The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Zander Diamond - absolute disgrace to football, he had a shocker of a game then tried to crock Naismith.

If Jimmy Calderwood has any respec for himself he'l take the appropriate action.

McCullochs goal was amazy, we had quite a few digs from distance yesterday was good to see!

Wee Naisy looks good too, goos to see us start with 7 Scots :-)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Yeah, hopefully Gow will get a chance in midweek. I would totally freshen up the team to be honest and go with something like

Carroll

Lowing

Webster

Broadfoot

Papac

Faye

Thomson

Burke

Adam

Novo

Gow

Originally posted by Ter:

Yeah, hopefully Gow will get a chance in midweek. I would totally freshen up the team to be honest and go with something like

Carroll

Lowing

Webster

Broadfoot

Papac

Faye

Thomson

Burke

Adam

Novo

Gow

I'd go along with that but I would probably start with Buffel in there somewhere.

Carroll

Lowing

Webster

Broadfoot

Papac

Faye

Thomson

Burke

Adam

Novo

Gow

I'd add fleck from what I read and from what i'm told.

Originally posted by stevethedog:

I've seen far worse tackles than Diamond's there. He just went over the ball a little bit whilst also catching it. A yellow was fair.

All goals were good.

Just went over the ball a little bit? icon_biggrin.gif

Let's be straight here. Diamond set out to injure Naismith - end of. The fact he eventually touched the ball (after he aggressively and maliciously went well over it) doesn't matter.

Poor Diamond had had a bad day. His beloved Hoops had been beaten and wee Naismith had made him look daft on more than one occasion. As such, the lad let his frustration get the better of him and it's exactly that kind of dangerous lunge that should be penalised with a red card.

If Alan Hutton had done the same thing, I'd be saying exactly the same.

I'm just delighted one of Scotland's best footballing prospects isn't lying with a broken leg this morning.

• SI Staff
I'd add fleck from what I read and from what i'm told.

Fleck played the full 80 minutes for Scotland U17s in their 5-1 win last night. It's been good to see him involved in some of the more recent first team squads but I doubt we'll see much of him this season what with the squad depth we currently have.

• SI Staff

A bit of team news for tomorrow...

Ehiogu and Buffel are expected to make their comebacks from injury and Gow to make his debut. Broadfoot and Burke are also set to feature so it's good to see Walter freshening things up for a match we really should win comfortably.

I doubt we'll see much of him this season what with the squad depth we currently have.

A family friend’s grandson signed for Rangers from Celtic after they messed up a few summers ago. His granddad goes to all the junior games and he raves about fleck and he should know he is an ex professional football.

Originally posted by stevethedog:

I've seen far worse tackles than Diamond's there. He just went over the ball a little bit whilst also catching it. A yellow was fair.

All goals were good.

Diamond catching the ball was coincidental.

He went out to intentionally hurt Naismith and should have been sent off. The fact that he wasn't sums up the pathetic refereeing in this country, when you compare Diamond's assault with John Obi Mikel's red card from the weekend (which I thought was the correct decision.)

Fleck is 4/1 to be first goalscorer tonight... icon_biggrin.gif

FWIW, I think the wee man will make his first team debut this season but I doubt he'll really make the breakthrough to be a regular until next season at the earliest.

Hopefully he won't be the only one from that age group to make the step up.

Think we will see Boyd and Naismith start a match? I cant see how that duo would fail to score. I’m sure Naismith would force Boyd to work more, if not Novo would.

In fact Novo & Naismith coming off the bench for the last twenty minutes to run at tired defenders would be a nice option as well……

Originally posted by sav112:

Think we will see Boyd and Naismith start a match? I cant see how that duo would fail to score. I’m sure Naismith would force Boyd to work more, if not Novo would.

In fact Novo & Naismith coming off the bench for the last twenty minutes to run at tired defenders would be a nice option as well……

Such is the beauty of our squad...

Naismith/Boyd would be ideal - Naismith with his movement around the box, Boyd with the predatory instinct. Definately something for Alex McLeish to think about. icon_wink.gif

I was encouraged by Naismith and Cousin though, although my preference would be Naismith and Darcheville at the minute. Cousin and Darcheville offer a lot more movement than Boyd does, which is essential for midfield runners.

Says a lot about the strength of our squad compared to that lot in the East End, that a player who's scored 52 goals in the 2 previous seasons in the SPL is struggling to be better than 4th choice at the moment, which is encouraging.

JCD would have to be my first choice striker right now but GF is 100% correct in saying how exciting it is to have 4 or 5 strikers capable of playing (and scoring goals).

Only slight problem is getting some consistency and understanding up front.

• SI Staff

It's fantastic that this season we are debating who we want to play rather than automatically choosing people because there isn't really anyone else.

Up front we have a wealth of options. For presumably two forward positions we have:

Boyd

Darcheville

Cousin

Naismith

Novo

McCulloch

Gow

Buffel

Not a bad position to be in!

Good thing is that (at this moment in time at least) most of these players can actually play on merit. Other than Gow and Buffel (who will play their part I'm sure), all have contributed this season to a decent level and I'd have no qualms about playing any of them against anyone.

I noted your comment in the Celtc thread about Cousin Ter.

I actually think the same thing is happening with him as did JCD earlier in the season - ie, he's doing a lot of the hard work in the first half allowing others to take advantage in the second. JCD did this in the early games and it wasn't until he came on as a sub his overall game (and confidence) improved.

When Cousin is on the ball, he's a very dangerous player (strong, skilful and imaginative). Unfortunately, he can go missing in games but I'd contend that's because our midfield have struggled for periods as opposed to him not working hard enough.

What I would say is that he does look very much like a confidence player. I reckon Ally McCoist will have to spend a lot of time keeping his head up to ensure we get the best out of him.

The big problem though, as Wlater has pointed out, is keeping all those players happy. At the moment we seem to have a great squad spirit, you can see it through everything the players do that they are working for each other and that they are loving their game. Thats half the battle.

Having someone like Ally McCoist is a fantastic bonus, he is the ultimate motivator especially for the forwards. Sure, the team is far from perfect but it sure is nice to watch a bunch of players who actually seem to care what they are doing for a change. And have the skill to do it.

If that team is true, while I would have preferred Ferguson (or Thomson/Hemdani) to play, we should have more than enough to beat the fifers...

As long as we give the game the required respect and the players give the necessary commitment and hard work, hopefully some of the fringe players can stake a claim to be more involved.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by jimbo22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djmac174:

Good to see Gow getting a game, think he's been pretty unfortunate so far.

I dont get the hype over Gow. A very average footballer, IMO, we have better players in the squad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From reports as to what he's like off the pitch (teetotal, obsessive about going to the gym), he's got the right attitude about playing for Rangers and people would love to see him succeed.

Besides, he's been through a hard time personally - I think 2 of his close relatives have died since he signed for us.

Originally posted by GingerFurball:

From reports as to what he's like off the pitch (teetotal, obsessive about going to the gym), he's got the right attitude about playing for Rangers and people would love to see him succeed.

Besides, he's been through a hard time personally - I think 2 of his close relatives have died since he signed for us.

even so, he's not as good as the hype being built up about him. He's ab average SPL footballer

Originally posted by FrazT:

Average footballers appear average in average teams sometimes- lets give the boy a chance to see what he can do with better players around him.

I just dont see it personally. Although i wont go against the lad like some of our fans are doing with Whittaker/Thomson

Archived