Understanding Tactics - Playing 2x Mezzala / Carrilero

Hi, looking for some guidance as we all are.

I've created a solid looking Man Utd team and I think I've got the players to play in a 2-3-3-2 formation which includes 2 Messalas covering a midfield 3.

I have read Cleons and @Rashidi post about playing whats in front, and being more structured, but I'm still struggling to find a balance. I'll post the screenshot of what I'm aiming to play, no PIs just a few TIs

image.thumb.png.a0135f2e17d48cd4ac1b912d73624324.png

To me that looks very balanced. 2 CBs with the Anchor (I have Dier in also) dropping back to help out I think. WBs offering standard width and support. I have 1 CM (a) to join and link Mid and Attack and the 2x Mezzalas to support centrally but drift wide to add cover to the WBs.

2 strikers, 1 deep, 1 running away. Simple football right?

Does this look sensible? I'm at such a loss :D

Cheers all. Happy for this to go off on a tangent if you have something similar :)

5 minutes ago, Mark H said:

and the 2x Mezzalas to support centrally but drift wide to add cover to the WBs.

Personally I don’t think Mezzalas are what you’re after in terms of covering for your wingbacks when they bomb forward, I think the Carrillo role is more suited to that.

Ah, that's a great point. I think my understanding of a Mezzala on support would help cover but they might end up in the attacking wide third of the pitch with a WB leaving me exposed. I like the idea of Carrillo, so might go for that first.... 

Good input. I will play some friendlies with the adjustment. 

From my understanding I think with your current selection of roles & duties you could end up with overloads in wide-areas which isn’t a bad thing, but as you said could leave you exposed to counters down the flanks. 

Give the Carrillo role a go and see how you get on :thup:

Mezzala is the most forward thinking CM role when compared to different roles with the same duty.

You could add a bit of variety by using different roles rather than having both flanks setup the same.

Why have you pushed the FBs up to WB positions?  If those wide center mids don't help enough on the flanks those WBs are going to leave a lot of apace down the flanks. Its not just down to the roles+duties but the attributes to put a shift in and be in the right place.

I like a pretty looking tactic, that's half of it. In my head It should work, but after watching a few games they are being caught out. Might move them deeper but keep the same instruction... I'll let you know

I've changed the outer mids to Carrillo, my WBs to FBs. Need to get my CM(a) more involved in the box next...

In my beta save I've played pretty much this exact formation with Man Utd, but with some adjustments:

• GK: GK-D (Roll it out, distribute to centre-backs)
  • DC: CB-D
  • DC: CB-D
  • WBR: WB-S
  • WBL: WB-S
  • DM: HB-D
  • MC: MZ-S (Shoot Less Often, More Risky Passes, Play Wider)
  • MC: MZ-S (Shoot Less Often, More Risky Passes, Play Wider)
  • AM: T-A
  • SC: AF-A (Roam from Position)
  • SC: CF-S

Control and Fluid. I forget all my TIs but the ones of the ones off the top of my head are:

• Play Narrower
  • Play Offside Trap
  • Much Higher Defensive Line
  • More Direct Passing
  • Pass Into Space
  • Look for Overlap
  • Work Ball Into Box

The idea is that when defending the Half Back drops into the Centrebacks to form a solid back three with the WBs tracking back if required.  In attack, the dual Mezzalas will drift wide into similar positions Inside Forwards would play and the Wing Backs will overlap them.  The two forwards will bomb into the box with the Trequartista behind them to recycle possession if the ball is headed away or cleared. 

It's been very successful so far, I'm into the fourth season and I was the runaway winner in the PL of the previous three seasons (including I believe 31 wins in season 3, I'll post screenshots later) and winning the CL in Season 2.  Lots of high scoring victories including a 9 - 1 defeat of West Ham at Old Trafford in Season 3.

Only blips were losing in the first knockout round of the CL in Seasons 1 and 3 due to poor performances in the away legs of each tie and failing to break down a stubborn Santos in the Club World Championship final in Season 3.  I think the two forward positions need tweaking as they can go missing in some games, as happened in the above three examples.  You usually get really good performances out of the Trequartista though.

See, that sounds quite similar to what I want to achieve, but everything I've read so far goes against it. However, I have noticed you're playing more direct football so that would suit a more attacking game plan. Do you control games / possession well? Are you exposed at the back, because that's all I can see :D

Cheers !

I regularly have the greater share of possession in games, yes.  I generally flick between this and exactly the same tactic but with Mixed passing and Retain Possession ticked.  Usually the More Direct Passing option works best against teams that I'm struggling to break down.  As I said I think the two striker roles need tweaking in my tactic because they can sometimes go missing, but having said that Harry Kane scored around thirty goals in the league in Season 3, I believe.  I think I scored close to 100 goals and conceded less than 20.

The start of season 4 hasnt quite been so rampant because there's been a few changes to the squad and they need time to gel.  Plus, PSG decided to go mad and pay me almost £40m for a 32 year-old Juan Mata whom had been playing in the Trequartista role.

Thanks again Alex, like it a lot. I might add it to my tactics board so I can have a more direct one. All mine are standard/retain possession at the moment.

Be good to see a screenshot, but thanks all the same. I'll keep progress going on this one.

50 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Thanks again Alex, like it a lot. I might add it to my tactics board so I can have a more direct one. All mine are standard/retain possession at the moment.

Be good to see a screenshot, but thanks all the same. I'll keep progress going on this one.

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

3 minutes ago, alexdeanlive said:

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

That sir is bloomin brilliant! Thank you! I'd almost got there with what you said earlier but I've just made some changes and I'm about to face Liverpool in the Community Shield. That will be my last game before I venture out to play real human football :D

Thanks again! I'll let you know how I get on

Archived