Retro databases

Lexis

I'm just really curious, why isn't SI providing more support in terms of retro databases?

- Most of the recent databases could probably be ported relatively easily between versions. With some amount of work to potentially fill gaps, etc, I wouldn't imagine this would be too hard. I imagine the older DBs could potentially be ported as well with some massive JSON export or similar and then the newer editor filling in blanks.

- Add the feature of "programming" regens coming through up to whatever point we desire, with the attributes we want, etc. This exists in a very limited way but would be simple to add it as a more fleshed out feature.

Why are we not taking a page out of Blizzard's book? They've been adamant against classic for so long, up until the point they did it and it's been a huge success.

If SI provides the "framework" for the community to do this, in ways that are more efficient than what is currently possible (think editor performance, etc), then that burdain can be left on the community with minimal to possibly no official support from SI.

You can only gain new players / added retention from such a move. 

54 minutes ago, FrazT said:

SI will undoubtedly tell you that the resources they have are limited and those that they have are working on FM 22 to make that game better.

I am not asking for some sort of continuous support that would increase their overhead, rather some sort of framework that is low maintenance and a one-off effort.

Not sure what the licensing issue would be?

2 hours ago, Lexis said:

I am not asking for some sort of continuous support that would increase their overhead, rather some sort of framework that is low maintenance and a one-off effort.

Not sure what the licensing issue would be?

They can't physically sell a previous version when the new one comes out as far as I'm aware.  In a world where you have to actually pay to get the correct ordering of fixtures, I'd turn it around and ask what the licensing issue wouldn't be?

Ultimately this is something that is likely far harder than even initially meets the eye (and I would see significant complexities on the surface).  Plus they already give you the means to recreate an older database.  Fire up the editor and spend the next few years doing it, and there you go.  

55 minutes ago, forameuss said:

They can't physically sell a previous version when the new one comes out as far as I'm aware.  In a world where you have to actually pay to get the correct ordering of fixtures, I'd turn it around and ask what the licensing issue wouldn't be?

Ultimately this is something that is likely far harder than even initially meets the eye (and I would see significant complexities on the surface).  Plus they already give you the means to recreate an older database.  Fire up the editor and spend the next few years doing it, and there you go.  

There are a lot of reported limitations with the editor, including significant performance issues past a number of edits. 

I'm not even saying give us official out of the box retro databases.

I'm merely saying create a framework for the community to ensure the process is smoother.

- Better editor performance

- Ability to import previous DBs and give you a starting point at least, etc.

- Ability to import parts of previous DBs (eg only import players, only import clubs, etc). Assist with autogenerating dependencies where required.

Give the community power. In the end, it is serving your own product. Look at what Skyrim achieved. Look at WoW with the Classic and now BC Runs. You are doing a service to your own game.

Edited by Lexis

Just to confirm that licenses for teams, leagues, player pictures and image rights, fixtures etc that are time fixed have always been a massive constraint in any consideration of doing anything to the game retrospectively.  I am not suggesting that improvements to the editor are not needed or wanted, but the license issue has always been a large stumbling block for SI/SEGA

• 1 month later...

There is a game in steam related to this topic. It starts from 1888/89 season until 1998/99 season and only English leagues available (Other top European leagues would be added too but now the project in abandoned unfortunately.) Anyway. Let me continue please. You can start the game any year you want. For example when you start from year 1900/01, all final league standings until that year have real scores and from the beginning of 1900/01 season you are about to change the history. Also there are some events that causes football not to be played is in the game. Another thing, for example when  English 2nd league is founded, it is activated in game at the same year. Long story short I wish I could see this kind of depth with retro db in FM.