4-4-2 that fails against 4-4-2

I've been tweaking the attached 4-4-2 formation over the last two seasons and having some pretty good success with it with one notable flaw...I get absolutely destroyed going against any other 4-4-2s. I'm giving up 4 or 5 goals a game from anywhere on the pitch. They can waltz unmolested right down the middle of the pitch. Where am I going so wrong?

I'm in the Regional First Div w/ Dan BHTFC's lower league DB, so having attributes in the double digits is a rarity. What tweaks can I make without adding a bunch of TIs or fancy positions that'll overwhelm my squad?

442 custom.PNG

The only glaring issue for me is your left flank; Both the IW and the FB are looking to make forward runs, and the BBM will also look to get up in support later on during moves. All of the above would require your LCB to be super human :D I’d look to either: change the FB from support to attack, or make the BBM a Carrilero/CM-D so that he covers for the FB when he goes to attack. 

I'd have a look at the Pairs and Combinations guide by LLama3 which is http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/423054-Lines-and-Diamonds-The-Tactician-s-Handbook-for-Football-Manager-2015 to improve the tactic as your selection of roles and duties could do with some revision.

The reason why teams can play so easily through the middle is that you have no holding midfielder (defend duty). You have then exacerbated that problem by focusing play through the middle which increases the individual mentality of the central midfielders. It's important to have a player that stays back when your team attacks especially when you have a fullback on his side who you expect to get forward constantly. You need someone to delay attacks enough to allow your defenders to recover their defensive positions. It's also important to have an option who sits deep to allow the team to recycle possession and create depth to your attacking play.

All the best

Edited by pheelf

9 hours ago, Volkditty said:

They can waltz unmolested right down the middle of the pitch. Where am I going so wrong?

There's no holding centre midfielder. Use either one of those as your support duty then change the other to a defend duty