought I was maybe thinking a little too far South.  After the terrific qualifying campaign they've had, and with the exciting squad they can pick from, Canada seems like the perfect choice.  

Crucially, both of these sides sit on opposite sides of the draw, so the only time we could meet is in the final.  That's likely not going to happen, but we'll see.

The Preamble

jt1VzKG.png

So first up in any international job for me is to look at what staff we have at our disposal.  Usually you're taking control at the start of a cycle, so you're looking for a coaching team that can properly scout players, and make the most of what limited time you have with the players.  However, things are a little different in this save, as these managers will likely only be in charge for a little over a month.

So my first port of call is looking at my assistant manager and seeing if he's worth keeping on.

xqcvcBr.png

First up is Daniele Rosati, current Italian Assistant Manager.  Not exactly setting the world alight with those stats, so he's someone i'd like to replace.  Maybe with someone with a little more experience...a little more "big name".

gNZIndb.png

lfYqqQc.png

cuC8VL4.png

And here are the three possibles. Gianfranco Zola, Giorgio Chiellini and Antonio Di Natale.  Certainly big names, but can't really say that they're particularly talented, but given the short period of time we're with them, I want it to be someone the players can look up to.

So...

gjMndQM.png

Tony Christmas joins us as assistant, leaving his club role behind.  Bit of a step, Tony, I'm going to be gone in a month...

eQegi9O.png

Here's the sides Italy will face.  When I took over, South Korea was the only friendly organised.  My usual tactic is to organise at least three, but we were too late for that.  I had one spot to fit a game in, and very limited potential opponents, but I was sure I wanted an absolute diddy to get my reign off to a good start and dish out a beating.  Pakistan were the lowest ranked side available, so we'll face them in Rome before heading to South Korea, and then on to Qatar.

bjmzubA.png

On the Canadian side, the first steps are no different.  Although it requires slightly more care given that there aren't exactly a million ex-Canadian Internationals hanging around.

1Ps6wtF.png

pU5eUbn.png

In a slight detour, Canada actually have two assistants.  Mauro Biello - of Italian descent, no less - is fairly impressive for this level.  Remko Bicentini...is not.  He's going to be leaving his post.  Biello...well, turns out there really aren't that many options better, so he's allowed to stay.

Where Italy had an enormous backroom team, Canada was a little lacking, so I've added in a few coaches to hopefully give us that edge.  Turns out there's a fair few talented - and unemployed - Canadian coaches out there.

Z1EamYS.png

dg9f9uJ.png

oCIwIht.png

GbpPcma.png

When I arrived our fixtures were already rounded off.  We'll head to Scandinavia to face Norway and Finland, and no space for any extras.  Finland is probably a good choice, a team that should be around our level, but Norway fills me with fear.  Imagine I'll be seeing Haaland's big, golem face a fair bit in those 90 minutes.

We'll kick off the tournament against Germany on the 21st.

The Squads

jt1VzKG.png

oH5PNfa.png

YjEqCXp.png

3tNq47y.png

The Italian squad was largely non-controversial.  Some really big players in there and not too many difficult decisions.  From memory, it's a largely unchanged squad from the one that won Euro 2020 last summer.  The perhaps biggest change is the retirement of captain colossus Giorgio Chiellini.  From soaking up the boos at the Italian anthem in Wembley with a smile, to completely dismantling Jordi Alba's mental state in the semi, Giorgio is basically Italy to me.  However, as we already covered with the assistant search, he has now retired.  That's a big blow, but we're not exactly light on quality at the back.  His grizzled partner Bonucci is in, so we'll still have some continuity.

I think the only other questionable choice is bringing in Moise Kean as an alternative option up front.  I'd imagine Immobile and Belotti will be options 1 and 2, but Kean is versatile enough to play wide as well.  Impressive stats, so hopefully he can do a job.

Is this a good enough squad to bring home the trophy?  Time will tell,

bjmzubA.png

3NU7z7M.png

DeyMnaI.png

tc5prn4.png

Now if the Italian squad largely picked itself, this one was a lot more challenging.  Canada do have some absolute stars - Jonathan David and Alphonso Davies in particular - but those stars are surrounded by...I don't know, moon rocks?  What else floats through space?  Much more time spent pouring over the national pool to try and pick out who would be the best options.

Now the problem that immediately jumps out to me is that our best players are so good that they're essentially the best option in several positions.  Alphonso Davies would basically utter "wide" if he was asked where he can play, as he's easily the best option at DL, WBL, ML, AML and AMR.  Could probably do a job up front too if he had to.  Jonathan David is similar, easily our best striker, next best option at AMR.  But unfortunately we've only got 1 of each, so we'll likely need to pick the best place for them and stick to it.  It's looking like Davies will be best employed at LB, which seemed a waste.  Up front I'm a little worried by, as if you send David out wide, you've got one decent option in Cavallini, and then it's slim pickings.  Which is why I've gone mental and called up two academy players from Toronto.  Think taking baby Wayne Rooney to a tournament, only these are barely even born yet.  They've got impressive stats for their age, but I'm hoping we're not going to be relying on them to pull us out of any danger.  Their upper body strength is awful, and they can barely hold their heads up yet.

Edited by forameuss

The Friendlies

jt1VzKG.png

ucTrII5.png

First up, we had the "assault and battery" stage of our World Cup preparations.  Only, it wasn't so much that, and 6-0 was a little disappointing.  I started out trying to play the sort of game I'd envisaged from the start.  Soaking up pressure and then breaking at breakneck pace, but it quickly became apparent that doing that against such lowly opposition was pretty pointless.  We dominated the game, but trying to break on a team that struggled to get any shots on goal was a bit frustrating to watch.  I switched at half-time to work with a more aggressive pressing system, and we continued to dominate but in different areas of the pitch.  Still, only six goals against this opposition is, basically, pish.  Not much learned, have to say.

bFwBFBB.png

Our second match told us a lot more.  We headed to Seoul and came out with the win after a great first half performance.  I started out with the high-pressing system we ended with against Pakistan, with a fully rotated side to give everyone a run-out.  We switched back to the more cautious one at half-time, and definitely let our foot off the gas.  They threatened to get back into it, but we managed to keep them at arms length to get out with the win.

So what have we learned?  My initial tactical idea was terrible, and we'll likely stay away from that.  Other than that, we learned that we're really quite good.

bjmzubA.pngt.

E2avj0B.png

Well, we stopped Haaland scoring at least...

Unfortunately, we couldn't stop him assisting, as he provided the through ball to Sorloth and the only goal of the game.  I was quite impressed with our first half performance as we carved out a few half-chances while keeping Norway at bay.  The second half was not as impressive though, and we were comfortably beaten, if not by scoreline.  I definitely tried to play a safer system, but starting to think that with the dearth of creativity up top, we might need to be a bit braver (or stupider).

RKDgK3M.png

Yup.  Definitely need to be braver.  Finland were probably the sort of side you want to be beating going into a World Cup.  They'll be at the tournament too, but I'd expect us to put up more of a fight, considering how we initially dealt with Norway.  What seems to be becoming apparent is that the only thing we love more than a foul is a complete lack of creativity.  Very few chances created, and we're probably lucky it was only 1-0.

A lot of questions need answered before the big kick-off on the 21st.

• 3 weeks later...

To celebrate one year to go to the most sports-washing-est of all tournaments, we're kicking off our version.  We've reached 21st November 2022, and it's not a slow start.  Four games at four different times, and certainly some tasty ones.

Gq8bqSK.png

The hosts will make their long-awaited debut at the tournament against Colombia in Group A, whilst across the road (probably literally) in Group B, we have Senegal taking on Brazil and Australia taking on Spain.

But more than that, we have two teams who will be the first to take to the field in a tournament.  Legendary World Cup performers Germany take on Miles Tremblay's Canada.  And that's where we go first.

k1VXbSY.png

GeKVije.png

My thinking here is to try and get as many of our best players into a system as possible.  I suspect that's going to be a pretty terrible idea, but as a tactical idiot at times, I've not got much choice.  We'll be looking to Davies and David to provide inspiration, and after some insipid performances in friendlies, it's much needed.

G4t6KiN.png

Inspiration in attack? No.  Inspiration at the back?  Absolutely.

I'll level, we were awful.  

m6EMGGY.png
DbUc5xY.png

Just look at those stats.  Germany battered us so much that they caused a bug in the clear cut chances count (or maybe they did have 255 of them).  Just two shots for us, none on target, while Germany managed 19 and 9 respectively.  But what we did do was play compact and make sure that, at least in our own half, we did what we had to do.  We win a point, and at least we'll be going back to Canada with something when all's said and done.

xNgkKbr.png

In the other game, there was far more entertainment as Colombia and Qatar shared six goals.  Although they took the lead, Qatar were rarely looking on top.  A crazy 9 first half minutes put them 3-1 down, and it wasn't too much of a contest from there.

5gQH6uF.png

We have Qatar next, which becomes a massive game.  Win that and we'll go into that final match against Colombia with skin in the game.  Realistically, we won't be out of it following that one, but a defeat will almost certainly mean we're going home.

Can we at least get a shot on target though?

m5FO3lm.png

In the other group, it's shocks all over the shop as Senegal shock the World by beating the famous Brazil.  The late, late show too, with Sarr's penalty putting them ahead in the 72nd.  But as 10-man Brazil pressed forward, two injury time goals inflicted a damaging defeat.  Could they come to rue losing by three and not by the one?

Perhaps not, as the other game went against the script too.  A similar performance to ours against Germany (although Australia actually managed to have a shot), but a similar story to Brazil in a way.  Both had men sent off, but unfortunately for the Aussies they just couldn't find a way through.  Group is finely poised now.  Senegal will be hoping to secure their place in the next round against Spain in the next game, while Brazil will be fighting for their lives.

22nd November 2022

So before we get on with the real important stuff about soulless updates on matches not even involving managed teams, I'll bring in a new feature that outlines historic events in football that happened on this day.  It'll be absolutely thrilling I bet.

Footballers are like the rest of us - they don't know when they will make the news...or what that news will be for! When Braintree Town striker Simeon Akinola was travelling to Bromley for a Vanarama National League match he was doubtless thinking of how many goals he would score in this 'man of the match' performance that evening. Reality hit home when he arrived at Bromley's empty Hayes Lane ground - the match was being played 60-odd miles away at Braintree! He managed to get back to the right ground by half-time and made an appearance as a second-half substitute, helping to set-up Braintree's second goal in the 2-2 draw. And then the news people took over!

The day after England's hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008 ended with a 3-2 defeat against Croatia at a soggy Wembley England boss Steve McClaren was christened the 'Wally with a brolly' by the Daily Mail...and was sacked by the FA. McClaren had only been in charge of England for 18 matches. Also sacked was his assistant, Terry Venables.

Clapton Orient – now Leyton Orient – played their first home Division 3 (South) match at their new temporary home – Wembley Stadium! Their own Lea Bridge Road ground had been closed for alterations to be made and on this day in 1930 a Wembley crowd of 8,319 saw them beat Brentford 3-0. Two weeks later they played their second and last League match at Wembley, just 1,916 witnessing a 3-1 victory over Southend.

See?  Absolutely exhilarating.

Anyway.

NWNZGPt.png

Eight more teams make their World Cup 2022 bows on the 2nd day of competition with two of them - Syria and Finland - entering their first ever.  Unfortunately for them, although it was a momentous day, it wasn't going to be a happy one.

First up in the 10am slot, Portugal deservedly won their opening fixture with two second half goals. It looks like a closer game than it ended up being thanks to them scoring so late, but in all honesty, they should have wrapped it up far earlier. More than double the number of shots (19 to 9) and over four times the shots on target (9 to 2). South Korea had more of the ball, but didn't really do a whole lot with it.  

In the lunchtime kick-off, it was a debut to forget for Finland as they put in the sort of performance Canada did against Germany, but without the defensive luck/skill.  Rarely threatening Mexico's goal while their opponents toyed with them.  3-0 slightly flatters them after going down to 10 men.  They'll be looking to that SOuth Korea game for any kind of hope, but with Portugal up next it's not looking too good.

Group D began with Serbia taking on England in a totally boring Europe vs Europe affair.  World Cup isn't for European sides facing each other.  'sakes.  Anyway, this one threatened to actually become quite interesting as FM-World-Cup-Trophy botherers England fell behind in the 3rd minute.  However, of course they came back strong and in the end England had a little too much for them.  It did take until the 80th for them to take the lead though, so maybe they're not as infallible as usual.

The final game of the day threatened to be the big story with Syria taking the lead against Uruguay.   Against the run of play?  Completely. But the deep, deep free kick found Uruguay's defence flat-footed, and the unmarked Kharbin headed in from close range.  They just had to hold out for half-time and anything could happen, but they couldn't manage it.  Suarez poked in from ten yards to level it, and they threatened to run off with it from there.  But somehow the game settled into a pattern of Uruguay probing and Syria holding. It was beginning to look like the Syrians would get a famous point, but their concentration lapsed just for a moment in the 93rd minute.  Arrascaeta was left unmarked at the back-post from a free kick and he smashed a header home to break Syrian hearts.  It's hard to see them getting anything from the remaining two games, but we'll see.

23rd November 2022

So before we get on with the real important stuff about soulless updates on matches not even involving managed teams, I'll bring in a new feature that outlines historic events in football that happened on this day.  It'll be absolutely thrilling I bet.

Tragedy struck Woolwich Arsenal in their fourth Football League season (Woolwich Arsenal became Arsenal in 1914). Full-back Joe Powell suffered a horrific broken arm in a United League match at Kettering Town's North Park ground on November 23rd 1896 with dirt getting into the wound causing blood poisoning and tetanus. His arm had to be amputated but sadly on November 29th the 26-year-old died at his Plumstead home. Joe Powell had joined Woolwich Arsenal in 1892 when the Londoners bought him out of the army. He captained the Woolwich Arsenal side in their first match in the Football League, against Newcastle in September 1893, and had played in 86 of the 98 Football League matches Woolwich Arsenal had played prior to the Kettering fixture.

John Gordon, Scotland's top ref, and linesmen Rollo Kyle and David McCartney were suspended by the Scottish FA after admitting they accepted 'excessive hospitality' from AC Milan before their UEFA Cup tie against Levski Spartak. They had been taken on a shopping trip in Milan to buy gifts the day before the match. AC Milan were fined £8,000 by UEFA.

There have been plenty of stories about Joey Barton over the years with his first headlines coming before he made his senior debut. In fact that was the story! Manchester City manager Kevin Keegan was about to bring on the 20-year-old Barton as a substitute in the Premier League defeat against Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium for what would have been his first team debut. But then Barton discovered that he had lost his shirt! He had left it in the dugout at half time and it seems that a Boro fan had lifted it in his absence - and there was no spare! The rules were that he had to wear a shirt with his squad number - 41 - on it to play and so without that it was Ali Benarbia who Keegan brought on as the sub. Joey Barton had to wait until April 5th 2003 before eventually making his first team debut, against Bolton in the Premier League.

QjoGZlw.png

The 23rd of November was where fun and hope came to die.  Four wins for the favourites, three of which were absolutely dominant.  It's hard to bring any positives for any of the beaten sides, but maybe Iran can take solace in the fact that they've gotten France out of the way early.  But with Netherlands winning big, it's hard to argue that too hard.  For Morocco either.  It's hard to see anything other than a France/Netherlands 1-2.  Only question seems to be what order they come in.

Group F isn't much better, and surely the biggest losers are Jamaica.  France are France, but, no disrespect to Croatia, they're definitely not France.  A 4-0 defeat in the opening game with Argentina still to come probably means it's over for the Reggae Boyz.  Although in terms of biggest losers, would it be Algeria?  They deserved at least a point against Argentina, but their finishing was dreadful.  They paid the price in giving away a soft penalty, which Dybala gratefully converted.  A massive missed opportunity for the Algerians.