A little TI help

I originally posted this on stupid questions a few days ago but no joy, would really appreciate clarification.

If I want my team to press hard as a unit but don't want my defensive players trying something flash, am I right in thinking a fluid mentality with 'be more disciplined' selected with have the desired effect?

Or am I totally on the wrong page?

You see my dream style of play is press hard and high then quick one touch attacks, I'm happy with the TIs I have selected so far, but my problem is I'm always thinking 'can it be better'.

I originally posted this on stupid questions a few days ago but no joy, would really appreciate clarification.

If I want my team to press hard as a unit but don't want my defensive players trying something flash, am I right in thinking a fluid mentality with 'be more disciplined' selected with have the desired effect?

Or am I totally on the wrong page?

You see my dream style of play is press hard and high then quick one touch attacks, I'm happy with the TIs I have selected so far, but my problem is I'm always thinking 'can it be better'.

Theoretically it would work, but the practise may differ. The additional Fluidity should make for a generally more compact shape, but it comes at the expense of additional Creative Freedom. Be More Disciplined reins in Creative Freedom so you take that edge off.

I can't say for certain how Team Shape affects closing down, I know it increases the closing down bar in the TI and I know how it used to affect the players but i'm not sure with the changes. I'll break down what I do know that should help you.

Closing Down

Think of this as the "point of engagement", how far do teams move up the field before you actively close them down. You may see players engage sooner but this is typically because they see a good chance to pressure the opponent into a mistake or are just delaying for your team to recover into its defensive shape.

How "hard" a player closes down is down to there attributes. I look for Aggression and Work Rate plus Acceleration and Agility to get there quickly, then Strength and Tackling to win it (don't need amazing tackling to close down a CB with poor technique / first touch etc). Telling a player to close down (or engage sooner) doesn't mean they will move faster to the player, just when to do it.

Defensive Line

This is where your line aims to be, either willingly dropping towards it or trying to push up to it. Your line maybe deeper or higher depending on what is happening but this is where they aim to be.

Expression / Freedom

Player "Duty" affects mentality & creative freedom so your Defend duty CB's will always be at the lower end of creative freedom than the rest of your team. On a 1 to 7 scale where 1 is Simple, 4 is Balanced and 7 is Free, your Fluid shape would have Defend duty on 4, Support on 5, Attack on 6 (ignoring any specific role adjustments such as playmakers). I think "Be more Disciplined" knocks things down by 2.

Played a few games tonight with 'Be More Disciplined' selected and noticed some attacks were rather stale so I've decided to remove it.

Now I'm debating about roles, ideally I want my AML to be my top goal scorer, could this be possible with an IF(S) role? I'm not sure, anyone had some success?

Played a few games tonight with 'Be More Disciplined' selected and noticed some attacks were rather stale so I've decided to remove it.

Now I'm debating about roles, ideally I want my AML to be my top goal scorer, could this be possible with an IF(S) role? I'm not sure, anyone had some success?

Had that exact thing in my first season with Truro, Isaac Vassel played AML as a IF, scored 30 goals, wasn't even on pens, so it works. I run the same formation, all be it with different roles.

Only trouble is, I lost him after that season as he thought he was too good for my team (He was) struggled ever since :)

I just completed a season in the English National League, playing almost exclusively a flexible, controlling or counter attacking 4-2-4. I employed a defensive or deep-lying forward to try and pull the defence out of shape, an attacking forward, and 2 attack duty IFs. In a total of 68 appearances, the IF's scored 36 and created 22 between them. Had them on Support for a few games when I was 'tinkering' and they weren't anywhere near as potent a threat.

Archived