FM21 - Athletic Club: Los Leones Roaring Back

dothestrand

On 07/06/2021 at 17:05, Werrett said:

2020/21 End of Season Update

Got stuck straight into my save on Friday evening and can confirm that I have just finished my first season with Athletic Bilbao (my coworker is on leave for the week! :cool:).

Competitions Overview

- La Liga: 5th placed finish (table)

- Copa del Rey: Knocked out in the 3rd round by Mirandés 3-1 (Oops...)

- Supercopa: Winners, beating Barcelona 4-1!

Disappointed to finish the season in 5th having missed out to Valencia and Atléti on the final day of the season. An inferior head-to-head record against Atléti also means we missed out to them as well, which is devastating when we consider that we lost 2-1 to them at home in the final minutes of the game. All in all we W23, D8 and L7...Far too many narrow losses against teams around us ended up costing us, but we've secured European Football next season so we're delighted about that!

As for the cup game, I simply chose to rotate too many players and this ended up costing us. Foolish on my end, but we'll take that on the chin and learn from it for next season.

Delighted to get my first bit of silverware, albeit the Supercopa. An early Pedri goal gave Barcelona the lead within the first minute, but goals from Berenguer, Garcia and Yeray saw us run out 4-1 winners on the day. Woohoo!

Squad/Tactics

In regards to system, we opted for a standard 4231 which moved between a Balanced and Positive mentality throughout the year. I was really happy with the attacking football we produced as we ended up being the 2nd top scorers in the division behind league winners Madrid, although our shaky 5th rated defence may have cost us too many points; but that's the risk and reward to attacking football. I was aware coming into this that our defenders had poor heading, but my word we conceded so many goals to headers!

I tried playing about with set-pieces, individual instructions etc but I'm yet to get anything crazy out of the side doing that; we've mostly been okay on default role instructions. As for the conceding of headers, I think I'll just have to chalk this up to the players I have at my disposal, as I don't think I can fix this tactically asides from the high line that reduces some crosses and deep balls to the CB's.

I won't go too in-depth with the squad, as everyone in this thread already knows the general outlook of the team and the positions they play. The incoming transfers were Robert Navarro (£5.25m release clause) and a youngster from Osasuna who I poached for £225k just after their youth intake; but he's nothing to write home about just yet.

Oscar De Marcos (£2.5m) and Mikel Balenziaga (£750k) left the club, and over the coming Summer I'll look to potentially offload Ibai Gomez, Mikel Vesga (keeps moaning..) and Iago Herrerin (desire to leave). Asides from that I'm not too sure, I disabled transfers in the first Summer so this is my first taste of a full Summer with the Bilbao restrictions! 

Our youth intake was good, but nothing exceptional. There's a few attacking players in there, so I'll be trying my best to develop those going forwards. My B-side got promoted and our U19s had a great season; so it's definitely going to be a good time to sit and analyse those players and see if any deserve a bump up to the first-team!

...I think I'll wrap this up here, and I'll likely report back upon the completion of my second season, unless anything extraordinary happens in the meantime!

Vamos Athletic! :onmehead:

P.S. How do you guys approach loaning your younger players out? Do you delegate this? Do you loan them out without any wages/fees? Do you offer a certain amount? Answers on a postcard! Really struggled to loan players out this season.

9ab94d6fd4b5a037b285596781561fc4.png

P.P.S Gonna throw this image in as I thought it summed things up for us; we were pretty unlucky. :( 

Almost same answer from me. From season 2 I always get my b team in second division, so no need to loan Them out, unless it’s a la liga side or a good team from a great league that plays in CL. I love keeping my talents in my Club and control everything 👍

Edited by ernemann

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2021/22 End of Season Update

I may have been playing a bit too much FM over the past few days... :cool:

Competitions Overview

- La Liga: 4th placed finish (table)

- Copa del Rey: Knocked out in the 3rd round again, but this time by Betis.

- Europa League: Knocked out in the 2nd knockout round by Gladbach (3-3 with away goals benefiting them)

Honestly I'm super happy with this. By Christmas we'd lost 6 league games and were really getting lucky with teams around us dropping points as well. A 2nd half of the season saw us go 17 games on the run without a defeat (finishing the season with a draw) and this meant we strengthened our hold on a UCL spot; narrowly avoiding a 2nd placed finish in the end. We finished the season with three points less than last season, but less defeats and a higher table position. Lovely!

As for the cup game, I did not learn from last season...

Europa League; we drew 2-2 at home despite dominating...Sloppy.

Squad/Tactics

I've been sticking with the 4231 that I used last season, with a couple of instructional tweaks. Inaki Williams was fantastic and managed 27 league goals from mostly the right-wing, although he headed our scoring charts by some way! Garcia was poor, keeping him for the extra year was effectively a waste of money, Villalibre was also poor with only 11 goals in all competitions. Next season Inaki will start as our ST, as we are really short on other options.

In regards to set-pieces, putting all 11 into the box to defend corners was the only way I stopped us conceding from so many...It's ridiculous, but it's a fix for now. We conceded far too many goals from individual lapses in concentration, but that's not anything I can change through tactics. Maybe a switch to a 433 will come next season, but I'm not sure just yet.

Transfer wise, we only made two signings throughout the season. Aimar Oroz joined for £1.5m but was restricted to the B-side, while a youngster named Ruben from Logrones B joined for £300k. Signing more newgens will be something I look at soon, as our intake this season was really poor, honestly. Here's how the U19 squad looks currently, plus any players hidden as they are out on loan.

Kenan Kodro left for £1.5m, Dani Garcia moved in January for £4m and Alex Berenguer is joining Lyon in the Summer for around £13.5m. Not too fussed about these sales, as none of them were getting any game time.

The B-side finished 3rd, narrowly missing out on promotion to the second tier and my U19s won their league again. I'll really be hoping my B-team can go up next year as it'll be crucial for saving on loaning players out.

Next season will see a few positional switches, maybe a bit more game time for Imanol (got 12 assists this season! :applause:), Serrano, Oroz etc. Maybe a system switch as well, but we'll see how the Summer goes! Hoping to get Herrera or to upgrade our RB, but a £30m budget probably won't stretch far enough for both.

...Expect to hear back in a few days! :lol:

P.S. Thank you to all who respond to any questions, your insight is super appreciated!

So first season finished and we finished in second place - a very good season. We lost the final to Real Madrid in the Spanish supercup, while we won the cup 3-1 against Barcelona. 

Our first season have Bern busy where we have Said goodbye to quite a few players. Lekue left for Brigthon for 2,3 mio €, Ibai Gomez left to Granada for 1,4 mio €, Balenziaga went to Olympiakos for 400,000, Ezkieta went to Al-Ain for 4 mio, unai Lopez to hertha for 12 mio, de Marcos to Valencia for 1,8 mio, Cordoba to Hoffenheim for 4,9 mio €. After the season we also Said goodbye to Villalibre who went to leverkusen for 5,5 mio € and Kodro to Olympiakos for 725,000 😀

We Will not buy any players unless Mikel Oyarzabal Will be possible to buy. We have moved keeper Padilla to the first team as backup to Unai Simon,  Jesus Areso Will be the backup to Ander Capa, Imanol have also been moved up as another backup to Yuri, Nico Williams is also in the first team along with Youngster Unai Gomez. 

As we dont really have a real striker we decided to give Raul Garcia a new contract so I hope someone Will come in the next year. It Will be a funny season 2 and both our reserveteams have been promoted, so our talents Will be pushed hard this season 💪😏

A1B01C42-7EA2-479F-998C-6F4BF35EC0AD.jpeg

Edited by ernemann

• 2 weeks later...

2021/22 End of Season Update

Competitions Overview

- La Liga: 2nd placed finish - 82 points (+8) (table)

- Copa del Rey: Runners-Up, 1-0 defeat to Barcelona.

- Champions League: Round of 16 (4-4a defeat to Ajax)

Really good season, surpassed all expectations in all competitions. Plenty to build on for next season. Up until GW22 we were undefeated, but ultimately we went through a bit of a rough patch and dropped far too many points from winning positions. 13 draws compared to Real Madrid's 4 says it all.

Squad/Tactics/Transfers

Switched it up this season and switched to a 433 to try and provide more defensive cover to allow the full-backs to get further forward. I won't post it just yet as I'm still tweaking it constantly. The prior 4231 was used from time to time as well.

Transfer wise, we only made the one signing during the season with Ander Herrera joining from PSG for £17.5m; maybe a fee that was a tad too high, but he adds a wealth of experience to the squad.

Oier Zarraga move to Malaga for £1.5m but that was all in terms of transfers away, aside from a couple of loans here and there.

The B-side won the 3rd tier which means they'll be in the 2nd division next year; delighted about this as it means my younger players can play regular football at a good level.

The focus on youth continues for next season. Inaki Williams had a far less prolific season but Asier Villalibre took home the golden boot for La Liga with 21 goals, really impressive from a man I consider to be my back-up! Got a young striker who I hope to play more this season. He has a few attributes that fall short, but he had a really good loan away at Malaga and I'm hoping he can go on to have a good season with us this season.

a05573191ce0f6b5e878d663828e0c62.png

Still really enjoying this save, and I'm really excited to see how my young players get on; the youth intakes have been great, but I may look to poach Spanish talent from elsewhere to really bolster our potential.

Squad depth for 2023/24 prior to transfers:

- GK (SK): Simon, Ezkieta, Padilla

- CB (CD): Martinez, Yeray, Nunez, Paredes

- LB (WB):Yuri, Imanol

- RB (WB): Capa, Aguirregabiria

- DM (DLP): Vencedor, Nolaskoain, Prados

- CM (BBM): Sanchet, Herrera

- CM (MEZ): Muniain, Oroz

- LW (IF): Morcillo, Serrano

- RW (W): Williams, Navarro, Williams

- ST (AF): Villalibre, Garrido

I'd like to look into getting a new RB, maybe Gorosabel if possible as Odriozola will cost us far too much. If a La Liga side wants to loan Prados, Paredes or Williams I'd strongly consider it, but other than that I'm really happy with out depth in each position going into the new season. At this point it's now moving to the future and trying to develop our talent as best we can.

Edited by Werrett

Hello, long time listener, first time caller for FM21. 

I move into my 9th season and currently have this absolute gem. However, I noticed he's still on a Yth contract. I've tried to offer him a new deal but cannot as he is apparently not Basque.

What's frustrating is he a product of my academy so has Spanish nationality, just not Basque. He's now became HG as well but still no luck. I'm absolutely gutted as he looks like he will be a monster. Trying to sell now before I lose him for free no doubt.

Anyone had anything similar?

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.40.00.png

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.40.16.png

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.40.20.png

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 18.40.26.png

First time this has happened to me, but if this guy turns out to be a world-beater, I'll be very annoyed! I'll check him out in April. Has anyone had a message saying they've poached a player from another academy (most likely Osasuna, judging by Serrano/Sancet IRL)?

721614635_Screenshot2021-06-29at08_48_32.thumb.png.4df7b76e69d9e000c521161ce2bf543d.png

Well, after 9 seasons I've finally managed to conquer the larger European teams. A four time Europa league winner now a Champions League winner too.

To make it sweeter, we finish the league season unbeaten. However, we lost in the Spanish Cup to Barcelona in 5th Round. Absolutely no chance will we get close to this next season so going to enjoy this whilst it lasts!

Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 23.25.39.png

Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 23.26.44.png

2 hours ago, Swordsman said:

you guys sign strictly basque or with Spanish players that are 16 and below ?

Strictly Basque. But in my second Athletic Club save, I've gone Lezama only - that is, not signing a single player and relying purely on the academy. 

2 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Strictly Basque. But in my second Athletic Club save, I've gone Lezama only - that is, not signing a single player and relying purely on the academy. 

Lezama only.. that is crazy dude, how well do you do ?

10 hours ago, Swordsman said:

Lezama only.. that is crazy dude, how well do you do ?

I started one season in, so that first season was a write-off really. Finished 7th in the second season. Won the league in the third. Then three 2nd places in seasons four to six. Finished 4th in the seventh season. Just starting the eighth season. So, even without signing anyone, we're comfortably in the CL spots. Valencia are the other big side in the top four, they've got loads of money now (they've won two of the last three titles too).

On 29/06/2021 at 09:49, dothestrand said:

First time this has happened to me, but if this guy turns out to be a world-beater, I'll be very annoyed! I'll check him out in April. Has anyone had a message saying they've poached a player from another academy (most likely Osasuna, judging by Serrano/Sancet IRL)?

721614635_Screenshot2021-06-29at08_48_32.thumb.png.4df7b76e69d9e000c521161ce2bf543d.png

Not in Athletic but tried it with smaller teams. It’s so annoying when it’s happening 

On 30/06/2021 at 09:48, Swordsman said:

you guys sign strictly basque or with Spanish players that are 16 and below ?

I dont sign any players and it goes so well. You focus on your own players and giving Them more attention. The funny Thing through is that the board gets pissed when they expect you to sign players under 23 and sign High profiled players :D

7 hours ago, ernemann said:

I dont sign any players and it goes so well. You focus on your own players and giving Them more attention. The funny Thing through is that the board gets pissed when they expect you to sign players under 23 and sign High profiled players :D

the dumb board.. especially with the high profile players..

10 hours ago, ernemann said:

Yeah that constantly happens with me too. I try to remove it in contract negotiations but they won't have any of it. Still, they never get too arsey about it. 

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

Yeah that constantly happens with me too. I try to remove it in contract negotiations but they won't have any of it. Still, they never get too arsey about it. 

I’ve tried so Many times but wont happen. They are actually schocked when you dont buy players :lol:

5 hours ago, Swordsman said:

the dumb board.. especially with the high profile players..

It’s so stupid. When it happends I have the best Young players So there are no High profile players in other clubs 😬😬😂

On 04/07/2021 at 11:58, ernemann said:

It’s so stupid. When it happends I have the best Young players So there are no High profile players in other clubs 😬😬😂

It's not even a realistic real life objective. Who are the high profile Basque players? Oyarzabal? Merino? They wouldn't sign for Athletic Club in real life. You wouldn't call Berenguer high profile, for example. 

27 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

It's not even a realistic real life objective. Who are the high profile Basque players? Oyarzabal? Merino? They wouldn't sign for Athletic Club in real life. You wouldn't call Berenguer high profile, for example. 

It’s true i would say Oyarzabal you Can maybe if come to England first and maybe Laporte before gets to Old, but thats it. And in 2025-27 there are no one out there 😂😂😂

Just finished my third season in Athletic and we won the league again this time quite comfortably with 16 points down to Barca, but its was only our league form we can be happy with this season. Got knocked out by Juve in the Quarterfinals, lost to Sevilla in the Spanish Cup, so wasnt a amazing season. Further we lost Inaki Williams who got a serious injury and were out for 8 months with cruciate ligament, so will be exciting to see if he can come back in his earlier form.

On the positive side younger brother Nico have improved alot this season together with his friend Nico Serrano and this team will only get better - so watch out Barca and Real :D We also bougth San Mamès after this season as I have alot of money just to burn as we dont really buy any players :lol: Last but not least - our board are happy with most things but we have only signed one player and it wasnt my plan, but our rival Real Sociedad had a real big talent and they "forgot" to give him a senior contract so we took him in cause its a shame that a boy like him werent to win any trophies :D

filosofi.png

2223.png

stadium.png

End of the 2027-28 season in my Lezama save and we brought the title back to Bilbao! 

It was a real tussle with Valencia all season. They were my main rivals in the league before they tailed off a little in the last few games, finishing third behind Barcelona. Valencia beat us in the Super Cup on penalties, whilst we beat them in the Spanish Cup. We crashed out of the CL to Juventus after losing a two goal aggregate list. But overall, an excellent season!

In terms of the squad, no signings of course and we let Inaki Williams leave on a free in the January as he was declining massively with no game time.

Most of the youngsters I've talked about over the last few seasons have kicked on very nicely - Alkorta is our rock of a CB, Martin and Cordoba are a formidable CM partnership. But we have loads of guys coming through Lezama that indicate that we'll be challenging for trophies for a long time to come.

Iker Larrazabal is my main striker, scored 16 in 33 this season at the age of 18 and is worth nearly 40m. He's getting antsy about moving for a bigger club but he's signed up for five seasons.

Roberto Simon broke through at the end of the season after some terrific performances for the B side. An 18yo inverted right-sided midfielder, hopefully he's my Arjen Robben. We have wide options though, so he may get a loan move if a top flight side take him. 

Marcos Pena may not break into the first team yet, purely because of the insane CM/DM options we have. He too is 18yo and if he bumps his marking stats , I may retrain him as a CB as his physical stats are good for his age.

Roberto Aizpurua took Williams' place this season. 21yo, he can switch wings nicely with Serrano and has great trickery, even if I wish his crossing was better.

Inaki Albisu is quite similar. A 20yo AMR, he has better all-rounded winger attributes and he's shared the spots with Serrano and Aizpurua.

Gorka Pascual is predominantly a DM but had potential as a RB, which is where I've developed him over the last couple of seasons. At 20yo, he has lots of room to grow and will take over Yeray's role there.

Borja Esnaola did well on loan at Osasuna in La Liga. Just 19yo, I may give him one more season on loan in the top flight before looking to ease him in ahead of Vencedor in that role.

Fernando Garde is in my B side and has endless potential as a 17yo. I'll develop him as an AML, though we have so many options!

There are other guys in the B side and below with not quite as much potential but still have a lot to offer if I need to. If I could be greedy, I'd like some more defenders and maybe a 'keeper. Each new intake seems excellent - my technical director is practically 20s throughout and Roberto Samaden is my HOYD - so that's made this save much easier.

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.06.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.30.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.42.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.55.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.04.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.16.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.41.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.33.08.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.53.28.png

22 hours ago, dothestrand said:

End of the 2027-28 season in my Lezama save and we brought the title back to Bilbao! 

It was a real tussle with Valencia all season. They were my main rivals in the league before they tailed off a little in the last few games, finishing third behind Barcelona. Valencia beat us in the Super Cup on penalties, whilst we beat them in the Spanish Cup. We crashed out of the CL to Juventus after losing a two goal aggregate list. But overall, an excellent season!

In terms of the squad, no signings of course and we let Inaki Williams leave on a free in the January as he was declining massively with no game time.

Most of the youngsters I've talked about over the last few seasons have kicked on very nicely - Alkorta is our rock of a CB, Martin and Cordoba are a formidable CM partnership. But we have loads of guys coming through Lezama that indicate that we'll be challenging for trophies for a long time to come.

Iker Larrazabal is my main striker, scored 16 in 33 this season at the age of 18 and is worth nearly 40m. He's getting antsy about moving for a bigger club but he's signed up for five seasons.

Roberto Simon broke through at the end of the season after some terrific performances for the B side. An 18yo inverted right-sided midfielder, hopefully he's my Arjen Robben. We have wide options though, so he may get a loan move if a top flight side take him. 

Marcos Pena may not break into the first team yet, purely because of the insane CM/DM options we have. He too is 18yo and if he bumps his marking stats , I may retrain him as a CB as his physical stats are good for his age.

Roberto Aizpurua took Williams' place this season. 21yo, he can switch wings nicely with Serrano and has great trickery, even if I wish his crossing was better.

Inaki Albisu is quite similar. A 20yo AMR, he has better all-rounded winger attributes and he's shared the spots with Serrano and Aizpurua.

Gorka Pascual is predominantly a DM but had potential as a RB, which is where I've developed him over the last couple of seasons. At 20yo, he has lots of room to grow and will take over Yeray's role there.

Borja Esnaola did well on loan at Osasuna in La Liga. Just 19yo, I may give him one more season on loan in the top flight before looking to ease him in ahead of Vencedor in that role.

Fernando Garde is in my B side and has endless potential as a 17yo. I'll develop him as an AML, though we have so many options!

There are other guys in the B side and below with not quite as much potential but still have a lot to offer if I need to. If I could be greedy, I'd like some more defenders and maybe a 'keeper. Each new intake seems excellent - my technical director is practically 20s throughout and Roberto Samaden is my HOYD - so that's made this save much easier.

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.06.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.30.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.42.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.31.55.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.04.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.16.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.32.41.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.33.08.png

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 20.53.28.png

Quite good safe you have going there. I Think we all wish the Young we get would be more difference positions ! In my save it’s either wingers or defensive midfielders. 

I Think I Got about 10 potential wingers who all could play and allready have both Nicos and inaki Munain and Morcillo, so some have to go 😀

• 3 weeks later...

When we all play Long saves i was just wondering, are there any great clubs you Can get as feederclub which Will have basque players once a while ? 

I have seen Racing Santander sometimes have basque talents but who Else?? Maybe someone in France 

After a few seasons in a different save I have been drawn back into my Athletic save.  I have always only signed Basque players rather than sixteen year old Spanish players and things have gone well.  I have always downloaded tactics but I am using the restrictions on the transfers that be made as an opportunity to develop and tweak tactics which makes the most of my squad.  I have just finished my first season back and we are in June 2027.  We had a dismal showing in the domestic cups but success in the league and the champions league.

I also have the annoying Board expectations of signing under 23s for the first team and high profile players.  There are no under 23s available as if they are any good I have already purchased them and the only high profile options are Laporte (old), Oyarzábal (no interest) and Nico Williams (Man Utd recently purchased for £179 million after PSG met his release clause of £120 million).  I repeatedly try to negotiate these out but the Board is having none of it.

Money is no issue with £726 million in the coffers but the Board is still unable to purchase San Mames supposedly due to finances.

To keep the interest going I am converting to a Lezama only save.  I am really looking forward to working to develop youth players in a in more involved way than before knowing that the options are limited.  I am too invested in some of the Lezama developed players to start again so I am just starting from my current save and clearing out the non-Athletic youth players.  Alvaro Odriozola has gone to Inter for £36.5 million, Aihen Munoz to Roma for £23 million and various Basque regens brought into Athletic have been sold off in a fire sale.  

I am undecided about bringing back former youth products (Nico Williams etc) or utilising feeder clubs.  What are your views on either of these? 

3 hours ago, MattyC78 said:

After a few seasons in a different save I have been drawn back into my Athletic save.  I have always only signed Basque players rather than sixteen year old Spanish players and things have gone well.  I have always downloaded tactics but I am using the restrictions on the transfers that be made as an opportunity to develop and tweak tactics which makes the most of my squad.  I have just finished my first season back and we are in June 2027.  We had a dismal showing in the domestic cups but success in the league and the champions league.

I also have the annoying Board expectations of signing under 23s for the first team and high profile players.  There are no under 23s available as if they are any good I have already purchased them and the only high profile options are Laporte (old), Oyarzábal (no interest) and Nico Williams (Man Utd recently purchased for £179 million after PSG met his release clause of £120 million).  I repeatedly try to negotiate these out but the Board is having none of it.

Money is no issue with £726 million in the coffers but the Board is still unable to purchase San Mames supposedly due to finances.

To keep the interest going I am converting to a Lezama only save.  I am really looking forward to working to develop youth players in a in more involved way than before knowing that the options are limited.  I am too invested in some of the Lezama developed players to start again so I am just starting from my current save and clearing out the non-Athletic youth players.  Alvaro Odriozola has gone to Inter for £36.5 million, Aihen Munoz to Roma for £23 million and various Basque regens brought into Athletic have been sold off in a fire sale.  

I am undecided about bringing back former youth products (Nico Williams etc) or utilising feeder clubs.  What are your views on either of these? 

Sounds like a Nice safe. Im currently in 2030 and going very very well but in my game i purchased the stadium after the third or fourth season i Think - had no problem with it really. 

But I Think it’s different if it’s good to bring back former players, but if you get amazing talents like I do, then I wouldnt bring Them back. I dont do it so only bring Them back if you strugle and your team is not that good 😏

I think in older saves I bought Herrera back in from Man Utd but that's harder in this game since he has only just signed for PSG. 

Thinking of other big names formerly at Athletic Club, you'd only need Kepa if Simon was picked off, Laporte would probably be a decent short term option by the time Man City transfer list him, and Javi Martinez deteriorates quickly. 

IRL, they don't tend to bring those guys back. Llorente was never an option either. The players who return to Athletic Club tend to be those they let go, who then thrived elsewhere, e.g. Ibai Gomez. 

Has anyone else had a problem where their B team is not playable.  My C team, in a lower league, has games but my B team in Spanish Second Division Pro A has no fixtures.  I didn't start out with a full set of Spanish leagues but then added them in but I have always had this problem.  Is this the same for everyone?

4 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

Has anyone else had a problem where their B team is not playable.  My C team, in a lower league, has games but my B team in Spanish Second Division Pro A has no fixtures.  I didn't start out with a full set of Spanish leagues but then added them in but I have always had this problem.  Is this the same for everyone?

No not at all. My b and c team Got promoted after the first season and have been playable ever since 

It's the only thing bugging me with my save.  I have been having to set up friendlies for the season for the B team and because I cannot get the B team promoted they have been blocking the C team getting promoted.  It is harder to overview all development. 

So a new season finished in Spain and another amazing Championship to us in a season where our rivals from Sociedad got relegated :D to the Second Division. It was by the way the amazing Diego Costa who relegated La Real - and for some reason they didnt sack him :lol:

Besides our championship we also won the Champions League beating Manchester United 2-1 so a very good season, but for some reason one of our best players left for Hertha for a record sale at 179 mio euro - but I dont get it :D Why go there when you can win titles every season. Its a really young squad this but we have Unai Simon at 34 who might have to years left at top level, but lucky we have Padilla as I dont really trust but we have a 20 year old that looks decent so really hope he will be good enough - maybe send this keeper out on loan so he can play alot instead of playing with my b team in La Liga 123!

203031.png

egilior.png

That's another impressive season.  You are a couple of seasons ahead of me. 

It's odd what motivates some players.  I'm guessing by now you have a strong reputation and in a position to offer good wages so a move to Hertha seems a strange career choice.  Have you got someone coming through to replace Egileor?

I have a few positions where I am shy but you can usually do something through a change of tactic or retraining but goalkeepers are awkward.  I have a few more years of Simon left.  Padilla never made it for me and left but I am still waiting for a very good replacement.  Every year I hope for a good goalkeeper only to be disappointed with another midfielder.

2 hours ago, MattyC78 said:That's another impressive season.  You are a couple of seasons ahead of me. 

It's odd what motivates some players.  I'm guessing by now you have a strong reputation and in a position to offer good wages so a move to Hertha seems a strange career choice.  Have you got someone coming through to replace Egileor?

I have a few positions where I am shy but you can usually do something through a change of tactic or retraining but goalkeepers are awkward.  I have a few more years of Simon left.  Padilla never made it for me and left but I am still waiting for a very good replacement.  Every year I hope for a good goalkeeper only to be disappointed with another midfielder.

Yeah no doubt. World class reputation Got alot of money to wages, but the Thing with Egilior was he wanted a contract only 1 year into his new improved contract, so i told him forget it and then he was mad :D The funny Thing is that i dont even Think my team is weaken now, but also Got Many on the Way. In my game I most get midfielders and wingers so I have toi Many on these positions, but defenders is another story. 

Right now my talented goalkeeper is sent on loan to Famalicao where he Will get alot of playingtime so he Can push Unai Simon next season 

I was just wondering - when you play Long saves with Athletic the salaries after Many years with the same players get quite High. But what are you doing with wages? 

You keep the players no matter what or do you have a salary that is the highest you Will pay? At the moment we have the most expensive squad just paying a bit more than Real Madrid. 

I use 6 mio € and my biggest earner Got 400,000 € pr week 😏

I was just wondering - when you play Long saves with Athletic the salaries after Many years with the same players get quite High. But what are you doing with wages? 

You keep the players no matter what or do you have a salary that is the highest you Will pay? At the moment we have the most expensive squad just paying a bit more than Real Madrid. 

Without checking, the main players who are with you long term do get big wages - Simon, Yeray, Nunez, Williams - and you'll find that promising young players get greedy too (I try not to include annual salary increases and just pay more). Ultimately though, since we're competing for the title and doing well in the CL every season, our percentage of income spent on wages is usually the lowest in La Liga. 

This is the hardest part for me as I am usually very strict with the wage budget.  At Athletic, whilst I negotiate hard, the top players get what they want as there are no alternatives to replace them with.  I usually cut loose the squad players that get greedy and use it as a chance to bring through youngsters.  Budget is not usually an issue because it's not like you can spend the money on transfers. 

28 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

This is the hardest part for me as I am usually very strict with the wage budget.  At Athletic, whilst I negotiate hard, the top players get what they want as there are no alternatives to replace them with.  I usually cut loose the squad players that get greedy and use it as a chance to bring through youngsters.  Budget is not usually an issue because it's not like you can spend the money on transfers. 

Yeah i try to keep the wages a bit Down but also hard when you have players from age 16-17 and till they are in their late 30. It’s not like i cant pay the wages, but more how much i Want to pay 😀😀😀

Just started my first ever bilbao save! Season 1 I finished 2nd but did terrible in cups. Williams got 5 goals all season but wasn't inured so that hurt me in title run.

Season 2 went OK went out of Europe with man u and dortmund in my group j came 3rd and managed to get to a europa final where I lost 1-0 to roma due to their keeper getting a 7.7 in a game I dominated. I came 3rd in the league also. I made some sales lile morcillo and brought in herrera as my only notable signing and Ivan Martin as back up. I moved munain to cm and he was incredible as AP att and nico Williams was promoted and absolutely smashed it bagging 23 goals in his rookie season from rm. Villalibre also got 20 and became my starting striker. I have some youth coming through also that I'm looking forward to using. I'm signing spainish 16 Yr olds though from youth intakes for now as I've never done a save where I haven't just brought everyone I want on the never never.

Loving how much you have to think about tactics and force youngsters through who maybe wouldnt have a chance with you usually for one reason or another. I'm falling in love with the club haha

1 hour ago, AlfieGillard said:

Just started my first ever bilbao save! Season 1 I finished 2nd but did terrible in cups. Williams got 5 goals all season but wasn't inured so that hurt me in title run.

Season 2 went OK went out of Europe with man u and dortmund in my group j came 3rd and managed to get to a europa final where I lost 1-0 to roma due to their keeper getting a 7.7 in a game I dominated. I came 3rd in the league also. I made some sales lile morcillo and brought in herrera as my only notable signing and Ivan Martin as back up. I moved munain to cm and he was incredible as AP att and nico Williams was promoted and absolutely smashed it bagging 23 goals in his rookie season from rm. Villalibre also got 20 and became my starting striker. I have some youth coming through also that I'm looking forward to using. I'm signing spainish 16 Yr olds though from youth intakes for now as I've never done a save where I haven't just brought everyone I want on the never never.

Loving how much you have to think about tactics and force youngsters through who maybe wouldnt have a chance with you usually for one reason or another. I'm falling in love with the club haha

Good luck.  It sounds like things are going well so far.  It becomes better and better when you start to get your youth players coming through. 

Morcillo has always been steady for me but I got rid of Villalibre early as I wasn't playing with strikers.  Nico Williams did well before eventually going to PSG for £120 million although I'm currently trying to bring him back to the club. 

Athletic are a great club and they easy to fall in love with especially when you contrast them to how most Premier League clubs behave.  

Yeahh knowing it will always be local lads it must be a really special club to support is you are basque! And so much success over that time when no one else followed a similar rule is phenomenal.  Looking to bring back morcillo I was hasty letting him go. But a few very very good youngsters I have brought it from the youth intakes inaki the most frustrating player I've ever used though! Misses sooo much. 

Yeah doing OK for now worried about how I will do when yuri capa martinez all go though haha and Simon for me scares me the thought of losing him haha just wish I had some money to take some of the sociadad crowd who are very very good.

Inaki was good for me for a period at RW but was overtaken by a couple of younger players.  His goalscoring was patchy. 

image.png.12f36c264751945db45698c070f5ccb0.png

I'm still shy of defenders across the board.  Those that have come through are okay but have odd faults which hamper their performance.  Make sure you protect Simon's contract.  I have not had a good keeper come through and there is nobody else comparable.  I used Munoz and Adriozola at fullback for a bit before deciding to go for Lezama only.  They both did well.

1 hour ago, AlfieGillard said:

Yeahh knowing it will always be local lads it must be a really special club to support is you are basque! And so much success over that time when no one else followed a similar rule is phenomenal.  Looking to bring back morcillo I was hasty letting him go. But a few very very good youngsters I have brought it from the youth intakes inaki the most frustrating player I've ever used though! Misses sooo much. 

Yeah doing OK for now worried about how I will do when yuri capa martinez all go though haha and Simon for me scares me the thought of losing him haha just wish I had some money to take some of the sociadad crowd who are very very good.

You dont have to worry there Will always come some crazy talents through and if you Want ti buy anyone, so keep a Close eye on Osasuna. They get some very good youngsters 

15 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

Inaki was good for me for a period at RW but was overtaken by a couple of younger players.  His goalscoring was patchy. 

image.png.12f36c264751945db45698c070f5ccb0.png

I'm still shy of defenders across the board.  Those that have come through are okay but have odd faults which hamper their performance.  Make sure you protect Simon's contract.  I have not had a good keeper come through and there is nobody else comparable.  I used Munoz and Adriozola at fullback for a bit before deciding to go for Lezama only.  They both did well.

I’ve been very lucky with keepers. I Got a very good one at 21 now and Got a crazy one he is just 16 and Will be promoted next season. He plays for my C team and just Got his debut in the CL against Cluj 😏😏

2 minutes ago, ernemann said:

I’ve been very lucky with keepers. I Got a very good one at 21 now and Got a crazy one he is just 16 and Will be promoted next season. He plays for my C team and just Got his debut in the CL against Cluj 😏😏

I'm a little jealous.  I've had loads in previous years but none this save.  It is part of the charm of managing Athletic.  Simon is 30 so I think I have three or four years to get someone through.  The clock is ticking.  

12 minutes ago, MattyC78 said:

I'm a little jealous.  I've had loads in previous years but none this save.  It is part of the charm of managing Athletic.  Simon is 30 so I think I have three or four years to get someone through.  The clock is ticking.  

Yeah i know what you mean. I actually had 2 very good keepers beside Unai so I had to sell one of Them. Unai played till he was almost 36 and was only the last year he Werent my first choice in goal 

I have just given him a massive increase to lock in 5 years and optional 3 year extension with 500m release fee so I have him until 33 guarenteed haha. I have some crazy youth I'm getting a lot of wingers but also cms so will be looking to make them wing backs to help me out there got 2 amazing cbs coming through too and with yeray and nunes being younger I have some time there. My b team in second div so have a few kids will play. I have gavi and alkomach from barca I brought in season 1 developing well as well. And just got a 19 year old from sociadad up front as he wS unhappy with 2.9m release to challenge villalibre. Shaping up great really enjoying it. My absence of spending doesn't seem to be putting me on the front foot financially unfortunately.

And for the earlier comment thanks I will deffo keep an eye on osasuna