[FM15] noikeee goes East - A CSKA Sofia career(s?)

noikeee

24 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Your early struggles much seem like a long time ago.

Nah, Alegrovski's a better manager than Alegrov. :D

The truth is I think the current 4-2-3-1 tactics are clearly stronger than anything I played previously, and our squad has become immensely better over the years too. If I look at the early season reviews, our key players then are the guys that are barely good enough to be backups now and I'm getting rid of - Kukoc, Prychynenko...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided I'll change my style of updates from here on - with Bulgarian competitions not looking all that interesting anymore, and with this all becoming a bit of a chore, I think it makes more sense to do just 2 instead of 4 updates per season - I'm paying special attention to any extra European fixtures anyway. So expect the next update when we get into the winter break of next season.

For now I think I'll continue with the long squad reviews at the end of the year too, but if I feel it's still too much work I might cut down on those as well.

2 hours ago, LPQR said:

Really enjoyed your overall style and update design so far mate, look forward to the changes :)

I'm not planning to do anything dramatically different really, just 2 updates per season instead of 4.

Meanwhile some bits from pre-season:

fLQFqXS.jpg

Slightly weird that he gets his first cap now, after a rather crappy season, and not last year when he was starting for us regularly. Nevertheless, that's yet another of my youth products that makes the national team, after Ivan Papazov, Kiril Penkov, Todor Dimitrov, and Emilian Koev who's now picked up a few caps after moving to Partizan.

Also, Bulgaria has surprisingly won a competition:

k2HSsHq.jpg

I've looked at the team and I don't think it's actually that talented, but nevertheless, it's a good sign. I'd be open to managing Bulgaria in the future alongside CSKA, it's a shame their manager remains from the beginning of the game and has never been sacked! There was a handful of CSKA players in this side, Veselin Kirilov picked up the Player of the Tournament award, and Iliya Dimitrov was the best goalie.

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

I've decided I'll change my style of updates from here on - with Bulgarian competitions not looking all that interesting anymore, and with this all becoming a bit of a chore, I think it makes more sense to do just 2 instead of 4 updates per season

I think that's a good plan.

Really impressed by your Bulgarian talent development! The years of Stoichkov are long gone now and this country hasn't really been a fountain of youth talent of late so it's great to see the results given the resources you're working with

Really looking good with the talents. Winning tournaments like that is a good sign for the future. If you'd manage to land the managerial role for Bulgaria it could maybe get really exciting internationally too. 

This is the first thread i've read properly since coming back on here a few days ago and got to say enjoying it so far, there seems a much improved progress since you respawned and you did well making the Europa semi and CL quarter in recent seasons :thup: It's been that good it's inspired me to go back to my Iron Curtain save :cool:

10 hours ago, LPQR said:

Really impressed by your Bulgarian talent development! The years of Stoichkov are long gone now and this country hasn't really been a fountain of youth talent of late so it's great to see the results given the resources you're working with

2 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Really looking good with the talents. Winning tournaments like that is a good sign for the future. If you'd manage to land the managerial role for Bulgaria it could maybe get really exciting internationally too. 

I wish we were producing Stoichkovs and Balakovs! Tbh from the screenshot (I didn't look more into it) it seems the opposition for this tournament was just Slovenia and Ireland, so no wonder Bulgaria managed to win it. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

This is the first thread i've read properly since coming back on here a few days ago and got to say enjoying it so far, there seems a much improved progress since you respawned and you did well making the Europa semi and CL quarter in recent seasons :thup: It's been that good it's inspired me to go back to my Iron Curtain save :cool:

Excellent. Welcome back, comrade.

2023/2024 - Mid-season update - CSKA Sofia

GvLXgQv.png

Transfers

Unable to identify many suitable transfer targets, as the market for Eastern Bloc players for our level is becoming limited, I decided to hold on to most of our cash and invested in a single first team player - Serbian defensive midfielder Predrag Milosevic, who arrived for 3.4M€. To free up space for him, we sold Alexey Legchilin who leaves us after 5 solid years for the club.

I however continue to pick up promising players and went for Bosnian striker Bojan Basta, Czech winger David Kral, and Kazakh left-back Viktor Vavilin.

Superkupa

DTugQLt.jpg

In the supercup this season it was a bit of a routine easy win over Botev, although we did leave our final 2 goals to injury time - CSKA RETAIN THE BULGARIAN SUPERCUP!

Kupa Bulgaria

jyVuo8X.jpg

A crappy single goal win put us past Sozopol, and we found ourselves losing away to Pirin in the following round as I fielded a bunch of youngsters in rather cocky fashion. It was still enough to turn the match around and win 4-1, and more than enough to survive an insignificant 2nd leg defeat as I insisted in the youngsters. Botev Plovdiv are the quarter-final opponents.

"A" PFG

uGDzS6W.jpg

Honestly this has become ridiculously easy and not that interesting anymore. We lost points already in the 2nd fixture of the season vs Botev, but it would take us up until mid-October to lose points again, with a shock 3-1 defeat at Beroe, which ruined any hopes of an undefeated season. Beyond that? All wins. The highlights were a 4-0 away win in the derby with Levski, a 5-0 away at Haskovo, and a 7-1 demolition of Slavia. Did I mention in the vast majority of these matches I fielded all my backups, saving all the good players for Europe? It's still good enough to have a 12 points lead by the winter break.

oxQdGiu.jpg

Champions League

f1wTUc1.jpg

We started the playoffs earlier this season, due to Bulgaria's plummetting rankings, but I reckoned this shouldn't be much of a problem - indeed Buducnost proved very easy opposition as we went to Montenegro to beat them 5-0, and then added another 3 on the return leg.

Steaua for the 3rd qualifying round was a bit of a bad draw as they were one of the strongest possible opponents, but we were still certainly favourites. The trip to Bucharest proved harder than expected, they took a first half lead and it took us a long time to draw. It still looked good with the away goal to bring over to Sofia, but I watched stunned as Steaua scored twice in their first two chances, and were up 0-2 by minute 21. We now suddenly needed 3 goals to turn this tie around. Kasunic scored just before the break, but despite all our attempts throughout the 2nd half, we could do no more. It was a shock defeat to kick us out of the Champions League before even the Playoffs, to great financial loss.

Europa League

2qgzvNF.jpg

With our pride hurt, we entered Europa League, still in the Playoffs. We had faced Senica before in previous years and beat them easily, and we repeated the feat here again, with 3-1 and 3-0 wins.

But the team still hadn't had enough and REALLY wanted to avenge the failings in the Champions League. Faced with a relatively easy group of Spartak Moscow, Kobenhavn, and PAS Giannina, we started on absurd form, to win in Russia 4-0, repeat a 4-0 at home vs Kobenhavn, smash the Greeks by a remarkable 6-0, and win big in Greece again, 4-1. Qualified after 4 matches, with a goal difference of 18-1. This was remarkable but perhaps the team slept a little on these achievements and we could get no more than 2 draws to finish the groups, even though I fielded my strongest side for both matches.

In the next round, we face Trabzonspor, and if we go through, the winner of Stromsgodset-Ajax.

bmUjLQ0.jpg

Summary

The shock early elimination from the Champions League really did put a massive downer into this whole season. Unable to improve for this season on the competition this challenge is all about, with not-so-challenging-anymore domestic trophies, and with few new exciting signings, I've got to admit this hasn't been my favourite season and I've been trying to play it rather quickly. Still, it's a golden opportunity to take on the Europa League and try to make it a lenghty run on it again, whilst also helping out as much as possible the rankings for Bulgaria.

7 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Shame about the CL but you have some winnable games in the Europa knockouts so hopefully you'll do well there as it's safe to say the league is done and dusted if your reserves are hammering most teams :D 

Tbh my reserve 11 is almost as good as my starting 11, some are pretty interchangeable and it's hard to figure out who's the better player.

4 hours ago, facman said:

Ending up in the Europa League could be a blessing in disguise. It's easier to win and silverware is always nice :)

That's what I'm thinking - if we could get to the semi-finals 3 years ago there's no reason we can't win it when we're stronger now. But that's the optimistic view of it, there's a lot of very good teams in this competition we'd need to overcome.

2023/2024 - Youth intake - CSKA Sofia

GvLXgQv.png

tTqtUHA.jpg

Here's a decent but unspectacular generation.

Vasil Tsvetanov - I've rarely produced defenders whose stats are as well balanced as this guy, everything I need is in the 8-13 range, but I don't see huge talent.

Hristo Zhelev - Yet another keeper. Ffs. Could be a good one, though.

Dimitar Yakimov - Very rarely do the low potential players I flag up as interesting, actually come good, but I think this guy's attributes look like an even better centre-back than Tsvetanov.

2023/2024 Europa League - quarter-finals, 1st leg

After we shoved aside Trabzonspor and Ajax relatively easy, our reward is a 3rd presence in 4 years in a continental quarter-final, vs Schalke who are 5th in the Bundesliga at the moment. The first leg is in Germany.

cEy7OGV.jpg

From the beginning it was clear this was going to be a tough day - Schalke were superior and quickly translated their edge into a goal from a corner, and another from a long shot, with our DM Ionut Serban on very uncharacteristic poor form recorded as having made mistakes for both goals. We evened out the match later on, and were extremely unfortunate to not only fail to get the away goal, but also to concede another. Turning this tie around looks impossible, but we'll do our best.

2023/2024 Europa League - quarter-finals, 2nd leg

We enter the pitch in the 2nd leg with a full-strength 11, hoping to at least leave a good image before our likely exit from Europe. Schalke switch from the narrow 4-3-1-2 that served them so well in Germany, to a 4-4-1-1.

0X06rYC.jpg

This was much better. We restricted Schalke to being completely harmless, although despite our upper hand, we struggled to break them down consistently too. We scored first through Czech midfielder Matej Mezlik, and started dreaming when Kasunic got our 2nd midway through the 2nd half. Ultimately we failed to score the 3rd that would level the tie, but we can be proud of our effort in this match.

I would've liked to at least have reached the semi-finals of this competition like we did 3 years ago, but this was still an okay performance overall.

7 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I usually prefer to focus on my own game than post about the wider AI game world, but I found this... interesting. Bloody hell, how can he remain this good at 39?

w12fpix.jpg

amazing, this just shows how much the 'natural fitness' stat matters in the late years of a player's career

2023/2024 - End of season update - CSKA Sofia

GvLXgQv.png

Transfers

There was one extra transfer in January, as I paid a princely sum (3,8M€) to bring in young defensive midfielder Wojciech Jarosz, who might not be ready to fight for a place yet, but whom I rate very highly.

"A" PFG

AzsAhLO.jpg

No big surprises here. We did get a shock defeat vs our closest challengers Ludogorets shortly after coming back from the break, and we only avoided another defeat to them in the 92nd minute, just 2 weeks later, when we faced them again after the league split. But, apart from that, it was win after win after win, and with Ludogorets hitting dismal form in April, we sealed the title when we beat Vereya at home 3-1. CSKA ARE BULGARIAN CHAMPIONS FOR THE 5TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR!

As usual, lots of youngsters got lots of playing time in the remaining 5 matches, which we all won apart from a home draw with Litex. Highlights were a goal on his club debut from youth product Boyko Rumenov, and two goals by 17 year old Vasil Angelov in the final match of the season.

tlTF0e7.jpg

Kupa Bulgaria

sT7bLvq.jpg

In the quarter-finals Botev proved more difficult than expected. We lost the first match (although probably didn't deserve such fate), and after scoring twice in the 2nd leg, there was still a brief moment Botev were ahead on away goals, but we still barged through. The semi-finals vs Slavia were much easier - 4-0 win at home and then a 3-0 away, with an utterly surprising hat-trick by 18 year old winger David Kral.

The cup final was a surprising classic match against our fierce rivals Levski. Their Brazilian striker Patrick was inspired and scored twice within the first 20 minutes. We were up against it, but eventually managed to tie the game in the 86th minute, taking it to extra-time. In extra-time we finally led the match when Milosevic scored our 3rd goal, but Levski weren't over and tied it in the 116th, Patrick making it an hat-trick. It would all be decided on penalties. Venson Klicic and Endri Çekiçi missed for us, and we watched bitterly as our rivals lifted the cup.

Europa League

fqNEvhT.jpg

Trabzonspor were surprisingly easy opponents - we made it a 3-0 in Turkey and then another 2-0 win on the return. The tie vs Ajax next was very similar, as again we sealed our fate in the first leg with a superb 3-0 win in Holland. The 2nd leg performance was much more unconvincing, but we had a big safety buffer and still managed to get another point for the coefficients with a 91st minute goal by Kasunic to make it 2-2.

I thought we were well on course for another great run when we were shocked with another 3-0 on the first leg, but this time a defeat not a win, in Gelsenkirchen. Schalke proved too strong and too clinical for us, and despite a valiant effort in the second leg where we nearly tied everything, it wasn't good enough and we exited the competition on the quarter-finals.

Summary

I'm most definitely a little disappointed about this year. Whilst we won the league by a massive margin, and won a ton of matches in Europe in style to gain a lot of points for the coefficients again, what this season will be remembered for will be the early Champions League exit, the cup final loss on penalties, and the Europa League run ending at the quarter-finals, just a little short of our best 3 years ago when we went a round further.

This feels a bit like stagnation for now, we might've reached a temporary ceiling, but slowly we keep on improving even if it doesn't look like much. The question now is for how much longer will this career continue - I've caved in to buying FM17 and I'm guessing the beta should be out within a week. This means I'll almost certainly fall short of my ambitious goal of bringing a Champions League trophy to an all-Eastern-Bloc team, but can we still shock the world of football in the next season?

2023/2024 - Season review - CSKA Sofia

GvLXgQv.png

I'm slightly modifying the format here to make some things clearer and cut short my writing a little.

Coefficients and reputation

This is better now, finally our European runs are starting to impact both the league's reputation and the coefficients. It's a shame the other teams aren't helping as everyone else has been completely useless lately. I wonder how much more do I need to do to overtake Ludogorets in reputation, it's getting ridiculous...

Competition reputation
"A" PFG: 13th in Europe (3/5 stars) (up 4 positions)

Nation club coefficients
Bulgaria: 14th in Europe (26,750 pts) (up 3 positions)

Club reputation
Ludogorets: National (3.5/5 stars) (no change)
CSKA Sofia: National (3.5/5 stars) (no change)
Levski: National (3.5/5 stars) (no change)

Club coefficients
CSKA Sofia: 32nd (62.850) (moved up 18) - this season: Europa League quarter-finals
Ludogorets: 79th (27.349) (moved up 3) - this season: Europa League 3rd qualifying round
Vereya: 168th (13.850) (overtook Litex in the coefficients) - this season: not in Europe

Finances

Lost a little cash this season as we weren't in the Champions League and invested in facilities and in 2 players (Milosevic and Jarosz), but still, we remain in a very healthy financial situation.

Player statistics

xhAcjhU.jpg

Starting eleven

GK: Georgi Kitanov (29, BUL) - 49 apps, 27 clean sheets, 6.97AR
Another very good season at the level we've been used to from him.

DL: Djordje Cvetkovic (22, MNE) - 28 apps, 3 assists, 7.45AR
There was huge competition for this position, to the ridiculous point I had both my left-backs complaining about lack of first team football at the same time, but eventually Cvetkovic took the place from Silvio Anocic. Both were performing to absolutely superb standards!

DC: Artem Dragun (25, BLR) - 30(3) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 7.45AR (Player of the season)
After 2 seasons just on the verge of the first 11, I finally gave the chance to this Belarrussian centre-back and he repaid my confidence with a superb season, relegating youth product and club captain Kiril Penkov to 3rd choice. I'll even go as far as nominating Artem as our player of the season, as I feel he was the most regular out of all of my players.

DC: Ales Kolar (24, CZE) - 31(6) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 7.28AR
As I wanted to promote Artem Dragun to the first 11, I was faced with a choice of dropping either Ales Kolar or Kiril Penkov. I ultimately feel I decided well in retaining the Czech, despite sentimental reasons to pick our youth product. Ales was just that little bit better and continued to perform at the quality level we expect from him.

DR: Andrey Katunchev (22, BUL) - 27 apps, 3 assists, 7.27AR
Strictly speaking, my starting right-back this season was Jakub Valenta as I "promoted" him to the 11 I played in Europe all year. However, I wasn't quite convinced by the Czech youngster's performance, and by the end of the year I came back to trust Katunchev more again, although I'm not 100% sure which of the 2 is the best option.

DM: Ionut Serban (27, ROU) - 26(17) apps, 6 goals, 1 assist, 7.05AR
I'll attribute the steep decline in ratings to the large amount of short substitute appearances I gave him in domestic competitions, as in Europe he continued to perform at a superb level, although I noticed a dip in form later in the season.

MC: Predrag Milosevic (25, SRB) - 25(14) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 6.99AR (New signing)
Another position where it's far from clear who my best option is. I picked up Milosevic at the beginning of the season to sort out my midfielder problems, but he didn't convince 100% and by the end of the year I found myself picking Matej Mezlik ahead of him, although retrospectively I'd say the Serbian did better. Youth product Tsanislav Marinov played a lot here too, but I don't trust him in Europe.

AML: Endri Çekiçi (27, ALB) - 21(10) apps, 12 goals, 12 assists, 7.43AR
An early season decision to try out our youth product Todor Dimitrov in here in Europe didn't go well, and I soon switched back to our trusted Albanian star who put in remarkable performances with 10 assists in the Europa League, despite Dimitrov continuing to dazzle in the domestic competitions with a total of 15 goals and 11 assists.

AMC: Georgi Milanov (32, BUL) - 22(11) apps, 11 goals, 15 assists, 7.36AR
I'm starting to wonder how am I going to replace him when age finally catches up with him, as he continues to be a monster in the European competitions - it was another superb season for him in there. Shout out to Ghukas Poghosyan too with a 14 goals, 12 assists season (as you can see a lot of our players this year were very prolific, 7 different players reached double figures for goals!).

AMR: Robert Vílceanu (27, ROU) - 30(18) apps, 16 goals, 7 assists, 7.23AR
Last year I thought he'd forgotten how to score, but this season he was immense if you consider he played exclusively on the right-wing and our right-wing role is much more of a creator than a goalscorer - to get 16 goals from this position is amazing.

ST: Igor Kasunic (26, CRO) - 27(13) apps, 18 goals, 14 assists, 7.39AR
His early season scoring rate was just astonishing, but he then had a shocking goal drought that lasted for a few months(!) which ultimately cost him a big dip in ratings and my stamp as player of the season which would've been his otherwise. Another good year too for Vensan Klicic with 14 goals and 15 assists.

Top 3 prospects

DM: Wojciech Jarosz (19, POL) - 8(1) apps, 6.67AR (New signing)
This kid's mental skills are absolutely godly for a 19 year old, and that's what led me to pay a huge fee for him, but his performances have been very underwhelming and I'm starting to wonder whether my staff are onto something by not rating him that high. There's also a few shortcomings here with lack of passing, aggression and physical abilities in general. Still, huge talent.

M/AMR: David Kral (18, CZE) - 5 apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 7.64AR (New signing)
Despite other right-wing prospects like our own youth product Kirilov, and Aurel Albu, this Czech youngster has looked even more exciting when he's been on the pitch, tutoring by Robert Vílceanu served him well too with a huge attribute increase in short time.

AMC, ST: Vasil Angelov (17, BUL) - 5(2) apps, 2 goals, 6.87AR
I think there's enormous talent in here but my staff's evaluation as "inconsistent" (note: not merely "fairly inconsistent") shows quite clearly, as his performances have been mostly poor. Still, his skills are rising at a dramatic rate and I know young players become more consistent as they get more first time football.

Other prospects

Career progress table

Season   League           Cup             Europe                                               Other
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14/15    3rd ("A" PFG)    Finalists       Europa League Playoff       
15/16    2nd ("A" PFG)    Winners         Europa League Playoff                                Bulgarian SC winners
16/17    2nd ("A" PFG)    Winners         Europa League Playoff
17/18    4th ("A" PFG)    Quarter-final   Europa League Playoff 
*** Sacked, respawned as new manager ***
18/19    3rd ("A" PFG)    Quarter-final   Europa League Playoff   
19/20    1st ("A" PFG)    Winners         Europa League 1st KO round
20/21    1st ("A" PFG)    Quarter-final   Champions League Groups, Europa League semi-finals   Bulgarian SC winners 
21/22    1st ("A" PFG)    Winners         Champions League Group Stage
22/23    1st ("A" PFG)    Winners         Champions League quarter-finals                      Bulgarian SC winners
23/24    1st ("A" PFG)    Finalists       ChLg 3rd Qual. round, Europa League quarter-finals   Bulgarian SC winners

And as I complete 10 years in charge of the club, here's a little chart I've been updating with how my starting 11 has evolved over the years. Pink are players from the original team, blue are my signings, green are youth products:

VbG9NiC.png

Valceanu looks pretty rough )

Great decade for CSKA! you can't get around without one or two slightly sub-par seasons though, it always happens to me only to bounce back even stronger afterwards

Angelov looks like he could be an incredible shadow striker, he's tailor-made for that role!

9 hours ago, LPQR said:

Valceanu looks pretty rough )

Great decade for CSKA! you can't get around without one or two slightly sub-par seasons though, it always happens to me only to bounce back even stronger afterwards

Angelov looks like he could be an incredible shadow striker, he's tailor-made for that role!

Indeed, that's why I'm insisting on him, as I use that role and I find it's getting harder to find players that suit it, as regens take over the gameworld.

The problem with him is the severe inconsistency trait he has, and over the years I've realised consistency/inconsistency is an incredible important attribute. For example Todor Dimitrov, he can't quite cut it in Europe because he lacks the edge in talent, but in the league he's absolutely ruthless because he performs at his best every game thanks to his consistency. I'll never get that from a player like Angelov.

17 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Maybe time for one more season before the beta? 

That's the plan, but depending on when the beta is out and depending on how much free time I have this week it might not happen.

But I've kept playing this on a long-term vision as normal (hiring young players and developing them etc), because if I hate FM17 as much as I hated FM16, I might well still come back to this career later!

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

The problem with him is the severe inconsistency trait he has, and over the years I've realised consistency/inconsistency is an incredible important attribute. For example Todor Dimitrov, he can't quite cut it in Europe because he lacks the edge in talent, but in the league he's absolutely ruthless because he performs at his best every game thanks to his consistency. I'll never get that from a player like Angelov.

maybe he could improve that with some tutoring? but good points, I've never thought about it in relation to the length of the competition and the effects of that

25 minutes ago, LPQR said:

maybe he could improve that with some tutoring? but good points, I've never thought about it in relation to the length of the competition and the effects of that

I don't think tutoring helps consistency, I've been tutoring players extensively my whole career to improve their personalities, and I've never noticed consistency improving from it. I know playing more first team games improves it for young players, though. I might loan out Angelov next season due to this.

As for lenght of competition I don't think that makes any difference, what I'm saying is Dimitrov plays at his best everytime - his best isn't good enough for Europe, but it's more than enough to terrorise the weaker Bulgarian defences week after week.

4 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I don't think tutoring helps consistency, I've been tutoring players extensively my whole career to improve their personalities, and I've never noticed consistency improving from it. I know playing more first team games improves it for young players, though. I might loan out Angelov next season due to this.

it's true, it doesn't impact the tutee directly, however I noticed that for example if a player improves his personality, i.e. he becomes a 'professional' or 'very determined' type of player he will train much better and that reflects on his hidden attributes as well. I haven't noticed dramatic improvements on consistency but definitely reasonable ones.

8 minutes ago, noikeee said:

As for lenght of competition I don't think that makes any difference, what I'm saying is Dimitrov plays at his best everytime - his best isn't good enough for Europe, but it's more than enough to terrorise the weaker Bulgarian defences week after week.

worded that the wrong way :) i meant the format of the competition and how player consistency plays a part in that. something I'll keep an eye on in the future for sure

Archived