Eagles in glass palaces shouldn't throw stones...

RaySunshine

January 2027 - Part 3

XI.JPG.9a3f14594808d8056b4d7e1a37749b6a.JPG

So this is the line-up that is going to take me into my first game managing the gunners. There seems to be a fair amount of talent on show here so I really do hope we can make it pay and start shifting ourselves up the league. I do have one major concern though which I will come to in a moment...

Leno: The German shot-stopper has continued his role uninterrupted for nearly ten years now and he's been doing it well. There's no need to change anything here!

Meret Payal: This young Turk was brought into the club from Caen in 2024. He's stepped up to first-choice keeping captain Bellerin out the side. It's not up to him to keep it that way.

Saliba: The french centre-half has been one of the club's best performers this season and I certainly look forward to seeing that carrying on!

Adarabioyo: This is the Englishman's third season at the club after a few at Fulham and one at Wolves. His average rating has grown season-on-season throughout his career so I hope that I'm taking him through a real peak.

Cucurella: The Spainiard has moved around a bit - Barcelona, Getafe and Juventus are his previous clubs. This is his second season in the capital and he's done ok but I'll want him to do better.

Partey: The new signing is still here. He has become the heartbeat of midfield and performed consistently well across his spell here.

Kartsev: The Israeli was brought in 2021 and, after a couple of years on loan, has grown into a regular starting role with club.

Lammers: This is the Dutchman's first season for Arsenal after having scored for fun for AZ. I hope he carries it on and helps to haul us up the league.

Fekir: Despite being linked here, there and everywhere, the frenchman has played out most of his career for Betis. This is his first season here and has delievered five assists so far. I look forward to him getting a few more!

Pepe: Still here, still going. He has now 36 goals in 188 games for the gunners. I'm looking forward to him running the left flank and getting some good crosses in.

Nketiah: The club's top goal-scorer and my potential problem. I certainly have no complaints about the 15 goals he's got so far this season. However, I learnt on the last game that my tactic seemed to work best with a big man up front and Nketiah ain't it. I have Origi on the bench who fits the bill better but he's already off to Roma. Let's see if I can make my tactic work for the in-form striker.

Fix.JPG.1b977dd037e5e48792360c061e13b993.JPG

So I only have one game left this month. Norwich are down in 17th place but the worry is that I'm only just closer to the bottom European place than I am to them. We really are in the middle of the middle at the moment!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

January 2027 Part 4!

Res.JPG.0fc494aa51dd5ac3dc055fd2c6a64b66.JPG

So we only had the one game which was against Norwich (Pepe 90+6). I really wanted to get the win to kick us on our way but we the best we could do to muck things up by conceding within the first minute! We went on to dominate the game but it looked like we were going to come away with nothing until we won a pen in the last few seconds of the game and Pepe stuck it away. Well we're up and running - just!

Table.JPG.9b96ed4ab80b633b5e79d0a7c4dd1b36.JPG

So we've slipped one place to thirteenth - three points from tenth and eight points from seventh. Let's have a look at who's coming up in the next month.

Fix.JPG.21f65fcfa21c07cf040fd0a09a14b417.JPG

The month kicks off with a cup game against Newcastle and I really want to push hard in both cup competitions that we're still in. In terms of the league, we face Leicester, Swansea and Derby who are below us before taking on Wolves who are presently third. Can we kick on and get going towards what we want to achieve!

February 2027

Res.JPG.598f9e25544c1945649a090283326a18.JPG

Now why did I think this job would be a good idea?! It's certainly been anyhting but a straight-forward month to get me going. I was pretty pleased with the Newcastle (Adarabioyo 12, Fekir 41, Nketiah 45+2, Origi 90+2). We dominated the game and seemed to score for fun even if a lot of it was coming from set pieces but I wasn't going to complain with progress in the cup. Next up in the league was Leicester (Lammers 32). They absolutely outclassed us all game and we just about staggered away with a draw - they deserved far more from the game. Swansea (Lammers 48, 73) had lost fourteen in a row before playing us. We did everything we could to muck it up though - going down early and having Kartsev sent off for a horror challenge. We barely had time to breathe before playing Cardiff (Gabriel 32, Pepe 43, Nketiah 49, Lammers pen 79). We were playing a championship side but it felt good to get the win going into the month's last league game against Wolves (Martinelli 74, 90+7). This game really could have gone either way and for much of it, it looked like we were going to lose. However, bringing on Sakha who crossed like a dream and Martinelli who smashed them home turned it all round and gave us a dramatic win.

Table.JPG.5ef215d75e76ce3ae0553587eab4b7f7.JPG

So we finish the month where we started it. I really thought we could kick on and improve quickly with the talent in the team but we're struggling to get any sort of form together and I'm worried that Nketiah, as good as he is, really isn't going to suit my style of play. I think the challenge may well become keeping the job until the summer where I'll have chance to reshape the team in my image.

Fix.JPG.0192569e15e16fb8e4cbd03dd228f96b.JPG

The month kicks off with two huge games against Porto to see if we can progress towards our aim of winning the Europa League. Inbetween those, we face 8th place Southampton and 15th place Burnley. Derby County are 19th and they're followed by the small matters of the FA Cup QF and the North London Derby. If I'm to make anything of this job, I need to start making some headway - and fast!

March 2027

Res.JPG.3eba032c477fe4150a6e29b1c6a1255c.JPG

Well, if last month was nothing short of a disaster, it's been much more pleasing to see what this month has to offer! We started off against Porto (Saka 6, Origi 90+1). We took the lead early and they turned the game round but, with game coming to a finish, Fekir played a beauty of through-ball and Origi chipped the keeper to give us the draw. The month's league games began against Southampton (Musah 63, Saliba 72, Nketiah 90+2, Origi 90+3). The game was much closer than the final scoreline suggested. When they pulled it back to 2-1, I was worried but we saw it through. We then played the second leg against Porto (Adarabioyo 8, Origi 70). When Porto took the early lead, I feared the worst but a first goal from a Fekir corner and the second at the end of a great passing move gave us the win. Burnley (Saliba 55, Pepe 90+3). The first goal was a corner and the second came from a beauty of chip by Musah which Pepe smashed home. It felt like our first routine win. I thought the next game against Derby County (Gabriel 85) would also be a routine win but we wasted a hatful of chances before Gabriel smashed home a corner to give us all three points. Finally we played Bournemouth in an end-to-end cup tie. Bournemouth took their chances though cutting our defence apart for the past and then scoring an injury time corner to beat us.

Table.JPG.3babda8b837ef4fac5565442881310d2.JPG

Even with the disappintment of crashing out the cup, our three league wins have seen a serious pick up in our table postion. We've got into the top-half for the first time since I took the job and we are only five points off the bottom European place too. The 100% league record also bags me manager of the month so that's a nice bonus too.

YI.JPG.4bcc12290735ed395c8eb156d852e351.JPG

Here's the reveal of our youth intake for this season. It doesn't look stunning if I'm honest. Meakin is the staff's pick for potential star so we'll see how he gets on. I'm still after than young Scot from Napoli if I can get hold of him too!

Fix.JPG.147fcaee0f5bcaf366bb415422a47b00.JPG

Well another action-packed month awaits us. With the season coming to a close, the games are going to come thick and fast. It will be real challenge to manage fatigue through the month. There are a hat-trick of tough league games against 3rd, 6th and 4th. Tucked inbetween those far-from-standard games are the Europa League QFs against Athletic Club. Finally 11th place Leeds and 17th place Bournemouth round out the month. Revenge is on the cards in that last game there!

April 2027

Res.JPG.0c8779351230c31fe9cd3567d1d1c1e5.JPG

Why, why oh why am I here?! There are times when you've just moved club and really wonder why you've bothered! Game one was against Liverpool (Origi 49, Pepe 87). Twice we lead and twice we were pulled back. Considering I was really expecting to get beat, it wouldn't have too bad to get a draw but I was still cross considering how late we took the lead. Next up was our first QF against Athletic (Fekir 24). When we took the lead and dominated the first half, I thought we were really doing well. But they took full control of the second half and came away with a first-leg lead to take home. Up next were Man Utd. We were eye-to-eye for the most of the game but they took two late goals in order to take the win. We then went out to Bilbao (Origi 28,39, Saka 61). When Origi gave us a two-goal lead (one on agg), I thought we were well on our way. We then let them score two setting it up for them to go through. Finally, Saka scored the goal the separated the teams and sent us on to the semi's. Up next was the North London Derby against Tottenham (Origi 75). We were totally outclassed throughout the game and, getting a late consolation, we were no-where near. In desperation, I tried a different formation against Leeds (Saka 90+2). It was what I'd used to get back into the Athletic game but it certainly didn't work here. We were two goals down in no time and really had to work hard to even get our consolation - worrying stuff indeed! The last game of the month was the first semi against Gladbach (Saka 39,41,45). We dominated the whole game and when we went in 3-0 up at half time, I thought we were in for a comfy ride. How wrong could I be! We do take a lead out to Germany but it's a slender one and they do have two away goals.

Table.JPG.bf0f475c558fd0cfad37df32eac4bfff.JPG

The three straight league defeats and the draw have done nothing to help our league postion. However we are only four points off tenth with two games in hand. We're only 6 points off 7th with two games in hand two so that, with the Europa League Semi, means there's still plenty to play for in our last month.

Fix.JPG.c334891d76dc72ef53b3f0e555b4cf8f.JPG

So we start off the month playing fourteenth-place Sheffield Utd and follow that up with our second semi against Gladbach. Newcastle, Bournemouth and Chelsea see out the month in league games so hopefully we can pick up some points there and gain some respectability.

May 2027

Res.JPG.63b7eb1ab650f833610aff3499c0a0c9.JPG

A tricky month with a wide range of results has been what we've had so it's hard to say how we feel about it all. Game one saw us play Sheffield United. We dominated the game before they beat Cucurella for a neat cut back and goal. We were at least eye-to-eye from then on but failed to get what we needed. Next up, we took on Gladbach (Saka 73). We again dominated the first half and failed to score. They hit us on the break to set it up for them to go through but Cucurella made amends and sent Saka through to score. Against Newcastle (Kartsev 48), we again again again dominated the game. Here, we scored just after the break but then they equalised and that was it - a frustrating draw. Finally, when playing Bournemouth (Origi 30, Martinelli 36, 54), we had something of an upturn. We bossed the games and got the goals to show for it. All three goals were rebound tap-ins but there was a fierce shot first for each one. Finally, we played Chelsea (Saliba 16). We were against the flow for the whole game. It looked like we were going to pinch the win but they equalised right at the death.

Table.JPG.6436edf6bf07b3b79142086c8eca1899.JPG

So we finish the month in 13th place which does seem pretty grim. However, we were 19 points above 18th place and only 6 points off 7th place so I'm not sure that just looking at the place tells the whole story. I just hope that, with a bit of re-shaping (especially with a large chunk of the squad wanting to go for champ's league football) in the summer we can pull back into the serious business end. Now that the domestic business is done, there is just one more game to go...

Fix.JPG.c5e7c726671a0669b4d7d698402d0e87.JPG

May 2027 Part 2

Res.JPG.b2e1c128aa6dc7b913688fca52dc1bc8.JPG

It wasn't to be. We matched Spurs throughout the game but we just couldn't score to save our lives! Their first goal came from a shot from Lopez which played penalty box pinball and finished up with Bowen smashing it home. This was followed up later on by Bowen countering down our left, crossing for a neat one-two between Kane and Kluivert and the latter smashing the ball into the back of the net. Just to add to the heart break, we put in a big looping ball into the box in the 82nd minute and Nketiah headed home only for VAR to rule it out for offside.

On the plus side, my repuation has gone up 5% to 75% and the bar has gone green just for being the runner up and I've now got 3 2/3 stars to my name. So, while I'm tied to the club until the beginning of July due to my promise not to apply for other jobs, I hope from then on I can look for some seriously big offers to get some silverware to my name! PSG anyone?

Season Review

996128063_SeasonXI.JPG.952e2d01ccfcad124e1d43463066e807.JPG

The overall XI for the season is pretty close to what I'd expect. The only player from my regular XI to miss out is Partey who took on the Hojbjerg role of clearing up in front of the defence in my games. Our goals conceded rank in 9th compared to 6th for goals scored so it's interesting to see the high rations for Saliba and Adarabioyo. Perhaps it's the full backs that I'll need to have a look at.

Awards.JPG.86991501ef01c558aeee000736bfa94e.JPG

It's interesting for me to see that Nketiah, despite being the club's top goal-scorer, failed to make it into the overall XI for the season. It's also interesting to see the crucial role that Fekir has played. The fact that he's 33 means I can't rely on him to do that forever so that will be a position for long-term review certainly.

Budget.JPG.85c20396cf6b62d3b5839683afc35fba.JPG

This is the budget available at the moment. I certainly have one position in mind for my close-season rebuild and I hope this will cover it. After that, it depends who goes out. About half the team want to leave if a big offer comes in for them so I'll have to manage them and their replacements if the offers come in.

Vision.JPG

And this is what I'm working towards. This season, the club want to qualify for the Europa League. But, from the seaoson after that, they want to be back challenging for the title again! Depending upon how long I'm here, we're going to need to put in some serious work in the next two summers!

Edited by RaySunshine

Pre-season

Trans.thumb.JPG.a6fa72e96c815315f777523ca9992427.JPGTrans3.JPG.210634a523634abad4cc05aa176a179a.JPGTrans2.JPG.b36b18c29e9f008bd0326afccf4a36d1.JPG

Well it's certainly been a busy summer! I'll start with the outs; our budget changed quickly across the course of the summer. Up above, you'll see a healthy wage budget. That soon became -£181K and we had to ship out players quick. Lots have left on loan but the notable names - Loftus-Cheek and Pepe in particular - were sold in order to free up the wage bill and help me to match my vision objective of keeping the wage bill under control. Out of all the young loanees, Whittle has impressed and I hope that he'll do well and I'll fit him into the team in the future.

As far as the Ins go, the first two names were players with serious potential who had declared that they wouldn't sign new contracts at their clubs. Gustavo in particular looks good enough to hit the starting line-up and really impress in the league. After all, who can not want a diminutive Brazilian player. Sulistyo is the great Indonesian potential player; he's already an international regular and could go on to shine. Salvador was transfer-listed as he wouldn't sign a new and, at 18, already looks good enough to be part of the starting line-up. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, there's Tapia in from Napoli. I knew that I needed a taller striker to lead the line. I was tempted to go back to Lazio and get Da Graca who'd done so well for me. However, Tapia looks like he has serious potential and is already good enough to lead the line. I just hope he comes up with the goods or I'll have to reconsider quickly.

ManSal.thumb.JPG.06c04b54bda9f44d2ffe45324dbeed0e.JPG

The top-two haven't changed and Simeone hasn't lost any money either. Van Dijk comes in though as player/assistant at Liverpool. It's rare to see staff with injuries. My wage of £45.5k means I'm on near double what I was last pre-season so let's hope they double again next year!

preseason.JPG.a9e21e2ec1ca7dc8416ece4345b0d0ea.JPG

Pre-season was pretty straight-forward but it's nice to see wins all across the board and only the one goal conceded. Most of the games were played using tiki-takka as well so I certainly intend to use that against weaker sides in the cup and see what level we can take it up to.

Table.JPG.0d1999bab08487fff5b73a50edea7224.JPG

So we're predicted to finish seventh and there's a fairly hefty gap between us and 6th place Everton that we're going to need to close for a start. The gap between us and fifth-place predicted Spurs is simply huge so it's going to fascinating to see if it really turns out just like that - I certainly hope we much, much better than the pundits think we will.

Fix.JPG.0856c57b7fddcc1c4ab9f8494883a929.JPG

Four league games and League Cup tie face us. Playing just-promoted West Ham is a pretty good start although that's made much harder by facing highly-fancied Chelsea soon after. Wolves are seen to be level-pegging with us and Leicester are thought to be finishing tenth but are also on the level-peg with us so it all looks likely to be a tough but informative month ahead!

Edited by RaySunshine

August 2027

Res.JPG.4e2f17e2015ce751df6fd7a7878ce17e.JPG

Well, considering the less-than-straightforward nature of the games we had this month, I'm pretty pleased with the results overall. The season began at the London Stadium and a game against West Ham (Gabriel 7, Tapia 23, Martinelli 67). We started off with a goal from a corner and then our new signings combined - Gustavo sending a cross for Tapia to volley home off the bar. Tapia then turned provider for the third. Against Chelsea (Martinelli 32, Kartsev 55), I was in dreamland when we went two goals clear. However, they managed to pull it back to a draw with two goals late on. We had a tough, close game against Wolves. We edged it I felt but couldn't get the goal we needed to come away with maximum points. League Cup action saw us take on Cambridge (Lammers 78, 85). I tried the tiki-takka approach with a rotated side but we struggled to create much - even when they went down to ten men. The last game of the month saw us take on Leicester (Tapia 12, 30, Gustavo 14, Salvador 25). I was bowled over by our performance - Tapia struck twice ( a corner and close tap-in), Gusatvo went on a mazy run and finish and Salvador struck a 20-yard thunderbolt! It was a dream performance from the new boys!

Table.JPG.052a48435711d5dd6fa7f3ac1af73832.JPG

So month one sees us finish two places above where we expected to be and right in the mixer with all the sorts of teams that we want to be looking in the eye. Lets see if we can keep this up as the season moves on!

Fix.JPG.13931b81817f5f8e0e8c984c6e4c2eff.JPG

It's not hard to see what the headline fixture is this month. I haven't beaten any of the big six sides yet so it would be good to change that as soon as possible. We're lucky to have what looks like a winable game in the cup but I won't be risking the tiki-takka in that one given how it killed our creativity with a rotated side.

September 2027

Res.JPG.60ba86bb159b34da10cb1709124bcdc1.JPG

Well if I was pretty pleased with what August offered up, I was absolutely stunned by how we followed it up in September. Following the international break, we took on Man Utd (Tapia 5, 47). I was yet to beat a 'big six' club but two corner goals from Tapia combined with a solid clean sheet gave us the win. We followed this up with a game against West Brom (Fekir 5, Kartsev 15) and we took control through a superb free-kick from Fekir and an edge-of-the-box thunderbolt from Kartsev. In the cup, we took on Nottingham Forest (Lammers 15, Saliba 36, OG 62). It was a heavily-rotated side but, using our control possession, we dominated the game and line ourselves up a favourable tie against League One Plymouth. The final game of the month saw us play close rivals Everton (Bellerin 45+1). The game was exactly as close as we expected it to be and a super strike from captain Bellerin was just enough to hand us the win.

Table.JPG.93dd76e2e5853d7a7aa42c50fc76ec6b.JPG

At the end of September, the table makes pretty reading. We making an early go in the title race and, while I'm not expecting that to last, it's certainly nice to see ourselves four points into the top four and that gives me some that we could make a serious push for this as the season goes on. I want to keep the good start going for as long as possible and earn us some slack for later in the season if we can!

Fix.JPG.7d9e0741bea86ece4920df010fdcf583.JPG

The month can't start with a much higher-profile than the game against Spurs. As you can see, my former employers are currently third so, like the Man U game, a win here would be a serious marker for what we can expect this season. Leeds are 11th, Southampton 14th and Norwich 18th so again these need to be the sorts of games that we're banking points in if we want to make a serious European push. The other game of the month sees our League cup campaign carry on against Plymouth and I hope that a rotated side can deal comfortably with that game again.

October 2027

Res.JPG.556a4ae4c6e1250099ac6267bf65949a.JPG

If was wondering why on Earth I'd taken this job on at the end of last season, the last couple of months have helped to assure me that there might be some serious reward in having done so! Game on saw us take on Tottenham (Gabriel 69). As well as being derby rivals, Spurs are also at the top end of the table so a win was vital. According to the xG, Spurs dominated the game throughout but a corner scored by stalwart Gabriel was enough to give us the three points. Against Leeds (Tapia 54, 70), Tapia showed his skills and his two second-half goals meant that, even when they got a late consolation, they weren't ever likely to get more. The run continued against Southampton (Martinelli 16, 58) where Martinelli smashed home two great headers either side of half time to contine our sparkling run. A completely-rotated XI played Plymouth (Nketiah 21, 62, pen 66) and it doesn't take a genius to work out who was doing all the damage there! Finally, we had a frustrating game against Norwich which was surprisingly even considering I thought it would give us a straight-forward three points.

Table.JPG.9a6409d53375b674bd60fd49b38975ca.JPG

The table continues to look pretty good - I don't know what more I can say. We're still in the title race and are a healthy six points off fifth-place Liverpool. The board love me and all is well in the world... at the moment.

Fix.JPG.fc8133be62d3d44a12195c67ff1534a5.JPG

15th, 16th and 12th face us in the next month which is shortened due to the international break. If we can bank this one, we really should be in a good place!

November 2027

Res.JPG.cc952b3f2427b07d0d10eb51009d8d93.JPG

Three games - three wins - in November - with us at the top of the table - feels like a serious title challenge could, just could be coming on here. It didn't look like it for much of the Sheffield United (Nketiah 90+1, Gustavo 90+2, Musah 90+5). We dominated the game throughout but it looked like we were going to throw it away when we let them slide Brewster through and take the lead. My team had other ideas in mind though and the superb-Gustavo took control, crossing for Nketiah before going on a mazy run and scoring himself! Against Middlesbrough (Tapia 2, Saliba 72), corners led the day with them providing both our goals. We gave ourselves a scare when Boro equalised but ultimately walked away with all three points. Finally, we took on Aston Villa (Gustavo 4, Tapia 17, Fekir 36, Martinelli 40). We had something of a scare when Gustavo went off injured but Collado took his place and went on the rampage - having a hand in the other three goals. The problem will be coping without Gustavo for most of the next month.

Table.JPG.56a04f8f237b9b00cbf1f36fe4799e73.JPG

Well here we are - a monthly update and we're top of the table. However, it's only because we're due to play Man City today so that could all change pretty quickly. Being seven points above Spurs in fifth is still a pretty amazing position to be in though and I look forward to taking that forward.

Fix.JPG.058e7b62b8a83b507b866107edaae616.JPG

Well there's rarely a dull month in English football and December isn't bucking that trend. In league terms, we're taking on fierce title rivals Man City before also facing Liverpool and Brighton who are both in the mixer at the top end. Bournemouth are 12th and Newcastle are 11th so I wouldn't view either of those games as a walk-over either. Chelsea are our opponents in the League Cup and we'll putting out a strong team. With no European fixtures, I believe we should be making a real go of it in the cups.

December 2027

Res.JPG.4e3ea4fbc79d3f7d2ecc5c7be83a422e.JPG

The season so far has been an amazing run. It feels like this month has been the first stone in the road but there's still plenty of season to work it all out right. First up were title rivals Man City. They dominated the game and we really didn't get much of a look in. This led to our first defeat this season; it's only December though and we've still got plenty of time to go. Next up, we took on relegation-threatened Bournemouth (Martinelli 32, Tapia 90+5). Twice we were pegged back by the bottom-half side and twice we fought back - the second time in the last minute of the game to get us out of back-to-back defeats. I came into the Liverpool (Martinelli 15, Tapia 31, Saliba 80) with a fair amount of trepidation. I need not have worried however as we took Liverpool apart. The highlight of game was Martinelli's mazy run that gave us the first goal. In the cup, we played Chelsea (Nketiah 83). To say they battered us would be an understatement but we kept it at 0-0 for most of the game. Getting equal late on gave me some hope but Chelsea finished the game off to progress at our expense. Back in the league, we took on Brighton (Martinelli 89). We took complete control of the game throughout but somehow let them get a two goal lead. Despite Martinelli's effort, we couldn't level it up and left with our second league defeat of the season. Finally, Newcastle (Tapia 18, Martinelli 34, Gustavo pen. 76) rounded off the month. The highlight here was certainly Martinelli's effort - a mazy run finished through the defender's legs and past the keeper.

Table.JPG.4b13dbe0664fc229060b4c7fe6e50e07.JPG

Despite the month's tough going, our league place hasn't suffered too much. Man City have gained a six point lead on us now and I think it will take a serious effort to reign them back in by the end of the season but we're still five points clear of Liverpool so I'm hopeful that we can achieve a Champ's League place by the end of the season at least.

Fix.JPG.6ce41b645e337c6d3105238ac45a0293.JPG

January has a simply enormous fixture run in it and it's going to test our squad to the max. There are some postions where I have full confidence in the second-choice players but there are several where I don't and it's going to be interesting to see how that works out over the course of the month. Of course, the cup could throw even more games in assuming we progress past Newcastle which I really hope we will.

January 2028

Res.JPG.2d918176041537d31a6116a32479205b.JPG

With the number of games we got through, I'm going to need to write a small novel to cover this month! We started off against Newcastle (Adarabioyo 63) in the cup. They scored early and we really struggled to get into the game - a header from CB Adarbioyo was enough to give us another crack at the tie. We took on Chelsea (Martinelli 49) in the month's first league game. Despite them dominating comfortably, we stole the lead the second half - it didn't last though and they went on to get three points. Salvador also picked up a knock seeing him out for the forseeable. We returned to cup duty to play Newcastle (Saka 25 Nketiah 90+1). Tapia left us to take part in Olympic qualifying and we struggled. Twice Newcastle led and twice we pegged them back but we couldn't answer their extra-time goal. No win in three took us onto Wolves (Kartsev 12, 90, Nketiah 17, 90+5, Martinelli 19, 28, Adarabioyo 74). Before this game we lost Gustavo  so I was seriously worried but it turns out I had no need to be! We followed this form up in smashing Leicester (Gustavo 19, 34, Nketiah 32, Mousah 83) before two set plays beat West Ham (Martinelli pen 68, Adarabioyo 90+4). Our run of wins carried on against West Brom (Saliba 22, Kartsev 49) and we beat Everton (Martinelli 52, 66) to round out the month. Tapia was injured on international duty so hasn't played a minute since he left!

Table.JPG.4590e7ff787f9dbb05d83098f90de8f7.JPG

That run of five wins in a row has helped us to increase our chances of Champs League qualification. Spurs do have a game in hand but, being seven points ahead of them, I'm hopeful that we can keep going and nab a top-four spot by the end of the season. Man City are only a point ahead of us but do have two games in hand. I really don't see anyone except them winning the title if I'm honest.

Ins.JPG.e812da511b5d9f0437fdeaa40e9c84a4.JPG Outs.JPG.06176a5cf04cc574f339d1a6fd51e7cf.JPG

The January transfer window saw us bring in two Brazillian youngsters on free transfers. Athos in particular looks like a real future star so it will be interesting to see how he progresses. The outs were mostly loans. I did cut off the sale of our sub keeper Tenas. It was £10 million that I simply couldn't turn down for someone who didn't play!

Fix.JPG.7ddf54b9edb4c4379550363f01935956.JPG

There might only be three games next month but what games they are! The first two could really see us put on hand on a Champ's league place for next season or leave it open to real jeopardy. Leeds are tenth and, as ever, are always a potential banana skin.

February 2028

Res.JPG.26b47d0a42d2cc7f8483d613346dbbe5.JPG

Well I said that February was a short month as far as games go and, with results like these, it can only be good thing! The month kicked off against Man Utd (Martinelli 58). They dominated the game but it didn't stop us taking the lead. They equalised and I thought that the points would be shared until they nabbed them all with an injury-time corner. To make matters worse, we lost super-star Gustavo for the next two - three months too! Next up were derby rivals Tottenham. This was an absolute horror-show, easily my worst result of the save. We simply didn't turn up and they demolished us at a canter. We finished the month against Leeds Utd (Fekir 2). When Fekir got us up and running through an early free-kick, I thought we were bound to win. We dominated the game but didn't score, let them come back in and we shared the points ... grrrr.

Table.JPG.c94ec9c0d6b2f2b1ffac7e459d42c69a.JPG

So the month sees us finish in third. It's all getting really tight round about now and, while I'm pretty sure we'll get European football of some sort, I'm beginning to worry that we might lose that lucrative top-four spot. We need to pull our finger out and fast!

Fix.JPG.350ecc45634e82af52d35b9725891b6d.JPG

Three games again next month and they are all bottom-half times. Surely, we must do better than we did last month? We really need to rake some points in and start to open that gap again. Come on Gunners - we can do it - I hope ...

March 2028

Res.JPG.b15c6523fc758a47d80b15290ec6b613.JPG

Another three game month follows the disaster that was February. Game one saw us take on Southampton. The game was tight all the way through and easily could have gone either way. They, however, nicked the goal in the 74th minute and our woeful form carried on. In the run up to the Norwich (Nketiah 15, Saka 59) game, we got the bad news that Martinelli was going to spend some time out injured. I need not have worried though as my second-choice wingers supplied both goals and we broke our winless run. I thought we were back to bad news when we went a goal down against Middlesbrough (Saka 54, Tapia 57). However, after my half-time hysterics, the Saka smashed one home off the bar and Tapia broke his goalless run after a nice 1-2.

Table.JPG.82fb66dcd24142c4e42a017fc73ac088.JPG

So, we carried on slipping down the table and are now in fourth place. It's still in our hands though as we have five points on Chelsea. We do have both Man City and Liverpool in our final run-in though so I hope Chelsea do us a favour and lose a few points along the way.

Fix.JPG.c098681bdbc64a7849b347109a403d4f.JPG

A busy month awaits after our last two three-game specials. We have both Liverpool and Man City in our final run-in to spice things up too. I feel like we're going to really need to cash in on the month's other three games in order to emerge from this month in the place that want to be. I think our top-four place is right on the line with those two heavyweight games but let's see what we can do!

April 2028

Res.JPG.e4643e8e5f8a5e4ec92d52a73edd78c5.JPG

Having looked at the results this month, it's pretty hard to say anything other than our slip-and-slide continues. The month began well when we took on Sheffield United (Saliba 45, Saka 63). Saliba's superb header from a Fekir corner and Saka smashing it into the near top corner gave us the three points. We headed up to Birmingham to play Aston Villa. It was a game of two halves; a long ball over the top was enough to see them score in the first half that they dominated but we couldn't do enough in the half we dominated to put the ball in the back of the net. Against Liverpool (Nketiah 88), we were totally out-classed. They took us apart at will and it really made me consider the need to get new full backs to compete with the very best. Finally, we took on Brighton (Martinelli 69). They scored in the first half and I thought we were on for a shock defeat that could really derail our top-four hopes but top-scorer Martinelli came up with the goods to get us back in.

Table.JPG.29bc9f93db0700b88de85015ffa2cdc3.JPG

It's squeaky-bum time as a certain famous manager said. If we win all three of our remaining games, then a top-four place is ours by rights so by that standard, it's still in our own hands. However, with the form we're in and the fact that one of those games is against Man City, I think that three wins is going to be a tall order. I just hope that we can get two wins and that will do!

Fix.JPG.80c15c976ea544cbf94b49e95439de1d.JPG

May 2028

Res.JPG.31b6e9292e6d1da68e72cb3b273dd1c1.JPG

And our season well and truly peters out. I thought that two wins would give us a decent chance of qualifying for the Champ's League. Little did I know that we wouldn't even get one! Game one against Bournemouth (Martinelli 45+2) saw us self-destruct when Salvador was sent off in the 31st minute. Against all the odds, we did grab a lead but couldn't hold it in the second half. It was a classic against Man City (Tapia 11, 58, Martinelli 15). We were always chasing from very early moments of the game. I was pleased with the way we chased though even if we couldn't keep them out. I've got to look at signing some full backs I think. The final game of the season saw us take on Newcastle (Tapia 16) and I hoped we could finish the season with a positive gloss - we didn't though. They scored early and bossed the game. We nabbed a goal and a point but finish the season with a run of six games without a win - worrying stuff.

Table.JPG.685e0e74352968ea3d90d971949a0b54.JPG

So our plunge continues and we end up 6th. To be fair, had I been offered this before the season began, I would not have been too disappointed but when we were as high as 2nd at one point, the way our season self-imploded is really worrying. I want to be managing in the Champ's League and really thought we were going to achieve that this season but our collapse leaves us short.

Edited by RaySunshine

Season Review

XI.JPG.e9f5a97236b82f7dd8c0a336161eb9a5.JPG

The seasons-best XI matches almost exactly the team that I played when all my first choices were fit. It's interesting to read my season review of last season where I mentioned that full backs were an area of concern. I think this season shows that I really should have done something about it - they came up short in the big games especially.

Awards.JPG.76f580b04ae11480b37af2e4b9daf0a2.JPG

I'm not surprised at all by the sweep of awards that Fekir took. He really shone throughout the season but - at the age of 34 - I do wonder how much longer I'll be able to rely on him for this level of form. Martinelli's goal-scoring form was pretty good and I hope that Tapia can really take that on and get 20+ if he's not taken out the team by internationals and injury next season.

Budget.JPG.043aa4de7209672b3cf71d573eed5a66.JPG

It's a fair budget that we have to work with and we certainly have a good chunk of wage available for bringing people in. I'm always wary though as returning loanees changed quickly what I thought was rosy picture this way last season!

Vision.JPG.e44143b73e724080a3b84a2396bf7afa.JPG

Here is our vision - the aim is to be top half next season working towards being the best of the rest in years to come. It's not too inspiring but also means I have something of a security blanket available. Can I get a move to somewhere a little more likely to land me trophies? Let's see...

Pre-season

Trans.thumb.JPG.082bb69a5905de24446e3ffa2caa92de.JPG

It's been another busy pre-season and our biggest signing isn't even on there! The signing of 20yo RB Majola from Tornio was really part of my scheme to strengthen up the backline. This was followed by the signing of GK Dias to replace the retiring Leno and Cremer who was an amazing CB available on a free transfer. Galavan as a 90+ rated player available for almost nothing as his contract at Nacional was expiring and Golovin was brought in to strengthen the midfield - again a top quality player on a free. The squad was begninning to become aged and become bloated so I went for something of a clearout. Names like Lammers, Gabriel, Justin, Tierney and Collado were all part of this.

Prediction.JPG.931235afc2e7e49f080add993e84d804.JPG

We may have only gone up one place in the predicitons but our overall odds have dropped from 151 to 51 so that makes me feel a lot better. Southampton and Everton also have the same odds though so it looks like competition is going to fierce.

preseason.JPG.b1ddaa1a3c6c75178c26a9eea5aa5fb2.JPG

Pre-season has been nothing too remarkable. In the first two games, I gave Leno 45 mins  as his final goodbyes. Other than that, not too much write home about yet. The eagle-eyed among you though will have noticed that I've not yet finished pre-season and that's because we're on the move again...

England

EngIn.JPG.a84f38a210637cdbdfd501d058891b40.JPG

The biggest job in world football has come up - I'm the England manager! I decided to resign from the job as Arsenal manager immediately for two (maybe three reasons). Firstly, in reality, you would never be able to be the England manager alongside a club at the same time and secondly I've found international management much more fun if it's your total focus and not a distraction from your club job. Finally, I can't get the Spurs job while I'm the Arsenal boss and now I can!

WR.JPG.f7b94a989f94c4c7358b9144af5fffa7.JPG

So the world rankings see us in fourth place. England got to the final of the 2024 World Cup and the QFs of the recent European Championship so let's see how we go from there!

Fix.JPG.dc1fe2fef8c5628a1690cfb6cdeb8aae.JPG

So my first games in the England job will be in the Nations' League Group A. We face Denmark and Slovenia so these should be winnable games for sure.

September 2028

Squad.JPG.efe7f6779dc49f831afea4ad22c44c19.JPG

Here is my first England squad! The big call I made was to bring in James Black - a young RB who has become first choice at Spurs over the last couple of seasons. Tomori and Aarons were the two players to miss out. However, not long after the squad was announced, Mount picked up an injury and was swapped for Hudson-Odoi. I'll go through my first starting XI in more detail below.

XI.JPG.a9a5b55733944d9ce272029297f6319a.JPG

Ramsdale: Still at Sheffield United who have become Prem League stalwarts in FM-land. A high-quality keeper but acutally second-choice to newgen Samuel.

James: The Chelsea RB is now the England captain. An experienced head in the backline and I'm expecting him to do well.

Godfrey: Godfrey also remains at his current club and has become a national and international stalwart over the last few years.

Gomez: He has to compete for his place at Liverpool but, for England, he's one of the best there is.

Chilwell: Still at Chelsea but seeming to be past his prime. I'm not sure many high-quality replacements are around so this position could soon become a tricky one.

Skipp: Skipp made a £34 million pound move to Old Trafford in 2025 and has racked up a few trophies in the meantime.

Foden: £132 million pounds took Foden to Barca in 2026. He's yet to win any of the big trophies but time is on his side.

Greenwood: £129 million saw Greenwood take up residence in Paris and a collection of league titles comes with it too.

Brown: The newgen came through in the first season of the game at Wolves. £79 million has just taken him to Chelsea and his first season in the capital.

Sancho: In FM-land, it takes a long time for the golden boy to get to Old Trafford. £104 million to Chelsea in 2023, £172 million to Real in 2025 and £150 million to OT in 2027. He must be racking up one of the biggest transfer totals in football history!

Kane: A true one-club man. He's still playing for Spurs and has a pretty decent trophy cabinet to show for it including the 2022 World Cup. Can we win another or will he have hung up his boots by then?

England v Denmark, Nation's League A, 01.09.28

Den.JPG.b106f04f21386b4eefd9a0a139f1b74f.JPG

As far as the job goes, you can't get a much better start than this one! A tap-in from Sancho was the first goal of my reign and James scored the highlight with his 18-yard thunderbolt. Seeing Thompson get his first England goal was a pretty good moment too.

Slovenia v England, Nation's League A, 04.09.28

Slov.JPG.9b5c70d72dd647df2954aba6ca563590.JPG

We made much harder work of this game but did what we had to do in the end. Sancho scored the first after a James shot was parried to his feet and it took us until the last minute to make the result sure with Godfrey smashing home from a corner. Two out of two...

Table.thumb.JPG.20ff769d9ad46cff5bfd7963f9ad3d3a.JPG

We finish the break top of the group but on level points with clear competitors Belgium. We face them in our next game so there's all to play for!

October 2028

Squad.JPG.5af84386dabbc0d9bd2cb4fbd6bb7eec.JPG

Here is the squad take 2. The big decision for me was to drop Jordan Pickford who has been dropped as Everton keeper and I felt like he couldn't keep his place in the squad while he wasn't playing a single minute. Dean Henderson who has got a few appearances for Southampton takes his spot. The other decison I made was to drop Mason Mount and called DCL into the squad. Will that work - we'll see!

Belgium v England, Nations' League A, 06.10.28

Bel.JPG.5fc158fc94286e7b880d180dd4234703.JPG

If we were holding a 'get out of jail free card', we used it in the first half here! Belgium absolutely battered us and we came in reeling. I let the team know exactly what I thought of them and sent them back out with a flea in their ear. We took control in the second half and ended the game with the higher xG. No goal however meant that the points were shared.

Denmark v England, Nations' League A,

Den.JPG.5813fb709cd7bf3d3f5c179fe7bbc062.JPG

We certainly could have done with some luck here as pretty much everything went against us. Their first goal was penalty, goal 2 a deep cross and then a corner left us in a mess at 3 - 0. We'd dominated the half though so I pushed on in the second to see what we could reclaim. We pushed on as the second half wore on - taking Kane off actually helped with Rashford smashing a beauty home and Alexander-Arnold striking after a superb Rashford set-up. We still came up one short though.

Table.thumb.JPG.9c2f48df5eeb95fcf87d895c44ace919.JPG

The shock defeat in Denmark leaves us second in the group and three points behind Belgium. They did batter us in the game out there but we held on and have to do better at our own place. Before that, we have a friendly against Mexico to give us our first non-European opponents.

• 3 weeks later...

November 2028

Squad.JPG.585ba6f1a01f3eba6bb7300017148ba1.JPG

So here is the November squad. Barnes and Yakubu have been brought in in order to let me have a look at future options for the LB spot. Chilwell is not getting any younger so I feel the need to have a look there. Hiard has also been playing well and I felt the need to give him the chance to play too.

England v Mexico, Friendly, 08.11.28

Mex.JPG.5aa731eb70d2051d1c96287a0a1933bf.JPG

Mexico caught us all out - smashing home a 25 yard screamer past Samuel in the goal. Foden floated a beauty of a free kick into the far post and Sancho snuck past everyone to smash it home. We played well, created more of the chances and had superb xG but didn't get the goals to show for it.

England v Belgium Nations' League A, 11.11.28

Bel.JPG.36f46111769674ea7b97ab64532208b7.JPG

I decided to strengthen the midfield for this game so brought in Garner who's a bit more of a tackler and it sure paid off! Greenwood scored after a fine move in the box involving both Foden and Rashford and that took us to 1-0 up at HT. The second half was dream stuff! Sancho went on a superb, Giggs-style  run and goal, Alexander-Arnold floated in a free-kick from which Godfrey peeled away from everyone to score a tight-corner finish and Garner scored after a superb run-and-cross from Bellingham.

England v Slovenia, Nations' League A, 14.11.28

Slov.JPG.f7f277affec61e33d884752c3d1309ba.JPG

We knew that, provided we bettered their result, we would top Belgium in the group and go on to the semi-finals of the tournament. Another chance for that all-elusive silverware maybe? Slovenia proved a tough nut to crack though. Greenwood made a super run down the right and his cross was tucked home at the far post by Sancho and another superb run by Greenwood saw him hacked down and Rashford tucked away the resulting pen.

Table.JPG.ca39485abec71914bd0c20cbf8b82fdc.JPG

Belgium drew their game so we win the group outright and go onto the semi-finals of the competition - can't say better than that. Slovenia managed a couple of draws but wasn't enough to save the from relegation. On to 2029...

December 2028

WCQG.JPG.2d49c37b388255f0e4573ca7453fbb5f.JPG

December saw the draw for the World Cup Qualifiers and this is what we've got. We'll be facing Sweden as our closest opposition with none of the other teams worrying me too much. The England-Scotland games will be great I'm sure too!

SF.JPG.2be15eb4a38b13286a9c3875dd005c32.JPG

With Scotland having come up in our World Cup Group, the Nations' League decided it had to top it by handing us Germany in the semis! Plenty of exciting games await!

March 2029

Squad.JPG.0e6eb7a71cfb3db8ad15405840cf9241.JPG

The squad has seen a few major changes since the one called together last year. Pickford has played a few games for Everton and, on that basis, replaces Dean Henderson. Likewise, Tony Thompson drops out and is replaced by Marcus Edwards who has been playing well in Portugal. Up front, Hiard drops out and is replaced by Spurs youngster Baxter. Finally, Baraza comes in to replace Yakubu and Declan Rice drops out in favour of the in-form Mason Mount.

England v Scotland, WCQ, 23.03.29

Scot.JPG.875f0eb3eb50a5fd64cb31b13572f6ab.JPG

World Cup qualification began against familiar foes Scotland. It was tough and they chased the game throughout. Mount took a place in lieu of the suspended Skipp. An own-goal gave us a first-half lead after a mazy Greenwood run and Brown smashed home a set-up by experienced Harry Kane.

Bosnia v England, WCQ, 26.03.29

Bos.JPG.38faf459140f35c178d24602b158a802.JPG

The game began on our terms with Foden whipping a corner into the mix and Sancho profiting. Despite dominating the first half, we went in only 1-0 up. Straight after HT, a desperate backline tackle fell to Rashford who smashed it home. Bosnia scored against the run of play through a long ball over the top where Gomez was beaten by his man. Rashford however restored our gap when Foden won the ball in the press and laid it off for Rasford to finish. Bosnia had another shock in the locker though with a superb cross and finish to make it 3-2. We held on though and got our second win.

WCQG.JPG.1c1006356bd66b0960adc63e659a6c5b.JPG

The two-win start leaves us top of the group and three points clear - although Sweden, our closest real opponent, have played a game fewer. It's as good a start as we could have had so let's keep going.

Fix.JPG.a03c94af7adfc2844d4fba109a461f8d.JPG

Our next window sees us playing two pretty serious games. The pick has to be that game against Germany though. Can we beat them and get on into the UEFA Nations' League Final? Let's see!

Edited by RaySunshine

June 2029

Squad.JPG.4747ccf352f0c07f7127f56428cde7e1.JPG

After the squad did pretty well last time out, I didn't really feel the need to make many changes for this one. I'll keep looking at keepers and LBs but with just tournament football being played in this window, it didn't seem the time to be trying players out.

England v Germany, Nations' League Semi-Final, 30.05.29

Ger.JPG.059f134cc09dc20024910f0abbd78b28.JPG

The game was pretty close for most of the first half. In the 39th minute, Sancho recycled a lost corner, played it out to Foden who's cross was smashed home by Greenwood. Just on the stroke of HT, we won a penalty and Sancho dispatched it. We took control throughout the second half but Germany had pinched a goal back to keep things tense. In the last few minutes, substitutes combined with Edwards sliding the ball through to the Spurs youngster Baxter for his first England goal and it sends us on our way to the final.

England v Italy, Nations' League Final, 03.06.29

It.JPG.8d58826f553aab2cfe63440db09be37a.JPG

Well - how to describe this game? I thought we were doing well to be 2-0 up in 20 mins. They pulled one back in the second half but we extended our lead to 3-1. It wasn't enough though as Italy got two late goals to take it into extra time. We then got a fourth but that wasn't enough again as Italy got a fourth to equalise. Finally though, Greenwood completed his hattrick to give us the win and my first trophy of the save!

Troph.JPG.ad95f0b847a16c586abe67d9b76193d7.JPG

Trophies always look nice so I felt the need to put this picture up! I didn't get the whole trophy-lifting cut scene so felt a bit robbed - this was the best I got!

Fix.JPG.c912f3e178b2198ea1b18c9a1f81219b.JPG

So next month we take on Holland in a friendly which will complete our 28/29 internationals. It will be the first without Pickford who has announced his intention to retire so one of the players I was looking at in the Championship may well be called up to international duties.

June 2029 Part 2

Squad.JPG.c580baae02c397798a4b0d8199c27b04.JPG

The squad shows very little change. Jordan Pickford has retired so West Ham keeper Malcom Small came in to replace him. There was a lot of flack in calling up a Championship player but, seeing as I already had the only two regular top-flight keepers, it seemed like the sensible choice. The other choice to be deemed controversial was that of Kane. As far as I'm concerned, he's still that player who could pop up and do something even if it's off the bench these days.

England v Holland, Friendly, 12.06.29

Holl.JPG.081a38f12c4832f83b95126e5d482b6f.JPG

Recognise this score from Wembley? Greenwood opened the scoring with tucking home a shot at the near post and this was followed up by captain Reece James smashing home a superb effort. Just on HT, we were sent into dreamland when Garner picked out James on the right-hand side and sent a superb cross in for Rashford to smash home. Rashford doubled up in the second half when Greenwood got the ball on the break and sent him through one-on-one to finish. In the second half, Holland gave us a proper run-around and sub keeper Small had to produce a string of high-class saves to keep the score what it was.

Fix.JPG.7910a43f13455300c88759abc996c190.JPG

So we don't play again until September to let the close season run its course. World Cup qualification resumes in September and we should get two wins. Given our recent run, I'm really looking forward to taking this lot to a tournament so let's make sure that we qualify!

September 2029

Squad.JPG.3062a73155ce18b60095a020e1bddabc.JPG

Look here for the news - no Harry Kane! I did wonder as we came into this window but he hasn't really played for Spurs - just one substitue appearance. So he drops out and Liam Delap who has played three and scored three comes into the squad. Other than that, no news.

England v Montenegro, WCQ, 06.09.21

Mont.JPG.755de6e80a3cd649b649781b23d694d4.JPG

Kane or not, goals were certainly not a problem here. I won't describe them all in detail as that will take quite a while so I'll pick out two of the best. The opening goal came on the end of a superb passing move with Greenwood giving slide-rule pass that Rashford finished. For Rashford's second goal, Sancho went on a mazy run beating two opponents before sliding the ball through for Rashford to finish.

Sweden v England, WCQ, 10.09.29

Swed.JPG.776fee8628e09095f87b392e2c7fe996.JPG

Having scored a hat-ful last time out, we took on Sweden looking to carry on our good fortune. The only bad news was losing Mason Greenwood through injury so Nathan Cox was brought into the squad after having had a superb season for Dortmund. We were shocked by an early ball over the top that put Abraham through and saw him score. Soon after, we won a free kick and Edwards smashed it home. I got excited when they had a man sent off but we couldn't make it count. A last minute goal-chance came through to Cox but a superb save denied him and we have to make do with the point.

Table.JPG.cdc4d2cdd28b7530a8ef5b1f8c411339.JPG

So, as it stands, we're second but we have a game in hand over Scotland and the opportunity to play them in the next window. We should still qualify from the group without too much difficulty as far as I'm concerned.

Fix.JPG.f5e242a726c11a0eaf9ba8588eed40f3.JPG

Next month, we take on Scotland and Bosnia. I expect no less than two wins to see us through and on our way. Come on England!

October 2029

Squad.JPG.0b7bdacf48c49916320c5bcdb754651c.JPG

So here is the squad - completely unchanged from the last time out. I did look at some positions but nothing really stood out to the point where I felt ready to drop someone in the squad. There's some competition for LB coming in and Kane will always be an option for CF but we are where are at the moment.

Scotland v England, WCQ, 13.10.29

Scot.JPG.7cfd82243828798a20bef4e8d730eee1.JPG

The shock came early on in this game. Scotland took the lead in the sixth minute and we had a moment of panic. However, thirty mins later, Greenwood saw Rashford beat the offside trap and sent a beauty of a ball over the top for Rashford to square up against the keeper and smash home. In the second half, Rashford returned the favour: holding the ball up for Greenwood to take it on and complete the turnaround.

England v Bosnia, WCQ, 17.10.29

Bos.JPG.9399ffbf565d94d095b495fc2035afd0.JPG

We got going early on this one. Mount replaced the suspended Skipp and swung the corner in for Godfrey to head home. From there on, we took control with Mount running the midfield superbly. Aside from the early start, the pick of the goals was Rashford's who smashed home coming off the left flank after James sent over a stunner of a cross!

Table.JPG.370120782c4c9e66153d6ec20eb40f85.JPG

We're still top of the group and we still have a game in hand. With us being the only country yet to suffer a defeat, I'm pretty confident that we can qualify without too much trouble but, as it stands, it's coming down to the last two games...

Fix.JPG.030d5a702c456e3eb65a1e7e7c72a6d8.JPG

... which will see us play Montenegro and Sweden! By my maths, if we beat Montenegro - and we really should - we've qualified. I want to do better than that though. Let's get to the world cup unbeaten!

November 2029

Squad.JPG.263fd817b1e0dac5d9e0157e3cf83071.JPG

The squad once again remains unchanged! I did look seriously at a newgen called Sharp who's scored six goals in seven starts for Chelsea but I just couldn't see someone that I was prepared to drop from the squad at the moment.

Montenegro v England, WCQ, 16.11.29

Mont.JPG.5e0fb336631bd586c44d98f93cbbd9b0.JPG

Another game against Montenegro leads to another six-nil win! My major call was to start Baxter as I wanted him to have the chance to score a few goals before the world cup begins. He delivered the first - curling home a 20-yard strike after a free-kick pinball dropped to him. Mount's goal was the pick of the bunch - a superb strike from a long way out guided into the bottom corner.

England v Sweden, WCQ, 20.11.29

Swed.JPG.da131233fca3efcdc746f04fee6aa8cf.JPG

Despite having qualified for the World Cup with our last win, I wanted to finish the tournament qualifiers unbeaten. We duly did. The game was much closer than the last, as you'd expect. Sancho swept home a Foden free-kick just before half-time. Then, with the game drawing to a close, Reece James sent Delap through one-on-one with the keeper and he hit a superb strike to give us the win. That means both Baxter and Delap have got goals before the tournament run-in next year.

Table.JPG.3a05370c9bda888d4a6a879452d1ff3a.JPG

We finish the group unbeaten and, as we know, we are going to the World Cup. I'm pleased that we didn't lose a game and qualified so comfortably from the group. There are no games to look forward to yet. When we know our group, in December I presume, I will pick some friendlies against similar teams to them as well as friendlies against some of the world's best earlier in the year. That's the plan anyway!

December 2029

WCG.JPG.a7974070f453e94cee886479a99e6580.JPG

So, after much waiting, here is our World Cup group. It looks like a pretty straight-forward affair but then, with the increase in the number of countries taking part in the tournament, that's what most the groups look like. I've promptly booked friendlies against Mali and Iraq to warm us up prior to the tournament. I'll be booking some more challenging friendlies in the rest of the year to see where the squad is at.

March 2030

Squad.JPG.1ab5da977fb3cd4f0899d7f286b086fe.JPG

The squad remained the same - or at least it did when I chose it. Not long after, Marcus Edwards was injured with his club so Reiss Nelson, now playing for Wolfsburg, was called into the squad. There were a couple of youngsters I was tempted to have a look at but I decided in the end that this was about firming up my World Cup squad.

England v Brazil, Friendly, 27.03.30

Bras.JPG.145d798deb8d9586786745153fe7a303.JPG

We'd played plenty of European opponents via the Nations' League so I wanted to see what South America had to offer. Brazil are the world number ones so they felt like a pretty good test! The first half was dominated by Brazil and we were fortunate to get in at 0-0. We then stole the lead when Alexander-Arnold played in Mount who snuck it home at the near post. Brazil came up the other end with a ball over the top that caught our defence standing and left Jorge to make a superb finish. It looked like the game was going finish all-square until TAA smashed home a beauty of a free-kick to give us a somewhat undeserved win!

England v Uruguay, Friendly, 30.03.30

Uru.JPG.843bcfad4f71ece5be7548c58d7940d0.JPG

A game against Uruguay completed our South American double-header. We took an early lead when Mount looped in a deep cross and Rashford headed home. This was followed up smartly by James who smashed the ball home after an assist by that man Mount. Cox had been brought in to replace Nelson who had been brought in to replace Edwards! He made the most of his chance though with a tidy finish.

Fix.JPG.0cf6880813b23a12fd340027597d4d5d.JPG

Next up, it's the World Cup. It doesn't get much bigger than this! According to Steam, only 3% of us have lifted the trophy this time round (Tell me if you're one of them and who with!). Can I join them? Only a crazy summer of tournament football will reveal the answer...

April 2030

In the run-up to the World Cup, our next group for the Nations' League has to be drawn and here it is...

Table.JPG.6ff8f36b62afcc222d280886fa285753.JPG

So we keep the familar opponents of Belgium from last time around and then add Norway and Portugal to the mix. It looks like a group that's going to give us a real challenge so it will be interesting to see how we get on... if I'm still the England manager by then! We have a World Cup to survive after all!

World Cup Build Up

Squad2.JPG.9917d0f1fa33251c712c6cc8279f399e.JPG

So here is the squad that's going to take us to the World Cup. I don't think there's an awful lot to report really. I did have a look at few other players but I felt that, in conclusion, it was best to stick with what you know. The only close-run postition was between Nathan Cox and Marcus Edwards where Cox just snatched the place through dint of playing for a bigger club in a bigger league.

England v Mali, Pre-tournament friendly, 03.06.30

Mali.JPG.5f38041f3082d3ef88e47a2bfe665f15.JPG

With the World Cup having more teams in it now, I knew that the squad would be important. I wanted to be sure that a half-strength team could deliver and they did! Rasford got us going early after some penalty-box pinball and Garner followed up when Baraza picked him out at the edge of the box. Rashford made it three in 15 when he put home an TAA effort deflected his way. He completed the hat-trick just after HT when he put home a Bellingham shot.

England v Iraq, Pre-tournament friendly, 06.06.30

Iraq.JPG.9b0c403dcaec892553a0adc4770a239b.JPG

Friendly two had the same purpose and the same result. Delap got goal one - Cox sent in the cross and Delap headed it home. His second goal was a smart finish low down to the right when Sancho had played him through. TAA won the ball, passed it Mount who passed it in and then smashed it home. Finally, Baraza got his first England goal from a tight corner.

Fix.JPG.334594bf95c5d4070a85653fa792dbb2.JPG

So next up its the real deal. A week to go and the World Cup begins. Having tested it in the friendlies, both ties will see me play half-rotated sides to keep the squad going as long as possible. Let's go and take it home again!

Group Stage

England v Syria, World Cup Group C, 13.06.30

Syr.JPG.962423792d9df3ed322b6fd59688acd8.JPG

A half-rotated team took on the first game and showed me that I had nothing to worry about! We took an early lead when Barnes smashed home and corner and doubled that up when Brown went on a superb run and finish. It took from the third to near the seventy-third minute to get our final goal when Barnes tucked home another corner.

Algeria v England, World Cup Group C, 21.06.30

Alg.JPG.b7d2243ea5954413555b160d5b3c4def.JPG

I found out thanks to our one win and Syria's two defeats, we'd qualified out the group before even playing the second game! This meant an entirely reserve side went out to play this game. Once again though, we won comfortably. The highlight has to be an absolute thunderbolt from Jude Bellingham just before half time!

Fix.JPG.723add9ad324d539e2375ae3a684e49c.JPG

Here is our draw for the second round. We take on Austria and, assuming we win that game, we will take on one of Cameroon or Morocco. There are some real plum draws in this round though including Spain v Argentina and Germany v Brazil so some big teams will be going home!

World Cup Second Round

Table.JPG.d3045e68677d37aec9f2fc1f6d7ee006.JPG

Austria v England, World Cup Second Round, 25.06.30

Aust.JPG.39f0446f8f7a6d6ea6da1875affd9492.JPG

When I said that one of the big boys was going home in this round, I really wasn't expecting us to be one of them! I thought that I had kept my powder dry by keeping the first team rested but I think it left them lacking sharpness when the moment came. We were given a warning when Austria had a goal rule out for offside but didn't take as, ten minutes later, Godfrey made a mistake and let Albrecht score. We threw the kitchen sink at Austria - Rashford hit the post twice - but we couldn't make it count and go crashing out the tournament.

11 hours ago, ucdark said:

Oh no... Who won the 2030 WC?

Can you put a resumee of your career?

Thanks for the reply @ucdark! The tournament hasn't finished yet but I'll let you know who the winners are! Below is my career so far. It's been busy and, for the eagle-eyed among you, you will notice that it's about to enter its next stage...

Res.JPG.656c5716d1337ca99416dcf476a3b6f4.JPG

With my credentials as England manager being shot to pieces in the defeat by Austria, I decided to move on. Two years felt like too long to wait for another serious trophy push with England so decided to go back to sunny Portugal for a while!

Porto.JPG.4fbe3d6016640fa582c58e690c294c07.JPG

A job in Jose's old stomping ground of Porto awaits. I'd noticed that the job had come up before the World Cup and I thought, if it's still there when England go out, perhaps it's meant to be. It seems it was! A club where the previous manager was sacked for coming second and my first taste of Champ's League football sounds good to me!

Pre-season

InOut.thumb.JPG.09d283617ac647dd762e0b1ee2adc103.JPGOut2.JPG.9a61faa9e43ad50475553caf7aa2cbca.JPG

The door out has certainly been busy and the door in has been quite pricey! I was surprised to see just how large the Porto squad was so I took to getting rid of anyone that I didn't see playing a role in the team - the most notable of those being Dele Alli. It's a shame as I like the idea of him becoming a vital cog in the side but at 34, his best days were well behind him so we took the money and ran.

The one who left that I didn't want to was GK Forsters. I have had quite a few players being chased by Europe's big clubs and he's the one that got away so far. I'm hoping that I can hold onto the rest!

As far as the in's go - Rodrygo was expensive but I'm hoping that the former Madrid man really becomes a star in Portugal. I'm here to win and get titles and I felt like signing a peak 29yo may well help me do that. The other two are keepers to boost that area of the pitch with Gama being brought in to replace the departing Forsters.

Man.thumb.JPG.b84da6ad260161347ad142ca526fb802.JPG

The names here are pretty familar now and they don't look like moving soon. I've taken quite a pay cut to take the Porto role but I hope it pays off in trophies and, in time, will help me land one of the superstar roles in European football! I'm now on £34.5k for comparison.

Fix.JPG.57a040f58fe015b210af3798f73791b2.JPG

As ever, pre-season was pretty unremarkable. All the games were played using my 4-2-3-1 control possession and it seemed to work out well. The one tweak that I've had to make was to make Rodrygo an inverted winger. I do worry that we won't have enough width going forward but let's seee how it pans out!

Odds.JPG.67e39e02e757f9f4430de3af68cec17c.JPG

I said I'd come here to win trophies and the odds chart shows that this is my best chance of doing just that! There's the usual gang of three at the top of the table and we are, by far and away, the team with the best chance of winning the league. However, Porto have come second in the last two seasons so it's not a formality by any stretch.

Res.JPG.789a8ba532ece2e1ed3965ac54049940.JPG

Our season begins with the supertaca - the Portuguese charity shield. It doesn't rank as particularly important but it's a chance to get silverware and to see how we do against our closest competitor in Benfica. After that, we face Famalicao who expect to be getting a conference league spot, newly promoted Farnese and lower mid-table Pacos. It would be good to start with a run of wins - can we do it?

Edited by RaySunshine

Starting XI

XI.JPG.9550fde8f5dd301bca1934e4d6269dd9.JPG

This is the XI chosen to play my first game - the Supertaca against Benfica. It's certainly not full-strength: two of my defenders are out and a couple of other players are leggy due to having injuries in pre-season. It's not the ideal way to start a season but beggars can't be choosers!

Gama: The GK has just been brought in at comparitively expensive £40m but, at short notice, I didn't have a cheaper candidate lined up. I'm not sure how good he's going to be but I hope that he's going to be good enough. I hope his resolute personality is a good influence too.

Gusto: Having played most of his career for Lyon and Real Madrid, Gusto is in his second season with us in Portugal.

Guilherme: Brought in from January from Lyon but yet to play a league game for the club, I'm sure he feels that he has plenty to prove under a new manager.

Zainaghi: Brought in at the end of the January transfer window, the 22yo Brazilian is also yet to play for club having spent all his career before at Gremio

Almeida: Porto through-and-through with a sprinkling of trophies to show for it. The newgen came through in 2021 and is my back-up LB.

Locatelli: The 32yo Italian was brought in for a fairly hefty £51m in 2026. I'm hoping that he will marshall a midfield that leads us to glory.

Ferreira: Another Porto through-and-through. It's an older but experienced cm pairing and I look forward to making that experience pay.

Colombo: Brought in in January, the Italian got three goals and four assists - let's hope there's more this season too!

Djalo: The wanted man! The club superstar who I am having the fight of my life to keep! Barca, Liverpool, Munich - hands off!

Rodrygo: Brought in for a national record fee, I hope this Brazilian superstar finds his way again after a five-season spell at Wolfsburg. 15 goals last season suggests he's got it.

Fernandez: Another January signing who scored 13 goals in 16 games. I'm pretty excited by what the 21yo Argentinian has to offer!

August 2030

Res.JPG.3f679a678033fe3fee0662926f0bc798.JPG

And so it begins! Game one was the Supertaca against Benfica (Colombo 28, Fernandez 44). Things didn't get off to  a good start when they took an early lead. However, we dominated the game from there I thought we would win until they scored in the 92nd minute. That took the game to extra time and, in the end, penalties did for us. Not a great start! Our first league outing saw us take on Famaliciao (Colombo 14, Fernadez 67) and get our first win. Headline signing Rodrygo sent in the cross for Colombo to finish and then a long ball up to Fernandez saw him beat his man in the centre circle, make the run up to the edge of the box and then smash home a powerful strike. We looked to build on this in our game against Farense (Torres 12, Rodrygo 29,48) and we duly did so with Rodrygo scoring twice. The pick of the goals had to be Torres superb volley though. Finally, we played Pacos (Rafael og 5, Djalo 7, Fernandez 22, Rodrygo 32, Guilherme 47, Torres 50, Mazinho 83). Seven goals and seven different goal scorers (including the og) seems like a pretty rare feat!

CLTable.JPG.837b260d0b6d5611ba69ec8dbd23b01f.JPG

Just before our final game, our champs league group was drawn. What a challenge it is! Molde are really up against it but I think we face a serious challenge in getting ourselves ahead of Muinch or United. Perhaps a couple of good results might see us squeak through but I think we're really up against it here!

Table.JPG.bec99d11e2b838c35e721735eb9f6f84.JPG

Both we and title-holders Benfica have had a perfect start to the season. I think it could be tight and exciting. I'm hoping that, if we can carry on this sort of form, we might earn ourselves some leeway but I don't see Benfica giving that away for free that's for sure.

Fix.JPG.1e5a5c8a56622a7d7e9b279a13df8169.JPG

September sees a real mix of games being played. The two clear headline games are Man Utd in the Champ's League and Benfica away in the league. Both gmaes are also away so it will give us a pretty good sense of where we're at pretty quickly. Let's hope we're up to it!

September 2030

TransIn.JPG.a0b4015d27975b26b81fa8ca2f8795a8.JPG

Just in final hours of the transfer window, I saw time to bring in Nelson Pavez. He was brought in by Atletico in 2025 and has been on loan here, there and everywhere ever since. He's primarily a defensive midfielder but I see him providing some good cover in CD too. Generally, he's going to be a useful part of the team!

Res.JPG.1ba1e96dd2371e4959564d96b168b11c.JPG

September proved to be a trickier month than August had but that was no surprise given the fixtures that we had. The month started well enough when we took on Santa Clara (Ferreira 11, Djalo 26, Colombo 32, Rodrygo 83) and beat them pretty comfortably. The first goal was a real fluke as Ferreira sent a cross in and it beat everyone to land in the top corner. We then took on Man U (Djalo 35, Rodrygo 89). We were sent into dreamland when we took the lead in the first half but, when they turned it round in the 88th minute, I thought that was that. I was wrong though as Rodrygo peeled away from his man to give us a point to take home. Against Moreirense (Djalo 6, Fernandez 89), Djalo got us up and running but it took until near the death for Torres to play a cute through ball that Fernandez finished. We had a real topsy-turvy game facing Nacional (Carrasco 5, 19, Colombo 21). Being 3-1 up inside half an hour, I thought we were comfortable. They however were leathal at set pieces and used them to steal a 4-3 win. A title clash finished the month with us losing to Benfica. We had the best of the opening but they went a goal up. A penalty was saved to keep us in the game but we couldn't make our chances pay and they finished the game at the death.

CLTable.JPG.ad280aff08f435bd9387d94e4571462a.JPG

Table.JPG.fd44f5ff9daef8ccad926e9a22c81ee3.JPG

So all of that to-ing and fro-ing leaves us second in the table - a solitary point behind Benfica. It's annoying but I'm not too worried yet as our general form has been good and the league is always a marathon not a sprint. In the Champ's League, our point at Old Trafford leaves us second in the group but I know that we have a long, long way to go in that competition too.

Fix.JPG.f1f2f01393f240cc203e1375c4b258fd.JPG

October is a peculiar month with us not playing a league game until the final week when we have two! Before that, we have the small matter of Munich in the Champ's League before a couple of winnable cup games against lower-league opps. I'm here to win something so I'm not looking to waste these chances.

• 2 weeks later...

October 2030

Res.JPG.a5e02bf6721c323899efbf4c2c22cd1b.JPG

October has been a busy month but, on the whole, the results have not been too bad! We began the month by playing Bayern Munich (Colombo 55). We had a really good go at the German giants with Colombo scoring a really neat finish from the edge of the box but it wasn't enough and they escaped with all three points. In the Allianz Cup, a heavily-rotated side played Cova (Caduff 18, Carrasco 27, Garcia 86). Despite winger Mazinho being sent off in the seventh minute, we posted a routine win against the lower-league side. Another lower-league side, Dezembro (Torres 11, Real 36, Carrasco 58) were our opponents. We rotated the side again and the youngster Torres got the pick of the goals with a superb finish into the top corner. We next played Molde (Fernandez 27). We dominated the game but the goals didn't flow. Fernandez's lovely curling effort from just inside the D was enough to give us all three points. After all of that, we returned to league action! Rio Ave (Colombo 22, Perez 44). Despite dominating the xG and leading twice, we couldn't see the game out. It's a really frustrating result to receive at this stage as I want to get chasing Benfica down. Finally, we played Leixoes (Colombo 19, 77, Djalo 22, Rodrygo 33, Fernandez 83). The pick of the goals had to be the last from Colombo - it was  hugely deep cross and a hugely deep header that he managed to bullet home!

TableCL.JPG.53232d32db691981576ae1d7084baf1a.JPG

Table.JPG.2415ff93619551c331bb866c61d9a4fc.JPG

So here are the tables as we stand. Surprisingly, at the half-way stage, we are in the top two of our Champ's League group. I think we'll do very well to keep that but I do think that we should have enough to at least finish third which would give us a good go at winning the Europa League. In the league, we are level on points with Benfica but with them and Portimonense having games in hand, we could easily be third pretty soon - not good news!

Fix.JPG.048a855923b50e8c7609372a2ed7e22c.JPG

So there are only two league games in the month coming up - two mid-table sides oppose us so I'll really want six points there. Points against Molde and Man U would really help us in our Champ's League progress but I know that the latter will be hard-fought for sure. Finally, having beat Cova comfortably last month, I look forward to beating them again to progress in the cup.

November 2030

Res.JPG.779b84b16d343da41cf3a9b5dcb30b0c.JPG

As a month, November was almost perfect but that one red result at the bottom might have a serious effect on what's coming up in the second half of the season. Game one saw us take on Feirense (Fernandez 57). I was pleased with going up via a pen but Moroz went in for a horror challenge in the next second and made sure that we spent the rest of the game biting our nails with ten men! Molde (Rodrygo 15, Perez 45+2) in the Champ's League came up next. Rodrygo went on a mazy run and finish to give us the lead and a corner doubled it. They then stole a goal back but we escaped with the points. By the time we took on Nacional (Carrasco 57), we were pretty injury ravaged - missing four first-team choices. Nacional dominated the game and I thought we'd fall back in the title race but a long-range strike off the post gave us the win. Some rotation followed in the cup game against Cova (Carrasco 4, Colombo 63, Caduff 83) but we won regardless and carried on in the cup. Finally we took on Man U (Perez 67). I thought we were doing alright when we came level in the second half but they had other ideas - superstar Richter went through one-on-one to give them the win.

TableCL.JPG.fe91e89d3ce5009f718e8f5d8b4ce56b.JPG

Table.JPG.cb9e2567934e006726343938a203a802.JPG

As you can see, that defeat to Man U is going to have some pretty serious ramifications - we now need to beat Bayern and expect Man U to lose to Molde to get above them. It's a combination of events that I just don't see happening so I think we'll be gearing up for a Europa League run after Christmas. On the other hand, it's a competition that we might win so it's not the end of the world. In the league, Benfica have had a couple of negative results so I think we really have a chance to push on and get a decent table-topping position.

Fix.JPG.7353bc13db5c89153dc88971ad090870.JPG

The calendar remains packed - with six games to get in before the winter break. We have a couple of pretty serious games against Boavista and Portimonense alongside trying the impossible in Munich. A couple of cup games then round out the month but they remain important as I chase down my first piece of club silverware hopefully!

December 2030

Res.JPG.97ebd7cea28220423fcef1f0300c66c4.JPG

Plenty of action took place in December and lots of it revolved around the cups. It's certainly a cup-heavy life here in Portugal with the whole group for the Allianz Cup setup. Game one, though, was league action and it saw us take on Portimonense. It wasn't great - it really wasn't! The game was pretty even throughout but they stole the goal and thus the points. We turned things around against Estoril (Fernandez 47, Rodrygo 54, Carrasco 90+3). We were made to sweat with no first-half goals but we sorted it all out in the second half with the pick of the bunch being a great finish across the keeper by Rodrygo. In the Champ's League, we took on Bayern (Fernandez 14). Panariello, in a rare start, sent over a beauty of a cross which Feranadez stroked home at the far post. It was a great win but not enough to carry us on the competition. We took out our frustrations on Boavista (Colombo 12, Fernandez 15, Zainaghi 35). Colombo scored from a beautiful Rodrygo cross, Fernandez was put through by Djallo rounded the keeper and scored before Zainaghi put a corner home. We followed it up with a close game against Vitoria (Fernandez 84) where a penalty was enough to get us over the line before the same trick got the goals flowing against Moreirense (Fernandez 54, Mazinho 86, 90+3). We got out our group on goal difference and move on to the semi-finals!

TableCL.JPG.0cca4f8cc31f6d7a0531ab718a9c5bda.JPG

Table.JPG.39e8aa8d2746c05a524fd5592667616d.JPG

We fought valiently in the Champ's League but even our brave win in Munich wasn't enough to see us over the line. On the other hand, I have unfinished business in the Europa League so it would be good to have another tilt at winning that. Other than that, we progress on all four trophy fronts. Surely I have a chance of winning one of them?!

YP.JPG.2b7fec290d3f01af37ec3e3bd0e39ded.JPG

The youth intake looks interesting with plenty of full-backs and wingers coming through. With the rest of the world hovering around my team like hawks, I'm sure that some players will be picked off by the big boys so I'll need something to replace them with and give me hope!

Fix.JPG.33bfd109af1b219b1124e7234ea8ca07.JPG

If I thought December was busy, January is absolutely action-packed! Eight games including two cup outings keep us on our toes for the next month and could see us into our first final! A massive league game against Sporting will be key as will the visit of my former employers Braga. It will be interesting to see what names I can pick out from their team! Here we go!

January 2031

Res.JPG.cb61e4d1af9dc974cf65f99e81dc060e.JPG

So a marathon month is done and - as you can see - there are plenty of good results in there for us to get stuck into! Game one saw us face Sporting (Zainaghi 6, Rodrygo 64). Goal one was a corner tucked in at the far post and then Rodrygo made the most of rebound to make it 2-0. Former club Braga (Guilherme 23, Fernandez 69, 80) were our next opponents. Guilherme opened the scoring with a smash in at the near post and then we got a scare when they equalised. Two Fernandez goals in the second half saw us through to the win though. Vitoria (Rodrygo 28,52,65, Torres 78) saw Rodrygo get his first hat-trick for the club. Promising youngster Wilmar Torres completed the scoring. We went into the cup QF next and played Moreinense (Colombo 14, 60, Mazinho 89). Colombo scored two identical chips over the keeper after eye-of-the-needle passes and then Mazinho took his chance well. Back to the league and Farense (Fernandez 16, 60, Colombo 45+2, Zainaghi 48) were our third league game. The pick of the goals had to theirs - they chipped the ball into the box for a free kick, Gama rushed out for it and missed it totally letting them score. Things took a turn for the worse when we played Sporting in the Allianz Cup semi-final. We simply didn't turn up; we were dreadful and having beaten them comfortably at the beginning of the month it was a real shock. We then compounded this by drawing with Pacos (Rodrygo 11) when we really should have won. Thankfully, we did beat Famalicao (Djalo 19, Colombo 43, Fernandez 79) and finished the month with a postive.

Table.JPG.b91cedf77593aab788032bab74a40702.JPG

We finish a busy month and the table top is still ours if we win our game in hand. We're starting to move away from Braga and Sporting too but it is worth noticing that they have two games in hand on us. Overall, everything is still close and tight. I was really hoping that, at some point, we'd open up some breathing space but it hasn't happened yet!

Fix.JPG.a50d248545bd37dceb91c2847fd58c96.JPG

We go from one epic month straight into another! Who knew you could get eight games into February?! The stand-out league game is that against Benfica towards the end of the month. We really, really need to beat them. Then it's cup semi-finals against Braga and Europa League against Aberdeen. The chase for silverware goes on although I do wonder how many players I will still have operating at the end of this season. It looks like we'll finish on our knees!