Underlapping IW

I currently have a chelsea save where i try to make my own 3-4-3 (5-2-3 WB Wide) with inspiration from tuchels system. IRL Mount often drifts into the left side of the pitch in early build up, and then moving either inside or up the flank when Chilwell takes the wide position. If Chilwell gets the ball on the flank, Mount or Werner often make an underlapping run for Chilwell to pass the ball into.

In game use Mount as an IW (s) and Chilwell as an WB (s).

Is there a way to replicate this pattern in FM?

If i use the TI Underlap left, will it then make Chilwell underlap Mount?

Edited by Oluf

In contrast to the overlap instruction, the underlap doesn't wait on someone to make a move, it just increases the likelihood of the widest player trying to find someone making a run on the inside, either the winger, wing-back or a midfielder.

With those roles, it'll be difficult for Chilwell to underlap Mount. For that to happen, Mount should be a W/WM/DW and Chilwell a IWB.

To replicate Chelsea's pattern is not easy. Probably with a mix of Early Crosses, Underlap and Pass Into Space.

The Underlap TI doesn't make anyone perform underlapping runs. It increases fullback mentality, decreases mentality of the wideman in CM/AM strata and is also sometimes hold up the ball to look for runs being made on the inside.

Role selection and the resulting space on the pitch is more important. Even if Mount picks the ball up wide and there is space for an underlapping run though I'm not confident a WB(Su) would look to exploit it. An IWB or Complete WB would be better suited to the task IMO

3 hours ago, lfds89 said:

In contrast to the overlap instruction, the underlap doesn't wait on someone to make a move, it just increases the likelihood of the widest player trying to find someone making a run on the inside, either the winger, wing-back or a midfielder.

With those roles, it'll be difficult for Chilwell to underlap Mount. For that to happen, Mount should be a W/WM/DW and Chilwell a IWB.

To replicate Chelsea's pattern is not easy. Probably with a mix of Early Crosses, Underlap and Pass Into Space.

So if Chilwell is on WB (s) with stay wider PI and Mount is an inverted winger (s) with stay narrower PI, then Mount will underlap?

3 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

The Underlap TI doesn't make anyone perform underlapping runs. It increases fullback mentality, decreases mentality of the wideman in CM/AM strata and is also sometimes hold up the ball to look for runs being made on the inside.

Role selection and the resulting space on the pitch is more important. Even if Mount picks the ball up wide and there is space for an underlapping run though I'm not confident a WB(Su) would look to exploit it. An IWB or Complete WB would be better suited to the task IMO

Sorry if I confused you with my question, but I want Mount to underlap. So I have Mount on IW (s) duty, with stay narrower PI. So Chilwell can hold the width, and if he gets the ball then Mount will make an underlapping run for Chilwell so pass into.

This is all supposition, so apologies, but I've always associated overlaps and underlaps to be related to runners from behind the play (e.g. deeper than the player in possession).  This might make it very difficult to get an inverted winger to be the underlapping player.

To get what you want, I think you might need to give Chilwell an attacking mentality to encourage him to be further up the pitch. Stay Wider makes sense, and possibly Take More Risks, too.  Having Mount as a Trequartista might help, as I think it might be the only wide position which allows Move Into Channels PI, which is ultimately what your animation is showing.  Adding Stay Narrower and Cut Inside With Ball might help him retain some of that IW style.

16 minutes ago, Geoff Newman said:

This is all supposition, so apologies, but I've always associated overlaps and underlaps to be related to runners from behind the play (e.g. deeper than the player in possession).  This might make it very difficult to get an inverted winger to be the underlapping player.

To get what you want, I think you might need to give Chilwell an attacking mentality to encourage him to be further up the pitch. Stay Wider makes sense, and possibly Take More Risks, too.  Having Mount as a Trequartista might help, as I think it might be the only wide position which allows Move Into Channels PI, which is ultimately what your animation is showing.  Adding Stay Narrower and Cut Inside With Ball might help him retain some of that IW style.

Thanks for the reply, im trying to implement a high press and if Mount is used as an Trequartista wouldn't it decrease his pressing? Same with Havertz on the other side, he is an AP (A).

1 hour ago, Oluf said:

Sorry if I confused you with my question, but I want Mount to underlap. So I have Mount on IW (s) duty, with stay narrower PI. So Chilwell can hold the width, and if he gets the ball then Mount will make an underlapping run for Chilwell so pass into.

Try Chillwell on WB(A) and Mount on IF(Su) with roam from position. An IF in general will move central earlier than an IW does, thus more likely to be in those positions you seem to want. That's a starting point anyway.

7 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Try Chillwell on WB(A) and Mount on IF(Su) with roam from position. An IF in general will move central earlier than an IW does, thus more likely to be in those positions you seem to want. That's a starting point anyway.

Thanks!