FM08: Standard de Liège - Home of the Les Rouches

jonahno6

First of all, I looked for a thread and couldn't find. So apologises if there is one.

standard_liege%5B1%5D.jpg

Royal Standard de Liège, usually referred to as Standard de Liège, is a Belgian football club from the city of Liège. They are the current champions of Belgium.

Standard is one of the most popular clubs in Belgium and historically the third most successful club in the Belgian First Division. The team is known as "Les Rouches" ("The Reds" with a Walloon accent) for the colour of their home shirts. Their home matches are played in the Stade Maurice Dufrasne, known as the "Chaudron de Sclessin", with a 30,000 men capacity. There are several notable supporter's groups, the four largest being "Hell-Side 81", "Ultras Inferno 96", "Kop Rouche", and "PHK" - each associated with different areas of the stadium.

The club was founded in 1900 by students at the College of Saint-Servais in Liege, though an administrative error records the date as 1898. Their inspiration for the name was Standard de Paris, a popular Parisian club at the time. A high point of the club's history was the 1982 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, in which they were beaten by FC Barcelona in the final. In 1982, a scandal was revealed implicating several players and trainers in an alleged plan to influence other Belgian clubs to "ease off" toward the end of the season, so that Standard might face Barcelona without injuries. As a result, the club received a heavy fine and - in order to pay it - had to sell its best players. The Belgian titles stopped coming, yet the club remained very popular across Belgium - even in the Flemish north. In 1996, the club absorbed R.F.C. Seraing. Standard appeared to see something of a resurgence in the 2005-2006 season, finishing the Belgian League in second place and earning themselves a place in the Champions League qualifiers. On April 20, 2008 they won their first Belgian League title in 25 years with 3 games left, claiming an unbeaten record of 31 games. Standard defeated their archrivals Anderlecht in the decisive match, with 2 goals from Dieumerci Mbokani who had played for Anderlecht the previous season. The team was one of the youngest in the Jupiler League. 32 Scouts from foreign teams were in the stadium with Marouane Fellaini as the main focus of their interests.

Current Squad

Goalkeepers

1 Rorys Aragon Espinoza

18 Jérémy De Vriendt

16 Anthony Moris

Defenders

4 Dante Bonfim Costa

17 Marcos Camozzato

0 Rodrigo Digao

2 Reginal Goreux

29 Marco Ingrao

15 Tomislav Mikulic

14 Landry Mulemo

5 Oguchi Onyewu

19 Mohamed Sarr

Midfield

6 Wilfried Dalmat

8 Steven Defour

30 Siramana Dembele

7 Grégory Dufer

27 Marouane Fellaini

26 Benjamin Nicaise

11 Salim Toama

28 Axel Witsel

Strikers

20 Leon Benko

22 Alandson Da Silva

10 Igor De Camargo

23 Milan Jovanovic

21 Edouard Kabamba

9 Dieumerci Mbokani

Key Players

Oguchi Onyewu - DC

Dante - DLC

Marouane Fellaini - MC

Axel Witsel - AMRLC

Steven Defour - AMC

Transfer Budget

Title Challenge - £550k

Winner - £700k

standard_liege%5B1%5D.jpg

Yeah, just like all the Arshavin threads that started up during and after the EURO's lol. Might be more people trying them if they knock Liverpool out (Don't see that happening personally tho!)

Tbh i'm actually kind of expecting them to knock out Liverpool tbf... And now that PSV have given up hopes of signing Milan Jovanovic Standard can use him and he will come somewhat of a secret weapon against Liverpool (i hope so tbf).

Allez Les Rouges.

On va se gagner contre les autres Rouges.

Hehe :D

And when the reds ... go marching in ... when the reds ... go marching in ... Oh! And when the reds go marching in, i wanna be in that number... Oh and when the reds go marching in!

Always sing that @ den Bosuil :D (not for Liverpool or Standard reds though :) )

Tbh i'm actually kind of expecting them to knock out Liverpool tbf... And now that PSV have given up hopes of signing Milan Jovanovic Standard can use him and he will come somewhat of a secret weapon against Liverpool (i hope so tbf).

Hehe :D

And when the reds ... go marching in ... when the reds ... go marching in ... Oh! And when the reds go marching in, i wanna be in that number... Oh and when the reds go marching in!

Always sing that @ den Bosuil :D (not for Liverpool or Standard reds though :) )

Well in all modesty i also think Standard is going to win. Its still football so anything can happen.

Den Bosuil mate a GBA fan i see. :) A mate of mine is a ticketholder there. Love the atmosphere tbh.

End of Summer Transfer Window Update

Squad

08252008201837cs0.th.png

Transfers

In

Kevin Mirallas - LOSC - £500k

Daryl Murphy - Sunderland - £350k

Pieter-Jan Monteyne - Germinal Beerschot Antwerpen - £250K

Sebastian Blanco - Lanus - £30k

Seyfo Soley - Free

Emile Mpenza - Free

Andrea Luci - Juventus - Loan

Claudio Marchisio - Juventus - Loan

Elisio - Porto - Loan

Out

Lots of deadwood equalling £200k.

Results

Won all 4 league games so far including a 5-2 victory over Club Brugge and a 2-0 victory over Anderlect.

Through to the group stages of the Champions League with a 4-3 aggregate win over Rangers.

Won the Super Cup against Club Brugge with a 2-0 victory.

Keep us updated mate, i'll keep reading up on it.

Standard were much better than Liverpool today. Liverpool was nothing, loved the commentary on belgian TV :D i think the whole of Belgium was watching and supporting Standard today. Nervous moments killed of by an undeserve Kuyt goal... This would've meant so much for us Belgians :(

Jammy sods :(.

Will keep you all updated, in December at the moment. So i will update at the end of January.

Side note. Witsel is fb, and now has 4 caps. National Standard player bias ftw. Though he deserves it. Awesome player.

Nice job. I'm also managing in Belgium. I'm wtih K.V. Oostende in the second division. We are doing pretty well, only about 2 months in. My top scorer is my 16 year old forward Marcel Verschueren. He originally came in because of injuries/suspensions (a lot of my players have some tempers lol), he scored 2 goals on his debut and has been a regular ever since.

I don't know if its just because it isn't the transfer window but I can't get anyone on loan at all. The option doesn't even come up.

Good luck with your season.

Keep us updated mate, i'll keep reading up on it.

Standard were much better than Liverpool today. Liverpool was nothing, loved the commentary on belgian TV :D i think the whole of Belgium was watching and supporting Standard today. Nervous moments killed of by an undeserve Kuyt goal... This would've meant so much for us Belgians :(

Yep commentary was very nice to say the least. :)

Mirallas has been superb, but I got lucky with him. Was unhappy at the sale of a player and wanted to leave. So LOSC put a £500k price tag on him even though he was worth £3 Million. Daryl Murphy has been good. He's transfer listed from the start for 350k. Pick him up. You should get a few players from Juventus as they are your parent team. I got Luci and Marchisio in the summer and De Ceglie in January. Luci has been the best so far. Sebastian Blanco is a good cheap talent, who should devolp nicely. Might also sell him for big cash in a few years time.

Make sure you tie Defour and Fellani and long term contracts with a high realese clause of around £25 Million. And set their transfer status as indespensible to the team. Teams should back of then.

Hope this helps.

Alright guys, nice to see an interest in belgium football lol Im going to start a game as standard liege now and am ademant to see it through as perhaps my last game of FM 08. Will start now and will post my squad and transfers soon, just wondering am i right by saying there are no work permit problems in belgium?

Jess Boi

Yes no WP problems in Belgium.

----

Great sale on Fellaini irl. 16 mil euros to Everton. The best of luck to him.

It's for £15Million that can/should rise to around £20Million, he looks a good player and I'm sure he will adapt quickly to the EPL, they paid quite abit considering he is cup tied but Liege sold him for a good price :)

• 1 month later...

Archived