The Npower Leagues thread - sponsored by British Gas.

Plainlayzee

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good updates Mr. Layzee, you're doing well to keep your side up in contention. Doing that with a homegrown core is an achievement, and hopefully Thomas will continue as he has started. I'm surprised you couldn't get Mezague, but he is worth keeping an eye on.

Like you, I've stuck with my existing central midfield although I tried to get one or two in before bailing out when the fee and wage demands escalated beyond the level I thought was appropriate. I wasn't after much more than grafters in the middle, and will re-visit these targets again in the summer and see what the state of play is with them.

I tried hard to bring in certain flair players out wide, but they seemed more content to play for B teams in their own country rather than become key players for a promotion-chasing English team. Anyway, as it turns out I made no more signings in the January window but have secured three more recruits for the summer.

Next to join is Dan Holman (Braintree) to boost my striking options. He is prolific in non-league and had performed well for me at Crewe before, so a small outlay of £65k seemed worth it. Additionally there are a couple more Bosmans joining. Tomas Wagner (Viktoria Plzen) is a current Czech U21 international striker and should be a class act at this level, whilst Armiche (Valencia) is a rather sorry-looking winger who has just moved from the Mestalla (B team) to Greece in reality, but was in the Spaniards first team squad in the game. He appears to offer little apart from pace and flair but I felt he was worth a gamble on wages of £650 p/w and he may surprise me and become more than a back-up.

I've gone heavy on positional training and most of my HG youngsters are developing well. Hopefully next season I can start to bring more of them in to the squad, although in that respect, promotion may not be a good thing. We are sitting joint-top in March, but I don't feel under pressure to get up. The board may think otherwise but I know the Championship would be tough with no budget and I'm still in the squad-building stage so will accept wherever we end up in good spirit.

Before I forget, we were rather unlucky losers in FA Cup Round 4 as an 88th minute goal at Swansea saw them edge our makeshift side 1-0. However, in the blank week of Round 5, we arranged a home friendly against Aston Villa to earn a bit of extra cash, and defeated them 1-0 so the signs for the future are encouraging.

Again, a short update turned in to a novel, but I like this thread. I haven't posted any screenshots as I guess I'm copying you Mr. Layzee :p but if that would make the updates more enjoyable, I can force myself to make the effort of taking and uploading screenies.

Some good progress there, hopefully you can stay up at the top of the league and get yourself over the finish line.

I had the same problem in my last summer window, the players I wanted at the quality I needed were simply not available and therefore I had to hold back and save some money. I don't agree with just signing players for the sake of signing them. Sometimes it is better to hold off and see what materialises over the next few weeks/months. Don't forget you can still pick up a free transfer outside of the normal window. I found that players who were too expensive for me suddenly dropped in value and dropped their wages demands once the window had closed.

A player you might want to have a look at is Mark O'Hara from Kilmarnock. I managed to pick him up on fairly low wages. He is only young and can play at both centre back and CM/DM. He is another player who's stats are by no means incredible however he seems to perform fairly well in the Scottish Premier League. Unfortunately I haven't got him on the pitch yet due to injuries but I hope to have him back fit shortly.

The result again Swansea is unfortunately. I hope that you made enough from the games financially to sustain a healthy balance until the end of the season.

As for screenshots, I have never posted them and can never be bothered going to the effort to be honest. I normally play the game at home on my laptop and comment on the forums when in work.

Best of luck,

I agree on not signing players unless you're really convinced. I don't expect to do much business in the summer window when I get there unless I find a really top quality midfielder.

O'Hara does have some good stats in my game and is valued at £2.5k, but has only made 3 appearances. Hopefully that will work out well for you, his versatility could be useful.

Our finances needed a boost as we just started to pay back a chairman loan of £30 million. We are actually paying back £480k p/m now, with £390k p/m on that loan added to the previous payments of £90k p/m on an existing £1 million bank loan. That's why I am limiting spending and sometimes buy players for free that might be sold off for reasonable sums.

As for screenies, I like them but as you said, can't often be bothered to take or load them.

I agree on not signing players unless you're really convinced. I don't expect to do much business in the summer window when I get there unless I find a really top quality midfielder.

O'Hara does have some good stats in my game and is valued at £2.5k, but has only made 3 appearances. Hopefully that will work out well for you, his versatility could be useful.

Our finances needed a boost as we just started to pay back a chairman loan of £30 million. We are actually paying back £480k p/m now, with £390k p/m on that loan added to the previous payments of £90k p/m on an existing £1 million bank loan. That's why I am limiting spending and sometimes buy players for free that might be sold off for reasonable sums.

As for screenies, I like them but as you said, can't often be bothered to take or load them.

Wow that is a extremely high amount to be paying back per month! 480k! Blimey. You need to get promoted and fast!

I though my loan of 25k per month back to the Chairman was bad haha.

I think we are due to start paying back another small loan that the Chairman has again taken out to develop Huish Park. We are having to play at Dean Court at the moment whilst there are some seats added in but I think it only cost around 500k.

You need a gem to come through your academy who can be sold off for big bucks and also a few other sources of income.

I am trying to develop this side of my club at the moment, better feeder clubs, scouting network (to find cheaper better players) and improved stadium and youth facilities. Yeovil are very much reliant and the Chairman or a good cup run to fund things so I need to become self sufficient instead of waiting for the league TV rights payout at the beginning/end of each season.

Haha, yeah this latest loan only just kicked in but for sure I am planning to bring some cash in on player sales. I transfer-listed 15 as soon as I took over, and apart from McSheffrey I couldn't get a bean in.

Elliott and Philliskirk will be leaving for free as I wasn't able to get any fees for them. I re-signed Richard Wood because he was going to be out of contract and was an asset on the balance sheet. I offered him out again as soon as he extended his contract, but no takers yet. Some of the guys I bought in to the club for free were offered straight out too, as I thought this would be the best way of getting some income whilst at the same time ensuring performance on the pitch was not affected. From our first team squad all of the following are available for anyone bidding sensibly: Murphy £350k, Wood £800k, Edjenguele £850k, Leovac £525k, Jennings £750k, Moussa £450k, Fleck £825k, Baker £400k, Vuorinen £160k.

An Irish club did offer a cheeky £130k for David Bell (in instalments) and I accepted this, but then he demanded us to pay £3.7k p/w until 2015 to get him off the books. On principle I refused but I keep offering him out at ever-reducing amounts so hopefully he will be gone. He is earning £5k p/w and is never going to play for me. Other reserves available for sale are Dunn £45k, Malaga £45k, Barton £190k and McDonald £140k. I am trying if possible to keep all our own HG talents who have come through at the club, but will really take any offers for anybody else.

On a financial basis, promotion is important but as a club we are really not ready for it. Knowing that next season we will have zero budget, I had to be active in the market during this first campaign. It was now or never.

I am happy to hear how you are trying to improve the structure of your club. One day I hope I will be in your relatively stable position, and might even get to look at those kind of developments. Until this loan is paid off on 30th May 2014, we won't be very secure, but after that I reckon we will prosper.

At last.. The media don't think I will come bottom! Instead they reckon 20th. Objectives have been set and the board expect me to avoid relegation which I'm happy with although personally I'm looking anywhere 13th upwards.

On the signings front, Nakoulma and Fernandez remain up for loan and so have put bids in for both to give them a full season with the club. Hopefully I can get both in.

Anyone playing or played as Plymouth? I thought I'd give them a go, only just starting and still in season 1 pre-season but I'm really struggling to improve the squad.

To me the squad looks thin both in terms or numbers and quantity and the media prediction of 17th seems to bare this out. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions of free players or will take very low wages or loan players who I should look at?

I've made a few loan approaches but so far been rejected by all as their clubs want them to play at a higher level.

Anyone playing or played as Plymouth? I thought I'd give them a go, only just starting and still in season 1 pre-season but I'm really struggling to improve the squad.

To me the squad looks thin both in terms or numbers and quantity and the media prediction of 17th seems to bare this out. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions of free players or will take very low wages or loan players who I should look at?

I've made a few loan approaches but so far been rejected by all as their clubs want them to play at a higher level.

I've played with Plymouth on previous games but not this one unfortunately. Always found Martin Camano to be a very good player at level though. He's a centreback who can be picked up for nothing. Also, I've scouted Tyler Harvey a few times but they always want too much for him, he's got great potential so try and keep him for as long as possible!

In other news, I've just signed a new three year contract at Colchester!

Playing as my team Leicester, only signings I've made are frees and loans despite me having a £1m budget. Bought in Shane Ferguson and Shaun Cummings on loan from Newcastle and Reading respectively and signed Papa Bouba Diop and Lee Naylor on frees. Loaned out a couple of youngsters but nothing significant.

Sitting 8th after 13 games so not really pulling up any trees but top 6 is still the aim. Got Man City at home next in the league cup 4th round, not looking forward to it!

Frustrating 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon to start the season. Controlled possession, but our passing was poor in general and we didn't look that great. Positioning was poor, shooting was poor. Wingers and fullbacks charging into the middle of the pitch when I'd set them to hug the touchline (I'll let off Compton as he starts with Cuts Inside PPM, but doesn't excuse the other wide players). Had one instance where my Anchor Man inexplicably charged forward and shot weakly from 30 yards out (especially baffling seeing as he has the Looks for Pass PPM), leaving a big gap behind him. Players charging forward then not dropping back, putting pressure on the midfielder who has no easy pass on.

Grrr.

What sort of positions do you need in particular?

Edit: Just having a quick look through the loan list on my Colchester save:

Harry Bunn (Forward, Man City)

Frankie Sutherland (AMC (think he also can play MC), QPR)

Daniel Devine (DL/DC, Aston Villa)

Gozie Ugwu (Forward, Reading)

Hi johnny and welcome. I've never managed at Plymouth but it must be tough. I guess you couldn't find anyone on the 'available for loan' list that might do a job for you?

In my experience a good GK is always valuable. Mikkel Andersen, Neil Etheridge, Sam Johnstone, or one of the Norwich reserves is often available on loan.

Defenders, Julian Bennett seems popular. Shaun Cummings is often available and very good if he will join you. Aaron Martin? Chris Hegarty? Barry Douglas? Adam Bygrave?

Midfield, one of the guys above suggested Lloyd Isgrove. Paul Keegan? Kal Naismith? Kyle Hutton? Billy Waters?

Strikers, Jamie Longworth, Jonathan Obika, Billy Bricknell, Liam Enver-Marum? Andy Cook?

Clubs in Scotland and Ireland are often worth viewing as they pay cheap wages to youngsters and reserves. Or non-league clubs in BSN/BSS where players are on non-contract terms, but you will need to pay a wage on them. Hayes & Yeading have a few decent players but may not be better than what you have.

Best of luck, and welcome to Gizmo also.

In my own game, my Coventry side are sitting top by a point with three games to play. Only two points are separating the top four though, so it's going to the wire!

You're probably right jac, I haven't done L2 on the current update, and Gillingham were relatively wealthy when I did on the original database.

Plymouth are caught part-way between L1 and the 'quality' that Hayes & Yeading could attract. Still, there are a few names and yours too so maybe he can pick up one or two.

Cheers for the replies and the welcome guys. I've managed to pick-up Tyrone Loran on a free, he looks like very good quality for L2 so that's a good start.

I've made approaches for some of the players mentioned and will wait on the response but so far I've had most clubs telling me they want their players playing at a higher level, that was the case with Obika who I have already tried to loan.

I'm sorry to hear that jac. The lower down the levels you go, there is an increased amount of 'random stupidity' but personally I find the ME to be as realistic as I think any game could be. I agree it isn't without faults, and maybe it's because I'm no techie, but I'm surprised you find it that bad. Anyway, sorry that you don't find it fun, that's afterall what it should be about.

I just don't even know what's the problem, whenever I look at people who comment about the game all I can think is "Did I buy the same game? Did I get the same patches as they did?". I had some success on previous patches (got a couple of promotions with Colchester and then Wrexham) but then SI nerfed heavily the dribbling and then increased the difficulty of lower league football (increasing mistakes etc.) and now it's just frustration and depression every save.

Honestly, in my last game. Playing against Carlisle away, go 2-0 up and I'm thinking everything's going great. But it seems that isn't allowed. Their first goal is back is a complete joke. After making all 3 subs (my players were knackered, even on Counter mentality, some of my players ignored my tactics and pressed too much) my left back gets a severe knock, but I can't sub him as I have no subs left. Leave him on, but get my left mid to support him a bit more. Unfortunately this leaves the right back open. He fires in an aimless cross right under my goalkeeper. He should easily catch it but instead what happens is an opposition striker charges into him (dragging my two centre backs over too) and their striker barges down my keeper and the ball goes straight in from the cross. No foul. Second goal. Deep cross from the same area, and their striker (who is average in the air), running away from goal somehow manages to power in a bullet header from the edge of the box. No idea how he managed it, no idea whatsoever.

I've just enjoyed a fantastic first season finale at Coventry.

As we all know, this club has seen better days. With financial issues that worsened when some hefty loans kicked in, and a starting budget of zero and board expectation of promotion, a happy ending wasn't really likely. I tried desparately to balance fund-raising with squad improvement and played most of the season with the majority of my first X1 on the transfer list. Sell-on clauses were cashed in, a dormant parent club was secured, and I even arranged a mid-season friendly for small cash supplements as we struggled along.

Despite that, and mainly through being defensively sound, we maintained a place in the top 3 for the best part of the season. After our last-gasp FA Cup Round 4 exit to Swansea in late January we went on a seven match run (six in the league and a friendly win over Villa) without conceding, although four of them ended 0-0 as Leon Clarke struggled to match his pre-Christmas scoring exploits.

The last of those clean sheets was in a bore-draw at soon-to-be-relegated Pompey in game 39, and was followed by a home defeat to Tranmere, and a loss at struggling Hartlepool. In game 42 we threw away an early two-goal lead as we hosted 5th-placed Sheffield United, but a late clincher saw us home 3-2 to calm the nerves. Then, after holding Walsall away, we went a goal down at home to Yeovil in game 44, before fighting back to beat them 3-1 as we returned to top spot. That left us with our final two games - both away from home - against promotion challengers Doncaster and Notts County.....

Rovers were 5th by then, and boasted the league's top scorer Emile Sinclair, who had netted 26 goals in League 1 during his loan spell. Well, we kept him quiet enough on the day, but seemed to forget his colleagues as they crushed us 3-0 even without anything from their main man. This sorry loss enabled 3rd-placed Notts County to overtake us (and Scunthorpe) and they would sit at the top of the tree heading in to the final week (hosting us next). We sat 2nd, ahead of Scunthorpe on goal difference, whilst Brentford were in 4th, a couple of points back and with a better GD than us.

So, just like IRL, the drama was going to the end. Any of the top four clubs could get automatic promotion, and we had the toughest task imaginable, a trip to the league leaders. But, unlike the week previous, we held our nerve and defended sensibly in our new 4-1-3-2 formation that I had introduced after our barren scoring spell. I wasn't sure if a point from the goalless draw was going to be enough, until a late break saw my rarely-used freebie Finnish striker Hermanni Vuorinen played in, round the home 'keeper and get brought down for a pen. I'd never had a pen from such circumstances in FM before, and we only had a few all season anyway, but what a time to get one like that! My delight was short-lived as I saw him claim the ball - he only has penalty rating of 13 and was nowhere near the top of my allocated takers - but he smashed the ball in to the roof of the net and we closed the game out with ease for a stunning 1-0 win, taking the title in perfect style by a point from the mad Magpies.

Checking the results afterwards, I saw Scunny had been thumped 3-0 and we would have gone up in 2nd even with a narrow loss, but I had no idea until after the final whistle, and it was fantastic to claim the trophy anyway.

The final standings were Coventry (79), Notts County (78), Scunthorpe (76), Doncaster (75), Tranmere (74) and finally Brentford (74), and clearly we were fortunate that the points totals were quite low at the top of the table (poor Bury got relegated with 51). We were solid and workmanlike, but by no means spectacular, as you can see from our final record of PL46, W21, D16, L9, GF58, GA38, PTS79.

Despite all that it was a really enjoyable season, and I reckon the celebrations could probably be heard all the way to Northampton!

I just don't even know what's the problem, whenever I look at people who comment about the game all I can think is "Did I buy the same game? Did I get the same patches as they did?". I had some success on previous patches (got a couple of promotions with Colchester and then Wrexham) but then SI nerfed heavily the dribbling and then increased the difficulty of lower league football (increasing mistakes etc.) and now it's just frustration and depression every save.

Honestly, in my last game. Playing against Carlisle away, go 2-0 up and I'm thinking everything's going great. But it seems that isn't allowed. Their first goal is back is a complete joke. After making all 3 subs (my players were knackered, even on Counter mentality, some of my players ignored my tactics and pressed too much) my left back gets a severe knock, but I can't sub him as I have no subs left. Leave him on, but get my left mid to support him a bit more. Unfortunately this leaves the right back open. He fires in an aimless cross right under my goalkeeper. He should easily catch it but instead what happens is an opposition striker charges into him (dragging my two centre backs over too) and their striker barges down my keeper and the ball goes straight in from the cross. No foul. Second goal. Deep cross from the same area, and their striker (who is average in the air), running away from goal somehow manages to power in a bullet header from the edge of the box. No idea how he managed it, no idea whatsoever.

I don't get it either, it seems that everything you do just makes it worse. I rarely change anything mid-match, I pick a formation pre-match and stick with it, even if I am losing. Would you believe, I played a whole season with no shouts, and 100% of it was on rigid and counter attack? I'm not saying you should suffer from your hands-on approach, because clearly the more effort you make, the better your rewards should be. The scenario described above does sound very frustrating, I wish I knew why. Hopefully you will find a resolution before giving up totally.

I've just enjoyed a fantastic first season finale at Coventry.

As we all know, this club has seen better days. With financial issues that worsened when some hefty loans kicked in, and a starting budget of zero and board expectation of promotion, a happy ending wasn't really likely. I tried desparately to balance fund-raising with squad improvement and played most of the season with the majority of my first X1 on the transfer list. Sell-on clauses were cashed in, a dormant parent club was secured, and I even arranged a mid-season friendly for small cash supplements as we struggled along.

Despite that, and mainly through being defensively sound, we maintained a place in the top 3 for the best part of the season. After our last-gasp FA Cup Round 4 exit to Swansea in late January we went on a seven match run (six in the league and a friendly win over Villa) without conceding, although four of them ended 0-0 as Leon Clarke struggled to match his pre-Christmas scoring exploits.

The last of those clean sheets was in a bore-draw at soon-to-be-relegated Pompey in game 39, and was followed by a home defeat to Tranmere, and a loss at struggling Hartlepool. In game 42 we threw away an early two-goal lead as we hosted 5th-placed Sheffield United, but a late clincher saw us home 3-2 to calm the nerves. Then, after holding Walsall away, we went a goal down at home to Yeovil in game 44, before fighting back to beat them 3-1 as we returned to top spot. That left us with our final two games - both away from home - against promotion challengers Doncaster and Notts County.....

Rovers were 5th by then, and boasted the league's top scorer Emile Sinclair, who had netted 26 goals in League 1 during his loan spell. Well, we kept him quiet enough on the day, but seemed to forget his colleagues as they crushed us 3-0 even without anything from their main man. This sorry loss enabled 3rd-placed Notts County to overtake us (and Scunthorpe) and they would sit at the top of the tree heading in to the final week (hosting us next). We sat 2nd, ahead of Scunthorpe on goal difference, whilst Brentford were in 4th, a couple of points back and with a better GD than us.

So, just like IRL, the drama was going to the end. Any of the top four clubs could get automatic promotion, and we had the toughest task imaginable, a trip to the league leaders. But, unlike the week previous, we held our nerve and defended sensibly in our new 4-1-3-2 formation that I had introduced after our barren scoring spell. I wasn't sure if a point from the goalless draw was going to be enough, until a late break saw my rarely-used freebie Finnish striker Hermanni Vuorinen played in, round the home 'keeper and get brought down for a pen. I'd never had a pen from such circumstances in FM before, and we only had a few all season anyway, but what a time to get one like that! My delight was short-lived as I saw him claim the ball - he only has penalty rating of 13 and was nowhere near the top of my allocated takers - but he smashed the ball in to the roof of the net and we closed the game out with ease for a stunning 1-0 win, taking the title in perfect style by a point from the mad Magpies.

Checking the results afterwards, I saw Scunny had been thumped 3-0 and we would have gone up in 2nd even with a narrow loss, but I had no idea until after the final whistle, and it was fantastic to claim the trophy anyway.

The final standings were Coventry (79), Notts County (78), Scunthorpe (76), Doncaster (75), Tranmere (74) and finally Brentford (74), and clearly we were fortunate that the points totals were quite low at the top of the table (poor Bury got relegated with 51). We were solid and workmanlike, but by no means spectacular, as you can see from our final record of PL46, W21, D16, L9, GF58, GA38, PTS79.

Despite all that it was a really enjoyable season, and I reckon the celebrations could probably be heard all the way to Northampton!

Fantastic season ending for you there mate, congratulations on getting promoted!

Let's hope you can scrape together some money from somewhere and start to develop the playing squad to give you a chance of staying up next year. Do you have any key targets in mind?

I played a bit more last night. Quite frankly I don't know what my team is doing, or how we are doing it, but it's working! Here is a quick run down of my latest results:

H Southampton 0-0 - appalling game, even I wanted to go home, never mind the fans!

A Leeds 3-1 - a brilliant performances, yet again our away from home counter attacking style worked.

H Tranmere 2-1 win. A scrappy game but Iain Hume finally scoring his first goal for the club

H Hull City - drew 0-0 - see Southampton game for more details....there weren't any!

A Peterborough - drew 0-0. How I didn't lose this one I don't know, they missed 2 penalties and I only had 31% possession!

A Ipswich - lost 1-0. S scrappy game on a wet Tuesday night. We had our chances but didn't take them.

H Millwall - won 1-0. Paddy Madden scoring the winner in the second half.

As you will see the results are quite mixed however we are still nicking points even when we don't play well. The win against Millwall was massive as the pressure was on after not scoring for the 3 games before. My teams lack of goals is really becoming a concern now. Madden is our top scorer with 7 goals in 17 games and Obika has 6 in 16 games. I seem to be lacking a 20 goal a season striker who could keep us up near the top of the league.

Overall our performances are still quite poor, we don't keep the ball very well at all and this is proved by the fact that I looked at our stats and in just 1 out of our last 10 games we have had more possession that the other team! Pretty poor really.

The league table however tells a completely different story. We sit 3rd in the league just 3 points behind league leaders Brighton. Peterborough are second. We currently have 36 points from 19 games which means I am roughly 14-16 points from what is apparently 'safety'. (they always say 50-52 points keep you up).

Can I stay in the play off places/automatic promotion? - I wouldn't of thought so. Some of the 'big' teams who started slowly are starting to win games. Sunderland, Derby and Leicester have all gained ground in recent weeks and are only a small number of points behind. However, I would have to stay that clearly the first 19 games of the season have been a huge success, I now need to get past that magic 50 points and go from there. If we fall away and finished mid table it wouldn't be a disaster by any stretch of the imagination.

Off the field I am concerned by our lack of a crown. Just 4300 turn up on a regular basis at the moment despite us being fairly successful. The crowds may go back up when we move back to our own stadium which will hopefully be in around January 2014.

Also I just got offered the St.Mirran job as they were taken over by a Tycoon. They are sat bottom of the SPL and offered me 3m budget to save them. I turned it down without a thought as I have a job to do at Yeovil.

These things happen sometimes I am afraid.

On my save my defence is know to be very mean, we hardly ever concede. However, against Ipswich recently my left back Tommy Spurr played a back pass to Luke Ayling (my CB). He miss controlled it and their attacker took the ball and ran towards goal. My other CB then came across and tackled their attacker and won the ball back, before for some unknown reason playing the ball back to my goalkeeper at 100mph. The GK tried to kick it out and kicked the ball straight back to the attacker who we had just tackled, who calmly rolled the ball into an empty net....I mean, WTF is that all about!!!

In the Doncaster game I talked about where my team played so appallingly bad, I only had 1 shot all game. I could've had more though, infact, I probably should've finished with a draw. My striker had latched onto a through ball and was clean through on goal. He had the ball under his control with the defence struggling to catch up. He then just stopped moving and let the ball roll to the keeper, as if he'd heard a whistle or something. I mean, seriously?

Those sort of things are comical when you read about them, but yeah they do happen sometimes and when it's to you it is very frustrating.

That's incredible how you are getting results despite being second best much of the time, a top half finish (or better) would be superb. Your lack of goals might drag you down so hopefully Madden will step up to the plate.

I haven't progressed any further so not sure what the budget and financial status will be for my 2nd season, but I did receive the news that top scorer Leon Clarke (17 league goals, 19 in total) is going to miss the whole summer as he damaged a hamstring in that last win at Notts County and will miss 3 months. That win was described by the fans as 'OK', which isn't very realistic. You mentioned your small attendances, and that must be hard financially. I think our average was about 15,000 in League 1 but we did get 31,000 against Wigan in Round 3 of the FA Cup so we have good potential if we are doing well.

Behind Clarke, our other top scorers were Thomas (8), Edjenguele (6), Fleck (5) and a handful on 4, which suggests we may end up nicking results like you next season. However, when I went to two strikers we did seem a little more of a threat, so we will see. Emile Sinclair bagged a treble for Donny in their last game and hit 29 league goals, we could have done with that ourselves.

I've done most of my transfer business early, but if I can shift a few players for fees, I might pick up one or two to improve midfield. The GK and defensive positions are really looking good, and I have room to let a few go without becoming weak. I have hopes that my new strikers will contribute, but I haven't managed most of them before and a couple have never played in England, so they may disappoint. Interestingly, another acquisition (Dan Holman) was the BSP top scorer with 23 goals. I bought him with a view to L1, so it will be interesting to see if he can make the grade higher up.

Those sort of things are comical when you read about them, but yeah they do happen sometimes and when it's to you it is very frustrating.

That's incredible how you are getting results despite being second best much of the time, a top half finish (or better) would be superb. Your lack of goals might drag you down so hopefully Madden will step up to the plate.

I haven't progressed any further so not sure what the budget and financial status will be for my 2nd season, but I did receive the news that top scorer Leon Clarke (17 league goals, 19 in total) is going to miss the whole summer as he damaged a hamstring in that last win at Notts County and will miss 3 months. That win was described by the fans as 'OK', which isn't very realistic. You mentioned your small attendances, and that must be hard financially. I think our average was about 15,000 in League 1 but we did get 31,000 against Wigan in Round 3 of the FA Cup so we have good potential if we are doing well.

Behind Clarke, our other top scorers were Thomas (8), Edjenguele (6), Fleck (5) and a handful on 4, which suggests we may end up nicking results like you next season. However, when I went to two strikers we did seem a little more of a threat, so we will see. Emile Sinclair bagged a treble for Donny in their last game and hit 29 league goals, we could have done with that ourselves.

I've done most of my transfer business early, but if I can shift a few players for fees, I might pick up one or two to improve midfield. The GK and defensive positions are really looking good, and I have room to let a few go without becoming weak. I have hopes that my new strikers will contribute, but I haven't managed most of them before and a couple have never played in England, so they may disappoint. Interestingly, another acquisition (Dan Holman) was the BSP top scorer with 23 goals. I bought him with a view to L1, so it will be interesting to see if he can make the grade higher up.

Another interesting lower league signings there mate. You do find them don't you??!!

I am concerned about our lack of goals as well but at the same time I am afraid to change the tactic and maybe go more attacking when we are getting results at the moment. If I won every game in the season 1-0 it wouldn't be bad thing would it :p. Our problem is that if the other team score more than 1, we are probably not going to win it!

Attendances are a real issue but I don't know how to get them up. I know the board can sometime arrange a 'fan day' so I am hoping they do this sometime and get a few people in through the gate. Other than that we are struggling. Imagine if I was in the premier league with 5,000 going every week?? Massive problems.

I suppose the new stadium may help and hopefully next season our reputation will of increased if we can stay in the division/finish mid table. We might be able to pull in a player or two that gets the crowd excited and then get higher attendances. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Going to try again (for about the 50millionth time on this game). Seems I last saved before the Doncaster game. A second chance at the match. I changed a few things (Anchor Man now DLP, Left Back is now WB S not WB A, left midfielder is now a DW). Changed who my Goalkeeper passed to. Somehow, it worked! Went from an awful performance from both teams the first time I played it to completely outplaying them the second time. 1-0 win from an own goal, but could've been more. A few frustrating hairy moments (my defenders deep in their own half hoofing straight to opposition midfielders when there were easier passes on, my players all charging forward for a counter attack when we were just trying to hold on for a lead late on).

Let's see if I can sort out that Carlisle game next...

The lack of an international break is absolutely killing me and my Tranmere save, to the point where I'm tempted to pack it in and start with a team with less internationals. In a two game week, I lost my goalkeeper, Owain fon Williams, both of my centre backs, Donervon Daniels and Ben Gibson, one of my central midfielders, Ash Taylor, and my starting striker, Cole Stockton. That's five of my most important players gone, this in a squad of only around 20 or so.

In a recent game against Crewe, my defence consisted of two right backs, and two youth team players who don't ever really have a chance of making it with me.

I know it's part of the game and everything, but it is just so frustrating and making me want to start with a different side.

EDIT:

I have decided to start again, and Yeovil is the club of choice, mainly due to Paddy Madden. Hopefully I can emulate the success that plainlayzee has had with the Glovers. Also looking forward to managing Ed Upson and Luke Ayling, two players I have been very impressed with in real life

Plainlayzee; You're around the stage where I let things slip away from me, so fingers crossed you can do better at keeping things together. I'm at work currently so won't play till later but should have an end of August update up sometime tonight I'd imagine! Signings and August results will be up, plus some other bits and bobs that I feel are worth a mention.

@ Plainlayzee. I agree with you, I wouldn't change what you are doing at all! Does FM still have these Fan Days? I hadn't seen any for one or two versions, maybe I am just unlucky! As for Holman, he does well IRL, and I signed him in advance for the next season. I was pleased to later see that he was the BSP top scorer as that hadn't been the criteria for me snapping him up. I hope he will be a low-cost back-up for me.

@ jac. It's good to see you didn't give up and hopefully as these oddities get less, you will begin to enjoy and trust again.

@ Jamo. That's interesting to hear about your struggles at Tranmere. I have always intended having a go with them because their squad looks great in the game for L1 level, but I will take that in to account. That's a good second pick anyway, and I like the fact that Yeovil start with a small squad, you can mould it your way easier. I'd love to manage Madden myself, and if I get to a Championship save at some point, he would be one of my first signings. I agree they impressed IRL, and hope you can emulate their success.

@ Gunner. It will be good to hear your update later and see how Col U are getting on for you.

No, I've had it. One game and all the rubbish is back. A striker somehow from a ridiculous angle, not facing goal, first time managing to volley a shot straight through my goalkeeper at ridiculous speeds. A winger with 3 defenders around him somehow managing to flawlessly place a shot into the bottom corner on his weak foot. My right Winger with the PPM (Runs with ball down the right) and set to Hug Touchline constantly cutting inside onto his weaker foot when there is tonnes of space down the wing and, then to top it off, shooting with his weaker with passing options on despite his Shoots from Distance set to rarely. My striker with tonnes of space around him chooses to never bring the ball down and instead prefers to just to just head it straight to an opposition defender. EVERY. BLOODY. TIME.

Still not fully decided on Yeovil. I'm kind of tempted to try and restore a fallen giant, such as a Sheffield United in League 1, or a Bradford in League 2.

Bradford tempts me a lot because of the exciting little and large combination that they have in Wells and Hanson, as well as a lot of quality elsewhere in the team, such as Nathan Doyle and Gary Jones.

Any advice is welcome.

Still not fully decided on Yeovil. I'm kind of tempted to try and restore a fallen giant, such as a Sheffield United in League 1, or a Bradford in League 2.

Bradford tempts me a lot because of the exciting little and large combination that they have in Wells and Hanson, as well as a lot of quality elsewhere in the team, such as Nathan Doyle and Gary Jones.

Any advice is welcome.

@Jamo456 - get on Yeovil mate they are terrific. My only other suggestion would be Bradford. Probably because they are a team I have though of going as in the past. Yeovil you won't be disappointed if you a re looking for a long term save game. Bradford are good for League Two so first season promotion should be achievable, but I don't know how they develop further down the line. Personally I think Sheffield United is a bit too easy due to their excessive finances and fairly decent squad. You will probably get sacked if you finished second!

@Gunner101 - I will try my best not to let it slip mate, hoping I can nick a few points from my next few games and get to Christmas/New Year already sitting safe. I know it would be easy to assume I am safe already, but I have got to this stage before on old saves and managed to lose 15 games in a row and been sacked!

@Jac4121993 - Are you playing as Colchester or am I mistaken? I don't mean to sound like a d*ck, but sometimes you have to step back, evaluate your entire squad and go again mate. A few defeats isn't the end of the world. If you can figure out what is going wrong that would be a good start. If it is the defence, try and find an experiences head to put in there, maybe play a DM so there is more cover for the CB and drop the defensive line so that they can't be caught out by pacier attackers.

@JogoBonito - fire me another update when you get some game play done mate. Be interested to hear how your pre season goes.

I play 4-5-1 with 2 DMs (It's more of an asymmetrical 4-2-3-1) . I have played with this squad on numerous saves, I can see it's strengths and weaknesses. The goals I've conceded in that Carlisle game are ridiculous. The first time I played it, my goalkeeper got rugby tackled to the ground by an opposition striker as a cross went in under his crossbar. The second goal was an extremely powerful header with the striker running away from goal.

The second game, a striker somehow manages to volley in from a ridiculous angle facing away from goal. Sort of like RVP's first goal for Man Utd vs Fulham, only from a tighter angle and a much harder hit (not to mention from a considerably less technically gifted striker).

I have no idea how you defend against these sort of things. I guess I might be able to solve the problem by trying to prevent the cross (as all the goals have come from crosses from the same fullback on the same wing), but my wingers are the greatest defensively. Should I set my winger to man mark the fullback?

I play 4-5-1 with 2 DMs (It's more of an asymmetrical 4-2-3-1) . I have played with this squad on numerous saves, I can see it's strengths and weaknesses. The goals I've conceded in that Carlisle game are ridiculous. The first time I played it, my goalkeeper got rugby tackled to the ground by an opposition striker as a cross went in under his crossbar. The second goal was an extremely powerful header with the striker running away from goal.

The second game, a striker somehow manages to volley in from a ridiculous angle facing away from goal. Sort of like RVP's first goal for Man Utd vs Fulham, only from a tighter angle and a much harder hit (not to mention from a considerably less technically gifted striker).

I have no idea how you defend against these sort of things. I guess I might be able to solve the problem by trying to prevent the cross (as all the goals have come from crosses from the same fullback on the same wing), but my wingers are the greatest defensively. Should I set my winger to man mark the fullback?

So you are quitting your based on the fact that someone has scored a quality goal against you and the referee never went to Specsavers? Come on!

I mean fair enough the match engine isn't the greatest and it does odd things something, but declaring you are quitting your save based on what you have stated is a bit daft. If in your next game your striker volley one in from the half way line you wouldn't quit would you?

I would suggest if you don't like conceding goals you need to change formation and either play 5 at the back or a solid 4-4-2. Have the players set to be rigid and control the game. At the end of the day the lower leagues are a mad house, anyone can beat anyone so don't be put off by one or two defeats.

I'm not even sure why I complained about them to be honest. It was more a case of the final straw than "this is the problem". There's just the constant build up of niggly errors that happen in every game. Defenders putting the ball out for corners from the halfway line under no pressure and then when they are put under pressure, they don't put it out and instead seem to prefer passing straight to an opposition player. Goalkeepers not reacting to anything and not being able to save weak shots straight at them. Wingers cutting inside completely against their PPMs and match instructions (not to mention the gigantic amount of space down the wings they don't use). My fullbacks who think defending against a winger consists of simply escorting them down the wing. Players ruining good counter attacks and turning round and running backwards because someone looked at them funny (my interpretation).

I'm not even sure why I complained about them to be honest. It was more a case of the final straw than "this is the problem". There's just the constant build up of niggly errors that happen in every game. Defenders putting the ball out for corners from the halfway line under no pressure and then when they are put under pressure, they don't put it out and instead seem to prefer passing straight to an opposition player. Goalkeepers not reacting to anything and not being able to save weak shots straight at them. Wingers cutting inside completely against their PPMs and match instructions (not to mention the gigantic amount of space down the wings they don't use). My fullbacks who think defending against a winger consists of simply escorting them down the wing. Players ruining good counter attacks and turning round and running backwards because someone looked at them funny (my interpretation).

I agree to an extent, these things are seriously annoying and if your results are going great they are hard to ignore. But unfortunately it doesn't matter if you are playing as Colchester or Barcelona, the match engine does the same things.

@Jamo456 - get on Yeovil mate they are terrific. My only other suggestion would be Bradford. Probably because they are a team I have though of going as in the past. Yeovil you won't be disappointed if you a re looking for a long term save game. Bradford are good for League Two so first season promotion should be achievable, but I don't know how they develop further down the line. Personally I think Sheffield United is a bit too easy due to their excessive finances and fairly decent squad. You will probably get sacked if you finished second!

Cheers for the advice mate, what players would you say are good enough for the higher divisions, and how have you got on with improving the facilities etc.?

@ Jamo. If and when I start on L2 it will probably be at Chesterfield. I reckon they have a very good squad for that level, and new-ish stadium which appeals to me. I will definitely try them in FM13 or FM14 - more likely FM13 as I have already shortlisted Pompey, Fleetwood, Hartlepool, Bury, Scunthorpe, Mansfield and Newport for the next version in L2.

I managed Gillingham on the original patch and went up to the top flight in 4 seasons. Their squad, to me, looks worse after the transfer update, but it's still reasonable. I don't know if it's still the case but on the original patch, they were entitled to stacks of sell-on clauses available from the sale of Ryan Bertrand, and I had a transfer kitty of about £700k to start with in L2. Even without that, I think they had the 2nd biggest kitty anyway - them and Rotherham get about £180k or so IIRC.

I managed at Bradford in, I think, FM11. They have a great fan-base and attendances are good for L2, so lots of potential there. The squad was poor back then and is much stronger now, plus their real life exploits of course make them more appealing.

If you stick with L1, Yeovil sounds like a challenge. Coventry has been great. Crewe was enjoyable if you want to focus on your own style and HG group (plus transfer kitty of about £300k). I have toyed with the idea of Sheff Utd and Preston. I heard that The Blades actually got a zero transfer budget because of their financial status, and although Preston have similar strife, they get about £300k to start with. Bournemouth have a strong starting squad but only about £80k to spend, and Pompey is for Tom Cruise only - Mission Impossible!

Good luck with whoever you start with.

Cheers for the advice mate, what players would you say are good enough for the higher divisions, and how have you got on with improving the facilities etc.?

Players wise I still have a lot of the original squad, granted a lot of them are squad players as opposed to first teamers. I have got Stech, Ayling,Hinds, McAllister, Upson, Dawson, Madden, Hayter, Webber all in my squad, maybe a few more I can't remember off the top of my head. Ayling, Madden and Upson in particular improve massively and are good enough for this level if not higher.

Facilities are difficult to increase due to the finances at the club. If you can get a good cup run and make some money you might be OK, otherwise you will more than likely have to play the long game I am afraid.

Season 2015/2016 - Championship - End of August Update

Okay, so after finishing 14th last season, I set about improving upon that once again after progress has been made in every season so far! For the first time we was offered the chance for a training camp and so I set up a camp out in the Algarve (hopefully none of our boys go missing..) We also set up friendlies out there against Boavista, Espinho and Vit. Guimarães. Alongside friendlies back home against Leyton Orient and Cheltenham.

First big bit of news from the summer was that of Leicester City's interest in Tom Eastman which unfortunately has now unsettled Tom and he's wanting to move to a bigger club. A quick chat with him as settled him down again but for how long? Losing Tom would be a bitter pill to swallow but would generate lots of funds, easily over £5m for the centre back, although I have zero intention of selling my star man.

From last season, Juan Jose Gomez was released and Jackson Ramm left for Bournemouth on a free transfer. Kem Izzet also retired after spending last season in the reserves and on loan at Burton Albion. The departure of Gomez was the main one, he just wanted too much wages wise for someone who is declining and therefore, I looked to replace him. Cisak also returned to Oldham after his loan spell, and so I needed to replace both goalkeepers. Hugo Fernandez and Prejuce Nakoulma both returned to Blackburn Rovers and Le Havre respectively.

Incoming transfers were Tonci Secer. A young Croatian Under 21 international from Hajduk. He's already played 6 times for the under 21's and played for Hajduk a handful of times. He comes in as my back up goalkeeper at £400k. Next was my number one in Bobby Olejnik. The Austrian born stopper arrived for £325k from West Ham United. Played for Peterborough at this level before, he will be number one for the new campaign. After steady, yet unspectacular stints with me at the back end of last season, Nakoulma and Fernandez return once more, for the season this time. Fernandez is a young defensive midfielder, Nakoulma is an international winger for Burkina Faso. Next to come in was right back Lee Peltier. Released by Leeds United, he knows the division and for free he didn't seem a bad a choice yo be my fist choice right back.

So after the arrival of Peltier, we had three right backs at the club. I decided, due to him breaking his leg, that Obeng would be the man to move on. Crewe came in with an offer of £100k and so I sold him to the League One side. Interestingly, Obeng is the first player that I have sold and received a fee for!

26 July 2015.. Disaster strikes! Leicester City have made a couple of enquires about Eastman, however, no offer had been made, till now. A bid of £6.25m comes in. No options available, just a nice little message saying "Colchester have accepted the offer because it meets Eastman's release clause" Gutted. Had to put it in for him to sign a new contract. I've tried offering him a new contract and he wanted £25k per week and wasn't really interested. And so, three days later, my best player, Eastman has left to join Leicester City for their first season in the Premiership. Gutted. The good news? It's left me for an healthy £4.51m transfer budget and £32,000 spare in the wage budget! Also, centre back was probably the strongest area of my team, and with Rogne, Okounghae and Thompson, there's no rush to replace Eastman.

The first new recruit with the aid of Eastman's departure was the arrival of Wolves midfielder David Edwards on a season long loan. We beat League One Bolton Wanderers to his signature.

As the season approached we finished our warm up matches. We won 4 and lost one, scoring 14 goals and conceding 4.

I feel that this will provide a little bit of an insight to my game and will update at the end of August with any dealings that went on and my first few results in the new season!

Wish me luck!

Great update Gunner. Sorry to hear about the forced sale of Eastman, however the massive fee will see you stable for some time!

Eastman always gets top ratings in every game I have seen at this level. In fact, I noticed he was named in the L1 team of the season during my first year at Coventry, ironically alongside my own CB, William Edjenguele, who was my only representation. Peltier and Edwards would seem to be good solid signings, and hopefully your new GK's will be reliable.

Good luck for the season, and I hope all your squad made it to the airport on time and appreciate their paid-for suntans.

Played my first game of my first season with Plymouth. Testing first match away against Rotherham which we ended up winning 1-2. Both of my goals were scored by my new striker Sebastian Sciorilli signed on a free who joined the club only the day before the game.

Exciting about Sciorilli now, I saw him recommended somewhere and my coaches rate him highly. Still trying to get in some more quality through loans as all of my money has gone now. Does anyone else get the situation where a player or club will reject a loan move to you, on the basis of not wanting to play at your level, only for them to join a rival club, in your league later that week!?

Good start Johnny. Sciorilli looks to have superb ability for L2 level, that should be a real coup for Argyle! What kind of wage is he on? I'm quite surprised you could do that deal.

As to your scenario, yes I have that had that from time-to-time. Also some players reject your best salary offer and immediately go elsewhere on lower wages. But to be fair, this can happen in real life too sometimes, if they prefer a different club and challenge.

Just played a quick game before I go out, drew 2-2 at bottom of the league Bolton which wast great, but next game v Brighton I was 1-0 down in the 89th minute. Sudden two madden goals snatched us a win against the team that are 3rd in the league. Pererborough and Yeovil are now 5 points clear at the top :-)

End of August update 2015/2016

The new season is upon us and without any further additions we open our campaign against Watford away from home.

So we kicked off the season with a poor 1-0 defeat at the hands to Watford. We failed to get a shot on goal all game and we didn't deserve anything. Defensively we was solid though with new boys Olejnik and Peltier dong well. The Capital One Cup First Round followed and a trip to League Two side Mk Dons. We had done well against these in previous meetings (no defeats in five) and we won comfortably, 3-1 and we went through to Round Two.

12 August seen another departure from the club, this time less dramatic as youngster Macaulay Bonne joined Blue Square Bet Premier side Kidderminster on loan for 5 months.

A contract was offered to free agent Andre Bikey after the match, who's also in discussions with rival Championship side Birmingham City. Soon after we faced recently promoted Rotherham at home and despite dominating (they had one shot all game) we could only draw 0-0. Two games, no goals, lacking a cutting edge so far!

A few days later, Bikey decided to join me instead of Birmingham City which was great news. The fans were also delighted, and they recognise the players ambition and determination to succeed. He will be on a one year deal at £2,900 per week. I did also look towards Sean St Ledger (free agent) but decided Bikey was the one to go for.

After the signing of Bikey, I have turned my attentions to that of a new striker. I currently have my scout watching Tom Hopper of Leyton Orient and he's interesting me, but will bide my time seeing as I have Vernon, Dalla Valle, Ibehre and Sears all currently at the club and the first three are all decent enough for what I need to achieve this season.

We finally scored our first Championship goal of the season in the third game. Although we lost again, 2-1 away at Blackburn Rovers. Three games in and it's not pretty right now, 0W, 1D, 2L.

Hallelujah! Finally, four games in we won our first game of the league season! Crystal Palace came to town and were sent packing, a deserved 1-0 win curtesy of a Scott Vernon goal.

Another departure saw the surplus to requirements John Joe O'Toole exit on a five month loan to Blue Square Bet Premier side Portsmouth. The next striker to interest me was Plymouth Argyle's Tyler Harvey, I have scouts watching both Harvey and Hopper at present.

There was to be yet another departure with young striker Duncan Greenwood going out on loan to League Two Scunthorpe United for 5 months.

The Capital One Cup Second Round was soon upon us and a trip to League Two Barnet was the task at hand. We played them in the First Round last season and won 4-2 and we did the same this time, Dalla Valle grabbing an hat trick along the way as we cruised into Round Three.

International call ups came round with 4 Colchester players being selected for duty. Amine Linganzi and Dalla Valle were selected for Congo and Finland. Whilst younger players Mulcaire (Eng Under 19's) and Secer (Croatia Under 21's) were also called up for duty.

It's late in the transfer window and so I decide to open the bidding on Tom Hopper. I go in with a £180k bid which is rejected.

Our final game of the month saw us face Tranmere at home. This is something of a rivalry for me, we have played in the same league in every season, they pipped me to the League One title and have survived alongside me each season in the Championship so it's a game I look forward to. We came out the stronger though and goals from Valle and Vernon gave us a 2-1 win. That goal was also Valle's 25th for the club in 73 games.

I go back with another bid for Hopper, this time £250k which is also rejected.

I offer a trial to left winger Serge Gakpe but his club Stade de Reims reject the request and my interest ends there. Another bid for Hopper is rejected, this time £500k. I go back again, £925k is the bid this time, although again, it's rejected. It's now deadline day and still no breakthrough.

Deadline day is upon us and its been the busiest I've been involved in with the club. Firstly, bids come in for Frazer Richardson and Freddie Sears. I reject the Richardson offer but accept Luton Town's five month loan offer for Sears as Im confident I can land Hopper. I am then rocked by not one, but two transfer requests! Both Gulpen and Didac see their futures away from Colchester but I reject both. I finally then land my man. Hopper joins on a four year deal from League One Leyton Orient. He's earning £3,300 a week and cost the club a record £1.4m! I also take a look at winger Ricardo Vaz Te, but again, I don't see the benefit he can add to the squad and so end my interest.

With that, the transfer window ends and we sit 15th in the league.

Anyway, I've calmed down from my whinging and I seem to be doing well at the moment. Changed the formation, but it's not going to do particularly well until I ditch the "Gets Forward Whenever Possible" PPM from both my fullbacks (seriously all they do is charge forward, not drop back and put pressure on my central midfielders who have no one wide to pass to when we're in attacking positions). Thankfully I've got a more defensive minded DR/L (John White) who can come in if the problem gets out of hand.

Some of my youngsters are showing some promise from the bench. Gilbey has scored a couple off the bench, and Massey in a 30 minute spell off the bench orchestrated a comeback from 1-0 down against Walsall away from home to win 3-1. It was the first game where I wasn't furious my right winger was running inside his fullback rather than outside him!

Archived