Just throwing this out there.

Season starts- everyone is excited.  This is when I would release a game.  Patch as necessary.  

Not 2-3 months into the season when everyone is like mehhhh I'll wait until it's cheaper...

I'd LOVE to buy FM right now.  Been playing since it was CM in the 90s.  Don't care about patches.  You guys do work.  Everyone works.  That's life.  All the EA sports games come out in the Pre- Season of sports and the patch as necessary.  Yeah, less players... Way more graphics.  Everything is roughly equal.

Point is, you'd sell more going now than waiting.  Always been goofy as &%&( to me.

Drinking banter over.  Sure it will be closed and locked. Whatever.  Don't come around here much these days.  Have a good one.

Isn't the reason FM has never been released for the start of the season due to Transfer Windows still being open? If I recall correctly not many (if any) football games are released in August, even FIFA gets an end of September release.

4 hours ago, jase19 said:

Season starts- everyone is excited.  This is when I would release a game.  Patch as necessary.  

Not 2-3 months into the season when everyone is like mehhhh I'll wait until it's cheaper...

I'd LOVE to buy FM right now.  Been playing since it was CM in the 90s.  Don't care about patches.  You guys do work.  Everyone works.  That's life.  All the EA sports games come out in the Pre- Season of sports and the patch as necessary.  Yeah, less players... Way more graphics.  Everything is roughly equal.

Point is, you'd sell more going now than waiting.  Always been goofy as &%&( to me.

Drinking banter over.  Sure it will be closed and locked. Whatever.  Don't come around here much these days.  Have a good one.

The most comparable game, FIFA, isn't out until the 1st of October, which won't be a million miles from when FM22 is likely to arrive.

You want the most complete product possible, and you don't want to have to think about doing an enforced update just a month into release depending on transfer windows.  If they thought that they could make more money by releasing earlier, then they would.  They clearly don't.

Not sure what the throwaway last line was about, I checked his posting history. Never had a post criticising the game hidden but has had a post making a spelling correction hidden.

I think in part SI probably would like to have their game go live the week a season starts. However, it would require shortening the development cycle by around 2 months. From what I remember of my childhood, FIFA have managed to move forward their release date about 3 weeks over the last 15-18 years. I know a mates birthday is October 25th and he got one of the FIFA games the day before his birthday when it came out in the 2000's somewhere between 2002-2005.

It's going to be extremely difficult to reduced the development cycle of a game and very, very few have ever pulled it off. 

There is then the transfer window situation + the fact a lot of stuff like the data/research will actively be getting worked on up until release.

7 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Not sure what the throwaway last line was about, I checked his posting history. Never had a post criticising the game hidden but has had a post making a spelling correction hidden.

I think in part SI probably would like to have their game go live the week a season starts. However, it would require shortening the development cycle by around 2 months. From what I remember of my childhood, FIFA have managed to move forward their release date about 3 weeks over the last 15-18 years. I know a mates birthday is October 25th and he got one of the FIFA games the day before his birthday when it came out in the 2000's somewhere between 2002-2005.

It's going to be extremely difficult to reduced the development cycle of a game and very, very few have ever pulled it off. 

There is then the transfer window situation + the fact a lot of stuff like the data/research will actively be getting worked on up until release.

On that, I guess they'd only be reducing the cycle once.  After that, you're back to a year. Of course, that still makes that year significantly more difficult and leaves you playing catch-up.

Just now, forameuss said:

On that, I guess they'd only be reducing the cycle once.  After that, you're back to a year. Of course, that still makes that year significantly more difficult and leaves you playing catch-up.

I thought that at first, but given that showstopping and major issues aside the typical "active public support" phase is Game Release -> XX.3 with presumably more resources switching to the next title then. 

If instead live support begins 2-3 months earlier then that is still required every year, it adds a completely different dynamic.

Given the game starts in late June when a lot of the transfers hadn't yet happened, IMO it's wrong that the players are already transferred, at least at whichever club the player takes over.