Capital One Cup

how does everybody go about things in the capital one cup, when playing as a 'big' team.

Im paying no attention to it whatsoever as Man Utd, i never get past the round i enter in, i see it as a pointless trophey IRL and on the game. It slightly annoys that the always expect me to be devasted, there isnt an option close to my actual response.

No matter who my opponent is i wont use any of my main players, ill treat it like a friendly, playing the kids, players lacking match fitness and with low morale, and then when i player a simular team they seem to have an almost full team and i get the occaisanal drumming (a recent 4-1 defeat after extra time against Liverpool comes to mind). which has the obvious morale effect

It depends on the opponent, but generally I will use the early rounds to play squad players/promising youngsters and not really care if I go out. By the quarter/semi if still in I may play some first teamers, but if I have less than a week to my next game I would always rest key players even for the semis (assuming competing in the league not just mid-table).

As a general rule I just put out the weakest possible side that I think should be able to win - possibly giving myself a bigger margin for error once I reach the latter stages of the competition. Playing as Spurs, I'd usually put out a team full of young kids and squad players if I'm against lower league sides, a mix of hot prospects and squad players with two or three first-teamers if I'm away to a Championship side or playing a lower-level Prem side. If I'm away to one of the top sides and don't fancy my chances, I'll just put all squad players out - saving the energy of the first-teamers but not risking the development of the youngsters.

For me i'll use fringe players until i get to the semi final then i'll either use a full strength team or a mix of established players & reserves. The only player who's guaranteed to play in all games in the competition is my reserve keeper!

Its one of those trophies that you don't take seriously until the semi final stage then you think you might as well try and win it. I don't feel the need to try and win a competition my board states isn't important. I'd rather save my players for a competition I'm actually being judged on.

This!! I like it, Hate how it has become a trophy that get ridiculed all the time.

To be fair, when the big teams took it more seriously, there were far less teams in Europe, playing far less games.

Archived