sg-dynamo-dresden-vector-logo.png

I have one word for our form so far: spectacular

Bundesliga

1d2db5272e9b5f3d9eee625f6b16a1ce.png

DFB Pokal

a873896dba4bfe0087f3e4a27e5cc4eb.png

Europa League

adc05db1e4319db55c386c7c8dc943d9.png

some great performances all-round, only marred by a very very painful loss to RBL away as well as our 5-0 meltdown at the Allianz arena. If not for Hoffman's silly red card, we might have been able to get a more dignifying result in the second match. Can't fault him for anything other than that, though, he has been our stand-out performer so far. 

We finished top of the group in Europa League and will now face Panathinaikos for the first knockout round in what should be an interesting couple of matches.

League Table in December

4768059b7967b5b24350cf2ea53d77a7.png

Tactics

It seems I've finally found that tactical tick-tack that was missing last season,

and while we're not free-scoring, we're very good at making use of our best attributes as a team: strength, teamwork and work-rate

33cb7f020940c9c3df2e9193f1347d8c.png

so the idea would be a system that gets the team to play a patient and balanced type of football. our best attributes as a team enable us to be comfortable absorbing the pressure and sitting relatively deep. our horrible overall first touch and passing don't really allow us to play a quick passing football, so, instead we have to rely on the brilliance of our wingers (Hoffman, Stefaniak) while the responsibility of playmaking and coming up with creative ideas is placed on our WP who cuts inside from the left (Langer).

A flexible team shape means the players will focus more on their specific duties so it would only make sense that the only two technical players in the team - Langer and Kluge have the responsibility of creating play. Kluge's role has been changed to AM and now he contributes a lot more defensively as he has improved his physicals and workrate over the last few years. The PI ensure he still makes his mark offensively and while I'm still yet to find the perfect way to play him, so far I'm really pleased with how he's faring.

815092f3476e352a88fedeb072f1b09e.png

Youth development

Christopher Buck(youth2016) is having his break-through season after being moved to the first team squad from the U19's. With those attributes for team-work and work-rate, he personifies the current Dresden team, and with 16 appearances at just 17 years of age, which counted some impressively responsible defensive displays, the fans are buzzing at the potential of this kid

a472c5d9092cd5711cecf94611c90bcf.jpg

Heiko Beuers(youth2017) has gone through a very successful tutoring spell with Stefan Kiesling and has now adopted a professional personality as well as improving his mental attributes. Currently playing for the U19's, Heiko is still ineligible to feature for the first team due to being under 17 years of age. Looking forward to his promotion to the first team squad next year.

8873df72fab7994481a0a4dadba869ff.jpg

Club developments

We've had the yearly elections and this time, there has been a take-over at the club, with new president, Malte Gadow taking the seat. While he wasn't very enthusiastic about providing the club with additional investment he accepted another upgrade on the current senior facillites. I'm yet to convince him about upgrading the youth ones as well.

f5f32c3b9fb39e1ccfa44b2e663566bc.png36b9bd147533fa5e3b844259f484ff1b.png

Facilities

abad70998f6053ffba6a07b889f6486b.png

Finances

apparently there's a good reason the previous board was replaced. Our finances aren't looking too good and to be fair, I have no idea what was going through their head when they've decided to offer me a 55 Million transfer budget. How lucky for them that I'm not some careless journeyman and I've only spent about 8 Million from that money. I'm even going to ask the board to reduce the transfer budget, as I would rather have the club in a healthy financial position that allows us to develop the infrastructure of the club rather than splashing on signings

8e07366d5c30d0b63b62d7282a7da79d.png

Halfway through the season, some really exciting times for Dynamo Dresden fans, with the club still involved in all competitions and with a real shot at winning some silverware this season if performances continue in the same fashion

February 2020 - youth intake

what an intake by mr Tanner.... wow, Petz looks absolutely fantastic, and so do Battig and Schosler. Apart from yet another promising striker, we get some interesting prospects at midfield and centre-back positions as well, which is encouraging for our long-term squad building.

d9cb45a1f15033d957d8b2230acbe1bf.png

Sebastian Battig                                                                                                   Manuel Petz

497ece5d29eac6eeaaca8f6e0e4fabfd.png   9a55f1a51ab4673f36a3631691fab463.jpg

March 2020 - Karma Police

After a couple of great performances against Panathinaikos we managed to qualify to the next round with a resounding 4-2 win on aggregate. Our next opponents are Sporting Lisbon. Here's a brief review of the stuff that can happen if you're enjoying playing for your ex-communist club too much:

Europa League second knock-out round

First Leg:

with the score at 2-2 in the 91st minute we are looking good and compact and are set to snatch a very impressive result away in a match were we are clear outsiders according to the media

what happens next? in the las 5 seconds of the match, Angel Romero dribbles past both our central defenders to score the goal that marks his hat-trick and the scoreline ends at 3-2

ffe1c7008d267d1554c563414d3e6b3d.png

Second Leg

match start really well with us controlling the ball and eventually getting the lead with a great finish from Jakobs. 3-3 on aggregae, at this score we are leading on away goals. Switch to defensive, stay compact, don't waste posession, all perfect until the 91st minute

7 seconds before the final whistle, Mammana picks up the ball in the middle of the pitch makes a 10 meter run and blasts a long shot in the top corner 

e5125b7cfd1a596b492053e580f4017b.png

The squad boards the train to Ludvikovice, a depressing village in Czech Republic, after Dresden boss, Serviu Benes, lost his temper and disciplined the squad with his classic

'two nights of rural Czech clubbing'

Meanwhile, a sly, underage journalist, wearing a Kaiserslautern scarf, probably working as an intern for 'The Kicker',  sneaks into coach B, where the players are still crying,

particularly Willi Orban, who forgot his iphone in Sporting's dressing room in the first leg

Image result for willi orban interview

Willi, how does it feel to get knocked out in such dramatic fashion?

It feels okay, I kind of got used to losing in cup competitions when I was playing for RB Leipzig, so I can't really say I'm surprised.

We've heard you maintained a very intense dialogue with Alvarez Balanta on twitter between the two legs, what was it about?

Errm.....our dialogue was less between two legs and more between two leading center backs in world football, but okay. Yeah, I tried to use my leadership

and determination skills to convince him to look for my iphone 14 (it's 2020) in their dressing room before coming to Dresden, but apparently, 

because of his low concentration he completely forgot and now I'll just wait for the next one before buying a new phone. No one calls me anyway, so I should be fine(*sobs*)

Do you blame your defensive partner, Patrick Bauer, for his absolute blunder in attempting to block Mammana's shot?

I kind of do, yes. I've known Patrick since we were kids, and since he got back from England he's just not the same anymore. Keeps calling me words like 'doughnut' and 'airy fanneh', 

which I'm sure stand for some advanced tactical instructions they've taught him in England, but it would be nice if he could care enough to explain them to me. Plus, after today's game, I doubt they're actually of any use, but anyway, I'll ask him. What's with that scarf, anyway? is that Kaiserslautern?

Yeah

Errm.... you better get off this train, pal, Jakobs is about to come back from the bathroom and he's had his foot broken by one of their players when we last played them. As professional

as he is, he's got a great first touch and finishing technique when applying a side kick to the jaw and I doubt you want your internship to only last three days

Oh, I see him.... s***, ruuun!!

*young reporter runs the entire length of the train (23 coaches), making his exit with a holywood-style 'jump and roll' out of the train, and does incredibly well in dodging a steamy Jakobs, despite the latters' superior acceleration and pace*

4 hours ago, davehibb said:

Haha. Nice interview. ;)

Heart wrenching way to lose to SCP though. But amazing growth of the club so far. KUTGW! :applause:

cheers mate, loving it here in Dresden, so far. I'm not one to be superstitious but I'm pretty sure I've jinxed it a couple of posts above :D

May 2020 - End of season heartbreak

just when it all looked too good to be true, we get a very cold slap to remind us we're still nowhere near good enough to be title contenders. with 3 matches to go till the end of the season we put in two horrible performances against Dortmund and Koln. Why is that hard to take?

e406466acfbe8c9ce9a6b63859403a60.png

probably because of this... we only needed one point! one bloody point

b5c147ceeedf160cb393226c66cab8ed.png

a reasonable season, overall, although the performance in the cups could have been a lot better

825dd7d5250e2b87edee01abb03b65aa.jpg

the usual suspects in the team of the season, with Stefaniak, Langer and Hoffman leading the pack

daa9c8937c9e15a98cab81e845663850.png

Squad

96291e78caa51d66778330a7d7962d85.jpg

club icon Ronny Kluge is desperately trying to leave the club, however I really hope we can change his mind with the promise of CL football next season. He's our best player and our main creative force in an otherwise technically limited team

d9d7eef0676cba28a0e847f501256f20.jpg

cheers guys, a very tough journey so far, but I'm pleased with our overall progression as a club. It would have been a lot easier if I didn't have all these self-inflicted restrictions, but it's a hell of a lot more realistic this way. FM16's transfer system is an absolute joke, you can have a world-class team in 2 or three seasons with pretty much any team with the incredibly un-realistic free agents, regens and players on sale available for peanuts. At the end of the day, that just kills the story for me

Thats why playing in big leagues like Germany is not fun for me. I took over Union Berlin once and managed to get to the quarterfinals in the Champions League in 3 seasons. The price money even in the 2nd division is just absolut bonkers. 

I always read how "easy" FM is, and that even a 2nd or 3rd division team save is so easy. Try playing in small leagues then, Austria for example. Price money for winning the league title is less than a million so your sole income is the price money from international competitions and transfers. 

I was never tempted to start with a big club or take over one in a big league, its just not challenging.

16 minutes ago, Alerion said:

Thats why playing in big leagues like Germany is not fun for me. I took over Union Berlin once and managed to get to the quarterfinals in the Champions League in 3 seasons. The price money even in the 2nd division is just absolut bonkers. 

I always read how "easy" FM is, and that even a 2nd or 3rd division team save is so easy. Try playing in small leagues then, Austria for example. Price money for winning the league title is less than a million so your sole income is the price money from international competitions and transfers. 

I was never tempted to start with a big club or take over one in a big league, its just not challenging.

I never said FM is easy. I was strictly referring to how unrealistic the transfer mechanisms of the game are. Global superstars in their prime leaving clubs on free transfers, insane number of top class players available for ridiculously low prices and no one seems to take an interest and so on. 

And yes, my next save will be something far more challenging, something that I've been wanting to do for years, and it will involve a league that I'm sure doesn't even give prize money for winning competitions ;) 

I have to take the blame for not being focused enough on this journey with Dresden, I believe the team could have performed much better had I been less sloppy due to my exploits in the Stuttgart career. I had initially started this career at a point where I didn't find any excitement in the Stuttgart save and thought this could be a breath of fresh air. Surprisingly, the boredom went straight to feverish excitement in Stuttgart, and Dynamo was left on the second shelf. With both stories sharing a similar concept, with increasingly less spare time on my hands and with FM17 already out, I'm finding it really hard to find the necessary motivation to continue this journey. A lot of work had been done at this club: a fantastic foundation for developing youth has been established, a new stadium will be ready to move into by the end of the season and an amazing Fantastic 4 youngsters have been grown from their youth days to now carry the team on their shoulders.

I will hold a 'mini interview' :D with whoever feels like taking the club forward from here if there are any volunteers

Archived