scouting regens?

This year I'm sick of manually scouting tons of regens on intake day so I decided to leave it to my scouts to pick up good regens. The problem is they have found hardly any.

In my experience when going through the "Youth Intake" screen in World transfers each team (even lower leagues) will usually have a standout regen. At the very least most BPL teams will have one 3 star prospect in their intake. Why can't my top notch scouting team uncover any of these players?

When I saw that all the youth intakes in Europe were done I cleared all my scout assignments. Then I assigned each scout to their preferred country and only to look at players 15-17 with a minimum potential of 2.5 stars.

I've gotten back only two players of note. Two 4 star prospects from Watford. Now I'm not expecting to get back 200 five star prospects, but why haven't I seen any more of the two Watford players? My scouts are all at least 16 judging potential and have 100% knowledge in whatever country they were assigned to.

Does this method just not really work? Should I be more specific in terms of positions I want or maybe even make minimum potential 3 stars?

You are partly expecting too much, you don't have the right to find every good player in the database. Your scouts find what they find and you take it from there.

Aside from that though I suspect some of your scout assignment settings maybe a little off - Particular the value part that defaults to Automatic which is your current transfer budget. Chances are a lot of potential good young players simply aren't affordable and therefore don't come up in your searches as realistic signings.

I don't know that my expectations are that unreasonable. That one scout found the two Watford prospects, but why is that all they've found? I'm not saying I should be able to send a few scouts out and get the top 300 prospects in Europe, but I feel like getting back 10-20 three star prospects isn't unrealistic. Meanwhile I've gotten back scores of reports, 99% of which are .5 - 1.5 star prospects. Surely they should find at least 1 or 2 more worthwhile players?

It will take time for your scouts to hear about & assess youth players, when they enter the game they'll have little to no reputation of note therefore until they start making a name for themselves it is less likely that a scout will submit a report as you're reliant on him watching the right match on the right day.

My first suggestion is to assign the scout to only watch matches in youth divisions as that increases the chances of him attending a match that might feature a future star player.

Yea, sorry meant to respond to that. So even as Arsenal with a hefty budget, many of these players will be deemed too expensive? I know that top regens can be exorbitantly expensive, but would have thought that they'll still show up. Especially since even with extremely expensive regens their "sticker price" will usually be only a couple million max.

It will take time for your scouts to hear about & assess youth players, when they enter the game they'll have little to no reputation of note therefore until they start making a name for themselves it is less likely that a scout will submit a report as you're reliant on him watching the right match on the right day.

My first suggestion is to assign the scout to only watch matches in youth divisions as that increases the chances of him attending a match that might feature a future star player.

Ok I'll give that a try. I've also noticed with regens an initial 4-5 star potential player can very quickly be downgraded to 3 stars or less with additional scouting. I suppose when so little is known about the player the ratings are more varied and subject to change?

When I do the scout assignment is there an option to only scout the youth divisions in that country?

Also it sounds like the best method of scouting regens is still going in and looking yourself?

Yea, sorry meant to respond to that. So even as Arsenal with a hefty budget, many of these players will be deemed too expensive? I know that top regens can be exorbitantly expensive, but would have thought that they'll still show up. Especially since even with extremely expensive regens their "sticker price" will usually be only a couple million max.

How much budget have you got when the scouting is happening though?

Also if the club don't want to sell a younger player would still be seen as outside the boundaries of the assignment irrelevant of his value.

Barside also makes a good point, it takes time & games for scouts to spot players.

Overall though if the setting are right as Arsenal I would expect more than a couple to show up.

How much budget have you got when the scouting is happening though?

Also if the club don't want to sell a younger player would still be seen as outside the boundaries of the assignment irrelevant of his value.

Barside also makes a good point, it takes time & games for scouts to spot players.

Overall though if the setting are right as Arsenal I would expect more than a couple to show up.

Don't rememeber exactly what my budget was at the time of the assignments. It would have been at least 30 mill in the transfer budget and at least 300K spare in the wage budget.

Maybe I'll restart the assignments monthly after the intakes have happened. Would that make a difference since it keeps starting over once some of the regens have had a few youth games?

Ok I'll give that a try. I've also noticed with regens an initial 4-5 star potential player can very quickly be downgraded to 3 stars or less with additional scouting. I suppose when so little is known about the player the ratings are more varied and subject to change?

When I do the scout assignment is there an option to only scout the youth divisions in that country?

Also it sounds like the best method of scouting regens is still going in and looking yourself?

When creating the assignment select scout competition & select the appropriate youth league rather than scout nation.

If you want immediate results & a significant advantage over the AI clubs then manually assigning newgens to your scouting pool is the most effective method.

However, as I remember, with 10 odd scouts, If I just selected all players on the youth intake list and selected 'get scout report', I would get all reports(~300) within a week

That's what I used to do, but found it too annoying. It's a lot more than 300 too if you count most of the major countries. I wanted to see if it's something the scouts can handle on their own.

And just as an update I'm now starting to get more quality regens from my scouts. Most of the 3 star plus players they're finding are 17-18 so that must be what Barside said. They're only now gaining reputation so the scouts are picking them out. Very realistic actually.

Barside can i get some advice pls, I am a top 4 team(everton) 5 years in and rich and only want scout reports on genuine potential players who can break it into first team (im very realistic on this also)

I have 21 scouts so I have them assigned to all under 18' leagues across england, france, italy, brazil, spain and portugal (they are active playable leagues) then the rest assigned rest per available region globally.

So where im looking for advice, When setting assignments for scouts, I have a age range of 15-18 , so what recommendation would you have for the "current" + "potential" ability.

currently im current ability 1.5 star and potential ability 4 star.

Your expectations are unrealistic, when scouting for youngsters you have to accept that the majority will be under or over rated & with a greater margin of error so finding genuine potential is & should be the toughest trick to pull off.

Best option would be to set lower star rating requirements on a few of your assignments & to not rule out a player based on their perceived potential being too low. Also consider their current attributes, how balanced they are & how far the really important attributes are from being good enough in the position they would play after a few years of development.

I've noticed that i could find a lot of 5 star potential regens with my scouts even after scouting a player for 3 months. Then when they signed and came to the club a lot of them were not 5 star. Really cool!! In fm 15 you could be sure he would be at least 5 star.

So now im not only looking at the star rating but also to individual stats and make an assessment whether i can 'see' him make it. I also looks at statistics.

Its a lot more difficult to find those hidden gems, but a lot more fullfilling when you finally do!

Where is this youth intake list?

On the top bar of FM you'll see the globe icon. Click on that and in the dropdown it gives you choose whichever country you're interested in. Once you've selected a country leave the dropdown and on the main Country screen you'll see a tab called Transfers. Once in there choose the little dropdown from :p

So if you're at say June in the game and want to look at the England youth intake, you'd need to click back through to get to March (when the intake usually is).

Sorry, screenshot would've been much easier, but I'm at work right now :p

Archived