The Art of Shutting Up Shop

The Art of Shutting Up Shop

"To shut up shop is a phrase used to describe a situation when a team wants to protect its position in a game. This might be when a team is leading or even drawing against a stronger side with not long left to play in a game and so they defend in numbers, most of their players are focused on defending. It can also refer to a tactic from the start of game, to not allow the other team to score. To shut up shop."

Introduction

We've all been there. You're comfortably in the lead, creating chance after chance and opposition is kept quiet. Game is nearing the end and you're on your way to a victory; when all of a sudden it all goes wrong! Opposition starts snatching goals out of nowhere and robs you of important three points.

"I've been FM'd, the game hates me!" you scream, as you chuck the nearest PC peripheral you can grab across the room. "This always happens, I knew it would!" you continue, as you're already tagging Miles on Twitter. :mad:

Alright, enough with theatrics. In this thread we'll explore the art of shutting up shop. I'll start with detailing how I approach protecting results in FM and hopefully we can get a discussion going.

As I like to preface in all of my threads, this isn't meant to be a definitive guide. Everything I write about comes from my personal experience and things I've learned along the way. If you have a question, or a better way of doing things, please feel free to comment!

Index

To make it easier to read, this thread will be split into multiple posts. All of them will be linked in the index below.

1. Getting "FM'd"
  2. Shutting Up Shop
  3. Method A - Keep Possession
  4. Method B - Clear the Lines
  5. Set Pieces
  6. Summary
Edited by Zemahh
Index links added

Getting "FM'd"

Firstly, let's try to understand why goals at the end of games can occur; and sometimes with worrying regularity. Bottom-of-the-table opposition will be kept quiet right until the end, when all of a sudden they somehow steal the game.

AI in FM is dynamic, and in fact, very much so. If you keep an eye on the opposition Formation widget in between the highlights, you can notice it making numerous slight tweaks throughout the whole match. Constant changes in Roles, Duties and sometimes even Formation should be easy to spot.

Even though we all have the same tools, humans rarely approach matches in that manner. Most of us have a tactic or two we play on autopilot regardless of the situation, which can be both, good and bad.

giphy.gif

AI changing its Formation mid-game

For a moment, let's imagine we're lined up in an Attacking 4-2-4. We're playing against a team sitting at the bottom of the league and they're defending for their lives. Naturally, throwing everything but a kitchen sink at their parked bus, we're struggling to get a comfortable lead, but we manage to score one. 75 minutes go by, we're still pushing everyone but two centre-backs forward and we fail to adapt after opposition changes its tactic.

Being only 1-0 down, AI still feels it can get something from the game (if trailing by a few goals margin, it will sometimes just try to avoid a catastrophe instead of going for it) and, with 15 minutes to go, it changes its tactic. Parked bus is changed into an Attacking 3-4-3 and suddenly we start getting outclassed. Their high-risk Mentality ensures long balls from deep feeding their three strikers, which means our top-heavy Formation gets completely outnumbered at the back; direct passes bypass our press, players are caught high up the pitch and two centre-backs are left to deal with three strikers on their own. After they inevitably snatch one, our Morale drops and now there's a real chance of us throwing the game away completely right at the end.

Edited by Zemahh
Grammar

Shutting Up Shop

So, how can we go about avoiding scenarios like that? Over the years, I've watched a lot of FM content and the amount of players believing adopting a more cautious approach when ahead will somehow automatically make them concede goals is staggering. :lol:

Where most inexperienced users tend to fail and gather bad experiences with shutting up shop, is by creating complete tactical overkills. "Alright, we're 1-0 up 15 minutes into the game, now let's switch our 4-2-4's Attacking Mentality to Defensive, surely that will do!"

Nope, in fact, Mentality on its own should be the least of our concerns. While a lower one might decrease players' general risk-taking threshold, our defensive shape (Formation), player movements (Duties) and specialized instructions (Roles and Instructions) still play a huge part in determining just how effective our game plan will actually be.

Different Ways

There's numerous ways to defend a lead effectively. Lowering our Mentality and adding Instructions such as Hold Shape and Waste Time could be one, as long as we understand the effects of those in context of our whole tactic. Does a Defensive Mentality make sense while combined with a tactic based on quick transitions from back to front? That's ultimately up to you, but keep in mind that while it might lower the risk-taking across the board, certain Roles like to Dribble More, Take More Risks or defend less by their nature and that might not be something you're after when protecting the result is your only goal; just changing the Mentality won't change those.

In this thread, I will give two specific examples of how I personally go about making defensive changes mid-match. I decide between the two depending on how the AI reacts itself; the changes it makes can vary drastically, so I might shut up shop differently when facing a top-heavy 3-4-3, or a bottom-heavy 4-1-4-1, for example.

However, it's also perfectly fine to do nothing at all! If you feel comfortable with how the match is going and are aware of the changes your opposition makes, there's no need to change your system just for the sake of it. Personally, I'm boring, I'll take a 1-0 over 6-3 anytime, but you might enjoy high-octane football right until the final whistle.

It's also worth noting that opposition going attacking doesn't mean you absolutely will concede goals each and every time; as they open themselves up, you might even score a couple more yourself, should you stay aggressive. Just for how long and when you want to take that risk, is up to you!

Edited by Zemahh
Grammar

Method A - Keep Possession

A popular footballing idiom says that "if the opposition haven't got the ball, they can't score". Now, while setting up tiki-taka tactics and achieving both, high possession numbers and sufficient penetration and goal-scoring threat can be quite complex, just hoarding the ball should actually be fairly simple.

HRABoTI.jpg

Suitable for:

• Teams capable of playing out from the back (Composure, First Touch and Passing)
  • Teams with a physical striker capable of holding up possession (Strength, Composure, Off The Ball)
  • (Against) Bottom-heavy formations with 1 striker (can't press high effectively)

Unsuitable for:

• Heavy favourites to lose (likely to be under extended pressure)
  • Teams uncapable of playing out from the back (Player Traits such as Tries Long Range Passes included)
  • Teams without a physical striker capable of holding up possession
  • (Against) Top-heavy formations with 2+ strikers/attacking midfielders (can press high effectively)

Download: SUS_451_Possession.fmf

The goal of this approach is very simple: keep hold of the ball. Players are meant to stays close together and move up and down the pitch as a unit. Two Playmakers acting as ball magnets and plenty of freedom to roam from positions ensure there's always a passing option. Decision-making is meant to be quick, to avoid getting caught in possession. BBM is encouraged to make frequent forward runs and give PF enough support for him not to get dispossessed too easily.

While Mentality could be lowered to Defensive, I tend to prefer Cautious in order to keep some control of the game; if the team becomes too risk-averse, they may opt for aimless zero-risk clearances over keeping possession when under pressure.

Edited by Zemahh
Attachment added

Method B - Clear the Lines

Instead of trying to keep control of the ball, this method aims to eliminate the risk of being caught in possession close to own goal. However, while this kind of extreme safety-first approach can work for short periods of time, I wouldn't advise using it for longer than final 15-30 minutes; the longer the opposition is allowed to have all the possession, the bigger the chance they create a scoring opportunity.

etFg8Nj.jpg

Suitable for:

• Teams uncapable of playing out from the back (poor Composure, First Touch and Passing or Player Traits such as Tries Long Range Passes)
  • Teams with aerially capable defenders (Jumping Reach, Heading, Bravery)
  • (Against) Top-heavy formations with 2+ strikers/attacking midfielders (can press high effectively)

Unsuitable for:

• Extended periods of time (gives opposition all the initiative)
  • Teams without aerially capable defenders

Download: SUS_442_Direct.fmf

Here, players are expected to clear the lines and do so immediately. Higher Tempo minimizes the amount of touches, to avoid the risk of getting closed down and caught in possession. Both strikers are looking to sit on the last defender's shoulder and run off on their own. With NFBs being instructed to clear the ball long, WMs are also encouraged to make frequent forward runs and get on the end of some of those; their Attack Duty in combination with Cautious Mentality results in them being Positive (won't be marauding forward too crazily).

While a higher Mentality would give us more attacking intent (personally, I prefer Positive/Attacking for counter-attacking systems), in this case we're not really trying to score more. There's no need for players to make forward runs too often, potentially dribble themselves into trouble, or look to create scoring chances at every opportunity, we're simply trying to clear the ball as far away from our goal as possible; two strikers are deployed in order to make sure we control at least some of the clearances and alleviate as much pressure as possible.

Edited by Zemahh
Attachment added

Set Pieces

mUaUoCQ.jpg

When shutting up shop, the importance of keeping enough men back at attacking set pieces is not to be underestimated. When chasing a game, the AI absolutely will change its own routines and often start leaving two men forward. If we fail to adapt, those can result in opposition's best chances to counter.

In both of the above tactics, all attacking set pieces are adjusted towards the safety-first approach. Defenders are staying back and everyone but one or two players are making themselves available for short passes, rather than attacking the box. Keeping possession and wasting time is the main goal.

Edited by Zemahh
Grammar

Summary

Personally, I've had good success shutting up shop with both of the above approaches. Currently, I'm managing Dorking Wanderers and despite being predicted to finish 14th at the start of our first National League season, we rarely concede goals. This is mostly down to our main tactic, but I do make sure I shut up shop religiously every time we get a 2-goal lead. High scoring games are rare, but clean sheets are extremely pleasing!

So4VsVR.jpeg

kr1J6a9.jpeg

Goals Concedes/Shots Against National League stats

However, while shutting up shop can minimize the amount of risk we face once opposition start chasing the game, plans don't always pan out perfectly. Whatever we do, it's impossible to absolutely guarantee something won't go wrong and we won't concede a goal, which is why I'm usually not too comfortable defending 1-goal margins too early.

Role Suitability

While Catenaccio type of football might provide more defensive solidity, 5-at-the-back formations can be tricky to switch to mid-game (might not have enough subs or appropriate personnel to make all the needed changes); while I'm usually comfortable placing a natural wide forward one strata deeper into the midfield slot, I wouldn't use anyone but natural defenders in defence (the less familiar a player with position, the higher the likelihood of mistakes or bad decisions). For this reason, I prefer to shut up shop with more flexible formations, but you're of course free to take the ideas above and adapt them for your own system.

This part concludes this thread. Hopefully, you found some food for thought and the read was enjoyable. Please feel free to comment, should something about my approach be unclear or you have different methods of shutting up shop!

Edited by Zemahh
Grammar

• Zemahh changed the title to The Art of Shutting Up Shop
2 hours ago, Absen said:

Does making subs waste time at the end at all? I tend to do it as an imitation of real life but I've no idea if it means anything in FM-world.

Not sure if actual time wasting at substitutions is a thing, but there's definitely time wasting comments for some other events:

GxtgSnj.jpg

Animation of slow walking off the pitch and occasional yellow cards for time wasting would be lovely though. :D

2 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Off topic but are you still using the "possession 442" as main tactic?

My main tactic currently is a wing-play 4-2-3-1. Aims to camp in opposition half and create space in the middle with focusing play down the wings. Both strikers excel aerially, but for the sake of a more effective press (especially against DMs), one is deployed as a SS.

TdCJOqH.jpg

cM5HIC0.jpg

On 02/01/2021 at 15:38, Zemahh said:

Method B - Clear the Lines

Instead of trying to keep control of the ball, this method aims to eliminate the risk of being caught in possession close to own goal. However, while this kind of extreme safety-first approach can work for short periods of time, I wouldn't advise using it for longer than final 15-30 minutes; the longer the opposition is allowed to have all the possession, the bigger the chance they create a scoring opportunity.

etFg8Nj.jpg

Suitable for:

• Teams uncapable of playing out from the back (poor Composure, First Touch and Passing or Player Traits such as Tries Long Range Passes)
  • Teams with aerially capable defenders (Jumping Reach, Heading, Bravery)
  • (Against) Top-heavy formations with 2+ strikers/attacking midfielders (can press high effectively)

Unsuitable for:

• Extended periods of time (gives opposition all the initiative)
  • Teams without aerially capable defenders

Download: SUS_442_Direct.fmf

Here, players are expected to clear the lines and do so immediately. Higher Tempo minimizes the amount of touches, to avoid the risk of getting closed down and caught in possession. Both strikers are looking to sit on the last defender's shoulder and run off on their own. With NFBs being instructed to clear the ball long, WMs are also encouraged to make frequent forward runs and get on the end of some of those; their Attack Duty in combination with Cautious Mentality results in them being Positive (won't be marauding forward too crazily).

While a higher Mentality would give us more attacking intent (personally, I prefer Positive/Attacking for counter-attacking systems), in this case we're not really trying to score more. There's no need for players to make forward runs too often, potentially dribble themselves into trouble, or look to create scoring chances at every opportunity, we're simply trying to clear the ball as far away from our goal as possible; two strikers are deployed in order to make sure we control at least some of the clearances and alleviate as much pressure as possible.

This has helped me loads, thank you! I've always been a "attack is the best form of defence" kind of guy, but I know that isnt always a good idea. Especially when I was 2-1 with 5 minutes to go yesterday and my CB was left on his own against 3 attackers! This is when I realised I needed some options on a cautious approach!