LENNONS 4-1-3-1-1

After my observations on FM 20 i decided to change my theory's. One thing i noticed when playing the offside trap... when the opposition initially makes a run YOUR defender actually takes a few steps BACKWARDS leaving him clear. So i developed a tactic with reducing the threat of through balls. It took awhile to settle down, but it looked really good football when we did.

The idea is to play a little deeper so the defense does not leave to much open space.  When attacking it has so many options despite playing with only one striker. As the Inverted Wingers tuck in it leaves the Attacking full backs in lots of open space. 

With Sunderland i won promotion with 6 games to spare, won the Leasing.com Trophy and got knocked out of the FA Cup by Man Utd after taking them to a replay.

IMPORTANT

The tactic is quite attacking already so stay with BALANCED mentality for most games. Only go POSITIVE or ATTACKING if you are expected to win easy. Go DEFENSIVE, or VERY DEFENSIVE if you are playing the top teams.

PLEASE NOTE : The latest version of the TACTIC... LENNONS 2.4 is on PAGE 2

Double.thumb.png.82208c6e5d4939dfd4a42a9842485fd9.pngLeague.thumb.png.358007ad351e495b31dae9df0dcc2e96.pngTactic.thumb.png.0a4a805d906839848e19b4077cc42104.pngDouble.thumb.png.fb7660a96d42fe4eb2f5c5eea2158c13.png

Unbeaton.png

Edited by andysafc

31 minutes ago, stanleycjames said:

is there any player instructions for this tactics? and do you think it will do well with a spurs side 

No individual player instructions and i think it will work well with a Spurs team it you have the right players in FB, DLP, IW and AMC it should perform really good. I would be interested how it goes. Please let me know.

2 minutes ago, andysafc said:

No individual player instructions and i think it will work well with a Spurs team it you have the right players in FB, DLP, IW and AMC it should perform really good. I would be interested how it goes. Please let me know.

my spurs team is pretty good at the moment, i have players like L Martinez, Sergio Gomez, Werner, Sane, Coman, Diaby, Rashford, Ndidi, Bentancur, Konate, max arons, mendy, upamecano adn Donnarumma. The only potential problem i see is that i have played and trained all my wide players as wingers, so i dont know how the IW will work 

If download link not working use the screen to make the tactic.

IN POSSESSION...

Play out of Defence

Low Crosses

Play out of Defence

Wide

IN TRANSISION...

Take short kicks

Distribute to full backs

Counter

Counter Press

OUT OF POSSESSION...

Much Higher Line of Engagement

More Urgent

Prevent GK Distribution

Tight Marking

SK - SP

FB - ATT

BPD - DEF

DLP - DEF

IW - ATT

BWM - SUPP

AM - SUPP

PF - ATT

i'm using it, and i logged in just to say its a great tactic. best out at the moment. i'm playing cercle bruge, i just took them over, in relegation. have used knap's sicilian, zeus from TFF, and never got the team going. took this tactic and started winning instantly. very good tactic.

3 minutes ago, Turbodave222 said:

i'm using it, and i logged in just to say its a great tactic. best out at the moment. i'm playing cercle bruge, i just took them over, in relegation. have used knap's sicilian, zeus from TFF, and never got the team going. took this tactic and started winning instantly. very good tactic.

Can you upload it somewhere so I can download? Thanks

1 hour ago, Turbodave222 said:

Thanks, nice to hear it is working with other teams.

5 minutes ago, jdubsnz said:

currently trying it with Crystal Palace who have gone 15 games with out a win!  So far 2 draws and a spanking from Liverpool

Moral is very important in FM, no tactic will work if to many players are unhappy. You need to grind out some results by going defensive first

4 minutes ago, andysafc said:

Moral is very important in FM, no tactic will work if to many players are unhappy. You need to grind out some results by going defensive first

yeah, I took the job when they were in the relegation zone and it has been the most joyless save ever

In the Championship it started very slowly, if you were using the tactic for the first time you would think it was not that good, but i knew i had signed lots of players and it would take time to settle down. it took about 10 games before results started becoming consistent. 

Blyth.thumb.png.e30e88a867cc83abd8dae591053f1953.png

1 hour ago, andysafc said:

In the Championship it started very slowly, if you were using the tactic for the first time you would think it was not that good, but i knew i had signed lots of players and it would take time to settle down. it took about 10 games before results started becoming consistent. 

Blyth.thumb.png.e30e88a867cc83abd8dae591053f1953.png

cool.  just in pre-season now.  although i am playing FM Touch on the PC so I'm not sure if it takes as long for tactics to embed?

I am working on a similar version of the tactic, same formation but trying to find the right balance between defence and attack.

To make the attack better here is my theory....

‘I am using a False Nine because this role leaves spaces for Attacking Midfielder or Wingers (inverted), this should be perfect because this tactic and formation has those 3 attacking positions. Early results look good but I prefer to test it over at least one full season, but I can add it here if anyone is willing to test it. It was WIP but I have settled on the final instructions and it just needs testing. False Nine’s are not so common so may need to train one to perfect it but I have been using Charlie Wyke (Grigg is injured for 5 weeks) and the 3 attacking midfielders are all scoring.

39 minutes ago, Law_Man said:

Thanks. I'd happily give it a blast, but is there any way the inverted wingers can be AML and AMR instead of ML and MR? Have you experimented with this?

I have the same problem, sometimes your team has a AML-AMR that you just want to use. In my case it is Duncan Watmore. I have used him in that role with some success, but I keep getting in game messages to play him in a more familiar position. I tried training him for the Inverted Winger but it seems to take ages. Also I did try the real AML position but found it was ineffective, it is more effective for wide players to start from deep and run with the ball, that works well in this match engine. I have also made minor changes to the line of engagement and slowed the pace down. I think, so far, that helps create better chances and keeping possession at the same time.

‘I will upload the tactic in the morning 

Edited by andysafc

Ok so rather than rotating the striker i think it is better to use 2 very slightly different versions.

Same tactic but with 2 strikers at home, 1 striker away

HOME TACTIC - Use in all Home games. MENTALITY = Positive by default.  You can adjust to suit who you are playing against. Example... easy win = Attacking, Playing a top team = Defensive

AWAY TACTIC - use in all Away games. MENTALITY = Balanced by default. Change to suit.

Please try it out and let me know.

Thank you

Merry Christmas to you all !

Lennons V14 Home.fmf Lennons V14 Away.fmf

I don't know why we make tactics until they are finished patching the game.

Anyway after the latest patch, this is what i am using....

HOME TACTIC - All home games, adjust MENTALITY to suit

AWAY TACTIC - All Away games, Adjust MENTALITY to suit

Untitledone.thumb.png.814b35f94b6ed524aba13beea48b199b.pngUntitledtwo.thumb.png.85ff1e381de74d084c70f6f18731c87f.pngUntitledthree.thumb.png.5c15e9295c9ab09b4602aad7894671f2.png

Lennons V15 Home.fmf

Lennons V15 Away.fmf

Edited by andysafc

2 hours ago, andysafc said:

I don't know why we make tactics until they are finished patching the game.

Anyway after the latest patch, this is what i am using....

HOME TACTIC - All home games, adjust MENTALITY to suit

AWAY TACTIC - All Away games, Adjust MENTALITY to suit

Untitledone.thumb.png.814b35f94b6ed524aba13beea48b199b.pngUntitledtwo.thumb.png.85ff1e381de74d084c70f6f18731c87f.pngUntitledthree.thumb.png.5c15e9295c9ab09b4602aad7894671f2.png

Lennons V15 Home.fmf 43.14 kB · 3 downloads

Lennons V15 Away.fmf 43.04 kB · 4 downloads

Impressive amount of clean sheets!! 12 out of 16! :applause:

4 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

Impressive amount of clean sheets!! 12 out of 16! :applause:

thanks. The only game i lost, i should have won. but i can't complain as we rode our luck in a couple of other games. When making a tactic you have to get the defence right first or it is hard getting the tactic right. 

In my Opinion with Football Manager it is not about trying to play how you would in real football, instead we are competing against a Match Engine. Just one example... i have a striker Will Grigg whose natural position is a poacher. So i created a possession tactic where we got lots of balls to him in the box but he barely scored. I can see how people will get frustrated because what you think will work, may not work against the Match Engine. 

Then there are tactics that work brilliantly then die miserably. i think i have been a victim of that on several occasions.

So my latest work is to try and come up with something that is a little different home and away so as it is not to predictable.

the idea is to play 2 wide Attacking Midfielders at home - An Inside Forward on the left and an Advanced Playmaker on the right.

In Away games they are not so advanced with a Wide Playmaker this time on the left and a Attacker Winger on the right.

It is early days in testing but so far after 8 games we won 7 in the League... without conceding a goal, and won 2-1 away to Championship side Wigan in the Caribao Cup.

MENTALITY - 

HOME - Against a top team DEFENSIVE or CAUTIOUS

NEAR EQUAL or SHORT FAVORITES - BALANCED or POSITIVE

EXPECTED TO WIN - ATTACKING

AWAY - Top Team - DEFENSIVE

A good team - CAUTIOUS

Near Equal - BALANCED

Expected to win - POSITIVE or ATTACKING

***IN GAME***

If opponents are getting more shots than you, drop MENTALITY by one

If you are getting more shots but no goals, move up one. 

Drop down to CAUTIOUS OR DEFENSIVE  in last 10 minutes when winning.

fixtures.thumb.png.9c70c1f9f596e2bb0d3b198de11664d4.pngLeague.thumb.png.7fcb106f7410ef6a439c56ed3d42538d.pngHome.thumb.png.f578b12c199f502560fc9be8d663b681.pngAway.thumb.png.3abf943f3eb1b35533f5943947979870.png

I have noticed that i ask my ASSISTANT to pick the team then i make changes if required, he choses a M/AM for the ADVANCED PLAYMAKER position even though it looks like the AMR position but the ADVANCED PLAYMAKER is on fire so far. The striker works well, POACHER was not effective. In one game i even tried playing my reserve keeper and still kept a clean sheet.

57 minutes ago, andysafc said:

In my Opinion with Football Manager it is not about trying to play how you would in real football, instead we are competing against a Match Engine. Just one example... i have a striker Will Grigg whose natural position is a poacher. So i created a possession tactic where we got lots of balls to him in the box but he barely scored. I can see how people will get frustrated because what you think will work, may not work against the Match Engine. 

i REALLY love FM20. i do. but i have to agree with you regarding us VS match engine. there slogan is "play your way" or something like that, but you're not and you can't really. always playing against the ME. Hence why most tactics are very aggressive. and also theres a a huge demand for downloadable tactics this year. some people don't even want to "break the engine", some just want to play a certain way and keep failing. i think this year they've made it harder than ever to play your own way. stuff like "tackle harder" becomes too much of an essential. removing it has caused some tactics to just collapse lol and though you dont want to keep fouling and getting yellow/red cards, you kind of forced to if you want consistent results

that's just my view anyway 

10 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

i REALLY love FM20. i do. but i have to agree with you regarding us VS match engine. there slogan is "play your way" or something like that, but you're not and you can't really. always playing against the ME. Hence why most tactics are very aggressive. and also theres a a huge demand for downloadable tactics this year. some people don't even want to "break the engine", some just want to play a certain way and keep failing. i think this year they've made it harder than ever to play your own way. stuff like "tackle harder" becomes too much of an essential. removing it has caused some tactics to just collapse lol and though you dont want to keep fouling and getting yellow/red cards, you kind of forced to if you want consistent results

that's just my view anyway 

I completely agree with that. I tried taking off Tight Marking and the defence seems to collapse altogether. SI have a way of thinking how things work, but how are we to know how they think? Like i said a Natural Poacher should work more effective as a POACHER, within the right tactic, but that is not so. With a Natural Poacher i had 19 shots at goal and only one on target. It also seems if just one instruction  is wrong the whole tactic does not work. 

Edited by andysafc