Defensive help with my 4-2-3-1...

Ok so after a few formations and tactics this formation seems to be working well for me, not having any issues creating or scoring chances, however, we are still being torn apart by really simple goals, mainly down the wings or a few through the middle.

s4q2.jpg

The full backs both have sit narrow, ease off tackles and close down less in order to try and stop them being beaten so easily.

The LC - Cover has close down less to try and make sure he stays behind and sweeps up through balls.

The LC - Defend has no specific instructions.

So lets get started, is there anything instantly springing to mind....

Ps Before anyone says it, im well aware this isnt the strongest defensive tactic around :p

The counter strategy starts with a pretty deep defensive line, and then you're dropping deeper and telling 3 of the 4 players in your back row to close down less. That's going to invite a lot of pressure, and with no DM you're also leaving a lot of space between defense and midfield that a good AMC will be able to exploit.

This system leaves large gaps between the winger and full back on each flank, and can leave space between midfield and central defence sometimes too. You can make sure your wide men track back, or play them deeper in MR&L positions if you want the better shape.

I changed them to limited defenders because they constantly gave the ball away or tried ridiculous passes but i have since changed them back. How would i go about making the wide men track back? I tried playing them as MR&L but dont think the formation was as strong going forward...

How would i go about making the wide men track back? I tried playing them as MR&L but dont think the formation was as strong going forward...

You shouldn't notice any perceptible downside in an attacking sense, to having players at ML/R instead of AML/R.

If you really don't want to drop them back a line, then Support Duties and certain Roles can help, but I wholeheartedly recommend experimenting with Wide Midfielder and Defensove Winder Roles. The former, especially, can be tweaked into all sorts of things.

So i tried dropping the wide players back and have been trying this, and to be honest, its not working, im pretty much just gonna give up, there is absolutely no enjoyment in this years fm for me, you need to be some sort of tactical superhuman to even get a decent result.

lq9i.jpg

The other issue is that I have some very good technical midfielder's but they are totally incapable of playing a pass without giving it away or when they receive the ball they always have a horrendous first touch and lose it!

Don't give up yet. I was on the verge of doing the same thing but a bit of logical thinking helped and I am doing ok now albeit with a 451/433.

Can't help too much with either of your formations as I have tried both and failed. IMO the issue with both is that FM this year seems very reliant on some sort of DM or DM's to have any real success. I may be totally wrong but that's my experience. I had a little success with a 4231 but with two DM's and three across the CM strata rather than the AM strata but I couldn't really get it ticking attacking wise although defensively it was pretty sound.

However a couple of points do stick out to me when I look at your formation in post 9.

***Your roles look ok although wing backs are of course far more attacking minded than full backs. On the left is ok because you are playing a WM and a deeper CM but on the left you have an attacking winger AND a wing back. Possibly try a full back on support on that side?

***You are playing a CF. Obviously I can't see what players you have but I suspect a CF should be a really good player, a total all rounder so maybe another role suiting what strikers you have may be an idea?

***Shorter passing and pass into space seem a little conflicting. Maybe try default passing if you want to pass into space or even more direct? If you want shorter passing I personally would lose the pass into space shout.

***You are playing a much higher defensive line and hassling opponents but not playing offside. I use higher line and hassle but also use get stuck in and offside. Doesn't always work especially against quick opponents but as I say you have a very high line without an offside trap. Possibly add that?

Just a few ideas. May be totally wrong though as I am not an expert!

Archived