Football Manager 2018 Review - Completely disappointed by this year's edition

Hello Sega,

I gladly bought FM18 this year as it seemed a much better version than what we previously got, yet I can't help but feel completely disappointed by the current state of the game.

3D Engine. SEGA team, you clearly have access to much more powerful engines. It's 2017 and we're given 1998 graphics. You called the engine a big improvement over the previous version. The improvement is marginal, at best, when it comes to the graphical aspect. Why aren't we getting a proper graphical engine? I would really like to understand the reasoning behind. It's 2017 and I can't see a player perform an actual skill move. I can't see a lobbed penalty kick. I can't see an over the wall and down placed free kick. They are all the same, every time, every year. 

3D Engine bugs. We are seeing the same bugs, year after year after year. The same crosses high crosses that almost go in but hit the crossbar or keeper deflects them into corner. The same low crosses that the keeper deflects in the corner, never catches. The same balls that go magically through the defender as though the hitbox was non existant. The same clearances that hit a team mate and rebound into the opponent to get a shot on goal. The same stupid decisions made by AI all the time. The same classic backpass to the goalkeeper that gets intercepted and scored on. Why are you not learning from past experiences? This is happening year after year after year. What's happening in the alpha / beta phase of development? How are these not caught upon? Why are barely getting a decent product after the winter update and that's been the case for years now. Should I honestly wait for winter to buy your product at a reduced price and get a decent experience?

New Features. I'm slightly pleased with this year addition of Dynamics and Scouting Revamp but you still have to step your game up a notch or two. With each year, you're just giving us more and more stats, very little new actual features or mechanics. While understanding the numbers and making them be presented in a user-friendly way is very important, I think this should not be the focus and should be something extra given alongside ACTUAL new features. Like the Dynamics module for instance. We have the same training module for years now which doesn't even begin to resemble how actual players train in real life. Dare I say you're selling us a patched up version of last year and that's happening for a while now. You've also given us pre-match tactical briefing which doesn't do much really. What's the point behind it?

Bugs. I've been facing huge network play bugs. I cannot spectate my friend's matches. Just HOW does a bug like this go past your testing? Literally all you have to do is start up a network game and spectate a match. That's all it takes to find the bug. How does something like this go past your testing? This is a huge issue. Then I start my own match, only to find my screen flickering endlessly and being unable to do anything and having to quit the game. And I haven't even played that much to spot all the bugs. Also before the latest patch when you could actually watch a friend's match, you'd have to enter, then leave the match because the formations would not disappear from the screen and then join again. Really...

I've no idea how long a development cycle for you guys is but you really have to step up your game. I truly think the fact that you have no competition has made you lazy.  Please step up your game, otherwise you will lose loyal customers, myself included.

1 hour ago, Lexis said:

Hello Sega,

3D Engine. SEGA team, you clearly have access to much more powerful engines. It's 2017 and we're given 1998 graphics. You called the engine a big improvement over the previous version. The improvement is marginal, at best, when it comes to the graphical aspect. Why aren't we getting a proper graphical engine? I would really like to understand the reasoning behind. It's 2017 and I can't see a player perform an actual skill move. I can't see a lobbed penalty kick. I can't see an over the wall and down placed free kick. They are all the same, every time, every year.

Cleon said in the Tactics sub forum, that they are working on a completly new engine and that it will probably first be available at the earliest FM2020.

There is not much more they can do with the current engine, it does not support the things of todays football.

My first impression was that the 3D engine or whatever you want to call it was a significant improvement. I've come to a different conclusion since. A number of things continue to look disappointingly unrealistic and I'm not even sure what they actually improved besides altering the look. I think with this franchise you need to be satisfied with marginal improvement year by year. The development is disappointing in my opinion but we all have our reasons why we're playing this game, whenever we bother. Certainly competition would be nice but there is none and sales appear satisfactory. That leaves it up to the drives of the people behind the game, and they appear satisfied. It is what it is. You could say that football really isn't that complex of a game but the thing is members of this forum/community have pointed out things that are realistic but aren't in the game, like different defensive styles, and they have done so for years apparently. Instead the game gets a mezalla or some other delectable breakfast item that may not make sense for you to use in general, and there's your FM18. In my experience it's kind of futile really trying to go after game developers. And I can guarantee you they roll their eyes at threads like this, if they even acknowledge them. It doesn't help that a lot of idiots play games and make threads like this too. I roll eyes myself at some of the threads you'd find on the Overwatch forum for instance.

Archived