Pre match tactical advice

HI, had a look around but couldn't find any info so I'll ask

What exactly does it mean when your coach recomends "Increase defend duties" then the box next to it says "4-5 defend duties sensible for control mentality" ? I don't understand what I'm supposed to increase or lower in the defence setup. Is it the defensive line or how players close down etc... It's a little confusing as there are no settings that require changing numbers

Any help would be great as I'm trying to understand more about tactics on this years game

....Sorry I've posted this in the wrong forum can a mod move it to the correct place please so I can hopefully get some advice.

Thanks

10 hours ago, cruyff14 said:

What exactly does it mean when your coach recomends "Increase defend duties" then the box next to it says "4-5 defend duties sensible for control mentality" ? I don't understand what I'm supposed to increase or lower in the defence setup.

It means exactly that? You have too few Defend duties and the recommendation (in your example) is either 4 or 5 Defend duties in a tactic using a Control Mentality.

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It means exactly that? You have too few Defend duties and the recommendation (in your example) is either 4 or 5 Defend duties in a tactic using a Control Mentality.

For a moderator that was a pretty unhelpful response. He/She wants to know what/where they are.

I've only had FM17 for a day now, so i'm not sure, but I THINK it means on the screen when you're looking at your tactic, if you click on the "Position Role Duty" box it lets you select many variants on their position with roles and duties. The tactic probably has a lot of players with support or attack duties, find and change some appropriate ones to defend IF you trust your assistant managers recommendations :)

It's not referring to defensive line or closing down or anything like that.

Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Slaxi said:

For a moderator that was a pretty unhelpful response. He/She wants to know what/where they are.

I've only had FM17 for a day now, so i'm not sure, but I THINK it means on the screen when you're looking at your tactic, if you click on the "Position Role Duty" box it lets you select many variants on their position with roles and duties. The tactic probably has a lot of players with support or attack duties, find and change some appropriate ones to defend IF you trust your assistant managers recommendations :)

It's not referring to defensive line or closing down or anything like that.

Good luck.

There wasn't much more to say. He didn't understand what to increase, but it is just what it says - the number of Defend duties needs to be either 4 or 5.

13 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I spent the first half of the first season following this advice; then I decided to ignore it and my results improved immensely!

Your assistent want your job haha.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2016 at 00:08, HUNT3R said:

This response didn't help me understand, but I think I finally figured it out from reading a Reddit topic on the subject. You mean that, the defenders need to have 4-5 different defend duties? Okay, that makes more sense as they all four currently have defend duties (all four of them); it's just that they have two different ones (one for the left and right defenders and one for the two central).

Well, I may have to try that out. I'm nearly done with my first season and had always had my four defenders play two different roles, not four. We're doing pretty well, however (second place).

1 hour ago, USASoundersFan said:

This response didn't help me understand, but I think I finally figured it out from reading a Reddit topic on the subject. You mean that, the defenders need to have 4-5 different defend duties? Okay, that makes more sense as they all four currently have defend duties (all four of them); it's just that they have two different ones (one for the left and right defenders and one for the two central).

Well, I may have to try that out. I'm nearly done with my first season and had always had my four defenders play two different roles, not four. We're doing pretty well, however (second place).

All it means is that it recommends you have 4-5 players on defend duty in your side. That's it. Not types of defend duty, just players on defend duty of some sort. It can be defenders, strikers, midfielders, whatever. Total number of players on that duty.  It isn't that complex.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that does appear super-simple as soon as the light bulb goes off (which it just did). However, before that happens, it can be confusing.

Follow-up question - does the goalkeeper count as far as this goes? Specifically, my assistant manager is recommending "3-4 defend duties," and two of my defenders have defend duty (the other two are stoppers), but my goalkeeper is also "defend" (he's not a sweeper keeper with a duty other than defend). Or is my assistant manager referring to my 10 outfield players when he says, "3-4 defend duties"?

10 minutes ago, USASoundersFan said:

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that does appear super-simple as soon as the light bulb goes off (which it just did). However, before that happens, it can be confusing.

Follow-up question - does the goalkeeper count as far as this goes? Specifically, my assistant manager is recommending "3-4 defend duties," and two of my defenders have defend duty (the other two are stoppers), but my goalkeeper is also "defend" (he's not a sweeper keeper with a duty other than defend). Or is my assistant manager referring to my 10 outfield players when he says, "3-4 defend duties"?

Goalkeeper doesn't count, and to be honest, I wouldn't pay attention to that advice anyway. Have as many or few of the different types of duties as you want to get your team to the play the way you want.

Archived