FM14: Ipswich Town FC Thread - Life out in the countryside

goosey3131

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm thinking it's best to try and save 100-200m (not so easy on this Fm!) and go straight to a new ground once the fanbase is bigger from regular CL football.

How much did the stadium cost you to buy?

I seem to struggle to break even each month even though I've got some monthly transfer money from sales coming in, plus my wage spend is only £600k a week or so.

I sold Smith, £7m, cashed in - was hard as he was player of the year every year -but replaced him with a better CB who was free on a bosman. I've raided BOCA for a whole host of young stars, some amazing finds there!

going to also try and be like Wenger, bring them in young for little money, play them for a few years then sell and repeat, I always play FM like that - I try and always have sold more than I've spent, i.e so I've given the club success at no cost :)

HATE share dividends still! :(

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

Not long had this FM but have been playing an online game where I got sacked from Cardiff and they were relegated! And now QPR. Started a Man Utd game to master how the tactics work on this one and have been absolutely steam rolling everyone now I've figured it out a bit better!

Anyway, I am going to start a game starting out with Ipswich tonight and will let you guys know how I get on!

Hey guys, just finished pre-season.

I have signed a couple of players and I am thinking of moving on maybe 2 or 3 players as well... don't get too upset if I sell a club legend! I don't know too much about Ipswich!

However, I'll update after the transfer window, but I have received an extra £2m transfer budget with this...

http://i.imgur.com/n1pcW9h.png

Does this happen often?

I don't know if it happens often, but I'm playing with Ipswich on FMC and I got a similar cash injection - about £3M, with roughly £2M going to the transfer budget.

Haven't spent any of it though. My only signings were a couple frees - Keith Fahey who's been great and Sofian Chahed to cover RB because Hewitt keeps getting hurt. So far I'm in 3rd through about 20 games, so I should have a good shot at promotion. Biggest surprise has been Carlos Edwards. Playing as a winger/attack in the AMR slot, he's got 10 goals already, tied for the team lead with McGoldrick.

Hi all,

For those starting off -

Hewitt - Keep him, he can turn out very good, I just sold him in 2018 for £20m to Man Utd.

Cresswell - keep him, he turns out pretty decent too.

Hyman - Keep, another decent prem level player, sell on when you're a CL club.

Tommy Smith - he was really good for me, solid and my player of the year a couple of times, sold for £7m after a couple of seasons in the prem.

Berra - for me he was good enough for them prem for the first 2 seasons, solid enough.

The rest can be sold if needed but that isn't a bad little core to keep.

I'd recommend getting Macheda from Man UTD, I got him for £6k (yes 6k transfer fee) and he scored at Prem level for me, you might get him on loan with a cheap buy clause too.

Anyway, my Town save, at the start of the 2020/21 season now. I'm a CL regular, and I actually lost the title last season in the 92nd minute believe it or not, City beat me to it on goal difference after I conceded that 92nd minute header away at Huddersfield, pretty annoying!

I've had to become a selling club, and be tight with wages, keeping them below 800k a week - much less than other big prem clubs. Have sold ALOT of players, buy them cheap, build them up, then sell when they want too much in wages. Got the balance upto £138m now, saving for a new stadium.....which is in the planning stage - but after 1 year of this it's now due in another 2 years, odd, and I've had no messages/updates about it! Fingers crossed!

BOCA have been like a feeder club for me, some serious talent there - and cheap ish! I'd like to say we will win the title soon, but I think that might not happen until I've got the new stadium + bigger globally, and can then afford to keep more of my quality players.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to start a new ITFC game, with the challenge of utilising the clubs academy and not buying any players, at all, ever!

The only exception I'll make to this is by only buying players who did their scholarship at Ipswich.

Does anyone else fancy doing this challenge?

That will be rather hard! I've had about 2 decent players come through my youth system in this save, and I'm in 2020+ with top facilities.

I've decided to wait until the January update is out, and then will start it in earnest. I did it on FM13 and got quite far - but the problem is if you over acheive, I was a solid mid table Prem side but had one good season....following year I struggled a bit and because I couldn't buy anyone ended up getting sacked!

The harsh realities of football management fairsy! Good to see a different challenge, but would it be too easy allowing yourself to re-sign former players even if they didn't come through the club's academy?

On a slightly related note, I picked up Robert Muhren (relation to Arnold) on my Portsmouth save and he is a decent attacking midfielder at Championship level. I'd already employed Arnold as a coach a few years earlier - not for his stats, but for recognition of what a good player he once was! Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen are also good members of staff to have on board.

Good luck with your challenge.

I tried to sign Trotter too, as I think he is decent IRL and he was sat in the reserves of my parent club (Swansea). They agreed to loan him or sell him but he wouldn't even talk to me. Now, six months after his contract expired, he still won't talk to me - every approach he says 'I don't think your club can meet my financial demands'. Hello, Liam, you have been unemployed for six months, we are a top-half Championship team, with plenty of wages and an un-touched £6m transfer budget. You're really not that good, just a decent Championship level player.

The harsh realities of football management fairsy! Good to see a different challenge, but would it be too easy allowing yourself to re-sign former players even if they didn't come through the club's academy?

On a slightly related note, I picked up Robert Muhren (relation to Arnold) on my Portsmouth save and he is a decent attacking midfielder at Championship level. I'd already employed Arnold as a coach a few years earlier - not for his stats, but for recognition of what a good player he once was! Paul Mariner and Frans Thijssen are also good members of staff to have on board.

Good luck with your challenge.

I think I'd only ant to sign back youth players, there are surely only 8-10 or so that would do a job in Championship/Premiership:

Darren Bent

Darren Ambrose

Connor Wickham

Jordan Rhodes

Liam Trotter

Ed Upson

Tom Eastman

Josh Meekings

Rory McKeown

Owen Garvan

And a few of those would be unattainable until you are in the Premiership (Wickham, Rhodes) and then if you were in the Prem the other then would never be good enough so it's a bit of a Catch-22....

Hopefully the Jan transfer window update will be out soon and I can get started!

I've decided to start early, here's an update on my progress:

I've got through my pre season games and played first game of the season away at Reading. Due to having no wingers in the squad (bar Anderson) I've settled on a 4132 formation, which is made difficult by the lack of midfielders....!

I've sacked Edwards as captain and appointed Tommy Smith to try and keep in with the theme of it being an academy game, who better to lead us to glory than a centre back whose been at the club since they were 16.

Huddersfield were desperate to sign Edwards and I ended up letting him go for £75k, he was only my back up right back and I've promoted Kyle Hammond to this position - if I can get decent money for Anderson I'll take it as he doesn't really fit in my squad.

Pre season:

Almere City (a) - 3-0 (Smith, Murphy, Ramadan)

VVV (a) - 2-0 (Veseli, OG)

Clachnacuddin (a) - 6-0 (OG, McGoldrick, Chambers, Tabb, Lee, Patterson)

I've requested for the academy to be increased to Category 1, and for the Junior Coaching budget to be increase and was met with the same response each time - "Sorry but we're skint"....or words to that effect!

On the first day of the season I lost 2-1 away at Reading (with McGoldrick scoring), but I did manage to start 3 academy products (Smith, Hyam & Lawrence) and bring Marriott on for the last 20 minutes.

I'd say my best starting XI is this:

---------------------Loach---------------------

Hewitt-----Chambers--Smith---Cresswell

-------------------Skuse--------------------------

---------Hyam--Wordsworth--Tabb---------

-----------------------------------------------------

---------McGoldrick----Murphy---------------

Hey all,

Just played a few games of my second season as the tractors boys :D I only signed Albert Crusat and a man city youth midfielder on loan. Ibrhami (sp) and kept most of MM's squad and kept all staff on board. Simple tactics and somehow I managed to win the league! Murphy and McGoldrick led the way with 18 goals each and everyone was chipping in.

First XI in CH

Loach

Hewitt

Berra

Smith

Cressy

Ando

Hyam

Ibra/Tabb

Crusat

Murph

McG

Myself and Wigan run away with it, and I just managed to catch them and won by a single point!

In the offseason, I had a takeover, nearly lost my job but thankfully kept on and signed a new deal. Had a massive transfer budget and wages so I signed lots of players and youths. Got a 5* star striker from my youth academy however before ME left we got downgraded to Cat 3!!

I am having a massive upgrade of facilities with the new guy in now and this is my team 3 games into the season

Steele

Hewitt

Mariappa

Smith

Cressy

Albrighton

James

Hyam

Gary Mackay Steven

McGoldrick

Ings

Lots of young talent and backups signed too. Lots of 5 star players however Hyam, Cressy and McG are all injured for a month or more! Going to be a struggle to stay up but will be good fun.

Also, the bizarre thing is I couldn't sell Taylor and Skuse last year so i released them this year but I sold Gerken to Man City for 300k!!!!!

Yeah man city bought a rubbish GK off me once, random!

Thanks for the update, that is a tidy side :).

Get as many good coaches as you can, get the scouting range upgraded to global and start building your knowledge in south america, manually scout BOCA and Velez too. Try and keep the wages tight as the stadium capacity (+ not owning it) is a major issue once you become a bigger club with a bigger wage bill.

You might not have such issues if you have a rich backer! Try and get a new stadium IMO.

also start making some ties with clubs abroad to expand the fanbase, go for a club in Japan/China, and then America.

An update from me!

2021 - finally won the league! Board have finally approved a new stadium, it will cost £121m and take 2 years to build. I had £126m in the bank, which has now gone down to £30m, and we have taken a loan of just £25m, RESULT! This means the new stadium will only cost me £115k a month :)

Once the chairmans loan of £340k a month is paid off in 2030 we should be nicely stable. :)

PS its 45k capacity, hopefully it will have expansion to 65+?

Nice one Dan. Yeah should be expandable by 20000 or so. Nice little setup. What's the league like in 2021 and where are our canary friends?

I am trying to go the more British signings to start with, that way they didn't struggle too much to settle and the language barrier. If I get foreign yoofs shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Squad harmony is my strong point and probably the reason why I got promoted. Smith is now captain which everyone loves so I have a very happy squad.

I think my backer is decent but he may not have a lot of patience and I'm on a short contract too which is a worry. I'll defo be looking to improve my infrastructure and keep my wages below 50k per person. No where near that at the moment but by having a large squad I have tripled my wage bill.

I am hoping to secure some decent feeder clubs and keep getting some scouts but I don't need too many as I'm focusing on British talent at the minute. I still have all MMs coaching staff so I may improve a little bit as I improve, but again costs need to be kept down.

KUTGW matey

Nowich have been in the Prem since the start, they have had many managers but Brendan Rogers is the current one, they usually finish lower mid table, but have just finished 16th this season, close to relegation. It's good to have the derby match I guess.

Southampton had an amazing year 2 seasons ago and won the league, otherwise its generally been city/chelsea/utd, liverpool have struggled and arsenal are usually a little of the pace.

I actually sold Smith, he was player of the year etc fans loved him, but I got offered £7m from Hanover and it was too good to turn down as it was end of 1st prem season, I replaced him and re-invested the money.

IMO keep wages below 500k a week until you get into the CL, then try and stay below 800k, watch out for yearly wage rise clauses. I tend to be a selling club, buy them young, develop and flog for top price. I must be £120m++ up on player sales now. Also sign players on long term contracts and don't give in to their demands when they ask for new deals too soon.

British talent is v limited and hard to come by, hence I go straight to south america, I've signed some truely awesome players from BOCA, and they have made me some serious cash.

• 3 months later...
I don't know if it happens often, but I'm playing with Ipswich on FMC and I got a similar cash injection - about £3M, with roughly £2M going to the transfer budget.

Haven't spent any of it though. My only signings were a couple frees - Keith Fahey who's been great and Sofian Chahed to cover RB because Hewitt keeps getting hurt. So far I'm in 3rd through about 20 games, so I should have a good shot at promotion. Biggest surprise has been Carlos Edwards. Playing as a winger/attack in the AMR slot, he's got 10 goals already, tied for the team lead with McGoldrick.

A strange thing happened on my Ipswich save. We have more than £11m in the bank. However, the board injected $275k to help with running costs.

• 3 months later...

Archived