Reading team stats.

When it comes to the team stats on the 'League' page, how do you read them?

For example, I am bottom of the 'Tackles Won' page with 95 (compared to Tottenham's 204). However, I am top of the 'Tackles Won %' with 88%.

Also, despite being bottom of 'Tackles Won' I am top of 'Interceptions' with 117 and have only faced 26 shots which also puts me top of that  table (compared to second placed Chelsea with 46). I also have  6 clean sheets in 7 games.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "reading" the stats, do you want to deduce areas of improvements of your team or do you want to just know if it's "good" or not ?

Tackles won are the flat number of tackles you won. Tackles % is this number compared to the total number of tackles attempted. So low "Tackles Won" with high tackles% means your team doesn't need to tackle too much but when they do, they do it well. My guess they don't need to tackle because you either control possession or win possession by pressing and intercepting weak passes.

Low number of shots conceded is always good obviously. Clean sheets are good too. Everything's looking fine to me. It's hard to say more than that without more context.

38 minutes ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "reading" the stats, do you want to deduce areas of improvements of your team or do you want to just know if it's "good" or not ?

Tackles won are the flat number of tackles you won. Tackles % is this number compared to the total number of tackles attempted. So low "Tackles Won" with high tackles% means your team doesn't need to tackle too much but when they do, they do it well. My guess they don't need to tackle because you either control possession or win possession by pressing and intercepting weak passes.

Low number of shots conceded is always good obviously. Clean sheets are good too. Everything's looking fine to me. It's hard to say more than that without more context.

Yeah, basically. I know, on one of his videos, @Rashidisaid that he likes players who can intercept and looks for that when looking for defensive players (I believe). I mean, obviously, I want to improve my team. That's the idea right?

This isn't a "What can I do to improve my tactic?" post though, more of a "How can the team stats help me improve?" if that makes any sense?

• Administrators

There's the old adage that the best defenders never tackle. 

Stats are very difficult to interpret as a direct comparative tool - there's a lot of other factors to take into account to build context, such as your own strength of possession. A team with possession stats in the 60%+ range are now doubt going to have a lot less tackles or interceptions than teams who rarely hold onto the ball. 

It's always best to try and consider things as part of the wider picture. You've said yourself you've faced less shots than most teams and have a high rate of interceptions, both of which suggest your team is doing well on the defensive front. 

Some managers find value in every stat, others pick and choose for things they're specifically interested in. It's a learning experience for you as a manager to try and cut through the noise to find what's important for you and the style you're trying to implement.