Crossing the Mediterranean - an African journeyman out to de-throne PSG (eventually)

Posted (edited)

WELCOME TO RC LENS

spacer.png

I have inherited a good squad, certainly stronger than the one we had at Auxerre.

spacer.png

The two star players we have right now:

spacer.png

Kalimuendo actually finished top scorer in Ligue 1 last year in my save, ahead of even Mbappe. He is a former PSG player which makes it even better. Hoping to get the best out of him.

spacer.png

Oceano is a Lens youth product who looks absolutely phenomenal. First order of business was tying him down to a new 5+1 year contract.

Tactically I am going to do it different now, and play a 3-5-2 formation (at least I would like to). This is the formation the club played under the previous manager so the squad seems fairly suited to it too. I am hoping that I can develop a successful one.

spacer.png

@SixPointerlet me know if you have any tips as I know you have been playing something similar at Odd!

Edited by karanhsingh
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And one final post before I officially get into the new season. The transfers first.

spacer.png

The ones until Parmienter were under previous management. I am actually unhappy about the Balikwisha move because he was simply not needed and is now the most highly paid player in the squad. Which is an issue as we were 50k over wage budget when I joined, and I had to stage a bit of a clear-out as you can see.

Happily I was able to get Seck from Auxerre, he will hopefully be a key player for both club & country for me. No dice with Diomande though, will have to try again later. Although we are well stacked in the AMC position anyway.

The finances are a bit of a mess, due to the high wage bill which will need further work. The only way we survive is to start qualifying for Europe regularly.

spacer.png

Strong ticket sales have alleviated the immediate situation though - Lens are known for a passionate fan base and I look forward to some packed houses at the Stade Bollaert-Delelis.

spacer.png

spacer.png

RC Lens has the Foundation to be great as shown by @smp20 last year, but it will take good scouting and transfer luck to truly challenge your hate list.

Good Luck!

May the Force be with You....

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

spacer.png

@SixPointerlet me know if you have any tips as I know you have been playing something similar at Odd!

Ehh. Really depends on what you want to achieve. What’s the game plan to me your looking for to play aggressive fast attacking football then have 3 playmaking roles it overkill.

I certainly wouldn’t be playing a DLP when I have a libero on attack. Just going to clog the same place. Possibly a carr(s) to cover for your very attacking RWB.

Do you have a good libero it’s a demanding role and takes a certain player if you don’t have it I wouldn’t force it into the system. Your wonderkid is more suited to a BPD. Low dribbling low off the ball and low vision not saying he might nail it but to me prefer to convert a DLP if am using it.

I don’t like having two forwards on the same duties if am only playing a two. And definitely not the same role. No variation. But you do need runners for your AP.

but like everything I do trial and error is best. There is no hard rules for the game it’s flexible and there is so many things that come into play. Gameplan, players available, player traits, opponents. So without having all your info I can only really make light suggestions. 

give it ago and try things just don’t change much at once. And btw the shadow striker is lethal this year 😉

10 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Ehh. Really depends on what you want to achieve. What’s the game plan to me your looking for to play aggressive fast attacking football then have 3 playmaking roles it overkill.

I certainly wouldn’t be playing a DLP when I have a libero on attack. Just going to clog the same place. Possibly a carr(s) to cover for your very attacking RWB.

Do you have a good libero it’s a demanding role and takes a certain player if you don’t have it I wouldn’t force it into the system. Your wonderkid is more suited to a BPD. Low dribbling low off the ball and low vision not saying he might nail it but to me prefer to convert a DLP if am using it.

I don’t like having two forwards on the same duties if am only playing a two. And definitely not the same role. No variation. But you do need runners for your AP.

but like everything I do trial and error is best. There is no hard rules for the game it’s flexible and there is so many things that come into play. Gameplan, players available, player traits, opponents. So without having all your info I can only really make light suggestions.

give it ago and try things just don’t change much at once. And btw the shadow striker is lethal this year 😉

Thanks for the feedback. The plan is to play a balanced style really, not too direct because I don't want to end up only counter attacking, but not too patient either.

So far have 10 points from 4 games so it's a good start. However I have seen the issue with the DLP & Libero already. They do get in each others way. I may change the Libero to a BPD instead.

I have been trying one forward on CF(s) and one as AF(a) but it's not working so far. For some reason I have not managed to get the CF or DLF role working at all. Have you found the same?

Not utilized a shadow striker yet, although I could give it a shot. Maybe an AP(s), SS(a) and AF(a)?

Btw I was meaning to ask, how does the Overload work in your 343 and 352 formations, can you explain it? I would like to do something similar here.

Just dropped into this one as I saw you had a topic (and you have of course poked your head into my topic on multiple occasions!)

A fun read, love how you've dotted yourself around the globe so far, both domestically and internationally. Really interesting that you decided to turn down the France job, but fair play for wanting to see through what you'd already started.

Will keep an eye on this one, good stuff!

Thanks for the feedback. The plan is to play a balanced style really, not too direct because I don't want to end up only counter attacking, but not too patient either.

So far have 10 points from 4 games so it's a good start. However I have seen the issue with the DLP & Libero already. They do get in each others way. I may change the Libero to a BPD instead.

I have been trying one forward on CF(s) and one as AF(a) but it's not working so far. For some reason I have not managed to get the CF or DLF role working at all. Have you found the same?

Not utilized a shadow striker yet, although I could give it a shot. Maybe an AP(s), SS(a) and AF(a)?

Btw I was meaning to ask, how does the Overload work in your 343 and 352 formations, can you explain it? I would like to do something similar here.

I have the DLF working in both systems. He’s mainly used to drag defenders deep and join in the overload. 

in both systems its similar just opposite sides. 

in the 3412 I use a wb(s) RPM(s) on the right with the dlf on the right. This makes up my overload. With the focus play down the right added. I then have the overlap left with a wing back (a) and the poacher on the left of the three to exploit. Along with the shadow striker attacking the space vacated by the DLF. 
in the 343 much they same but the overload is down the left with the dlf. And the shadow striker is pushed on and now plays as a PF on the right of the 3. 

2 hours ago, Rumple43 said:

Just dropped into this one as I saw you had a topic (and you have of course poked your head into my topic on multiple occasions!)

A fun read, love how you've dotted yourself around the globe so far, both domestically and internationally. Really interesting that you decided to turn down the France job, but fair play for wanting to see through what you'd already started.

Will keep an eye on this one, good stuff!

Thank you bud, appreciate it! Are you doing a new save on FM21?

40 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I have the DLF working in both systems. He’s mainly used to drag defenders deep and join in the overload. 

in both systems its similar just opposite sides. 

in the 3412 I use a wb(s) RPM(s) on the right with the dlf on the right. This makes up my overload. With the focus play down the right added. I then have the overlap left with a wing back (a) and the poacher on the left of the three to exploit. Along with the shadow striker attacking the space vacated by the DLF. 
in the 343 much they same but the overload is down the left with the dlf. And the shadow striker is pushed on and now plays as a PF on the right of the 3. 

Got it, seems interesting. For me though both my AMCs are more suited to an AP rather than an SS role. 

The 3-5-2 experiment hit a bit of a road block with some poor results, in the last game we found ourselves 2-1 down at home to the team bottom of the league, switched to a 4-4-2 at HT and won the game 3-2 eventually.

However I do plan on persisting with it. Though there is no doubt in my mind now it's much easier to get a 433 or 4231 working.

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Thank you bud, appreciate it! Are you doing a new save on FM21?

I'm not. My FM20 career will be continuing and I have no plans to upgrade, so you can look forward to seeing where I end up next!

Got it, seems interesting. For me though both my AMCs are more suited to an AP rather than an SS role. 

The 3-5-2 experiment hit a bit of a road block with some poor results, in the last game we found ourselves 2-1 down at home to the team bottom of the league, switched to a 4-4-2 at HT and won the game 3-2 eventually.

However I do plan on persisting with it. Though there is no doubt in my mind now it's much easier to get a 433 or 4231 working.

Yeah definitely easier to get them working because like in real life there more common and are the in tactics right now. Probably easiest ones to balance. 

1 hour ago, Rumple43 said:

I'm not. My FM20 career will be continuing and I have no plans to upgrade, so you can look forward to seeing where I end up next!

Sounds good, will keep an eye out!

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Yeah definitely easier to get them working because like in real life there more common and are the in tactics right now. Probably easiest ones to balance. 

Agreed 

This Works for me....I look for Speed/Pace at the Edges of the formation.....Front, back, wings, 

I have also retrained Winger/Strikers as midfielders CM-A's

Also I tend to like tall players.....no one is under 5'9" (172cm) CB's all  6'0" (180 cm) or above....

sstAQZ.jpg

The Starting AF has a speed/pace of 17 which scares back lines and draws markers and the F9 occupies other CB's drawing them out of position. (F9 has pace of 13)

Look for players with good pace and decisions. Anticipation and off the ball movement will only make it more lethal. Also all midfielders have risky passes pi and Killer balls ppm

8 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

This Works for me....I look for Speed/Pace at the Edges of the formation.....Front, back, wings, 

I have also retrained Winger/Strikers as midfielders CM-A's

Also I tend to like tall players.....no one is under 5'9" (172cm) CB's all  6'0" (180 cm) or above....

sstAQZ.jpg

The Starting AF has a speed/pace of 17 which scares back lines and draws markers and the F9 occupies other CB's drawing them out of position. (F9 has pace of 13)

Look for players with good pace and decisions. Anticipation and off the ball movement will only make it more lethal. Also all midfielders have risky passes pi and Killer balls ppm

Thanks, it is similar to my setup and a lot of it makes logical sense. However I think I am putting my 352 experiment on hold (at least for the time being), and trying out a 442. 

CROSSING THE MEDITERRANEAN - RC LENS - 2025/26 MID-TERM REPORT

I can't really complain about how things have gone so far. We have been solid enough without being spectacular, and are definitely in the running for a European place. I didn't realize when I promised the Board this that it meant a top 5 finish in France, so the pressure is definitely on. Here are the fixtures so far.

spacer.png

And the league table at the half-way stage. No surprise to see PSG at the top. What is good to see of course is a Lens player topping the scoring charts again, although it is Ganago this time.

spacer.png

The last game before the break was VERY frustrating. I can't believe we threw it away - Lyon we WILL have our revenge soon.

spacer.png

And to make matters worse, we also just exited the French Cup on penalties against arch-rivals Lille. Kalimuendo hit the post in stoppage time for us as well. Welcome to the hate list, Lille.

spacer.png

Transfers, finances & more

The Jan window saw one big sale, as Nuno Santos was shipped off to Saudi Arabia for 10 million. The fans questioned the move especially as no replacement was brought in, but the money has been duly invested in developing the training & youth facilities, as also boosting youth recruitment & junior coaching.

The other Portuguese in the squad, Miguel Silva, also left the club for Spurs as he wanted a new challenge. His replacement in goal is one I am pretty excited about. 

spacer.png

Stevanovic seems to have all the ingredients in place to become a really top class keeper. He also becomes the first non French/African signing of the save. My top target was an Algerian keeper who sadly went to PSG. I will continue with the transfer policy of favoring players of African heritage, however exceptions will need to be made for quality talent if we are to seriously challenge the might of PSG.

The youth intake preview has also arrived and it looks promising. There are already a number of Lens academy boys in the squad and hopefully we can add to that.

spacer.png

CROSSING THE MEDITERRANEAN - SENEGAL WORLD CUP QUALIFICATION CAMPAIGN

I must say that managing the Senegalese team has already been a lot of fun. At the time of my appointment, they had 1 point from 2 games and looked set to miss yet another world cup. Fortunately, I managed to convince both Sadio Mane and Kalidou Koulibaly to come out of retirement. That would be key.

We needed 1st place in the group to guarantee qualification, or at least 2nd place to have a shot. Here are the results.

spacer.png

Yes, we absolutely smashed it! Tunisia I always expected us to beat, but very impressed with the wins over Egypt and Cameroon.

spacer.png

And so, I will be participating at WC 2026!

spacer.png

We will be facing the current champions (no, really) England at the group stage, but we should be able to get past China and make our way into the knock-outs at the very least.

Senegal have a strong albeit ageing squad. The WC will definitely be the final swansong for Mane & Koulibaly. Other talented players in the team include Ismaila Sarr on the right flank, Youssouph Badji of Lyon up front, Moussa Wague of PSG at right back and Edouard Mendy, formerly of Chelsea, in goal. I know we aren't going to win it, but I am quite excited for the world cup now. 

CROSSING THE MEDITERRANEAN - 2025/26 SEASON REVIEW

Racing_Club_De_Lens-logo-EB7AF8F5AB-seeklogo_com.png.034027e14754ea5e4c607d7062527033.png

The season is officially done, and I don't think I could have asked for a much better first year at Lens. 

spacer.png

We finished the league strong, even though the 2-5 defeat at PSG showed us the massive gulf in quality between the teams. Side note, Mbappe is absolutely unreal and basically impossible to play against.

Ultimately, the surprise home defeat at the hands of Troyes cost us 2nd spot in the league, but we still did very well as you can see.

spacer.png

3rd place finish and Champions league qualification achieved, although we will have to qualify via the play-offs. The gap to PSG has been cut to just 10 points from a massive 40 last season before I took over.

Next up - team stats and some analysis.

Season 2025-26 Analysis

Here are the final team stats from the season just gone by:

spacer.png

I am very happy with the way we have progressed and especially the performance of the attacking unit. The switch mid-season to the 4-4-2 below definitely helped us a lot and will probably be my go to formation at Lens. I realized that we just did not have the wing backs to play a 3-5-2 and also Adolphe Toukam was being absolutely wasted. He came into the team and was absolutely brilliant as you can see.

spacer.png

We finish the season with 2 of the top 3 scorers in the league, with Ganago actually beating Mbappe to the golden boot as well :eek:

spacer.png

Attacking stats are VERY impressive, however the defensive side of things will need some improvement.

spacer.png

Our finances have improved and will continue to especially with CL qualification, however the gulf with PSG, and indeed the other big French clubs, is just immense.

spacer.png

I didn't realize that Monaco spend so much money! They actually have an insane squad and pushed PSG all the way this year.

Our budget for next season is still pretty modest, although I will do another post about the squad review and plans to strengthen. 

spacer.png

We spent some money this season on improving all the facilities which are now billed as "excellent" across the board. This for me is more important than a couple of transfers as it will hopefully help the excellent youth we have at the club further improve.

Mady Camara is Olympiakos player?He is a really beast in midfield here.

4 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

Mady Camara is Olympiakos player?He is a really beast in midfield here.

Yes that's the one! He's been excellent

CROSSING THE MEDITERRANEAN - 2025/26 SEASON REVIEW

Racing_Club_De_Lens-logo-EB7AF8F5AB-seeklogo_com.png.034027e14754ea5e4c607d7062527033.png

The season is officially done, and I don't think I could have asked for a much better first year at Lens. 

spacer.png

We finished the league strong, even though the 2-5 defeat at PSG showed us the massive gulf in quality between the teams. Side note, Mbappe is absolutely unreal and basically impossible to play against.

Ultimately, the surprise home defeat at the hands of Troyes cost us 2nd spot in the league, but we still did very well as you can see.

spacer.png

3rd place finish and Champions league qualification achieved, although we will have to qualify via the play-offs. The gap to PSG has been cut to just 10 points from a massive 40 last season before I took over.

Next up - team stats and some analysis.

Amazing season for you with RC Lens and Ganago is a goal machine. I look forward to seeing how you do.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Amazing season for you with RC Lens and Ganago is a goal machine. I look forward to seeing how you do.

Thanks! Indeed he is - I am going to do a full squad review maybe tomorrow.

Good Season-:brock:

Every team needs to find their "Goal Machine" and not every player will be one for your team.....except maybe Haaland this year in FM.

It look like you found yours in Ganogo.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Good Season-:brock:

Every team needs to find their "Goal Machine" and not every player will be one for your team.....except maybe Haaland this year in FM.

It look like you found yours in Ganogo.

Thanks! 

Ganago and Kalimuendo are actually very similar and at the same level. Just playing the latter as a false 9 for some variety in attack. 

Edit - Haaland and of course Mbappe as well. While he's at PSG I don't know if any of the rest will have a chance. 

Edited by karanhsingh

Player poaching

The first one at Lens, and is a weird one as we are much stronger than Rennes now. He looks like a talent as well, judging by those gold stars. I will be keeping an eye out.

spacer.png

FIFA WORLD CUP 2026

spacer.png

I was really excited going into the World Cup. As a reminder, we would be up against champions England and China in the group stage. Here is the squad.

spacer.png

A good mix of youth & experience, and as I mentioned previously probably the swan song for Mane & Koulibaly. Apart from these 2, we would be relying on Badji & Sarr up front, along with Wague at RB and Diop at AMC.

We had a friendly against hosts America to kick things off. 

spacer.png

We got a really well-deserved late victory, but this match was an absolute disaster for other reasons. We had no less than THREE injuries, including probably our two best attacking players Badji and Sarr who would now face a race to be fit for the world cup.

We then somehow contrived to lose the next game to Turkey despite heavy rotation & total domination. Not the ideal preparation. 

Next up - England at the WC. I decided to roll the dice and play a half-fit Badji & Sarr.

Sarr goes off injured on 20 minutes. His replacement Diatta is injured on 42 minutes. I don't understand what's going on. Mourinho's England are kicking lumps out of us.

spacer.png

We put up a REALLY brave performance and should have gotten a point. After this defeat, more bad news.

spacer.png

Badji was also still struggling with fitness. Diatta was ruled out of the WC. Our tournament was in tatters. However we still had enough in the tank for the Chinese.

spacer.png

Or so I thought... 4 minutes in, another injury, this time our RWB Wague. Entire right side is now out. It doesn't show up, but I also took off our best AM Diop at half-time as he got injured too - and a draw was enough for us to go through so didn't want to risk it. Besides the injuries, we also hit the post twice, and they scored from a total sucker punch - long punt up field. The scorer makes it even worse (if that's even possible) - Lyon youth product Yunlong who months earlier scored a stoppage time winner vs us in the league.

spacer.png

Absolutely devastating... and I honestly don't believe I have ever seen such a run of horrid luck on FM in my life :seagull:

spacer.png

I knew the sack was coming, so this time I decided to walk before being pushed.

It's sad because the England game showed how good the team could have been. Ah well, onto the next one.

Player poaching

The first one at Lens, and is a weird one as we are much stronger than Rennes now. He looks like a talent as well, judging by those gold stars. I will be keeping an eye out.

spacer.png

Strange to see you will only be given 5% of any future fee considering the club you are at. I guess a tiered academy system doesn't happen in every nation. 

Edited by ToMexico!!
can't spell
11 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Strange to see you will only be given 5% of any future fee considering the club you are at. I guess a tiered academy system doesn't happen in every nation. 

Yeah, in any case I can't wait to see what he looks like! In your experience how long after the news item does the player appear in game?

17 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Yeah, in any case I can't wait to see what he looks like! In your experience how long after the news item does the player appear in game?

Its either two or three seasons after the poached season according to my list from my save. Depends when in the year they are poached. 

29 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Shame the World Cup didn't go as well as you hoped.

Thanks, although I decided to reload and not quit the job :D If they keep me on I would like a go at the 2027 AFCON, a competition which Senegal has never won before.

Posted (edited)

RC LENS - YOUTH ACADEMY FOCUS

A quick look at the many academy boys who are currently poised to be a big part of the future of the club.

Oceano Jourie - the shining light of the academy! Easily our best defender, coveted by all the big clubs but we have managed to tie him down to a 5 year contract. I am really hoping we will be able to hold onto him. Don't understand why he has not been capped by France yet.

spacer.png

Christopher Gentueil - young dynamic winger who is progressing quite well and was the subject of various bids from PSG over the summer. High hopes of him and he's already playing a role in the first team.

spacer.png

Adolphe Toukam - after not figuring in our 3-5-2 formation, he started playing when we switched to a 4-4-2 and has since made that RW spot his own. Started this season on fire. I am not sure he will ever play for France but he does also have Cameroonian nationality.

spacer.png

Yaovi Diallo - even at the young age of 18 this young French/ Togolese boy has become our first choice RB and continues to progress well. Again have very high hopes from him.

spacer.png

Abdelaziz Itim - currently the backup DLP in the first team, and always does well enough when called upon. Should continue to be a useful squad player at the very least.

spacer.png

Yannick Kone - after a successful loan spell at ADO Den Haag he has been included in the first team squad as back-up BBM to Mady Camara. Again has done well whenever called upon. If I will still managing the Ivory Coast I'd definitely be trying to convince him to switch allegiances!

spacer.png

Jean-Joseph Miramon - I have had high hopes from him ever since I joined Lens and still do, but he's just not been developing, despite being out on loan and playing regularly. May be due to the low determination. Will have to see how he progresses but the potential is clearly there.

spacer.png

Thibault Coulerot - he has really come on leaps & bounds, and is out on loan this season to see if he can make the step up. The problem is that I am not using an AMC in my current formation, but if he continues to progress we will have to see how to fit him in.

spacer.png

Abdoulaye Soula - promoted from the U19s this season to the first team to be the back-up false 9 in our set-up. Not yet played much but seems to be progressing quite well and is a good all-rounder.

spacer.png

Daniel van der Kerkhof - finally the last on the list, out on loan this season but should be able to become a useful part of the squad in the future as he seems quite talented & versatile. Has been turning out for the French youth teams as well.

spacer.png

That is no less than 10 young players the RC Lens academy has produced who should all prove to be a solid part of the squad for the next few years. This is not even counting Kalimuendo who is one of our best strikers and counts as HGC but actually joined from PSG at a young age.

Edited by karanhsingh

Oh tough result against China but it wasn't fair.Are you sure they would fire you?

18 minutes ago, Sheriff7 said:

Oh tough result against China but it wasn't fair.Are you sure they would fire you?

I went back and retained the job. Going to see how we fare at AFCON 2027.

Koulibaly has now retired though (shame as he was still good) and Mane's physicals are dwindling.

8 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

FIFA WORLD CUP 2026

spacer.png

I was really excited going into the World Cup. As a reminder, we would be up against champions England and China in the group stage. Here is the squad.

spacer.png

A good mix of youth & experience, and as I mentioned previously probably the swan song for Mane & Koulibaly. Apart from these 2, we would be relying on Badji & Sarr up front, along with Wague at RB and Diop at AMC.

We had a friendly against hosts America to kick things off. 

spacer.png

We got a really well-deserved late victory, but this match was an absolute disaster for other reasons. We had no less than THREE injuries, including probably our two best attacking players Badji and Sarr who would now face a race to be fit for the world cup.

We then somehow contrived to lose the next game to Turkey despite heavy rotation & total domination. Not the ideal preparation. 

Next up - England at the WC. I decided to roll the dice and play a half-fit Badji & Sarr.

Sarr goes off injured on 20 minutes. His replacement Diatta is injured on 42 minutes. I don't understand what's going on. Mourinho's England are kicking lumps out of us.

spacer.png

We put up a REALLY brave performance and should have gotten a point. After this defeat, more bad news.

spacer.png

Badji was also still struggling with fitness. Diatta was ruled out of the WC. Our tournament was in tatters. However we still had enough in the tank for the Chinese.

spacer.png

Or so I thought... 4 minutes in, another injury, this time our RWB Wague. Entire right side is now out. It doesn't show up, but I also took off our best AM Diop at half-time as he got injured too - and a draw was enough for us to go through so didn't want to risk it. Besides the injuries, we also hit the post twice, and they scored from a total sucker punch - long punt up field. The scorer makes it even worse (if that's even possible) - Lyon youth product Yunlong who months earlier scored a stoppage time winner vs us in the league.

spacer.png

Absolutely devastating... and I honestly don't believe I have ever seen such a run of horrid luck on FM in my life :seagull:

spacer.png

I knew the sack was coming, so this time I decided to walk before being pushed.

It's sad because the England game showed how good the team could have been. Ah well, onto the next one.

Unlucky at Senegal and I hope you bounce back.

15 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Unlucky at Senegal and I hope you bounce back.

Thanks bud, going to give it a shot at AFCON 2027 with them, let's see how that goes.

RC LENS - 2026/27 OFF SEASON

A fairly busy off season in terms of transfers, but not much money has been spent. In fact, more has been brought in. 

spacer.png

I decided against going big this summer. The players did so well last year, it seemed unfair to start replacing them or uprooting the squad just yet. Also we are in a place where it is hard to get in players who are significant improvements to what we have.

Another big decision from a philosophy point of view - with Stevanovic doing so well in goal, I have decided to dip further into the Serbian market. I like the idea of having a couple of 'cliques' in the dressing room, so apart from the French + the French speaking African players, we now have a little Eastern European group forming as well.

I will post up screenshots of the players expected to feature in the first team this season.

Marcus Tacalfred - our biggest move of the summer is actually a two season loan deal from Dortmund. He was scouted by my team at Auxerre way back when at Le Havre, before making the move to Germany. Pretty delighted to get him in as he adds some real quality up front and is more suited to the DLF role than either Ganago or Kalimuendo. Depending on how he does, we may look to make the deal a permanent one.

spacer.png

Milan Crnobrnja - just going to call him Milan as there is no way I can pronounce that last name :D our most expensive summer purchase at the princely fee of 2 million, he is brought in to provide a solid rotation option at both RB and LB. A well-rounded player, if a little lacking in pace.

spacer.png

Neven Stosic continues the mini Serbian invasion, although he will mainly play the back-up role to Toukam on the right flank. His physicals do look very good, though.

spacer.png

Nemanja Milijas is another loanee this time from Red Star, as our main LB Sy got injured at the start of the season and I realized that relying on one player to cover both the wing back positions may not be the best idea. He looks like a young player with really good potential. There is a 5 million option in his loan contract.

spacer.png

And finally, Bienvenu Kasongo is our first transfer from a Congolese club, again great physicals and will be interesting to see how much we can develop him.

spacer.png

spacer.png

WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED.

Of course I should mention that:

A - the scoreline clearly flatters us. A LOT.

B - PSG had Mbappe out due to injury. Take Mbappe out of PSG, and not so special anymore.

RC LENS - 2026-27 MID SEASON REVIEW

This is building up to be one hell of a season! The PSG result above was a little preview.

Here are our results so far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Incredibly, we find ourselves topping the table going into the winter break.

spacer.png

Staying there though, will be another matter altogether. We will need to visit PSG in the second half of the season, and they will definitely be looking for revenge.

I think a lot depends on whether they keep Mbappe fit throughout or not. He is just that good. 

In the Champions league, unfortunately we could not get out of a pretty tough group.

spacer.png

Although the reason we went out was not Madrid or Leibzig, but this defeat in Benfica. FM at it's finest! 

The squad is really playing out of their skin so far, I am just hoping it can continue. Loan signing Tacalfred has been a revelation, and has relegated Kalimuendo to the bench.

spacer.png

The in-take preview also arrived and looks good, after a disappointing one last year I am hoping for one or two players for the first team squad.

Wish me luck for the 2nd half of the season!

AFCON 2027

I don't know what it is about Senegal, but we always seem to have really crap luck at the big tournaments! First we get our best player Ismailla Sarr injured again, right before the tournament.

We still get through the first two games pretty easily, and are topping the group.

spacer.png

A draw against Nigeria in the last game will be enough for 1st place.

spacer.png

Disaster! After taking the lead, a red card, a missed penalty, a hatful of missed chances and some ridiculous goals by Nigeria, we somehow conspire to lose the game despite being easily the better side. To compound matters, our best AMC (also one of the most important players at my club) Sofiane Diop is injured and will miss the rest of the tournament.

This means a hard draw against Cameroon in the next round. 

spacer.png

Sadly, more of the same after the Nigeria game. We again take the lead, and again proceed to miss chance after chance. This time we also hit the woodwork twice for good measure. Cameroon take all their chances, of course. And just like that, we are out of another tournament.

spacer.png

The fact that Cameroon, like Morocco the last time, go on to win the Cup is scant consolation. This time, I am off for good. 

spacer.png

In 2 years of being the Senegal boss, there was not ONE SINGLE game that we did not play well, or indeed have the higher xG than our opponents, including teams like England, Ivory Coast, Morocco, Cameroon, Nigeria, and many more. But ultimately if you do not take your chances, you will not win games.

It seems my reputation has taken a dip again, because after the tournament I was turned down by Egypt, Algeria, Ghana & Nigeria. Full focus on RC Lens now :) 

Meanwhile in Lens, a couple of interesting moves were made in the Jan window.

We had some important players leaving for the AFCON, and I also wanted to add a bit of experience to the squad for the run in. We had the money, so I thought why not?

spacer.png

The prodigal son returns, a very long time after leaving the club. I really hope he can help shore up the defense a bit.

spacer.png

The second one is Thomas Lemar, who actually joins from arch rivals PSG who will continue to pay half his wage! With Sofiane Diop out for a month too, he immediately takes over in the starting XI.

More regular updates now as it's REALLY getting tight at the top... 

This was Jan & Feb 2027

spacer.png

We had actually opened up a FIVE point gap over PSG after they lost to Monaco. However I can't help but wonder if we have thrown the league away at that last game. And to Lorient no less @Jogo Bonito @Ronaldo Beckham

spacer.png

Look at those match stats... here is the updated league table

spacer.png

More regular updates now as it's REALLY getting tight at the top... 

This was Jan & Feb 2027

spacer.png

We had actually opened up a FIVE point gap over PSG after they lost to Monaco. However I can't help but wonder if we have thrown the league away at that last game. And to Lorient no less @Jogo Bonito @Ronaldo Beckham

spacer.png

Look at those match stats... here is the updated league table

spacer.png

Unlucky mate. I hope you don't lose the lead and good luck in the title run.

10 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Definitely a two horse race, but don't be bullied by PSG. Lorient upped their game which is nice to see, but you can still land the title :thup:

7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

As long as you keep PSG from winning....Gerard Dauphinais will be smiling!

Cheers fellas, another update coming up soon.

March 2027

spacer.png

A decent month - we are through to the Quarters of the Europa league. We also only drop 2 points in the Ligue 1 away at Monaco. Unfortunately, we crashed out of the French Cup at the semi final stage with a pretty gutless display at St. Etienne. 

Still hanging on to the top, by the skin of our teeth. I believe it will all come down to the game at PSG.

spacer.png

Here are their fixtures to round up the season:

spacer.png

New to this thread, but it's been a fun ride and a good concept.  I'm almost annoyed that I didn't wait another bit for you to finish out the season before I caught up...I need to know how this title race ends!

Good to see your 4-2-2-2 working so well on the whole.  It's a formation I really like in theory, but have never gotten to work. I like the look of yours though, so I might take a closer look and take some elements the next time I want to run something like that.  Lots of TI's but they make sense so it works!