I need a third-choice GK for Man United

longdon

It’ll soon be winter transfer window of the 2021/22 season, and I need a back up goalkeeper for David De Gea and Dean Henderson.

Any ideas?

Edited by longdon

• longdon changed the title to I need a third-choice GK for Man United
1 hour ago, longdon said:

It’ll soon be winter transfer window of the 2021/22 season, and I need a back up goalkeeper for David De Gea and Dean Henderson.

Any ideas?

Tom Heaton, Ben Foster or Sam Johnstone who would also be classed as Home Grown as well.

Aren't Joel Perriera or Sivar not good enough to be 3rd choice ?

22 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Tom Heaton, Ben Foster or Sam Johnstone who would also be classed as Home Grown as well.

Aren't Joel Perriera or Sivar not good enough to be 3rd choice ?

I went and bought Tom Heaton from Aston Villa for £1.1m as an emergency back-up before looking at this post. Great minds think alike. 

Thanks.

On 16/05/2021 at 12:23, silentwars said:

Tim Ronning - Should be cheap and young enough to develop. 

Model Citizen too - was back up/tutor for me for over a decade and never moaned once.

On 16/05/2021 at 12:23, silentwars said:

Tim Ronning - Should be cheap and young enough to develop. 

Tom Heaton retired not long after I signed him, so I'm on the lookout for a new third-choice goalkeeper. I searched for Tim Ronning's name and nothing came up!?

Also, just before the transfer window shut, I was all set to buy Sam Johnstone from WBA for £10m and he was delighted to be my emergency back-up, but the deal went through as WBA couldn't find a replacement. Now they want £40m for him!? Jokers.

Edited by longdon

8 hours ago, longdon said:

Tom Heaton retired not long after I signed him, so I'm on the lookout for a new third-choice goalkeeper. I searched for Tim Ronning's name and nothing came up!?

Also, just before the transfer window shut, I was all set to buy Sam Johnstone from WBA for £10m and he was delighted to be my emergency back-up, but the deal went through as WBA couldn't find a replacement. Now they want £40m for him!? Jokers.

He plays in Sweden so might not be in your database if you haven't got the Swedish leagues loaded.

Given my third keeper in any save barely ever makes an appearance, I wouldn't spend any serious money. There may not be many half decent out of contract players available mid season but I'd just find an ageing keeper happy to be an emergency backup for a couple of seasons who wouldn't cost much. Someone like Hart or Ben Foster?

11 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Given my third keeper in any save barely ever makes an appearance, I wouldn't spend any serious money. There may not be many half decent out of contract players available mid season but I'd just find an ageing keeper happy to be an emergency backup for a couple of seasons who wouldn't cost much. Someone like Hart or Ben Foster?

In the end I bought Sergio Asenjo from Villarreal for around £10m. A bit steep for a third-choice goalkeeper but he's a decent goalkeeper and is happy being an emergency back-up.