Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, Can you please please please stop answering the same questions over and over again.

and have a go with mine, which ive asked several times, and have never seen it answered.

if people cant be bothered to read the thread for answers, then they dont deserve to play.

Right, i have downloaded the game from steam, i have patched it, i have downloaded the Framework, and i have also got The service pack for it, i have also downloaded the 500mb direct x SDK, My Graphics card has the latest drivers - The Demo worked on this computer also.

Right and now my problem.

When I launch the Program, With or without steam., it says my trail period has expired and asks me for my Product Key. so i put it in, Next it acticated successfully, and thanks me. The Installation of Football Manager 2009 certificate has been activated under product key: xxx.

so i press ok, Then - Nothing! nothing at all, it doesnt launch.

So when i go back to starting the program, it does it all again, Product key, Thank you, nothing. Product key, Thank you, nothing, Product key, Thank you, nothing, Product key, Thank you, nothing.

HELP PLEASE!

Thank you

Hello? any help today?

is there anyway i can get a refund from steam if this cant be sorted? im starting to wish i didnt buy the game now, to add insult to injury - the game was 30% more expensive to download.

Hello i put the football manager cd in my cd drive but i get a message saying disk is not formatted, windows cannot read from the disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

What can i do to correct this ?

Only little me again........

Two problems now....

Loaded game on new lap top and graphics error comes up. Downloaded Direct X add on and nothing.

Loaded game on old lap top (3 years old) runs fine till it suddenly crashes with the message "Error - Array out of range".

What does this mean?

Also the patch is still not accessable, is there a problem with it.

Can someone PM me with how to sort the above, pretty please!!!!!!

Managed to get FM2009 up and running last night. I had the fm.exe encountered problems and needs to close issue.....

List of what I did before it started working again.

1. Updated the dotfix.net thingy as suggested by SI. Effect - no change; same error occuring. Then reinstalled fm2009 but still no joy.

2. Used latest patch (165mb) from link on the threads above (was it Mirror 4 UK?? - can't remember). Effect - change; but still didn't load - came up with error stating 'graphics card not sufficient'. Did not reinstall fm 2009.

3. Updated dxdsk drivers as suggested (massive 460mb file). First time installation did not complete as there was an 'Error SIS0010' or something similar. Tried FM2009 just in case. Effect - same as 2 above.

4. Tried again with dxdsk - Installed correctly. Effect - FM2009 WORKS. Loaded fine and runs okish. Small minor bugs still but works ok and only 2D effect available.

I had a Radeon 9700 graphics card so I did hear that wasn't good enough. Anyhow message to LIVEWIRE, STEDDERS and BIGAL81. Try above again and make sure all patches and installations work correctly.

Let me know how you get on.

thanks very much, ill try this when i get home.

Really don't understand what's going on, VERY ANNOYED but my game will play for a day then needs re-registering.

THEN, Tried all the required fixes and hints but when i try to play i get the XML parseling error! The short tip has no effect

I'm proper fed up with this.

Is this product fit for purpose?

Okey, so I have installed the game with unilock, and nothing happens as I launch the game. I have tried to shut it down in task manager and re-launching. And the exact same thing happens. What do I do? I have also tried installing with Steam experiencing the same result. And yes, have reported it to Steam without any clarification thus far.

Hey can any of you guys help me out, this is my problem but no one from SI seems bothered!!!!!!!!!!

Installation: Successfulwith errors.

10 Successes

1 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Install Log Detail:

Execute Script/Batch file: Steam InternetCheck.exe

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam

Value Name: InternetConnectivity

Check Disk Space: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

Additional Notes: NOTE - Required Disk Space: 223,090,694; Free Disk Space: 23,604,281,344

Install Action: Jump To: Next Steam Label -- Prev: NO JUMP

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\

Value Name: InstallPath

Additional Notes: WARNING - Win32Exception

Execute Script/Batch file: Install Steam

Execute Command: "$IA_STEAM_INSTALLPATH$\steam.exe" -install $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$\..\..\..\..\thirdparty\stea m\fm2009\

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\saAuditMD.dll

Execute Uninstaller: $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Uninstall $PRODUCT_NAME

Additional Notes: ERROR - No uninstaller existed in the directory

Please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.

you always said go the key check website to find a valid key

http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

I tried many combinations and guess what the printing was

and still cant get a possible key.

How can you print out some keys that so difficult to recognize?

Are you really so stupid?

What can i do?

I am very upset of this

May be i better find out a crack file to play the game?

I have been getting the error -703 message since 10.30 this morning.

Surely it is not fair to expect people to have to try for the best part of 4.5 hours to be able to play a game???

It seems unreasonable to me.

Your fix is to keep trying?

Well I have been trying on and off for the whole day and it still wont go through.

"We were unable to proccess you unlock request. To recieve a new key, please visit: www.sigames.com

Error : [-703]"

This is now my new most hated phrase.

I'm having problems with the XML Parsing error. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it - doesnt change anything. I authenticated it with steam - bought the physical copy of the game. Bought a whole new pc so i could play the game - managed to play 3/4 games and then this happened-

'not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of speed.xml'

have tried renaming the fm.exe file in the steam folder to the '--reset_preferences' but when i double click that - it doesnt work, and then when i try to work it via steam it says the game is unavailable. Please help - have spent so much money (£350 in total) to play this game

Thanks!

I posted earlier about the parsing error. Thanks for your suggestion neilos - but i have already tried that. My solution to this problem was to uninstall everything and then reinstall using uniloc. The installation was apparently successful, but there were a few errors. Then all of a sudden football manager ran, and it was working. However it ran without sound and continually crashes. You pretty much have to save every few days to not lose a lot of your playing time which is annoying.

Think i'd rather play it with steam - but this parsing error is annoying. Other people who have this XML Parsing error - did you install with steam or uniloc?

So annoyed because I've been playing this game for nigh on 10 years when I was 11, having no problems at all. This year SI seems to have not even bothered testing it before release. Am desperate to play it. Bought a new computer especially so I could....!

Sorry, but like many others (I suspect). I have given up and just got a refund on the game. I am not technically minded enough to get through this rubbish. Sorry but this is utter rubbish, I will look for an alternative game, I am really dissapointed.

I think thats the way I am headed. Although getting a refund will be more complicated as I got it from Amazon which means I have to re-package it and send it back.

Like you I am not techniacally minded and although (from the sounds of things) my problem should be 'easy' to fix ie just keep trying to ativate it I cant.

To be honest it sounds as if there are a host of problems to look forward to even if I do manage to activate the game.

I have been buying Championship Manager/Football manager for the last 8 years and have never had this kind of trouble with it.

Can someone please help with the problem im having with fm2009.

I have been all through the thread for solutions and this has not come up yet from what i see.

I have quite an oldish laptop but was able to run the demo fine (minus 3D match engine) and the same with the game when i downloaded it.

However, now that I have downloaded the patch I get the "Cannot setup graphics error" I have downloaded all the possible programmes (including the massive direct X file). This file will not even install on my laptop - I dont think I even have a graphics card as far as I am aware.

My question is, why, if my game runs fine without the patch is this suddenly giving me all these problems ? Surely the patch is supposed to make the game better not make it unplayable.

I have to say it sickens, given all the issues with FM2009, that the top thread is still win a can of FM deodrant. How about instead of cheap gimmicks more time is put into the game and its development to avoid this utter shambles. If my demo worked fine and I buy the game based on this then I feel totally misled by the fact that the actual game when patched requires different specs to play. Absolute joke - have played this game since the CM Italia series so to say I feel completely let down by sports interactive is an understatement.

Anyways, Im sure lots of people have problems of their own with this game but if anyone can shed any light on this it owuld be much appreciated !

Many thanks,

I posted earlier about the parsing error. Thanks for your suggestion neilos - but i have already tried that. My solution to this problem was to uninstall everything and then reinstall using uniloc. The installation was apparently successful, but there were a few errors. Then all of a sudden football manager ran, and it was working. However it ran without sound and continually crashes. You pretty much have to save every few days to not lose a lot of your playing time which is annoying.

Think i'd rather play it with steam - but this parsing error is annoying. Other people who have this XML Parsing error - did you install with steam or uniloc?

So annoyed because I've been playing this game for nigh on 10 years when I was 11, having no problems at all. This year SI seems to have not even bothered testing it before release. Am desperate to play it. Bought a new computer especially so I could....!

Rich,

Had the XML Parsing error after installing through Steam (boxed copy), doesn't seem to matter what i do, it wont work. I've updated drivers, framework, tried the shortcut edit and still after WASTING 3 days of my life un-installing and re-installing IT WILL NOT WORK!

I don't know what to do!

Rich,

Had the XML Parsing error after installing through Steam (boxed copy), doesn't seem to matter what i do, it wont work. I've updated drivers, framework, tried the shortcut edit and still after WASTING 3 days of my life un-installing and re-installing IT WILL NOT WORK!

I don't know what to do!

Have you tried uninstalling it all - and reinstalling via uniloc? it worked for me - but works without sound and occassionally crashes. its interesting that you also got the xml error through installing it through steam. want to see other peoples ideas on that too. i too have spent a similar amount of time tryingto get this bloody game to work

Have you tried uninstalling it all - and reinstalling via uniloc? it worked for me - but works without sound and occassionally crashes. its interesting that you also got the xml error through installing it through steam. want to see other peoples ideas on that too. i too have spent a similar amount of time tryingto get this bloody game to work

Haven't tried uniloc -not real keen if crashes and is as error strewn. Think i'm reaching the end of my rope, i've done everything they suggest and more. Didn't know you needed a computer engineering degree to play this years FM, maybe it should have been a minimum requirement on the box! Hope you kept your receipt!

Dear Jimmy please help...

Hi all, i'm in desperate need of assistance before i stick on a leonard cohen record and reach for the bottom of potassium cyanide...

I've had a quick look over this thread and google but i haven't found anyone with the same problem or indeed a solution!

Bought the game (hard copy) yesterday, installed it and activated on steam (which i already had) with no problems...however on trying to launch the game...nothing happened. Only a message stating that it was preparing launch (which never materializes) or sometimes not even that.

Well, i removed the game and re-installed it, interestingly i did not have to re-activate or re- enter the keycode on the second installation (i assume that is ok). Anyway i attempted to launch the game again...and the same thing happened - nothing.

I tried to launch the game via the .exe where i installed it - C:/programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager, and i got this error message -

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Any ideas how to solve this?

My laptop spec is comfortably good enough to run the game and for the record my graphics card is - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 512MB.

P.S Immediately after the installation of the game, something was uploaded via steam to my computer - is this the patch or do i have to download it separately?

Thanks in advance for any help

Have you installed the 9.1.0 patch?

Yes I have installed the latest patch. Having also tried the game in the windowed mode, I've noticed that when NOT in windowed mode displaying the "Information" screen for ANY club results in the game crashing before it can load the images of the team shirts. Possibly trying to load these images is causing the crash...?

SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION

OK for all people experiencing The "Fm.exe has encountered a problem"

when you installed the DirectX Download as provided by SI, to fix the graphic problem, another problem was invented as a result, that comes into play at next start up.

In the download, a file d3d9d.dll was created this can be seen if you type in (dxdiag in run - start panel) you will notice this and it is actually interfering with the running of the game (will be a hazard sign next to the file) you will also see it is a FINAL DEBUG FILE NOT A FINAL RETAIL, conflicting with the game graphics thus preventing any start-up of footy manager

Maybe SI can elaborate on my findings and possibly provide information for not just me but most people on where we can find a fix and final retail version of d3d9d.dll

installed the graphics system link u gave me and i went to run it and it came up in a box

this setup executable has not been packed with files and settings. Please use the packer tool to build this executable

error code: S1001

NEILL DEJYOTHIN U TOLD ME TO PM U AND I DDI REPLY BACK

When I click to launch the game I get a System - Error stating that the game is currently unavailable and that I should try again later - is this some kind of twisted joke? I've paid for the game and would like to play it whenever the hell I choose! Is there anyway that I can play the game without going through Steam?

Dear Jimmy please help...

Hi all, i'm in desperate need of assistance before i stick on a leonard cohen record and reach for the bottom of potassium cyanide...

I've had a quick look over this thread and google but i haven't found anyone with the same problem or indeed a solution!

Bought the game (hard copy) yesterday, installed it and activated on steam (which i already had) with no problems...however on trying to launch the game...nothing happened. Only a message stating that it was preparing launch (which never materializes) or sometimes not even that.

Well, i removed the game and re-installed it, interestingly i did not have to re-activate or re- enter the keycode on the second installation (i assume that is ok). Anyway i attempted to launch the game again...and the same thing happened - nothing.

I tried to launch the game via the .exe where i installed it - C:/programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager, and i got this error message -

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Any ideas how to solve this?

My laptop spec is comfortably good enough to run the game and for the record my graphics card is - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 512MB.

P.S Immediately after the installation of the game, something was uploaded via steam to my computer - is this the patch or do i have to download it separately?

Thanks in advance for any help

type d3dx9_37.dll into google, and download the dll file (will take about a minute) and then cut and paste it into the folder where the Fm.exe is located.

then just load the game as normal.

I have successfully install Football Manager 2009 and created a game. But when i was going on to my first match, I waited for around 5 mins and the screen just freeze there. This also happen when i click on the information of my club with the game not responding. I check through all the requirement of the game before I bought it just to ensure my computer can support the game and play the game smoothly, and to encounter this kind of problem really made me felt disappointed and cheated by sigames. I hope sigames can quickly come up with solution to my problem. I hope you understand that we pay to play the game and not to fix the problem the game has caused.

When I click to launch the game I get a System - Error stating that the game is currently unavailable and that I should try again later - is this some kind of twisted joke? I've paid for the game and would like to play it whenever the hell I choose! Is there anyway that I can play the game without going through Steam?

Can you try the following from within Steam:

- Right-click on "Football Manager 2009".

- From the pop-up menu select "Properties".

- Select the "Local Files" tab.

- Choose "Verify integrity of game cache.."

Wait until this has completed and then try and run the game. It may take a little while, even once it appears to have finished.

I have successfully install Football Manager 2009 and created a game. But when i was going on to my first match, I waited for around 5 mins and the screen just freeze there. This also happen when i click on the information of my club with the game not responding. I check through all the requirement of the game before I bought it just to ensure my computer can support the game and play the game smoothly, and to encounter this kind of problem really made me felt disappointed and cheated by sigames. I hope sigames can quickly come up with solution to my problem. I hope you understand that we pay to play the game and not to fix the problem the game has caused.

You may also want to try running in Windowed mode to see if that helps.

Nice question Mr. Dejyothin but I don't think 9.0.1 patch will help all of us to prevent from numerous bugs and errors.I don't know a firm who try to sell a product with lots of mistakes in every works. Sigames year by year start to not think their customers and think that all the customers are fan of football manager and if we give something with mistake to customer,no problem, we will make a patch and other patch and other patch.

The last good work is fm 2007.Fm 2008 is ended at 8.0.2 without solving some mistakes for example easy goals from corner. (Fazio 36 goals/season only head goals)

Now 2009 started with many many mistakes.I think this game must win the prize of The game with the biggest mistakes in the world.

Many pages of different and complicated problems and so few solves.Some solves are funny ( play with no sound) This is your responsibility to make the game work properly. Paly wtih no sound play with 2D don't do this don't put this ,don't use this option of game.What a solving.

I hope that you work hard to make a 9.0.2 patch in coming weeks asap.

And at fm2010 I hope that you will test every details before selling the game and let the customers play without any difficulties.

If you don't think your customers ,one day they won't think you and they go buying another games related with football managing.

I bought this year's game too as I'm one of fm fan but if next game of football manager release still with many mistakes I won't but anymore.

Rich,

I don't know what to do!

It will work, you just need to reset your game settings.

From within Steam:

- Right-click on "Football Manager 2009" and select "Create desktop shortcut".

- Right-click on the shortcut you made and select "Properties".

- In the "Target" field append --reset_preferences on the end.

- It should look something like this:

"C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.exe" --reset_preferences

- Select 'Apply' and 'OK' and then launch the game from the shortcut.

Hi i got an problem that doesnt seem to have been mentioned anywhere:

When i am playing the game my screen flashes every so often, it doesnt minimize or exit it just continues to flash for as long as i am playing?

any ideas?

It sounds like you may need to update your graphics card drivers. Have you done that?

Yes I have installed the latest patch. Having also tried the game in the windowed mode, I've noticed that when NOT in windowed mode displaying the "Information" screen for ANY club results in the game crashing before it can load the images of the team shirts. Possibly trying to load these images is causing the crash...?

Can you drop me a PM please with your email address?

Okey, so I have installed the game with unilock, and nothing happens as I launch the game. I have tried to shut it down in task manager and re-launching. And the exact same thing happens. What do I do? I have also tried installing with Steam experiencing the same result. And yes, have reported it to Steam without any clarification thus far.

Finally got my game working in windowed mode no thanks to any of the jokers here who class themselves as people who will help you....i asked numerous times for help and not one time did any of them give me any kind of answer or solution to my numerous problems.

You're still being reported to Trading Standards for all of the trouble I, and many other people have endured trying to get this game to work and after this I am never buying another SI game again, back to Championship Manager when it's released in April 2009 for me

Finally got my game working in windowed mode no thanks to any of the jokers here who class themselves as people who will help you....i asked numerous times for help and not one time did any of them give me any kind of answer or solution to my numerous problems.

You're still being reported to Trading Standards for all of the trouble I, and many other people have endured trying to get this game to work and after this I am never buying another SI game again, back to Championship Manager when it's released in April 2009 for me

Sorry to hear of your frustration and troubles, but I'm glad to hear you're up and running.

The instructions on how to run in Windowed mode have been posted many times across the forums, but we appreciate it can be difficult sometimes to find them on such a busy message board. Nobody would have been ignoring you intentionally.

Marc,

the game loads perfectly and everything is fine until it comes to my first match, and as soon as i try to make a substitution the game crashes and a message comes up saying that a file has been created in the fm09 folder. this folder is a crash dumps folder and the files that are in there all read "FM 2009 v9.1.0.26064". after that comes up, the game automatically shut it's self down

I have the same problem. I can load it all up fine and play away for the first game, then when it comes to the second game, crashes and an error pops up! and the game dissapears. But in the task manager on the computer the game is still running but i cant activate it or find it to play it anymore!!

Its all a bit disappointing with these errors!!!!!

Archived