[Discussion] World Cup Year Transfers

connorm9355

This suggestion is based on something I saw in the transfer news that Inter Milan are specifically seeking permanent and loan moves for players needing first-team football or major league exposure with just half a season to go until the World Cup, such as Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge, Borussia Dortmund's Andre Schürrle, and Jiangsu Suning's Ramires.

It strikes me that, first of all, it wouldn't be too difficult to replicate the real-world concerns of players going into a World Cup season, and especially going into the January window of that year. So, I should imagine that it would be possible to increase the likelihood of the "wants to leave for first-team football" thing, or to add, for example, a "wants to play more regularly to earn an international call-up" or "wants to leave to earn a World Cup call-up" in a major championship year, especially for those players recently dropped. Also, in the summer, similar to the "too many players in my position" thing, a player could approach a manager with a concern or seeking a promise about game time in such a year.

Might there also be some way to incorporate this tendency to seek loan moves for out of favour players - even those without concerns, unhappiness or transfer requests - into a club's transfer strategy, as seems to be the case at Inter Milan? As is often the case with bigger clubs interesting your players, it could be that clubs offering a loan move and regular football in a World Cup year would cause the player unrest.

For me, this would seem an ideal addition to the frequent - and often otherwise useless - news articles about international selection. Something along the lines of: "Out of favour [player] has not been picked by [international manager] since [date], and will surely be concerned that he may now miss out on the World Cup unless he can force his way into [club manager]'s plans for [current club]. [Interested club] have been linked with a loan move in recent times and could offer [player] the chance to play his way back into [international manager]'s plans with just [months] to go until the World Cup in [country]."

A long post for quite a minor detail, but I think it'd be a measure that would help to replicate the real-world pressures of a World Cup year, and add to the hype and build-up surrounding a World Cup year, rather than it just occurring at the end of the season as though it's an unspectacular event.

All improvements and suggestions welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived