All regen fullbacks have poor crossing attributes

I've wondered this for a while and now I've decided to see if it's only in my games where regen full backs (I'm currently in year 2022) cannot cross a ball very well and with David Alaba seemingly the only fullback who can cross a ball as a fullback in my game I'm wondering if this is a bug or a balance choice by Si?.

Does anybody else have this in their games or is it just a rare occurrence?

2022 is not far enough to make a fair assessment of newgen ability, you might want to wait another 4 or 5 years & then take another look as that will have give enough development time for the 14-16 year old players who entered the game in 2015 & 2016, even then it will still only be a snapshot.

The best time to make any assessment of player development is once all the real players have hung up their boots.

edit: iirc The Hand of God did a very detailed assessment of newgen development on FM12 or FM13, it shoudl be on teh board somewhere & will give you an idea of the depth that is needed when looking at this area of the game

Depends on your choice of fullbacks tbh.

In my experience newgen fullbacks fall into two categories. The first has a defensive spread of attributes more like a DC, good tackling/marking etc but poor crossing. The second is more of a wide midfielder/attacking fullback, good pace & crossing, lower defensive abilities.

To get one good at both is fairly rare and I find one of the most difficult positions to get on the pitch.

If I want a good attacking type Fullback, I often find myself retraining a defensive minded midfielder so I get a pacey player with good crossing ability.

I start doing this almost immediately since the regen fullbacks are awful for attacking/counterattacking styles. I like to attack the box with lots of crosses and the more options the better.

I feel I can train marking and tackling easier than crossing and pace.

This was from an analysis of FM13. Quite a few things have been added to training (like role-specific training) in addition to the ongoing refinement of the newgen system, so I have no idea how that's affected things for FM14/15.

With fullbacks, the situation was a bit better than I expected. Of course, there was a large increase in the number of standard, defensive fullbacks:

Fullback (Defend)

Important Attributes: Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Concentration, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

All Important Attributes 12+:

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 102 Natural (89 Accomplished) -> 202 Natural (41 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 140 Natural (106 Accomplished) -> 240 Natural (43 Accomplished)

But while there were less supporting fullbacks who were skilled at crossing, the decline wasn't as drastic as I had feared:

Fullback (Support)

Important Attributes: Crossing, Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Concentration, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 69 Natural (34 Accomplished) -> 41 Natural (3 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 79 Natural (23 Accomplished) -> 42 Natural (5 Accomplished)

Unfortunately, when dribbling was added, attacking fullbacks were found to be nearly extinct:

Fullback (Attack)

Important Attributes: Crossing, Dribbling, Marking, Tackling, Anticipation, Concentration, Off the Ball, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 24 Natural (9 Accomplished) -> 1 Natural (0 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 20 Natural (8 Accomplished) -> 1 Natural (1 Accomplished)

All other attributes excluded, there are only 22 natural fullbacks (both DL and DR) with a dribbling of 12 or greater in 2042. In 2012, there were 69.

The results for the DL/DR wingback were similar:

Wingback (Defend)

Important Attributes: Marking, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 106 Natural (69 Accomplished) -> 179 Natural (34 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 139 Natural (83 Accomplished) -> 189 Natural (43 Accomplished)

Wingback (Support)

Important Attributes: Crossing, Marking, Tackling, Decisions, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 75 Natural (29 Accomplished) -> 41 Natural (2 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 79 Natural (20 Accomplished) -> 39 Natural (4 Accomplished)

Wingback (Attacking)

Important Attributes: Crossing, Dribbling, Marking, Tackling, Decisions, Off the Ball, Positioning, Teamwork, Work Rate, Acceleration, Stamina

DL (2012 -> 2042) - 32 Natural (11 Accomplished) -> 1 Natural (0 Accomplished)

DR (2012 -> 2042) - 24 Natural (8 Accomplished) -> 1 Natural (1 Accomplished)

Next: Wingback wingbacks...

Dunno, but it gets on my nerves seeing a centreback with no bravery or a striker who can't head the ball.

Sometimes its justified (the striker) but the centreback... Bah!

Fullbacks I've not had an issue with... Usually the attribute they're missing is Flair and I can work with that. If I have a fullback with awful crossing then they usually get shifted central if their other attributes are up to scratch as they'll usually be faster than most CB's.

Archived