17 years of FM to get my first wonderkid, here he is.

I am reviving this topic to ask a question, is it normal for goalkeepers to develop very slowly?

He is now twice "golden glove" keeper and is pretty much playing every game except domestic cups unless my backup is injured. Had him training handling since he was 19 and got the message that he thought it was useless, he has got a +1 in goalkeeper rating here and there but not really as much as I had hoped unless it comes later?

I am asking this because Wales only produces goalkeeper wonderkids, this one is past wonderkid ... have 2 other GK wonderkids and one more on its way to wonderkid status (I think) ... all club produced, havn´t had anything resembling quality outfield wise. So I want to make sure I am developing them propperly.

image.thumb.png.bf52e493b9a9de19c744a4e93b9ceff1.png

Edited by AurioDK

On 01/03/2021 at 23:17, AurioDK said:

I am reviving this topic to ask a question, is it normal for goalkeepers to develop very slowly?

He is now twice "golden glove" keeper and is pretty much playing every game except domestic cups unless my backup is injured. Had him training handling since he was 19 and got the message that he thought it was useless, he has got a +1 in goalkeeper rating here and there but not really as much as I had hoped unless it comes later?

I am asking this because Wales only produces goalkeeper wonderkids, this one is past wonderkid ... have 2 other GK wonderkids and one more on its way to wonderkid status (I think) ... all club produced, havn´t had anything resembling quality outfield wise. So I want to make sure I am developing them propperly.

image.thumb.png.bf52e493b9a9de19c744a4e93b9ceff1.png

Your coaches may have overrated his potential ability or he might be a late developer. Guess you wont know just like real life tbh

32 minutes ago, francis#17 said:

Your coaches may have overrated his potential ability or he might be a late developer. Guess you wont know just like real life tbh

Everything is superb and 5 star .. also implementing goalkeeper training in my schedules ... quite often.

I "cheated" as one more season showed no development and I was just confused, he was apparently much closer to full PA at the age of 19 than I thought which is 167 ... his stats just havn´t gone up because they couldn´t. He is currently at 159 CA and should have higher stats compared to other goalkeepers I have seen, he is however the only one I have checked for CA/PA. He is performing okayish though. 

I would think a CA 160 GK would have around 15-16 in most relevant stats and he might get there with time, still 8 points left to play with :).

19 hours ago, AurioDK said:

Everything is superb and 5 star .. also implementing goalkeeper training in my schedules ... quite often.

I "cheated" as one more season showed no development and I was just confused, he was apparently much closer to full PA at the age of 19 than I thought which is 167 ... his stats just havn´t gone up because they couldn´t. He is currently at 159 CA and should have higher stats compared to other goalkeepers I have seen, he is however the only one I have checked for CA/PA. He is performing okayish though. 

I would think a CA 160 GK would have around 15-16 in most relevant stats and he might get there with time, still 8 points left to play with :).

Yeah even with 5 star training and coaches a player might just not develop anymore. E.g. Cleverley, Welbeck etc because they have reached their PA. In terms of his attributes not looking like it fits his CA, im not sure as I dont look at CA or PA numbers but it could be because of hidden attributes are high. I would focus on if his performances are improving rather than if his attributes are improving

Edited by francis#17

On 24/02/2021 at 11:05, WilsonJuve said:

Similar boat to you. Never start with a big club and even after investing every penny into my youth facilities and youth recruitment buying the best HOYD money can buy I never seem to get good players coming through. Enjoy him.

Well this might be due to your club low reputation. Reputation is a big factor when it comes to youth intakes and it's like REALLY slowly raising in FM.

To give you a numbers reputation is represented by number from 1-10 000. When I started my Finland save my club had like 4660 reputation. Now at the beginning of 2026 where my team had very good runs in recent years in Europa (Conference League Quarter Final, Europa League Quarter Final and Champions League Group Stage) my club's reputation is 5305. So I increased it on average by 100 per season.

But there are other important factors. Your club reputation is important but it need to be set in context. Imo it's more important to be club with highest reputation in the country than having just high reputation by itself. It's somehow like in real life. When you're less reputated side in prem it's more possible that youngsters will more likely join sides like big firms rather than other club that is just successful through few recent years.

Another factor is your country youth rating. It's more likely to produce wonderkids in Brazil than for example in Romania (no offence for you guys!).

And for last thing you have to keep in mind what calibre of players you need. When you're minor side in 4th tier in random country some sunday league level players might be gods in your league. While if you're Real Madrid there are like what? Few hundred people across the world that are capable of playing at your desired level? So what are the odds that one of them will be born in your area? I know youth intakes can be international but usually you end up with players of your club nation.

All these factors somehow explain to me why I don't have future Ronaldo or Messi in my Finland side even thou I'd really like at least one European level player every year for my highest rated club in country with better than anyone else youth facilities of all kinds.

And last word. To see how long does it take to produce world quality players just take a look how long does it take to complete youth academy challenge.