Football Manager 2020 Touch Switch Official Feedback Thread

• SI Staff

Hi all,

We're excited to have launched Football Manager 2020 Touch for Switch today, and we're eager to hear all your thoughts on it.

Please use this thread to share and discuss how you're finding this year's game, but please also ensure things are kept constructive.

Football Manager 2020 Touch is now available on Switch: FM20.store/Switch

Any issues/bugs that are found, please post them in the Bugs Found on Switch forum, within the Football Manager 2020 Touch Bugs section.

Having last played a FM game more years ago than I can remember, I decided to pick up FM2020 for my Switch after getting the spreadsheet manager urge from listening to the IGN UK FM podcast. Not sure how relevant feedback from a noob will be but here goes after a day with the game:

1. No official logos, kits or photos for Premier League teams - is this correct?

2. Controls seem very unintuitive. There appears to me three systems to control the game - touchscreen, left stick controller cursor or D-Pad and buttons. I have found that no one system will let you do everything you need to do so have had to use a hybrid of all three methods. I have a stylus so hoped that i could just use touch controls as name suggests, but you have to use shoulder buttons to access menus and clicking soem things with stylus doesn'y do the same as clicking things with cursor. I found using left stick for cursor and A button as left mouse lets you do 90% of things, with shoulder buttons needed for opening menus etc.

3. It is very hard to find stuff. This may just be because I am overwhelmed as a new user, or it may be bacuse the interface / controls need improvement.

15 minutes ago, EggDaddy06 said:

2. Controls seem very unintuitive. There appears to me three systems to control the game - touchscreen, left stick controller cursor or D-Pad and buttons. I have found that no one system will let you do everything you need to do so have had to use a hybrid of all three methods. I have a stylus so hoped that i could just use touch controls as name suggests, but you have to use shoulder buttons to access menus and clicking soem things with stylus doesn'y do the same as clicking things with cursor. I found using left stick for cursor and A button as left mouse lets you do 90% of things, with shoulder buttons needed for opening menus etc.

3. It is very hard to find stuff. This may just be because I am overwhelmed as a new user, or it may be bacuse the interface / controls need improvement.

This. The controls are really poorly designed for the switch, and are very slow as well.

I am also finding it incredibly hard to do things I’d describe as basic on the Switch, such as manually bid for players, offer players new contracts and add players to transfer bids.

overall very disappointed in the switch version, definitely regret purchasing it on release day, wish I’d have waited for reviews.

I am very happy with FMT20 for the Nintendo Switch. I had spent quite some time with last year´s version, and I believe I can safely say that the new one is definitely an improvement.

Controls are fine, the game runs smooth and quick and 3D matches look fine. Everything is perfectly readable on the screen. I had been a bit hesitant before release because of the issues I had been reading of concerning FMT on tablets especially, like the delayed updates, no PPM´s visible for scouted players (which, by the way, is not the case in the Switch version), etc., but I truly love FMT on the Switch, very enjoyable.

Keep up the good work SI, even though a small but vocal minority might not be perfectly happy with things - as far as the Switch version goes, I certainly am :) .

16 hours ago, EggDaddy06 said:

1. No official logos, kits or photos for Premier League teams - is this correct?

Yes, this is correct, and btw, this is the case across all platforms and all versions of the game.

2. Controls seem very unintuitive. There appears to me three systems to control the game - touchscreen, left stick controller cursor or D-Pad and buttons. I have found that no one system will let you do everything you need to do so have had to use a hybrid of all three methods.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I think they really nailed the controls. You can do everything and access every aspect of the game using the sticks and the shoulder buttons, it is to be expected to have to use more than a single button to access all the information that comes with the game.

I really do believe that you might simply be a bit overwhelmed. You opened your post saying that you had not picked up FM in many years, so that is probably to be expected. Give it some time, mate, dig in and you will be rewarded with a fine game. I really hope you find your FM enjoyment again!

Edited by Jasonxx

16 hours ago, Pottsy96 said:

I am also finding it incredibly hard to do things I’d describe as basic on the Switch, such as manually bid for players, offer players new contracts and add players to transfer bids.

Hitting the right shoulder button lets you access most of these things directly related to a player very quickly.

5 minutes ago, EggDaddy06 said:

Is it also correct that there are no sounds or background music, and the only noise is crowd noise during a match?

That is true indeed :) .

It may certainly take a bit to get used to the controls, especially if you have been out of touch (no pun intended) with FM in general, but once you figured out where the information you mostly need is hidden and how to access it, I find it is actually pretty comfortable.

So ive been a FMT fan since its "Classic" rebirth....as i wasnt finding enough time to play the full FM game. Ive lived it each year....first time ive only got it for my Nintendo Switch and im disappointed....its FMT-Lite. The controls takesome getting use to, it does at times feel like 3 in 1 controlling and i wish i could select just 1 (im not sure if certain controll methods you can only do certain things....highlighting a few players n "right clicking" to bring up the sub menu can only be done via touch screen.....?!?) 

Only being able to select 3 countries is annoying, its FM mobile limiting, should be able to add more countries but then fewer leagues.

No unlockables....this is wierd because its not like other games on the Nintendo Switch havent included in game purchases. Especially the game editor, challenges, create a son etc

Performance wise, its been great. I made a save with England, France n Germany full leagues n it gave me half a star game speed but ive barely noticed slow loading of days/ games. Playing matches in 3D takes about 10ish seconds which to me is fine, the match engine is decent enough for the Switch, looks a bit graphically "watered" down when in docked mode.

No cross platform saves? Surely theres a way of doing this by now? I would have been happy to biy 2 different copies of FMT too.

All the screen layouts of each menu, submenu are really well done...when lookimg at a player i like you can customise what you want to see first....never noticed it before but on the Switch its great.

P.S im not biased but Leicester City once again have been treated poorly in not only finances but player ability etc Yet for the 100th year running Liverpool n Man Utd have been over loved with huge money, ability ratings n price of players......makes me wonder if certain game staff are fans.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m really struggling to even work out how to move players to/from the reserve team. Last years controls much more intuitive- not sure why they removed selection the player using X/Y and being able to move. This years controls are baffling, considering cancelling my purchase on this one and just continuing with last years. Not impressed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 12/12/2019 at 16:57, THFourteen said:

Haven’t bought this yet. But no cloud save is a poor missing feature. The folks at Larian managed this with Divinity Original Sin 2, why not ask how they did it? Can’t be that hard. 

Different platforms have different restrictions and the most frequent cause for us being unable to provide cloud saves is a platform not supporting large save files - some games (notably lighter non-simulation games) have very small save files, the ones for FM-style games can often be 100-1,000x the size of such products saves.

Loving the game on the switch, shame there is no way to add kits and logos as on other devices. I seem to have gone all out this time around, not only have I bought FM20 (including FMT20) for my laptop but I've also purchased FM Mobile for both my IPad and android phone, then saw what it looked like on the switch and bought a Switch Lite to play Touch on. 

On 13/01/2020 at 15:30, Marc Vaughan said:

Different platforms have different restrictions and the most frequent cause for us being unable to provide cloud saves is a platform not supporting large save files - some games (notably lighter non-simulation games) have very small save files, the ones for FM-style games can often be 100-1,000x the size of such products saves.

Yeah good point Marc. I noticed on my PC save it’s taking up 500mb on the steam cloud just for one save slot, the overwrite backup and two rolling weekly auto saves. It also takes a good few minutes to upload when I quit the game, imagine Nintendo are a bit more controlling on that front. 

So far it looks better than 2019. Menus are better structured and smoother. In 2019 I was able to press "X" above a name and access to some options, it's not available now and makes it more difficult.

The match engine is atrocious, I'm not going to number all the issues raised here, but I'd like to know if the next update focusing on ME, which is now tested as a public beta, will be added to the Switch version around the same time as the full game and other Touch platforms.

Edited by Nil14

On 17/01/2020 at 18:07, Nil14 said:

So far it looks better than 2019. Menus are better structured and smoother. In 2019 I was able to press "X" above a name and access to some options, it's not available now and makes it more difficult.

The match engine is atrocious, I'm not going to number all the issues raised here, but I'd like to know if the next update focusing on ME, which is now tested as a public beta, will be added to the Switch version around the same time as the full game and other Touch platforms.

I'm just properly getting to grips with the 2020 version (I've got back into the dangerous time-sucking hobby of editing the PC version recently lol) and am so far really enjoying it, as I did with 2019 version.  However, I do have to second the X button shortcut absence alas :) navigating the UI isn't always user-friendly it has to be said and such shortcuts seem small but every little helps! :D

I'll give more feedback once I've played more of the game, but first impressions are another great job overall, thanks guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting so fed up of this game. I have what I think are top class central defenders (Izzo, Skriniar, Davidson Sanchez) who are absolutely terrible. Always averaging 6.7. Sometimes I have Izzo on cover, yet a long ball comes forward and he moves towards it and misjudges it, leaving space behind him for the forward to run onto with a one-on-one. I see my tall central defenders losing aerial challenges to small attackers time after time. Firmino behaves like Peter Crouch against my defence. I've seen Augero run from the edge of his own area and run the length of the pitch and score, I had 3 defenders back. Only one made an effort to challenge him, the other two were nowhere near him, even though there was no one else in attack. Defenders making useless back-passes, even though I've not said work ball out of defence. I have even tried putting these ball-playing defenders on No-Nonsense to see if that helps. I've seen my CBs try to control the ball on the goal-line when they should be hoofing it into row Z. And in general with my players I see them with the opportunity to get to the ball first, but they just stand there for a moment allowing the opposition to get to the ball first. My players have high workrate, high anticipation etc. but none of this seems to make any difference. There are plenty of other issues I have not mentioned, it would take too long to list them all. I am not the worlds greatest football manager, but in previous versions I have won the Premier League many times, the Champions League a few times, and won the European Championship with England, so I am no novice. I really can't wait for the next update, because at the moment I am finding it almost impossible.

Just wanted to pop in and make a couple of points:

• The UI is a great improvement on FMT18 (which I also played on the Switch) and feels a lot more intuitive. That said, I feel there's a bit of work to go in this department. The hitboxes on certain buttons/dropdowns seem inconsistent and this makes team selection a bit of a faff.
  • There seems to be some sort of graphical glitch whereby the crowd members appear to "flash" during sunny weather. Maybe something to do with the way the lighting is processed on the switch version?
  • Overall a smoother experience to that of FMT18; the processing times are lightning quick in comparison.

Just started playing this myself, finding the user interface a little fiddly, but fine to be honest - not sure what more people could expect from a mouse-optimised game driven by controller.

Agree with @felley above, some of the "hitboxes" are a bit random, and I keep clicking into screens I don't want to be in. 

And would love an editor - I cant cope with Zebre.

I do find pressing the - key annoying, especially as I use it a lot!

Edited by THFourteen

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this game is completely unplayable on my iPad Pro. I want my money back. All scroll down menus are «unscrollable» as it will pick an option whenever i put my finger down to scroll. And, for some reason, when I try to enter my name it is stuck with only writing «u»’s and «s»’s no matter what button i push. 

I can’t really give any input when it comes to gameplay, as I can’t even get through the menus.

• 2 weeks later...