Jump to content

Crossing the Mediterranean - an African journeyman out to de-throne PSG (eventually)


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, 13th Man said:

New to this thread, but it's been a fun ride and a good concept.  I'm almost annoyed that I didn't wait another bit for you to finish out the season before I caught up...I need to know how this title race ends!

Good to see your 4-2-2-2 working so well on the whole.  It's a formation I really like in theory, but have never gotten to work. I like the look of yours though, so I might take a closer look and take some elements the next time I want to run something like that.  Lots of TI's but they make sense so it works!

Thank you for your kind words!

Yes I don't usually play a 4-4-2 either, but since Lens had 2 really good strikers when I came in, it seemed logical (after the 3-5-2 was not very successful). 

I have actually finished the season, and will hopefully be able to write it up tomorrow!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work, karanhsingh. Glad to see that "Ganagooooaaaaal" is still with RCL and banging them in even when you took over in 2025. I started up a save with RCL beginning in the present instead of the future, and he's been immense for me as well. Won Top Scorer in Ligue 1 and also the European Golden Shoe in the first season, though TBF he played every game, as I didn't have any decent backup for him. Is still going strong for me in 2024, where my save is now, and is a star for Cameroon. Varane still has no interest in returning yet, though. 

Am hoping to get RCL to the Champions League and the top of Ligue 1 in my save, trying to use as many current RCL Lens players or returning Lens HG as possible, and all without any regens, and am updating it in the French football thread that RonaldoBeckham started in another forum. RCL is such a fun team to manage, with their youth academy and their finances guaranteeing a competitive base for many years.

Looking forward to your updates, thanks

Edited by strangerthankindness
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, strangerthankindness said:

Great work, karanhsingh. Glad to see that "Ganagooooaaaaal" is still with RCL and banging them in even when you took over in 2025. I started up a save with RCL beginning in the present instead of the future, and he's been immense for me as well. Won Top Scorer in Ligue 1 and also the European Golden Shoe in the first season, though TBF he played every game, as I didn't have any decent backup for him. Is still going strong for me in 2024, where my save is now, and is a star for Cameroon. Varane still has no interest in returning yet, though. 

Am hoping to get RCL to the Champions League and the top of Ligue 1 in my save, trying to use as many current RCL Lens players or returning Lens HG as possible, and all without any regens, and am updating it in the French football thread that RonaldoBeckham started in another forum. RCL is such a fun team to manage, with their youth academy and their finances guaranteeing a competitive base for many years.

Looking forward to your updates, thanks

Thank you! Indeed it is a very fun club to manage. I got lucky with some amazing youth come through as well. Will check out your progress in the French thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

April 2027

seismic month. With probably the biggest result in the history of the club.

spacer.png

I don't know how we did, but we have done the double over PSG. The fact that Mbappe missed a penalty, makes me even happier! And the last minute winner of course.

It came from academy boy Genteuil, who has just become yet another "wonderkid" from the Lens youth system.

spacer.png

Here is how the rest of the month turned out.

spacer.png

Perfect in the league, but we have an uphill battle to get through to the finals of the Europa league now.

spacer.png

We should do it from here. PSG have dropped 5 points in the last one month, and we have dropped none. Even with our tough final 4 games, we should be picking up the 7 points we need to bring the title home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MAY 2027 - the final stretch

Could we hold our nerve - that was the question. Of course we also had a massive second leg in Europe against Everton coming up.

spacer.png

We sadly crashed out at Goodison, but back home, we did it!! Challenge complete :) 

What a season, and what a way to cap it all off

spacer.png

We won the title at Rennes, and we then got an (imaginary) guard of honour at the home of our rivals Lille in the last game.

spacer.png

The PSG era is officially over (at least for now).

spacer.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

The final squad stats from a truly memorable season:

spacer.png

Special shout-outs for the following players:

Ignatius Ganago(al) - top scorer for the second season running, this guy just goes on delivering. Is now recognized as a club icon as well.

Marcus Tacalfred - what a super loan signing the young Frenchman was! The perfect foil for Ganago in the DLF role, and actually matched his goal output as well.

Sofiane Diop - our best creator playing as IW on the left flank, finished the season with 13 goals and a whopping 22 assists.

Adolphe Toukam - completing the front 4, the Lens youth product really came into his own this season and I think scored the most crucial goals for us. Finishes 3rd top scorer behind the strikers.

Jourie and Seck were both excellent at the back, and even Varane played some important games for us. Diallo really stepped up as RWB and I think will definitely be the next wonderkid from the Lens academy line. And finally I must mention the Serbian wonderkid Stevanovic in goal who has blossomed into one of the best keepers in the world and saved us on countless occasions.

In review I must also say that we definitely got very lucky this season - you need luck if you are going to take on the might of PSG. I think somehow the game reserved our good luck for the league and dished out the bad luck to us in other competitions, as we undeservedly went out to Everton in Europe and St. Etienne in the Cup.

But that is absolutely fine because the Ligue 1 title is what I wanted all along!

And a nice little bonus for the manager as well :D

spacer.png 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With that I will be putting this save on hold, as the primary objective has now been accomplished. It's been a really fun ride, I thought it would take 8-10 seasons but somehow managed it in 7. Journeyman saves are indeed a lot of fun and I would wholly recommend others to give it a shot!

Thank you to everyone who has followed, read and commented on the thread. I truly appreciate it.

For now I have started a new adventure with Wigan to try and take them from League One to Champions League football (while I still can ;) ) - will be posting about it in the EFL thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

With that I will be putting this save on hold, as the primary objective has now been accomplished. It's been a really fun ride, I thought it would take 8-10 seasons but somehow managed it in 7. Journeyman saves are indeed a lot of fun and I would wholly recommend others to give it a shot!

Thank you to everyone who has followed, read and commented on the thread. I truly appreciate it.

For now I have started a new adventure with Wigan to try and take them from League One to Champions League football (while I still can ;) ) - will be posting about it in the EFL thread.

I am probably just going to stay with FM21....and play old fashioned "Football" going forward.

 

I am giving up on Liverpool and anything owned by FSG if I can....I know my refusal to watch ANY of their teams will hurt me more than them but it is the principle of it.

At Least I have the New England Revolution!

That will probably be my next save now!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2021 at 18:54, Hootieleece said:

I am probably just going to stay with FM21....and play old fashioned "Football" going forward.

I am giving up on Liverpool and anything owned by FSG if I can....I know my refusal to watch ANY of their teams will hurt me more than them but it is the principle of it.

At Least I have the New England Revolution!

That will probably be my next save now!

 

Luckily that didn't last long LOL

6 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Well done! Congrats on the title!!! Glad it all came together and you pulled through!

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...