Booked every game?!

So I'm Middlesboro; it's 2022 and we're in League 1. I've bought Jason Lowe who is very good and is averaging about 7.50 for me. Trouble is his disciplinary issues - he has played 21 league games (20 starts) and been booked 20 times, 2 league cup games and sent off once (2 bookings) and one FA Cup game in which he got booked. I am taking him off within an hour of most games as he is always on a yellow card. He has tackling of 15 and aggression of 18 and has more cards than the rest of my team put together despite being banned for 7 games already this season! His best role is as a ball-winning midfielder and so he is on tackle harder automatically but even so it has just got silly now. Any idea how to make him less of a liability?

discipline him, warn him in private chat about showing club in a bad light?

could also try ignoring the role suitability, as it is obviously affecting his overall performance. you can set a defensive midfielder up with similar instructions, but limit his tackling to try and reign him in a little

Varela gets booked almost every game for me as well and I don't know why. His aggression is 15 so not that high for a defender. Tackling 13 and positioning 12 so decent enough for the Championship.

He's not been sent off yet because I do tell him to calm down but don't feel I should have to do this every single time.

Strangely, when he's been suspended or rotated, the player options I have to replace him are at least that aggressive yet hardly ever get booked.

My tactics don't ask players to get stuck in either so not sure what the issue is.

Varela gets booked almost every game for me as well and I don't know why. His aggression is 15 so not that high for a defender. Tackling 13 and positioning 12 so decent enough for the Championship.

He's not been sent off yet because I do tell him to calm down but don't feel I should have to do this every single time.

Strangely, when he's been suspended or rotated, the player options I have to replace him are at least that aggressive yet hardly ever get booked.

My tactics don't ask players to get stuck in either so not sure what the issue is.

Are the replacements you are picking better at certain things?

Are they better positioned so don't have to make late tackles, or do they have better composure?

Does Varela have a warning in his player report about his attitude leading to poor discipline?

Usually a reason for it, especially if it is definitely not tactical

On the first version of FM16 my club captain was sent off in five consecutive matches he played in. I warned him, fined him, double fined him, then ultimately bombed him out. Morale plummeted, as he was a popular player and very effective BWM. Aggression was high, his PPMs included diving into tackles and argues with officials. I'd made the mistake of instructing him to tackle harder and clise everyone down.

On later saves with the same club l changed his role from BWM with defend duty to DM with defend duty. What l initially thought was just motivating a talismanic Roy Keane figure was actually interpreted by the game as me giving him a licence to kill. From now on, if my midfield hatchet man is the more aggressive type, l will never allocate him the BWM duty, he may be slightly less effective as a basic DM but the discipline issues stop arising.

I had the problem with C.Smalling on my Man.Utd save in 2022. He was club captain at the time and after his third sending off for serious foul play I stripped him of the honour and now he's an angel and hasn't been booked in nearly 20 games

Are the replacements you are picking better at certain things?

Are they better positioned so don't have to make late tackles, or do they have better composure?

Does Varela have a warning in his player report about his attitude leading to poor discipline?

Usually a reason for it, especially if it is definitely not tactical

No, not really. I'm playing as Cardiff and Fabio is his replacement normally; his aggression is 12 (Varela 15), tackling 13 (13), positioning 9 (12), composure 11 (10). I've looked in the editor and Fabio dirtiness is higher than Varela's too.

The coach report only mentions his poor ability in the air as a negative. So does Fabio's but it also says Fabio's competitive streak can get him into trouble.

The reason I returned quickly to this thread is that, after saying Varela's never been sent off for me, in the very next game he was. It followed the usual format of him being booked in the first half and me telling him to calm down. For a change he didn't listen and got himself sent off in the 61st min when we were 2-0 up at Leeds.

We went on to lose 3-2 after giving away 2 penalties and then an injury time winner :(

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6184/vXClyz.png

This is my 2nd save as Cardiff manager and, although this is relatively early in the season on this save, I also signed Varela in my previous save because he was available both times on the cheap and, on paper at least, looks a good prospect.

I had hoped that the issue I had with him in my first save wouldn't be replicated in this one but, for whatever reason, it is.

6 yellows was unusual for us but admit that perhaps because it was a match against a rival, the players were a bit more aggressive than normal.

In rival games, I always gee the players up and tell them to do it for the fans but it's never been much of an issue before.

Varela does have low sportsmanship so perhaps that is part of the problem but it shouldn't be this bad.

Agree the sportsmanship has too much of an effect, I have had regens that would go to ground anywhere near the opposition half. More so if we were a goal or 2 down, but really frustrating when you are well up and a striker picks up 2 cards for diving...

I had never seen a red card for 3 year until I signed I guy called massy, got sent off almost every game. disciplined and everything, agreed, said would change, never did, sold him, never saw a red card again.

Archived