Have football, will travel - The FM 14 edition

Jason the Yank

Friday, 7 August 2015

Our 21 Aug. match against Limerick is picked for live television coverage. We'll make about $8,000 in TV money from it.

Friday, 7 August 2015

Finn Harps 3-2 Drogheda United (Irish Premier Division)

Wow. A game that had almost everything. Fell behind early thanks to usual problems on set pieces. But Phillip Gorman got to his own rebound in the penalty area to put us back on level terms in the 31st minute. We caught two breaks shortly before halftime, with a Drogheda player seeing a straight red for a late challenge, and then we took the lead off a corner when a Drogheda clearance deflected off their goalkeeper and into the penalty area. But 10-man Drogheda caught us on the break in the 70th minute. Two more incidents followed, with Drogheda's goalkeeper going off with injury in the 77th minute after they'd burned all their substitutions (taking them down to 9 men). Then our captain Damien McNulty saw straight red for a professional foul, a card which the media criticized after the match as being harsh (tbf, it would have been a one-on-one opportunity otherwise; if there's such a thing as a smart red card, that was it). It looked like we would have to settle for the draw, only for Breen to take a free kick to Drogheda's left of their penalty area. It drifted into the area where Adam Clarke headed it on to defender Packie Mailey who found the back of the net. A 93rd minute strike, giving us a win we desperately needed.

Sunday, 9 August, 2015

The FA upholds McNulty's red card. Between the media report after the match, and my assistant's recommendation, I thought we might actually have a chance to get this recinded.

Friday, 14 August, 2015

Finn Harps 0-2 Sligo Rovers (Irish Premier Division)

I looked to park the bus, and we kept Sligo from mounting many serious attacks, but they finally broke through in the 65th and 72nd minutes. Their only 2 shots on target (out of 18 in total).

Friday, 21 August, 2015

Limerick 1-1 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

We were given no chance in this match, which marked Carel Tiofack's return. He clearly wasn't in match fitness, and we trailed at halftime on a McNulty own goal (a header off a corner. If he hadn't got to it, the Limerick attacker he was marking probably would have scored it). A switch to a more attack-minded formation was ordered at halftime, and in the 75th minute Tiofack showed why he's so important to us, when he was able to cross to Gorman in the area for a close-range finish. The backline and Gallagher then were able to turn aside three point-blank attempts by Limerick and we were able to hang on for the draw.

Friday, 28 August 2015

Finn Harps 0-3 Waterford United (Irish Premier Division)

What. The. Hell. Fell behind in the 12th minute when my defense wasn't even in the same postal code as a Waterford attacker in the upper left of our penalty area. I gave the team the hairdryer treatment at halftime, and it didn't work. Caught again on a corner in the 61st minute, although it was credited as an own goal, and caught on the break in the 64th minute.

[b]Irish Premier Division (through 27 of 33 rounds)[/b]
1. Sligo Rovers		50
2. Bohemians		46 (+9)
3. Waterford United	46 (+6)
4. Dundalk		45
5. Shamrock Rovers	40
6. Cork City		39
7. Derry City 		38
8. Limerick		37
9. Athlone Town		32
10.St. Pat's Athletic	28
--------------------------
11.FINN HARPS		27
12.Drogheda United	12

Manager's thoughts

It's time to face facts: We're just not a very good side. Though the month went mostly the way I figured it would, we're back on the outside of safety.

Our defense is clearly not cut out for this level. And probably most of the midfield, as well. Just dumb mistakes all over.

If there's any consolation, it's that we're all but safe from automatic relegation. Of course, the way we're playing, I'd rather not take my chances in the playoff. Especially given our recent cup history of being beaten by First Division sides.

We have 17 days to sort some things out before hosting Athlone. Then it's away trips to Dundalk and Derry, which are unlikely to go well.

Monday, 14 September 2015

Finn Harps 2-1 Athlone Town (Irish Premier Division)

Two pretty desperate teams here. I decided to be aggressive and go hunting for goals. An Athlone defender missed his interception in the 14th minute and that allowed Phillip Gorman in to score a "deftly executed finish." We kept pressing for insurance but couldn't find another goal until Gorman popped up again on 54 minutes after some excellent team play. Things got nervous late when Athlone pulled one back from a counter attack in the 89th minute, and then my AMC Johnny Breen saw straight red in the 90th minute for a poorly timed tackle. A few heart-in-mouth moments followed, but we managed to hang on for the win. The result, coupled with Drogheda's draw against Cork, means Drogheda are relegated.

Friday, 18 September 2015

Dundalk 4-1 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

Totally played off the park. Our problems on set pieces reared their heads again as we conceded twice from corners. Mark Forker managed to pull one back on 72 minutes, but we'd already shipped three by that point. Packie Mailey picked up a second yellow in the 80th minute on what the media felt was a dive; Dundalk proceeded to blast the ensuing free kick straight into the goal. And leave me wondering why my team can never play like this.

Friday, 25 September 2015

Derry City 2-1 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

Five defenders, and still a Derry attacker is able to walk right into the six-yard box. Anyway, we pulled back to level terms in the 35th minute. Derry were knocking on the door all through the second half and finally pushed through in the 87th minute on, what else, a corner.

[b]Irish Premier Division (through 30 of 33 rounds)[/b]
1. Sligo Rovers		57
2. Dundalk		54
3. Waterford United	52
4. Bohemians		48
5. Shamrock Rovers	44
6. Derry City		43
7. Cork City		40
8. Limerick		37
9. Athlone Town		35
10.St. Pat's Athletic	32
11.FINN HARPS		30
R. Drogheda United	14

Manager's thoughts

As bad as all the other months, really. We're still in there, just, but we need to pull our fingers out to stand a chance. It's all in our hands though, as the first match of October is home against St. Pat's. It's a must-win match for us though, as even a draw leaves us 2 points adrift with just 2 to play.

The run-in

[u]FINN HARPS[/u]		[u]St. Pat's Athletic[/u]
2/10 v. St. Pat's		2/10 @ Finn Harps
16/10 @ Cork City		16/10 v. Limerick
23/10 v. Bohemians		23/10 @ Waterford United

Maybe a slight edge to us, as we're home for our game against St. Pat's, then play the 7th and 4th placed teams, whilst St. Pat's have the 8th and 3rd placed teams.

We have 2 of the final 3 games at home, while St. Pat's have only 1 of the last 3 at home.

Home records

Finn Harps 4-3-8 18-31

St. Pat's 2-6-7 15-24

Away records

Finn Harps 4-3-8 21-30

St. Pat's 5-5-5 23-30

Yes, somehow we've managed to go 4-3-8 both home and away, whilst St. Pat's does better away from home than they do at home.

Friday, 2 October 2015

Finn Harps 1-2 St. Pat's Athletic (Irish Premier Division)

Precisely the result we didn't want. Conceded early thanks to more slipshod defending leaving a St. Pat's attack totally unmarked on the corner of the six-yard box. Pulled one back when Tiofack linked up with Gorman for a flying header. But as we were pushing for the win, St. Pat's hit us on the break on 83 minutes and that was it. We're 5 points adrift with just two to play now.

Sunday, 4 October 2015

Our third center back Keith Cowan suffers a sports hernia and will be out 7 weeks to 2 months.

Friday, 9 October 2015

Great. Carel Tiofack suffered damanged knee cartilage in training and will be out 6 to 7 weeks. We're going down now.

Friday, 16 October 2015

Cork City 1-2 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

So having no confidence in our immediate future, I decide to start the rebuilding process by giving Michael Lynch a run in goal. He's been regular callups to the Northern Ireland youth squads. We fell behind early on a pass into the back of the net and it looked like more of the same. But Johnny Breen, playing right wing for the injured Tiofack, was knocked over in the area. PELANTY! And Forker buried the spot kick to get us into halftime on level terms. Shortly after the restart, Coll and Clarke worked a give-and-go from a throw-in deep in Cork territory; Coll crossed into the area where Breen got off a snap header. We're leading! Cork threw numbers forward but were badly off-target with their shots, and we managed to hang on for the three points. Unfortunately, St. Pat's got a late equalizer against Limerick, so we're still 3 points adrift heading into the final game, and needing an 8-goal swing.

Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Striker Carl Walsh suffers a bruised head in training. He's our third choice striker and generally rooted to the subs bench, but it just shows how all of a sudden the injuries have started to pile up.

Friday, 23 October 2015

Finn Harps 1-4 Bohemians (Irish Premier Division)

We actually had the lead in this one. Ciaran Coll took a free kick that Adam Clarke was able to get on the end and we were up after 4 minutes. It should have been 2-0, only for Mark Forker to shoot tamely at the goalkeeper after we'd got numbers forward. Bohemians were back on level terms after 10 minutes, added two more before halftime, and then decided to rub salt in by exposing our set piece frailties again on 90 minutes. They had 4 goals on 4 shots on target. Seriously, WTF?

We're given $44.57K for finishing 11th.

[b]Irish Premier Division - FINAL[/b]
1. Dundalk		61
2. Sligo Rovers		60
3. Waterford United	56
4. Bohemians		54
5. Shamrock Rovers	50
6. Derry City		49
7. Cork City		46
8. Limerick		41
9. Athlone Town		40
10.St. Pat's Athletic	36
11.FINN HARPS		33
12.Drogheda United	14

Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Finn Harps 2-0 Wexford Youths (Premier Division Relegation Playoff, Leg 1)

Fun times, so we get the club that knocked us out of the Senior Challenge Cup in the summer. I decided to go after Wexford, playing quickly, pressing, pushing up. And although they did carve us open a few times, they never seriously tested our goalkeeper (13 shots, but just 2 on target). We were up 2-0 at halftime on goals from Forker and Clarke, and were able to keep the door closed.

Friday, 30 October 2015

Wexford Youths 3-2 Finn Harps (Premier Division Relegation Playoff, Leg 2)

Finn Harps win 4-3 on aggregate

What to do, what to do. Play it tight knowing Wexford need to win by three (since we've kept them without an away goal), or go for the kill? I decided to pull back the wingers, but go direct. Dan Joyce was brought down in the area on 10 minutes. PELANTY! And Mark Forker buried the spot kick. In the 22nd minute, a long ball from Packie Mailey out of the back landed in space where Philip Gorman could run onto it, and after two earlier misses he didn't miss this one. 4-0, and it looks all over, and I can see complacency starting to set into the team. Wexford pulls one back just before halftime to give them a glimmer of hope, then Mailey misses an interception soon after the restart to allow Wexford to equalize from a header from point-blank range. 2-2 in the match, 4-2 in the tie. Wexford gets another point-blank header on 77 minutes (set piece, naturally). 3-2 to Wexford in the match, 4-3 to us in the tie. We weren't seriously going to choke this away, were we? But we managed to regain our composure, and were unlucky not to kill it off when Breen hit the crossbar late. We fended off a few more Wexford attacks, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when the whistle finally blew. We've preserved our status in the top flight for another season.

000162bc-642.jpg

Finn Harps - End of Season Review 2015

A pretty tough season overall, but managed to come through when it mattered most. Defensively frail especially in the second half of the season, but we did give the supporters a great day with an away win in the derby.

Airtricity League of Ireland Premier Division: 11th (won promotion/relegation playoff)

Senior Challenge Cup: Second Round

League Cup: Second Round

The transition up top in our 4-2-3-1 went well, as Phillip Gorman proved more than capable of carrying on from Kevin McHugh.

Our finances aren't terrible, but they are a challenge, which will make it difficult for me to try to fix our problems at the back. We'll need a new centerback as our second season here showed Packie Mailey and Keith Cowan aren't cut out for this level. I plan to release our goalkeeper/assistant manager Kevin Gallagher in order to upgrade there. And our left back Cieran Coll says he's not interested in contract talks with us. When it's said and done, I'm looking at replacing about half of the starting XI, but hey when you finish 11th out of 12, your starting XI probably isn't very good to begin with.

Average Attendance: 450 (down 66)

Top Goalscorer: Phillip Gorman (17)

Most Assists: Carel Tiofack (10)

Highest Average Rating: Phillip Gorman (7.08)

Fans Player of the Season: Phillip Gorman

000162bc-642.jpg

Finn Harps - Season Preview 2016

Board Expectations:

Irish Premier Division: Stay clear of relegation

Senior Challenge Cup: Reach the Third Round

League Cup: Not important

My Expectations:

Irish Premier Division: Avoid relegation

Senior Challenge Cup: Don't crash out to lower-league opposition

League Cup: Don't care

Budgets:

Transfer: $7.43K

Wage: $4,169 per week (currently spending $3,940)

Balance -$61,848

Project Balance: -$246,000

Right, so as you can gather, I'm back for another season. Again considered leaving, but decided I kind of liked the challenge of having to rebuild this team.

21 Nov. 2015

Board offers a new 1-year deal on $475 p.w. No change from my previous deal, but they agree to my requests to consider improving the juniors coaching and finding a parent club.

Board confirms increasing the juniors coaching to Average.

22 Nov. 2015

We're handed a $7K tax bill. Our taxable profits for the past year is listed as $53.4K. I have no idea how we pulled that off.

We announce two new sponsorship deals:

A two-year additional kit sponsor at $28K p.a., up from $23.72K

A one-year main kit sponsor at $29.5K p.a., up from $25.07K

29 Dec. 2015

We accept a loan offer for 19-year-old AML/ML Cathal Coyle from Mervue United.

2 January 2016

We receive $34.29K for Premier Division TV rights

The projected balance doesnt read well! Good luck for the up coming season!

It never does. :D

Biggest issue right now is that it seems the board has made cutbacks to the backroom staff. I can only have an assistant and two additional staff (coaches/physios) at the moment, and I have a goalkeeping coach and physio already. Also appears that the allowed wages have been cut there, as any available scouts won't take a figure that I can afford.

000162bc-642.jpg

Finn Harps FC - Irish Premier Division - Pre-season 2016

Bookies: 150-1

Media: 12th (last)

Once again, we're everyone's favorite for the drop. And with us changing out three of the back five, we'll either tighten up last season's dreadful defending, or they'll never gel and we'll be terrible there again.

Transfers

In

GK - Gary Rogers Age 34. Free transfer. $525 p.w. through 2016

When I decided I wasn't going to bring back Gallagher, I targeted Rogers as a likely replacement. A veteran of the Irish leagues, he moved to Yeovil for the back half of the 2014-15 season, following 3 seasons at Sligo. He managed a 7.14 rating and 3 clean sheets in 9 appearances in the Championship, so I'm hoping returning to the Airtricity league will be an easy move for him. He's a bit poor at communication (4), but excellent at his aerial ability and his reflexes (both 16). I mainly want him to serve as the bridge to Michael Lynch.

DC - Jeff Flood Age 24. Free transfer (Wexford Youths). $120 p.w. through 2017.

The first piece in fixing our defense, we signed him on a pre-contract not long after the season ended. 75 First Division appearances for Wexford over the previous three seasons, he averaged 4.17 tackles per game last season. A little on the slow side (pace 8), and not the greatest at marking (6), but solid enough at positioning (10) and tackling (11), but his strong point is his bravery (13). I'm hopeful this means he's willing to challenge opposing attackers. Best played as a stopper, and I may look to make use of that ability.

DC/DR/MC - Craig Burns Age 23. Free transfer. $350 p.w. through 2017

Fairly pricey there at $350, but is valued at $45K right now. Played the previous three seasons with Shelbourne, notching a 7.25 rating in 28 First Division appearances last season. Potentially a leading Premier Division central defender, I'm looking to use him as the ball-winning midfielder half of our midfield duo. Kid's got some hops to him (jumping reach: 16), which I'm hoping will address some of the issues we had last season defending corners.

DL/ML - Marc Ludden Age 25. Free transfer. $160 p.w. through 2017

Ciaran Coll had no interest in talking contract with us, so I filled the resulting hole at left back with this guy. He's been playing non-league for the past three seasons, so I'm a little worried how he'll actually do. He's more of a First Division player, but he works hard (15).

Out

AML/ML - Cathal Coyle Age 19. Loan, Mervue United

A possible left wing for us (though he still needs a lot of work on his technical skills), he suffered a dislocated shoulder almost immediately after moving to Mervue, and is out 3 to 4 months. So at best he's going to get a half-season in the First Division. I could terminate the loan, but with Mervue picking up his wages (and us breaching the wage budget), we're going to leave him there.

GK - Michael Lynch Age 19. Loan, Longford

Hopefully our goalkeeper of the future, he's been getting regular callups for the Northern Ireland youth teams. A bit of a trial-by-fire for us last season, conceded 8 in 4 league appearances and 4 in 3 cup appearances. I think he has the mental ability to be a good goalkeeper for us, but First Division experience should only help.

DR/DC - Jonathan McFadden Age 18. Loan, Salthill Devon

Doesn't grade out very highly, but maybe a run with a First Division side will reveal some ability we've overlooked. This is the last year of his contract with us, so this loan spell is potentially make-or-break for him, at least as far as being a Finn Harps player.

Released on free transfers

GK - James Gallagher (6.81 rating, conceded 53 in 27 appearances). Later signed by Longford (before the Lynch loan)

MC/MR/AM RC - Mark Forker (6.73 rating, 6 goals and 2 assists in 35 appearances in 2015)

ST/MR - Carl Walshe (6.55 rating, 1 goal in 7 appearances). Later signed by UCD

ML/MR/AMRL - Adam Clarke (6.69 rating, 3 goals and 4 assists in 23 appearances in 2015). We brought him back when Longford poached a left wing I had on trial, and who wanted way too much money to sign with us (including a $1,000 avoid relegation bonus. Which is huge money for us)

ST/AM RLC - Johnny Breen (6.69 rating, 2 goals and 8 assists in 20 appearances in 2015)

MC/DM - Stehen Relihan (6.58 rating in 30 appearances in 2015. Was with us for two years, and both seasons his total number of mistakes were over 100)

DC/DM/MC - Keith Cowan (6.57 rating in 26 appearances last season)

AML/DL/ML - Jonny Carlin (6.47 rating in 15 appearances last season)

AML/ML - Michael Doherty (6.54 rating in 14 appearances last season)

DC - Packie Mailey (6.68 rating in 31 appearances last season). Later signed with Athlone Town

DL/ML - Ciaran Coll (6.75 rating, 3 goals and 5 assists in 31 appearances last season). I wanted to bring him back, but he had no interest in talking contract with us. Still without a club.

Had to really cut down the backroom staff. It's pretty barebones there now, with just an assistant manager, a goalkeeping coach, a head physio, and a U19s coach. Also running with only one scout at the moment, as everybody wants $220/week, and the board will allow only $140.

Otherwise, player movement has been pretty quiet around the division. No big spending sprees like Sligo went on last season, with the only cash deals being players going from here to England. (Cork sold a player to Birmingham for $130K. Freshly promoted UCD sold two players for $78K and $37K to Leicester and Doncaster respectively)

FWIW, here's what we're up against financially as of the start of the season; season ticket sales may not be final:

Sligo Rovers - 5 year stadium sponsorship at $96.59K per season, ends 2021

Athlone Town - 5 year stadium sponsorship at $53.18K per season, ends 2020

(these are the only two stadium sponsorship deals in the division)

Season ticket holders (sorted from most to fewest)

Shamrock Rovers - 2,265 (average $243; $18 per match)

Sligo Rovers - 1,787 (average $291; $22 per match)

Cork City - 1,535 (average $206; $18 per match)

Derry City - 1,389 (average $200; $17 per match)

Limerick - 746 (average $234; $18 per match)

Dundalk - 740 (average $285; $22 per match)

Bohemians - 618 (average $220; $17 per match)

St. Pat's - 590 (average $226; $17 per match)

Waterford - 173 (average $485; $26 per match)

Finn Harps - 145 (average $394; $26 per match)

UCD - 107 (average $105; $16 per match)

Athlone Town - 93 (average $401; $26 per match)

Friday, 26 February, 2016

Finn Harps 0-1 Shamrock Rovers (Irish Premier Division)

Conceded from a corner, again, but this one was because our new goalkeeper Gary Rogers got caught out after he'd punched clear. Another new boy, Craig Burns, got himself sent off for a second yellow in the 72nd minute, and that was it. Could have ended up 3-0, but Rogers pulled off a couple of quality stops to keep us in the match.

Sunday, 28 February, 2016

Announce final season-ticket sales of 144 (down 1)

Two young players have a moan about not getting first-team football. Well, be less crap!

Tuesday, 1 March, 2016

UCD 0-2 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

A deserved victory. We had a chance cleared off the line inside the first minute, but didn't go ahead until the second half when an attempted clearance of our corner was bundled off Phillip Gorman and into the net. Added an insurance goal, again from a corner, thanks to an own goal. As I said, it was a deserved win though: We outpossessed UCD 58-42, and outshot them 11(7)-7(1)

Friday, 4 March, 2016

Finn Harps 0-2 Sligo Rovers (Irish Premier Division)

I experimented with a 4-1-4-1 in this, but a poor header out of the back was duly punished inside 5 minutes. Conceded another one before halftime, and the combination of tired legs and Sligo just being a much side meant that we didn't pose any kind of threat to them.

AMR Carel Tiofack suffered a bruised rib in the match and will be out 11 days to 2 weeks.

Friday, 11 March, 2016

Finn Harps 0-7 Dundalk (Irish Premier Division)

Ugh. I tried the 4-1-4-1 again and just got absolutely crushed. Although three of Dundalk's goals were from free kicks flying straight into the back of the net. Whatever, it's the biggest defeat in Finn Harps' history.

Friday, 18 March, 2016

Limerick 3-1 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

Went ahead after 5 minutes and I thought we were putting an end to our bad run. But then Gorman missed when it was easier to score, and Limerick were back on level terms in the 9th minute. They broke our back line just before halftime, then added an insurance goal in the 81st when we were trying to find an equalizer.

Tuesday, 22 March, 2016

Athlone Town 5-0 Finn Harps (Irish Premier Division)

Unfrigging believable. We hold the ball for 58% of the time, but Athlone still fire 20 shots, 9 of them on target. I tried man-marking their two forwards, only for our defense to be torn to shreds. Incredibly, we've already shipped 18 goals in our first 6 matches, and are on a -15 goal difference. Oh yeah, we've also now dropped to the foot of the table.

[b]Irish Premier Division (through 6 of 33 rounds)[/b]
1. Sligo Rovers		15
2. Derry City		14
3. Cork City		13
4. Dundalk		9 (+7)
5. Shamrock Rovers	9 (+1)
6. Limerick FC		9 (-2)
7. Athlone Town		8 (+1)
8. Bohemians		8 (0)
9. Waterford United	4 (-5)
10.UCD			4 (-5)
-------------------------
11.St. Pat's Athletic	4 (-9)
-------------------------
12.FINN HARPS		3

Manager's thoughts

Ugh. Well that couldn't have gone much worse. First two games we come out looking like a fairly solid club, and then the wheels come off again.

I'm as befuddled as anyone as to what's going on here. Our opponents play brilliant pass-and-move football against us, while our players get the ball stuck under their feet, or shoot when the better option is to pass, or just flat out return the ball after taking it away.

I've kept saying at the end of a season that I'm thinking about walking away. Well if we don't pull our fingers out, that decision won't be made by me.

I'm hoping it's just because we're trying to integrate a number of new players (five of the starting XI weren't with us last season), but getting run off the pitch isn't going to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived