Dealing With Chronic Offsides

I have a striker (currently playing as an AF/A in a 4-2-3-1) who is a chronic offsides offender, to the point where he has had several goals called back. His positioning attribute is 7, so I'm assuming that's the problem, since tactical tweaks haven't solved the problem. But it seems that the only training that improves positioning is Defensive Positioning, and that seems counter-intuitive to the problem. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? Many thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

His positioning attribute is 7

What are his anticipation and concentration attributes? These matter more than positioning.

Plus, if these 2 are (relatively) poor and coupled with the "likes to beat offside trap" player trait - no wonder he gets caught so often. And even more so if you play him on attack duty. 

2 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

But it seems that the only training that improves positioning is Defensive Positioning, and that seems counter-intuitive to the problem. Any suggestions as to how to deal with this? Many thanks in advance

As I said, positioning is not an issue here. Anticipation can be somewhat improved - depending on his age though - by individual focus on attacking movement.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

What are his anticipation and concentration attributes? These matter more than positioning.

Plus, if these 2 are (relatively) poor and coupled with the "likes to beat offside trap" player trait - no wonder he gets caught so often. And even more so if you play him on attack duty. 

Anticipation is 16 and concentration is 14. His decisions rating is 12, if that matters. He has no specified player traits. And he's 25. 

4 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

Anticipation is 16 and concentration is 14. His decisions rating is 12, if that matters. He has no specified player traits. And he's 25. 

'Off the ball' is the additional attribute that can impact this, whereas 'Positioning' is the defensive equivalent of it. IIRC (don't have the game up) 'Final 3rd' and 'Attacking Movement' are the two extra trainings that can improve things in that area.

26 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

'Off the ball' is the additional attribute that can impact this, whereas 'Positioning' is the defensive equivalent of it. IIRC (don't have the game up) 'Final 3rd' and 'Attacking Movement' are the two extra trainings that can improve things in that area.

Yes, I just put him on Attacking Movement. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

Yes, I just put him on Attacking Movement. Thanks.

This is what I would do. Also, do you have pass into space on? That might be encouraging him to make more aggressive runs which would lead to this. 

1 hour ago, gunnerfan said:

Anticipation is 16 and concentration is 14. His decisions rating is 12, if that matters. He has no specified player traits. And he's 25

If so, then it should not be happening (too) often (as long as the player himself is concerned, as opposed to the tactic as a whole).

Decisions matter, but I think 12 should be good enough, especially considering that anticipation and concentration are good.

In my opinion that is how AF play. However the problem might not be totally his; he can make the runs but if the ball is delayed, he'll definitely be offside when it arrives. 

If its too much of a problem you can play him as a Pressing Forward

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

In my opinion that is how AF play. However the problem might not be totally his; he can make the runs but if the ball is delayed, he'll definitely be offside when it arrives. 

If its too much of a problem you can play him as a Pressing Forward

Interesting idea. I’ll give it a try.