Bought new laptop (better) and my graphic star-rating is down to 3

Hey!

Last night I got home from a business trip only to discover that my gaming laptop was toast. So in the "lack of gaming"-induced panic that followed that revelation I ran to the store and bought a new one.

I got following the specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4:e gen. 4710HQ / 2.5 GHz ( 3.5 GHz )

Memory: 16 GB DDR3

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M - 2 GB GDDR5

HDD: 256gb SSD

My last computer was an i5 with a GeForce GTX 760M and I had full star-rating.

Now I have lag when I push graphics to the max. I've made sure that it's the nVidia card that is running when I play FM and not the intel built-in one.

Anyone had similar experiences and suggestions on how to fix this or is this an issue I need to post in the technical issue forum?

It really all depends on a number of factors:

*Drivers up to date re Nvidia card and other hardware

*Is they too much bloatware going on in the background

*Is the anti-virus software a type that runs in the background but interferes e.g. norton/mcafee

These are just a few thoughts, though the techies will be of more help.

What Kazza says is true... it can be any number of factors...

My first question would be, which i5?

Saying i7's are better than i5's is a bit of a blanket statement and it all depends on the application you are using which each cpu.

Secondly, I'd point you straight to Kazza's second point... new laptops come with so much bloatware these days it could easily be the silly mounts of background processes going on.

Third point would be, the star system isn't anything to worry about really, as it's just basically a snapshot of your system at the moment you start a new game so it could be a simple case of your computer happening to have something running at the same time... more of a worry would be the lag etc...

Thanks for the input!

I always install the computers myself, so currently I have Windows 8.1, Steam, FM2015, Skyrim, Spotify, NOD32(Tried to disable it and run the game as well) and a couple driver programs installed.

I got the latest drivers for the card.

The i5 was a lot worse, I bought that comp 2,5 years ago and it wasn't even top of the line back then. It was actually a pretty crap computer.

Yeah I usually don't look at the star system but when I noticed the lag I also noticed that, and I am 99% sure my last comp was 5 stars.

I also play Skyrim at Ultra High Setting with no lag. So something is a bit off I reckon.

If your hardware has two graphics card just like NVIDIA a hand and Intel on motherboard then you should

-change your graphic card settings

-change power options to get high performance

If the problem persists then try to find a way to disable graphic card on motherboard

The stars for graphics often get it quite wrong. Don't worry about it. The GTX 860M is slightly more capable than the GTX 760M. A tiny bit. Whether you would notice it being any better in practical use though ... I doubt that.

If your hardware has two graphics card just like NVIDIA a hand and Intel on motherboard then you should

-change your graphic card settings

-change power options to get high performance

If the problem persists then try to find a way to disable graphic card on motherboard

I will fiddle with that, thanks for the tip!

The stars for graphics often get it quite wrong. Don't worry about it. The GTX 860M is slightly more capable than the GTX 760M. A tiny bit. Whether you would notice it being any better in practical use though ... I doubt that.

I don't, I just noticed lag and saw that the star rating had decreased as well, thought it might be connected :) Aye, it's not that much better but I do get some serious differences in performance tests anyway.

Then I'd go back to ask what i5 it was...

Other than that, we can't really help as it could be any number of countless reasons, and we can only go on the info you can give i'm afraid :(

You could post your dxdiag for us to look at I guess.

Thanks for the help! I was hoping someone had experienced similar problems and had an obvious fix, I will continue to tinker myself since I'm no novice to computers.

I could post the dxdiag but I can assure you that the specs are more than good enough for FM15. Is there something else that could be gathered from the dxdiag?

Thanks again for the try!

Sure, a dxdiag report will show what drivers you are running, what specs you have and pretty much anything hardware based that might be conflicting with FM .. it's the difference between us talking about what specs you have over the course of an hour like we have been doing and seeing it all in one neat post in the matter of minutes..

Think of it as a brain scan rather than a consultation.

Good luck anyway, hope you find the issue! .:)

We can close this now as I solved the issue.

If someone experience a similar problem do this:

1. Get nVidia Inspector and open it.

2. Click the icon next to "Driver Version".

3. Choose the Football Manager 2015 profile in the list.

4. Click the red X and delete that profile.

5. Go back to nVidia Control Panel and chose the High-Performance NVIDIA Processor for FM15.

6. Done.

Hmm ... I wonder if you can acheive the same thing by opening Nvidia Control Panel, click on "adjust image settings with preview", and then instead of having the default "let the 3d application decide", choose "use my preference emphasizing:" and then set the quality setting you like. "Quality" is recommended. This will mean that your global setting for all 3d applications will use this "one size fits all" setting, meaning that certain settings that you normally can adjust within the 3d app (games etc) will be overridden by some of the settings in this "global" mode. If you don't mind that (I don't - "quality" does what it says) ... then this could be the way to go. So maybe no need to install "nvidia Inspector". Not that it's a bad app, it can be quite useful if you know what you're doing.

Hmm ... I wonder if you can acheive the same thing by opening Nvidia Control Panel, click on "adjust image settings with preview", and then instead of having the default "let the 3d application decide", choose "use my preference emphasizing:" and then set the quality setting you like. "Quality" is recommended. This will mean that your global setting for all 3d applications will use this "one size fits all" setting, meaning that certain settings that you normally can adjust within the 3d app (games etc) will be overridden by some of the settings in this "global" mode. If you don't mind that (I don't - "quality" does what it says) ... then this could be the way to go. So maybe no need to install "nvidia Inspector". Not that it's a bad app, it can be quite useful if you know what you're doing.

I've done that, and usually it works. But this time I just couldn't get FM15 to use the high performance card, something must have messed up in the profile because as soon as I removed it and re-picked the high performance card it started to run smooth as milkshake.

Archived