Training Sessions Before Matches?

Hi. As you can imagine, with a congested calendar, we need to plan training sessions properly, so players are skilled but also fit.

Any tips for optimal training sessions the day before a match? Should I just leave it blank, or schedule something light - if so, what are light sessions?... (See image below).

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Regards from Chicago.

image.png.5ccd72f2cc2a00118563405157f02698.png

I always pack mine, but choose light sessions, those that doesnt add too much on the intensity under each day (more tactics, less physical).

I would just add another light blue or set piece the day before everton on the blank space.

I'd personally use the match Prep training here - Attacking Movement\Defensive shape. Both actually train players on individual roles, which will train the attribute for the roles they play in, or you are training them. They are very light sessions as well

I'd also move the attacking fre kicks to the empty slot vs Everton, as post a busy schedule, I'd be loking at Travel, Recovery (Reduces injury risk), Match review (Only if needed for tacitical familiarity)

image.png.7b7a217fead7cf3f758ec50ce1aebcbe.png

This is my standard Champions League style training. If those game are closer, I'll remove Thursdays. The bar at the bottom shows the training load post match.

BTW, My Tacial Familiarity is Maxed (Same tactic\Team for 2nd Season), Hence why i have no match review - my players need the rest as i fill all 3 slts on main training weeks

Edited by plcarlos
Trainig image added.

1 hour ago, Cam NBH said:

Does anyone give full rest days? I have been trying to give one every week.

If you rotate your squad you shouldn't need to. Similar to plcarlos above, I go lightish during those month long runs of two-a-week matches, but I like the more generic set piece delivery one, to attacking corners. Especially when you are playing a team you know is going to kick you a lot and/or you will get down the wings and have lots of blocked crosses, working on set pieces/corners is a must IMHO.

Edited by CaptCanuck

8 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

If you rotate your squad you shouldn't need to. Similar to plcarlos above, I go lightish during those month long runs of two-a-week matches, but I like the more generic set piece delivery one, to attacking corners. Especially when you are playing a team you know is going to kick you a lot and/or you will get down the wings and have lots of blocked crosses, working on set pieces/corners is a must IMHO.

Thanks mate

On 31/03/2021 at 22:22, plcarlos said:

I'd personally use the match Prep training here - Attacking Movement\Defensive shape. Both actually train players on individual roles, which will train the attribute for the roles they play in, or you are training them. They are very light sessions as well

I'd also move the attacking fre kicks to the empty slot vs Everton, as post a busy schedule, I'd be loking at Travel, Recovery (Reduces injury risk), Match review (Only if needed for tacitical familiarity)

image.png.7b7a217fead7cf3f758ec50ce1aebcbe.png

This is my standard Champions League style training. If those game are closer, I'll remove Thursdays. The bar at the bottom shows the training load post match.

BTW, My Tacial Familiarity is Maxed (Same tactic\Team for 2nd Season), Hence why i have no match review - my players need the rest as i fill all 3 slts on main training weeks

I would add Match Review after the recovery session after the match days.

On 31/03/2021 at 20:59, phd_angel said:

Hi. As you can imagine, with a congested calendar, we need to plan training sessions properly, so players are skilled but also fit.

Any tips for optimal training sessions the day before a match? Should I just leave it blank, or schedule something light - if so, what are light sessions?... (See image below).

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Regards from Chicago.

image.png.5ccd72f2cc2a00118563405157f02698.png

Depends on my goals. If I want to maximize my chances of winning then I focus on match preparation and I don't do any other type of training. So, taking your example after the Maribor game:

Day 1: Travel // Match Tactics // Teamwork

Day 2: Def. Shape // Att. Movement // Match Preview

But I also rotate my squad a lot.

If, for instance, the Everton game is for a Cup you are not very interested in or is a game you think you have no chance on winning then:

Day 1: Travel // Possession // Tactical

Day 2: Play from the Back // Chance Creation/Conversion // Goalkeeping (lower fitness impact for outfield players, but they develop Individual Roles they are assigned)

These can change based on your playing style.